DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-26-2008, 11:21 AM

Default Re: BREAKING STICKS

Carbon Fibre sticks do the trick, I must say.

Carbosticks to be precise, strong as, to strong.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbuddy105133 View Post
really?? have same pair, VF SD1's, and they have lasted me two years. I really need to get new ones, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.
I have 2 pairs of the same--- haven't failed me yet!
Old 01-30-2008, 07:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_bailey View Post
Carbon Fibre sticks do the trick, I must say.

Carbosticks to be precise, strong as, to strong.
IMO nothing has the same feel as wood.get the finest grain & straightest wood drumsticks regardless of brand and they should last a long time you just have to pick thru them.

Bonzolead
Old 01-30-2008, 09:20 PM

In my experience what will break a stick;

Hats not settling properly, causing a lip which wears the stick down over (a long!) time, coupled with hard hitting will eventually break the stick

Playing like an idiot and hitting the rims, rather than the drum head, hard

Using cheap nasty light sticks, and playing like an idiot

Id consider my self a hard hitter yet have only broken 4 or 5 sticks in my three years of playing seriously. I know other local drummers who break sticks every week! In my experience its all down to technique, and lack off. Sorry if this offends but it winds me up when I see drummers battering the hell out of their drums - they achieve no greater volume and, in my opinion, only demonstrate a lack of understanding of how a drum works.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:34 PM

I have to agree with Chris, I rarely replace my sticks, and it annoys me to see people breaking sticks, heads, and maybe even cymbals because of poor technique. Not only that, they injure themselves too.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:13 PM

I have never broken a stick but its true that if you have really bad technique then you will be more likely to brake your sticks. I use vic firth 5A ROCK and some times 2B and one pair of my 5A have last me like 5 months. For me i think vic's are the best but thats me.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:57 AM

well i broke a pair of Regal Tip sticks over the summer. my dad also bought me a pair of sticks from this company named Century when he went to the Philippines. they were 5A nylon tip but the tips were quite weak and really big. well i broke both sticks the first one had the tip fly off it and the second one had a nice clean cut down the middle. and just yesterday i broke one of my Steve Gadd Signature Sticks in the exact same form :(
Old 02-29-2008, 10:09 PM

I've started using Vic Firth Extreme 5AN's and I really like the longer stick length because I play with a more open kit. Just one question. For some reason, when I've been playing on these sticks lately, they don't break where the shaft starts to taper like sticks usually do, they break over the logo of the stick. It's really weird. I do rim shots sometimes on my snare drum so I thought it was that, but it happens to my other stick to. And this has never happened to me before. I usually break sticks rarely. Is it the type of stick? My technique?...

-rs

Last edited by drummerbobby7001; 02-29-2008 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerbobby7001 View Post
I've started using Vic Firth Extreme 5AN's and I really like the longer stick length because I play with a more open kit. Just one question. For some reason, when I've been playing on these sticks lately, they don't break where the shaft starts to taper like sticks usually do, they break over the logo of the stick. It's really weird. I do rim shots sometimes on my snare drum so I thought it was that, but it happens to my other stick to. And this has never happened to me before. I usually break sticks rarely. Is it the type of stick? My technique?...

It could also be a problem with a batch of VF sticks?

Tama, Spaun, Paiste 2002, Remo, Vater.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:12 PM

well i just broke every stick in my bag becaue i bought them all at once and they were about 2 years old so now i have to spend like $40 to restock my bag
Old 03-17-2008, 10:07 PM

I have been playing drums for about 3 years now and i have broken only a couple of pairs of sticks, everyone else i know breaks about a pair a month. i normally wear out the wooden tips until they are non-existant before they will break.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:57 PM

the day after I saw Mike Terrana's video "DOUBLE BASS MECHANICS"
in which he talked about how he learned to swipe cymbals etc... which makes em even louder than forceing the cymbal into the post with a direct hit, Keeping that advice helped me to all but stop breaking sticks alltogether because the video also talked about pullintg the sound up and out of the drum rather than forcing power down into it.
whipping off the top of the head via the grip allowing the rebound in controlled motion.
Just work on glancing and whipping more than crushing and you will find LOUDER "cymbal ability" for lack of a better word and clearer strokes on the toms and snare if you try it enough.
working on the basics more, helped me as well.
The best drummers I have seen play rarely break sticks at all in my opinion
Old 04-08-2008, 01:23 PM
Silver Member

The last stick I broke was a Vic Firth Rock and it lasted me three 2-hour rehearsals and a gig. It's all due to heavy rimshots, sticks used to last me up to a year or more before I started hitting rimshots. When you have to be heard through amps with no PA help of your own, something's got to break.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:10 PM

i have used several different types of sticks, from loads of makers, i've been playing for about 4 years oan and off due to injuries, and have broken 3 pairs of sticks...

i've recently started using Vic Firth 5a's.. a good stick for me...my old pro-mark ones were pretty good too
Old 04-23-2008, 10:23 AM

Well I was looking up some tricks to do and I saw on youtube of a guy throwing his sticks at the ground and catching them as they shot back up. And as they say "monkey see monkey do" and...well

Old 05-10-2008, 06:50 PM

Here is the formula for stick breaking.

Poor Technique+Hitting Like There Is No Tomorrow =Sticks breaking a lot

I have been playing drums for almost 2 years now and I have broken 2 sticks only because they were shredded by my teacher's Sabian Paragon hi-hats wich are EXTREMELY thin.
Position your cymbals slightly tilted down so when the shoulder of the stick hits your crash it will leave a minor mark or none at all. With good technique you'll save money on heads and sticks. Don't even get me started on breaking heads haha
Old 05-11-2008, 05:08 AM

Please dont try to tell me I have poor technique, because I know better, but the honest truth is I go through drumsticks quite often. Yes, I play rock and metal as you may have guessed. But ya know, I play my cymbals in such a way to reduce shock to the cymbal and due to this it sort of gives the stick more of the shock, but its pretty simple. Stick begins to shave a some, then its shaved a lot, and eventually it just breaks from being very very thin. But when it comes to just literaly snapping a good stick...now that IS due to poor technique. Peace
D.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerbobby7001 View Post
Hey drummerbobby,
If your breaking sticks around the logo (mid shaft) of the stick, this means that you are hitting WAY too hard, i guess thats all there is too say, so work on pulling the sound out of the drum rather then smashing it into it. Peace man
D.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:59 PM

i have only broke one stick, it was a Zildian 5b nylon dip and i was very intoxicated.

pro-mark 747 can withstand anything i can throw at them and the vic firth Buddy Rich sig seems to be built well for heavy hitting.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:12 AM

i use Vic Firth 5a wood tip sticks. my first one broke were the stick starts to tapper to the tip, is this good? also my other stick hasnt broke but the tip of the stick is no longer round. its a square, so should i junk this stick? the drum shop recomended using oak sticks so i have a pair of Pro mark 5a oak. my left stick keeps breaking at the middle (i have my snare set so i hit rim shots 100% of the time.) but my right hand stick like said either breaks at the taper point or the tip just goes to crap. any help would be great.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiniDave1121 View Post
i have only broke one stick, it was a Zildian 5b nylon dip and i was very intoxicated.

pro-mark 747 can withstand anything i can throw at them and the vic firth Buddy Rich sig seems to be built well for heavy hitting.
I'm a pro-mark fan and while the 747's are great I have broken tons of them. If you want some good pro-mark sticks get either their 5b's (which are fantastic) or their 2b's which I haven't been able to break yet.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:26 AM

buy oak sticks...problem solved
Old 06-27-2008, 09:26 AM

i use to break all sorts of size sticks doing rim shots on the snare , a temporary solution i found was raping the stick with duck tape , it makes the stick last a little longer and doesn't really effect the sound
Old 07-01-2008, 06:04 PM

I agree that nothing seems to have the same feel as wood sticks (as apposed to carbon fiber). I use vic firth 5a's and they do break, but only through wear and tear as any stick would. I swear by vic firths now days as they never let me down. Vater's sticks seem pretty good too, i used the funkblasters for a while and they hold up really well. I tried some 5A (i think) zildjian sticks. Don't buy them, i had a few pairs and they didnt last 5 minutes, the wood seemed very weak to be honest. I tried some other type of zildjian stick, and that seemed to be ok though. I tried a pair of mike portnoys pro mark signature sticks once and i sliced the one stick in half, but that was my fault due to how i hit the cymbal.

My Band
Old 07-10-2008, 08:44 PM

ive been playing around 6 years drums. since then i havent broken a single stick. the only problem ive noticed lately is that my favorite sticks VF 5A chip like hell. has anyone else noticed this or am i going crazy. if you also think as me do you know any simmilar stick from other brand that might chip less cause im tired of buying new ones when i already have like 2 weeks brand new chipped stick :(
Old 07-10-2008, 11:00 PM

When i started playing i used to break sticks every once and a while but after a few months into my playing once my technique was more proper i stopped breaking them so easily...now i have been using a set of extreme 5A vic firths for the past two months and they are in great condition....its wierd because i used to use heavier sticks and was breaking them...now that im working my way down in size im breaking sticks less
Old 07-11-2008, 12:50 PM

it's so funny, I have never breaked a stick once... whatever the reason. maybe it's cause I change them after 3-4 weeks. I like the tips being round, that's why.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:12 PM

i broke some local crappy stcks, but travis barker sign stick is workin great for me, i heard people sayin its not good, but workd great for me :P
Old 07-21-2008, 03:34 PM
Pioneer Member

When I practice, A pair of Vic Firth 5A nylons last me about 6 months.

Playing live I usually end up breaking 3 or 4 sticks a show because I wind up playing harder as the adrenaline gets going. Heavier songs I do alternate and go to a pair of Ahead 5a's.

Christian Drummers Army
Playing Weapons of Mass Percussion
Old 07-30-2008, 08:46 AM

I've annihilated a substantial amount of sticks in my time. Always either from rimshots or RAGE.

Some are more resilient than others, but I never keep track.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:30 PM

in my experience, nothing comes close to pro-mark sticks.
i use pro-mark 5B nylon tips. they're great and last for ages compared to any other makes i've bought.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:23 PM

Default Re: Breaking sticks left and right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum4fun View Post
well i bought a pair of $10 no name, scrappy, crappy sticks and they are the bomb!
$10 for one pair! Holy hell that is expensive!!! A pair of Vic Firths about $6.50 here. Try the Danny Carey Signatures sticks. They are huge, but tapered in where you grip. Truly amazing sticks!
Old 11-01-2008, 05:35 AM
Gold Member

I break a stick a week, having about 5 hours of practice a week. Of course, I'm just 13 and I'm not very strong XDDD
Old 11-01-2008, 05:38 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Breaking sticks left and right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by -tarek- View Post
Try the Danny Carey Signatures sticks. They are huge, but tapered in where you grip. Truly amazing sticks!
They feel great and sound great, but they break way too easy.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:16 PM
Gold Member

I've noticed that parts of a stick gets skinnier when riding on a crash or something. That part of the stick becomes week, and finally gives in, and if you tighten your snare super tight, like when you press your finger on it hard, it doesn't go down, it's just like hitting it on a piece of concrete. With a looser snare, the head absorbs the stick.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:26 AM

I don't break sticks as often as most... (maybe a "thank you" to Pro-Mark is in order???)

but when I do break sticks, it's usually not the whole stick snapping in two. what usually happens to my sticks is the middle of the shaft gets splintered from hitting the rim of my snare from doing rimshots, or the top half of the stick kind of cracks in a diagonal line down the stick, rendering the stick useless. that kind of sucks, I'll be playing and all of a sudden my stick feels weird and wobbly, and I'm like "crap."

also, I use nylon tips, and I've only had the nylon part break off once.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:16 AM
Silver Member

Since I switched to the Pro Mark Japan Oak sticks (7A, 747, and 5A), I've broken 2 sticks. That's been about 5 years ago.

The first was about 2 years old and had been chopped up pretty badly from hi hats and rimshots. I replaced it and gave the pair to one of my students. He took them to a high school basketball game intending to break them (I told him I had been unable to break them), and he finally did.

The second was my first and only pair of Japan Oak nylon tip sticks. Straight from the store, I pulled them out of the sleeve, start playing for a church youth group, and the tip snaps off about 15 minutes later. I don't know if it was a faulty stick or what, but I've not had problems with the Japan Oak sticks aside from that.

I did just buy some coated sticks for practicing, and I'm chewing through them pretty quickly, since I love rimshots and heavy hats.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:20 PM
Silver Member

A good way to resist breaking sticks is to use Easton Ahead
Old 11-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeLovesSabian View Post
A good way to resist breaking sticks is to use Easton Ahead
Not if you play rimshots.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:54 PM
Silver Member

They've never broken from a rimshot from me.
But I don't rimshot that much