DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 09-02-2006, 02:31 AM

Default Re: BREAKING STICKS

I used to have that problem - breakiing sticks all the time. I used Regal Tip 5A Nylon sticks cuz I like the ping sound on the cymbal.

I switched to the Pro Mark Oak 5A Nylons and that has solved the breaking sticks every practice. They really stand up to a lot of hitting. They don't have that live feel that the Regal tips do - so I save those for the quiet jazz fusion gigs I play.

For practice - try the Oak Pro Mark's. They really work

Drummerd
Old 09-03-2006, 03:40 PM
Silver Member

Try mike mangini signature sticks, they work.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:13 PM

Let's see i used Vater Power 5A for a while and i broke sticks normally with those. So I went to Sam Ash and asked the clerk, "What sticks are hard to break?" He said its the how you play with a certain stick. The model has to match how you strike. So I kept using Vater Power 5A and i have been using the same pair for 5 months. So I think you need to keep with a stick and you will find the technique needed for that stick. Now to choose a stick that depends on comfort. This should work. If you keep using a stick and it keeps braking, and you give up hope, then try it with a new stick, but generally not giving up on a stick helps with the constant breaking
Old 09-10-2006, 09:46 PM

i have the same problem, i just buy 20 pairs for twenty quid to practice at home with,i go through breaking one a day, but use my main(more exspensice sticks)at rehersals and gigs.michael
Old 09-11-2006, 08:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelofsheffield
i have the same problem, i just buy 20 pairs for twenty quid to practice at home with,i go through breaking one a day, but use my main(more exspensice sticks)at rehersals and gigs.michael
Wow, you break sticks practicing?

Why do you need such volume and power, when there are no other conflicting instruments?

Personally, I think that's counterproductive in practice.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:59 AM

Dunno whats going on, ive used firth sinced i started playing about 2 years ago, and ive only ever snapped one stick! and it was my own fault for popping a hard rimshot. They got through daily 1 hour practices and a couple of school concerts for nearly a year. I dont know how people can snap sticks that often it just blows my mind.
ONE LEGEND

Old 11-02-2006, 03:37 AM

I used pro-mark millennium II 5Bs and they didnt break as fast as my vic firth 5Bs.

Pearl
AAX
Old 11-06-2006, 11:39 PM

Right Now im using Vater LA's. On pair lasted about 4 weeks, The but ends were hard to get used to but I like them now. I also played Pro Mark Jap oak 747's, they also were ok but they didn't last to long because there SUPER dense. Im going to try VF next, just because some of my favorite players use them and they have alot of rep from alot of players like myself.

And if that dosent work out Vater is my company
Old 11-09-2006, 09:33 AM

Default Re: Breaking sticks left and right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dill X
I break about one stick every one or two practices. ...
That is about normal for me too because I am a hard hitter. I buy 48 to 50 pair at a time.
Danny Meazell
Old 11-09-2006, 09:59 AM

I have only ever broken one stick in around 3 years of playing. That was a 6 year old Vic Firth 5a stick i got with my first kit.

I play mainly jazz, but i also use a lot of metal and heavy rock to vent some unwanted rage, and i do tend to hit things pretty hard, but i guess never hard enough to crack a stick. I ding and chip them, but never anything else.

Another key area to consider is the cymbals and hoops on your snare drum. I use quite curved triple flanged hoops, which dont attack the stick too much on rim shots, and all my cymbals are medium-heavy, so dont rip the sticks open like sharper thin cymbals.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:59 AM

I've played with 2B Vic Firths for around 10 months and they still haven't broken on me. I'm not too much of a hard hitter, but my sticks do have the normal indents in them from rimshots and my hi hat. I'm pretty sure that they'll break within my next couple practices or so.

I'm looking into getting some thicker sticks. Has anybody tried out Zildjian sticks yet? If so, are they of good quality?
Old 11-11-2006, 05:49 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneth View Post
I'm looking into getting some thicker sticks. Has anybody tried out Zildjian sticks yet? If so, are they of good quality?
Thicker than 2Bs! God your hands must be huge. And in this thread theres been countless posts of the porr quality of zildjian sticks, but there is the occosial person that loves them.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin Groover View Post
in this thread theres been countless posts of the porr quality of zildjian sticks, but there is the occosial person that loves them.
Yeah I was looking around different topics and I saw a lot of awful reviews on Zildjian sticks. It appears that people seem to like ProMark and Vic Firth. Since I'm already on the Vics, I may try out one the ProMark brands.

My hands aren't THAT huge. Haha! They're wide, but not bulky.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:18 AM
Silver Member

i got some zildian DIPs a while back, they felt horrible and broke quickly. now i'm using vic firths, i had one defect stick that had the top inch or two break clean off diagonally after not too much use, but the pair i'm on now is holding up well. i'm thinking i may try promark oaks next time, just for a change
Old 12-01-2006, 10:51 PM

heres the thing, you break sticks or cymbals it reflects teqnique. if you break a drum head before its supposed to, then idk BUT! really dont worry about sticks to much there cheap, and as you get better and your teqnuqie improves you'll break less n less sticks. starting out, i used to go through a pair a week. now im going through a pair like every other month.

stay with vic-firth and pro-mark. they are pretty good.

i would maybe suggest some ahead sticks.

GRETSCH, AQUARIAN, PRO-MARK, SALUDA, SABIAN, WUHAN.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:44 PM

Brought a pair of Vic Firth - Steve Gadd sigs for practice use..

Stupidly played a gig with them. Broken after the first song =(

shameful.

Laul.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:41 AM
Silver Member

I used to use Vic Firth sticks but I broke a brand new pair with probably 1 to 2 months of drumming then I switched to Pro Mark and they haven't broken since. I have them for about 4 months. So I would suggest Pro Marks.

"Closed mindedness about music is the death of the musician." - me
Old 12-25-2006, 06:59 AM

I used Pro Mark Japanse Oak 2BNs and they haven't broke on me yet. I had a pair of Ludwig 7As that came with my drumset, but they lasted about a week. Pro Mark 2Bs are thick, so I guess that's why I haven't broken one of those yet.

My Vic Firth 5Bs lasted about 4 months. If I didn't cover them in electrical tape, they probably would've lasted around 2.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:43 PM
fusssion

Hi everyone, ......I dont' have a ton of time to search for EXACTLY what my issue is, so I hope you don't mind if I ask here real quick.

I use Vater Fusion (wood tip), I love them. Perfect size for me, ....they're light, and pretty strong, and usually hold up pretty well.

I am self taught, (90% self taught) ....and I see people saying...."your technique is wrong if you're breaking sticks" ...........well, I'm not too sure if I buy that rationale, but, if someone would like to expound a little, I'll certainly listen ;)

I just broke out a brand new pair last night at practice, and where the stick catches the snare rim, I'm getting a "decent" amount of [call it splitereing for lack of a better term]. Now, mind you, the stick isn't ruined by any stretch, but.....in 3 hours they don't look new anymore, let's put it that way.

Am I sitting too low, is my snare too high, vice-versa? Am I trying to hit too hard.

Hhhmmmmm....anyhow.......anything would be nice! Respond or PM me...thanks
Old 01-05-2007, 02:51 PM

Happens to me all the time. I cant play sticks for more than 30mins without them looking smashed up.

I used to play with my snare flat (at 90 degreed to the floor...if u get what i mean) it was alot easier to play rimshots but it destroyed my sticks. I got through at least a pair a day. I tipped the snare towards me more and i played accidental rimshots much less and my stick life rocketed. Im also self taught and i also get all the stuff about bad technique (although no one can point out what im doing wrong).

Even though i get much longer from a set of sticks now iv given in to the fact that i break alot and just buy Stagg 5As in bulk and have 2 good pairs for gigs.

Basically dont hit the rim :| theres no way wood can beat metal!
Old 01-09-2007, 02:58 AM

dear, stickbreaker

I've been playing drums for about six years total, and it wasnt till about one year ago that i was able to "break" this habbit. these a a few things that seemed to help me.

* cymbal angle, if you play with your cymbals tilted inward you will mostly cease you stickbreaking problem , but at the same time it will create a lot of stick definition and you will loose sound from your cymbal

* if you play with your cymbals horisontaly, then your problem probably comes from not having the right form, you are probably creating a pushing motion , as if you were pushing the stick towards the cymbal, For this i recomend, imagining yourself coming in from the top of the cymbal, and hitting it with a glancing blow just off center, and use your wrist.

* as far as sticks go , i have had a lot of luck with the pro mark 5A , they are a lighter smaller stick that seems to let me play smoother and faster , instead of using the heavier 2B which makes me want to destroy the drums since they are heavier

* and if you can, stay away from aluminum sticks, like ahead, and others, they have a plastic covering that wears off in about the same amount of time and if you dont replace the covering , the aluminum will crack your cymbals

overal, you should probably invest some time in looking up videos on drummerworld, or other instructional sites to see what they have to say

sincerely
mikeladrummer
Old 01-13-2007, 11:43 AM

hmm....
i've got my ahead sticks for 2 1/2 years now and and my cymbals are still conmpletly safe.
but once i've break the ahead sticks^^ (by the way, they're not aluminum but carbon)
Old 01-24-2007, 05:29 AM

I haven't broken sticks in over 6 months and i play alot!
Old 01-26-2007, 05:27 AM
Rickk

I have dozens of sticks, tried them all, I play hard when the music calls for it, never broke a stick?
They wear out but have not broken one yet.
The Best stick I have in my collection is Sound Percussion 5A, dont know where I got them or what they are made from , but they have the best weight and feel of any stick I have picked up.
Have a lot of Pro Mark and some VF and Regal. Vater is nice but the 5b I picked up at a Dave Dicenso clinic feels too heavy for my taste.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:17 PM

i've been playing with VF 8Ds and finding that they'll break from rimshots after a couple of weeks.

VF 5As are too heavy for my taste, and the 7As are too short.

a friend swears Vaters are more durable than VFs. any suggestions of a Vater equivalent to a VF 8D?
Old 01-27-2007, 08:33 PM

Stand By, Activate Anti Slamming filters.!!!!!

I have several kinds that I use. I have aheads both the 5a and the 7a depends on what im playing. As for wood sticks. LOL (prepare for the slam) Promark 747's Nylon tip. Point here is. Japanese oak. Harder than american oak. (key here is japanese oak or as some companies call it imported oak) I dont break sticks havnt in years. I just slowly whittle em away. The covers on my aheads last me several months. a pair of 747's last me about 5 or 6 weeks... Im a relativly hard player.

my 2 cents.

Mike
Old 02-10-2007, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangus View Post
I really dont understand how people break so many sticks. I've had the pair I'm using for at least 4 months.
Your sticks must be real durable. What sticks do you use?
Old 02-14-2007, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMeazell View Post
That is about normal for me too because I am a hard hitter. I buy 48 to 50 pair at a time.
Danny Meazell
Firth sticks I thought sucked...PROMARK all the way for me...Japanese oak last a bit longer for me....I hit hard and go through a pair every couple of weeks and I normally only play on the weekends...Play a lot of RUSH, CLUTCH,LIVING COLOUR....easy listening kinda music!! ha

Mark
Old 02-15-2007, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Smasher View Post
Your sticks must be real durable. What sticks do you use?
I havent broken a set in 3 years lol
I play every wekend
Old 03-09-2007, 05:13 PM

I broke my first stick last practice (about a week ago) and didn't have any others on hands so I just duct taped it up. Hasn't failed me yet...although I have a sneaking suspicion that it might pretty soon :(
Old 03-12-2007, 05:20 AM

I use the Vic Firth 5As and break a stick every two weeks or maybe a month, I broke like 5 in January/February, which were my 2-3 year old ones I hadn't played with in a while, I bought new ones and haven't broken one yet.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:44 PM

I got a 6 pack of vic firth 5AN for christmas for $30. I broke 2 sticks/week. They stink! i like my 5BN vaters better,their heavier than my vics and they last longer
Old 03-21-2007, 09:48 PM

I reccemond vater 5BN to anyone. They never break.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:04 PM

I had a pair of SD1's and they broke on the 8th day i got them and the only time I used them was on the practice pad..
Old 03-23-2007, 08:27 PM

I have a pair of Vater Manhattan 7A for 4 months ...

I play progressive rock and soft rock music.

I broke sticks in the first 6 months of playing drums ... but now I play for 3 years so ...
Old 03-24-2007, 01:47 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by max77 View Post
I have a pair of Vater Manhattan 7A for 4 months ...

I play progressive rock and soft rock music.

I broke sticks in the first 6 months of playing drums ... but now I play for 3 years so ...
Yes, best sticks ive ever played, i still have my first Vater pair! Ive had them for about 10 months i think. Not even a chi[, absolutley amazing! They arn't even shredded or anythiung, they are indestructable! Im only on my 2nd pair because the others got so slippery! Even my second pair though i've had them for 3 months and they are starting to show dents, but still no chips etc. Just small indentations, i mean minor dents. I thought i'd break them today actually but i just got back from a gig and they are fine! I've had the best stick luck ever, or i have good technique, hoping it's technique here. :-) I've broken 2 sticks and 1 tip in four years. I only ever get new sticks because they lose there finish/grip.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:25 AM

The longest I've gone without breaking a stick was about 8 months or so. I played just about everyday (maybe a few sundays off). They were Pro-Mark American Hickory Millenium II 5A's suprisingly. Just thought I'd share
Old 04-15-2007, 10:41 PM

my favorite sticks are by far VF 5b's, but theese are not the most dourable stick. Also in general i like a lighter stick, so i have found two sticks that are not to heavy but that are dourable. VF dave weckle's(this hold up along time for such a light stick)
and the promark neil peart customs, in my oppion one the the toughest sticks to break ever

it took me around a month to break those sticks (which is quite some time for me, i go through around a pair of 5b's ever week or two)
Old 04-18-2007, 11:36 PM

I use Vic Firth Dave Weckl Signature Drumsticks maybe you should give them a try they are pritty good sticks. and if you need some sticks just for practise you should get a pair of those plastic colored sticks, the hallow ones (idk what they are called sry) iv never broken one of them
Old 04-27-2007, 05:17 AM

I still have my pair of ProMark Japanese Oak 2BNs and they still have not broken on me.

I suppose it's the cymbal angles that mostly determine the habit of breaking sticks. Since I have not broken too many pairs within my practices, I thank the positions of my cymbals (partially slanted, not horizontal).