DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 03-02-2006, 12:21 PM

Default Re: anybody hit this hard?

How is the weight balanced? With wood it's the same material the whole way through, so the shape determines it's balance. With a metal shaft and light carbon fibre tip I get the impression it wouldn't have much momentum to it. Oh wait you said "sleeve". So is it metal all the way to the tip, with carbon fibre making up the tip and covering the shoulder? Then maybe the feel is similar to a nylon tipped stick. sorry i'm thinking aloud
Old 03-02-2006, 12:33 PM
Pioneer Member

Yeah the tip is nylon....you pull it off to remove the carbon sleeve...underneath is a metal rod. You replace the sleeve then replace the tip.

I found them more bottom heavy...slighty weird to play with. But I had been using wood sticks for near on 10 years so maybe thats why!
Old 03-02-2006, 05:32 PM
Silver Member

I've been drumming for three years and have not broken a stick yet...even when I used 7A's. All my sticks have is slight chips and some dents. I'm just not a hard hitter.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:09 PM

I love breaking sticks... I'm a metal drummer mostly and once I learned how to hit hard I break them often. I use VF Rock sticks. Nice thick piece of wood. They break in different spots each time, but usually where the rim shot is played. I like playing with a stick untill it breaks to practice grabbing a new one while playing. That is the real art. I had one show where I broke like 5 sticks. I was sick at this gig so I was a little pissed. Snots running down my nose the whole time and just working hard. It was fun in retrospect but I'm not a fan of playing sick.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Best Sticks For Powerful Drumming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbig
After a few months? Dude I throw away sticks before they break and I certainly changed my sleves weekly. And yes they can destroy heads too, when the nylon tip breaks off and you don't realize it in the middle of a song at a gig. Yeah it sucks when that happens.
I call this misfortune.I play with mine since an half-year,and I didn't change the sleeve one time in the past.
Yeah,that's right.But I mean that they don't destroy heads faster than any other nylon tip stick ;-)
Old 03-05-2006, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikaysrivastava
I think PRO MARK 5A are the best for all kinds of music
I love the PM 5A's too. Durable and versatile.

J
Old 03-10-2006, 07:18 AM

I've broken many a Vater Los Angeles-5A like that. They are great sticks, though.

PS. Jason you used your velvet jacket to frame your broken stick ahahaha!
Old 03-10-2006, 08:00 AM
Senior Administrator

lol, it was better than the faded pink paisley carpet in the lounge where i was at the time. that electric blue valvet jacket is a bit of a signature piece.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 03-10-2006, 08:39 PM
Pioneer Member

as a testament to vic firth sticks i was playing "the ocean" by zep, laying into the rimshots the way any true bonham fan would then i notice the right stick feeling a bit weird. played the song through then stopped to check it out.
At the rimshot point it looked like someone took a bite out of the stick but i could still play it. was kinda funny to look at, have no digi camera but will try and get a pic up.
was thinking we should setup a "boneyard" section in your place for pics of everyones busted gear (cymbals, skins, sticks etc.) might be kinda fun. probly not tho. meh
Old 03-10-2006, 08:58 PM

Yea i hit that hard and have sticks like that. i use pro-mark american hickory
Old 03-10-2006, 09:10 PM
Pioneer Member

i hit hard but i always thought that if you do a incredably powerful rim shot you could run the risk of damaging your drum hoops... ? is this not the case and i shoudl bang the hell out of the hoops? i cought a travis barker stick at warped tour after he played one song with transplants and that stick went through hell...
Old 03-11-2006, 12:37 AM

At Kosa Percussion Camp in Vermont, Kenny Aronoff told a story of when he was on tour and actually broke the steel rim of his snare drum by hitting so hard! Man is he loud!
Old 03-12-2006, 01:46 AM

Get the Vic Firth American Classic Metal N sticks. The ones with a red tip. They're like an inch longer than other sticks and have a powerful rock sound. Kinda like a step up from 2B.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:03 AM
Gold Member

go outside cut down a tree and shave off the extra bark and limbs. just kidden. probably the vic firth rock or metal ones. i have played with the rock ones and they are big and produce a loud sound
Old 03-31-2006, 06:07 PM

Default Why do i keep breaking sticks

whats up guys,
to explain my problem, i play a wide range of music. mostly now i have been playin a lot of metal/punk kinda thing. I have a problem of breakin sticks within like 10 minutes of playing. Some people say i play to hard, but thats rediculous, i beleive playing hard is the best way to go. But do any of you have any suggestions on which sticks would be best.
(also, id rather go with skinnier sticks than bulky ones, they feel better and i play better single rolls with them)

Sean
Old 03-31-2006, 06:14 PM
Guinness

Default Re: Why do i keep breaking sticks

Pay attention to how you are hitting your cymbals. When I first began playing many moons ago I would go through sticks just like you until I started paying attention to how I struck the cymbals and drums. It's easy to get carried away, but you might want to soften it up a bit and focus on good technique.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:55 PM
Stu_Strib

Maybe you really ARE playing too loudly. I would bet that is your problem.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:02 PM
Silver Member

Playing very hard with thin sticks will most likely result in broken sticks.
I know you don't like to use thicker sticks, but maybe you should consider it.
BTW what are you playing right now, 7A's?
Old 04-02-2006, 05:45 AM

how about the Ahead drumsticks?

they almost never rbeak (cause theyre made out of plastic) and theyre used mainly for metal and punk cause they make cymbals sound darker

expensive tho http://www.music123.com/Ahead-5A-Dru...s-i10325.music
Old 04-02-2006, 06:00 AM
Gold Member

dynamics man! dynamics! and if you're playing with skinny sticks: 7a + metal = broken sticks
Old 04-02-2006, 06:03 AM

playing hard can be fun, and called for depending on the room and band, but playing too hard (aka 'bashing') is counter productive to everything you are trying to do as a drummer, and it even diminished how much sound you are putting out. calm down and focus on technique, then build your volocity back up, to a point. and focus on how you hit your drums and cymbals. it has already been said that hitting them the wrong way can cause you to go through sticks quickly. this also is inefficient in generating volume and can break your cymbals quicker, especially if you hit hard.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:12 AM

oh and to address the sticks issue:
id recomend bigger sticks. if you play with good technique, a bigger stick shouldn't impede you too much. findsome information on the grip they use in drum corps. these guys are tougher and more badass than any metal drummer wishes he/she could be (no insult to metal drummers, for the most part). they use huge sticks (up to .710" dia, 17" long) and they can play fast with them. the basic idea to their grip is to use the back three fingers for power and control. i use a slightly looser version of that grip for kit and it works great on every stick size.
as for actual models: (im a vic firth fan) X5B, rock, danny carrey model (this one is back weighted a bit so the stick rebounds quicker), or you could look at promarks oak sticks
Old 04-02-2006, 06:14 AM
Gold Member

kills sticks:

rimshots
cymbals
rims
hitting too hard with thin sticks
cheap sticks
old sticks
bad wood

try to get hickory sticks.....hardest wood
Old 04-02-2006, 06:57 AM

The other guy hit it ahead sticks are the answer here...if you like paying 30+ dollars for sticks.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:03 AM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdp 9091

Or check out the Japanese Oak sticks from Promark..they are heavy though, but much harder than hickory.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:15 AM

ill second the promark oak, they feel great and last for ever, i just hate the way they sound on my ride
Old 04-03-2006, 07:23 PM
mlehnertz

Nothing like getting the shock wave coming up that stick and into your body with those oak bombers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
Or check out the Japanese Oak sticks from Promark..they are heavy though, but much harder than hickory.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:45 AM

i used to break cymbals all the time when i played with my hi-hat really high. the angles wrecked my sticks real fast. (i personally enjoy the promark 5a japanese oak, by the way.)

my advice would be check the angles you are hitting cymbals at. i also enjoy hitting hard, and i haven't had a problem with breaking sticks since i changed my setup a little bit.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdp 9091
kills sticks:

rimshots
cymbals
rims
hitting too hard with thin sticks
cheap sticks
old sticks
bad wood
bad technique
bad cymbal shots
lack of study in the moeller technique
redundancy
stubbornness
punk music and the attitude it follows

playing super hard doesn't make you good, or make the drum sound like it's being played well. it just shows that you're playing the drum too loud and most likely - wrong. let me guess, you play some sort of thick crash that you ride with a bunch of pure downstrokes with rebound?

i can guaruntee you you're holding your sticks wrong. i can get the same sound i get with my 5A nylon tips that i do with 5b wood tips. it's technique.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:56 PM

i second kaz
the real solution to your problem is to build better technique because there are different ways to be a hard hitter
hard hitter with bad technique= broken everything
hard hitter with good technique= maybe a broken stick every 3 months

when i was first starting to play drums my teacher stressed technique until i had it perfect and now when i play i can play as hard as i want with any sticks and i hardly ever break them unless i really try to\
btw i use regal tip jazz sticks which are 7a thickness and 5a lenght and i play heavy metal all the time and i break a stick maybe once every 3 to 5 months
Old 04-06-2006, 05:14 AM

I play very very hard. I beat the hell out of my drums. I have broken pinstripe heads I hit so hard. I used to go through sticks like crazy. I prefer thinner sticks too.

This is what I have found works. I use the Neil Peart sticks now (747 wood tip, pro mark) I used to break a stick or two about every hour and a half of playing, now since i have developed some technique, and wrap the tips with electrical tape, I have had the same pair of sticks to last about 30 hours of playing time.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDrums24
ill second the promark oak, they feel great and last for ever, i just hate the way they sound on my ride
quick tangent, I was just wondering if promark made any oak sticks with different tips cause I hate the way they sound on my cymbals, too.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:48 AM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlehnertz
Nothing like getting the shock wave coming up that stick and into your body with those oak bombers...
Hey yeah, no kidding. I just bought some Vater "Recording" models and they are even worse. These things are dense! But they shoot right up your arms and hands. Are most Vater sticks like this?
Old 04-06-2006, 08:49 AM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSexyPanda
quick tangent, I was just wondering if promark made any oak sticks with different tips cause I hate the way they sound on my cymbals, too.
The Peart models are wooden and have a tear shape, the 5as have a more normal shape, and I think you can get them with a plastic tip too (but that probably wouldnt' help your problem).
Old 04-06-2006, 11:12 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiffler
But do any of you have any suggestions on which sticks would be best.
(also, id rather go with skinnier sticks than bulky ones, they feel better and i play better single rolls with them)

Sean
Sean, yes I have ... how about alluminum sticks. I guarantee it won't break, however your drum will ... Whahahaha ! ...No..I'm only joking here. Don't ever use those stupid sticks.

I used Tama American Hickory H213P Sticks - Solid Sticks that are not too slim nor too thick and the feel is great with the right weight - Check it out - It's always out of stock here....but there's a Oak Version....

Cheers !
Old 04-06-2006, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bananagrabber
Yeah, carbon fibre sticks will not break
I broke mine!

http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9553
Old 04-07-2006, 04:45 AM

My only two suggestions to (like Guinness Drunk said) pay attention to how you hit your cymbals, and also pay attention to dynamics, you may be blasting the rest of the band (or whoever you play with). The best way to counter this is to watch yourself play, say, on a video, and check if your too loud throughout the whole song. Remember, dont see yourself as "drumming" to the song, but as "part" of the song (which means playing in harmony with the rest of the band).
Old 04-07-2006, 04:55 AM
Gold Member

Heres a VF SD2 I broke last Tuesday. Almost as gnarly as Jason's I think.
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2006, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Underhill
Anyone here ever break an Ahead stick? I have! Snapped that shaft right in half.
I have already broken two pairs of Ahead TLee Concert while playing rimshots! Yeah, they're all breaking right in a middle.

Last edited by MAX ZNAEVSKY; 04-10-2006 at 12:53 AM.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:35 AM

When I see a stick that is near breaking..like it's not broken, but it will break soon..I break it. I'm obsessive compulsive. I'm not kidding.