DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 11-03-2005, 11:35 PM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Default Re: Breaking sticks left and right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinm
You seem to not to accept someone telling you it's your technique! I don't know how many times drrummers keep breaking cymblas and gear until they fianlly realize a small change in their technique and how they apprach has preserved the life of their equipment.

I am done with this thread!
Good job too, I doubt you'll be missed. You may play jazz exclusively, but for anybody who plays rock music then you expect to break sticks. I've never broken a cymbal or a drumhead (one bass drum head aside) but I've broken a hell of a lot of sticks.

And yes. Vic Firth's sticks are crapola, and always have been. They break way too quickly. Every other brand I've tried has been vastly superior. In order of strength, in my experience:

1) Promark
2) Johnny Rabb
3) Vater
4) Regal Tip
5) Zildjian
6) Vic Firth (and a distant 6th at that!)

I don't like the feel of Promark - too dense, too much shock up the stick for me. Plus the weight feels a bit "forward" in the stick for my tastes. Johnny Rabb aren't available anymore. So these days, I play Vater.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:41 PM

No actually my tips dont wear out, and I play all types of music. I prefer jazz, but jazz in my neck of the woods does not offer many gigs as does diner dance music (boring) or rock. The gig and the need dictates what I play!
Anyway, here is my suggestion, if you can find someone in your local that is a seasoned professional on drumset, not your everyday music teacher, but one who understands the approach to the set, sit in with him/her for an 1/2 to 1 hour and let him or her study your approach. You know it could just be a simple height adjustment, or a tip on the individual stroke. Without actually seeing, it is hard to provide positive feedback. Take a look at Jim Chapins approach instructions, not so much his independance instructions, but how he shows the stick doing the work with you in control producing the same volume and attack as compared to other ways.
Breaking sticks I still do but not at an alarming rate.
Back sometime ago when I was in a hard rock group, I hit pretty hard, broke sticks left and right, even the fiberglass metal sticks ( hated them)! What I found was the angle I was hitting at and adjusted accordingly. Every wood stick has a grain pattern, hit the grain at an offset angle, you get breakage down the grain. Almost like those karate board breakage demonstrations. They break along the grain, flip the grain around, and they bust knuckles. I think you see my point. I also practiced more control using some of the same approaches the great jazz musicians used, then combined their approach to what I was doing. It reduced breakage by quit a bit. Even when playing rim shots. I would love to show you my current bag of sticks with all the rim shot marks. But the sticks are still whole, even with the shafts being narrowed down, yet the changes I made to my angle allowed me to gain more control really reduced my breakage, yet increased my power, volume and attack when needed, while maintaining the same sticks. The neat thing was it benefitted both grips!
By your description I would bet a little tweek would make all the differnce in the world. The key is geting someone that is schooled enough on approach and can see yours. This is the difficult part.
Good Luck!

finnhiggins - what can I say but great mature comment! Keep up the good work!
Old 11-04-2005, 12:10 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahznightsky
I've totaled three pairs of sticks so far on my new drumset since I got it, probably around two months back. Is that too often? I use vic firth 5B's, and I'm thinking I've trying Vater to see if they're more durable ... either their 5B or the Josh Freese signature

what do you think? Am I breaking (they don't actually break, they just fray and split to impossible-to-play degrees) these things too often and I should try tougher sticks? I know there was a thread a while back about vic firth losing quality and stuff ....

My sticks
I'm a kit player, but was playing percussion for a group a while back with a killin' drummer. This kid frayed his sticks exactly like it sounds you do. He had great technique and all that, I noticed that the fray originated where he struck the hi-hat. It was just how he played, but he went through a pair of sticks a week and is to this day one of the greatest drummers I have ever seen, or played with. I agree, it's better to break the sticks than your drums/cymbals. Just try to get an endorsement ASAP.

Keep Rockin'
Old 11-04-2005, 03:03 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:

STICKS ARE DESIGNED TO BREAK. Otherwise your other gear would when you hit them! By the sounds of your tuning preferences in the other thread, you might be a jazz drummer. If that's the case, you most likely don't play a third as many rimshots as I do and your tips wear out before the shaft of your sticks splinter out. My tips don't wear out because my shafts do before they have a chance to.

If you could point out what on earth could be wrong with my technique, that'd be one thing. Otherwise, there's the simple fact that when I switched stick companies from one that has been getting a large number of complaints to a company that hasn't, my sticks don't break half as fast.
Anyway, I do hell lots of Rim Shots on 16 notes accenting/speed and around the kit these days for 3 weeks continuously in my 2 hrs practice each day. I notice my Drum Sticks had chips/splinster on the shaft....and I'm just wondering when it will break besides just some small dents/markings on the shaft...I guess that's normal. I had never broken any sticks before...but it seems like it will at the rate I'm doing it now.

PS: - Hope you don't mind me saying something... bro aahznightsky. You are good maybe even very good in your drumming and I know it...but you are also a very arrogrant drummer...hahahahaha...don't do it here lah ! .... though I believed that it's "A Priviledge To Be Snobblish" - that is also the kind of person I used to be....anyway cheers and no hard feelings
Old 01-04-2006, 09:11 PM

Default How often to you break sticks?

It seems like for every hour or two of playing, I break at least one stick. I have a box of about 25 broken sticks. Granted I'm using some pretty cheap sticks so that's probably why. I like to play loud, but nothing crazy.. probably typical for anyone that plays rock/metal. How about everyone else?
Old 01-04-2006, 09:30 PM

Default Re: How often to you break sticks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix
It seems like for every hour or two of playing, I break at least one stick. I have a box of about 25 broken sticks. Granted I'm using some pretty cheap sticks so that's probably why. I like to play loud, but nothing crazy.. probably typical for anyone that plays rock/metal. How about everyone else?
I have been using one pair for the last month, and they are a cheap pair also. I probably don't play as long as others (usually an hour split between the practice pad and the kit)
Also, I'm not a "hard hitter". I practice hitting the center of each drum, and hitting the cymbals "correctly" Since I am a beginner, I probably practice technique more than anything else (technique meaning hitting the center of the drum, etc.), and play at a slower rate/speed than alot of people.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:33 PM
Silver Member

Very rarely.

duhdfgduhtsgljksfg
Old 01-04-2006, 09:35 PM
Thinshells

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigG
I have been using one pair for the last month, and they are a cheap pair also. I probably don't play as long as others (usually an hour split between the practice pad and the kit)
Also, I'm not a "hard hitter". I practice hitting the center of each drum, and hitting the cymbals "correctly" Since I am a beginner, I probably practice technique more than anything else (technique meaning hitting the center of the drum, etc.), and play at a slower rate/speed than alot of people.
I found a publicity stills of you and your band back in the day.

Old 01-05-2006, 05:57 AM
Pioneer Member

Me too, i've been using very cheap 2.00 bucks and they last me a few hours, BUT, i made the best switch of my life (other than switching from a 4 piece drum set to a 5 piece) and that was to use Vater sticks. Most durable sticks i've ever played!
Old 01-05-2006, 10:31 AM
Stu_Strib

My experience is a stick is a stick is a stick (as long is it is from one of the major manufacturers). If you are breaking sticks, then you are 'beating' a drum and not 'playing' it.

Sticks should wear out at the shoulder (drumset, highhat) and the tip. Usually when you ride the ride a lot, the laquer on the tip wears through and you 'flat-spot' the bead, which gives it a different sound.

Flat out breaking a stick is just evil drumming!

For all you metal heads out there, you don't think Country music, or Jazz music has moments of constant high volume rim shots? Rim shots on a snare dont' break sticks. I would say I could whittle through the shoulder of a stick and break it faster at a funk show than I would ever break a stick at a rock gig.

And Finn, can you honestly say that a Pro-Mark SD1 is any better, or even different, than a Vic-Firth SD1?

I'll use any brand of the major manufacturers. More importantly the one I think is the best is the one that would like to sponsor me (banned smiley here)
Old 01-05-2006, 09:12 PM
Silver Member

Actually I would usually fray my VF 5Bs until they were pretty much useless as well. Its normal for those sticks I suppose. I would play them until all sides the bead were chipped off. I never had one actually break though. I've been using Pro-Mark Japanese Oak 5As and they seem to be very durable. I recommend.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinshells
I found a publicity stills of you and your band back in the day.

LOL Yeah, that was when I was playing my tongue. I wanted to broaden my horizons, so I took up drums. Dang, I thought all that promo material had been destroyed....
Old 01-06-2006, 03:35 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
If you are breaking sticks, then you are 'beating' a drum and not 'playing' it.

Rim shots on a snare dont' break sticks.
)
With proper Rim-Shot Techniques...YES...it shouldn't break the stick and I agree on this.

Even Accenting & Ghosting - In accenting rim-shot even when you do a multiple Rim-shot in 16th notes accenting....it should not break when using correct techniques as I found out.

With techniques, you don't really wack hard to get a loud sound...it's how you hit it. As a matter of fact...Accenting sound most beautiful & smooth, when the accented rim-shot is lifted slightly above snare and you actually don't need to hit it real hard to get the accent (the correct way). For those who is still trying to acquire the skills on accenting (like me when I first started) ... it is indeed normal to hit rim-shot harder initially...but through time & practice. One will know that the best Accenting Exercises on rim-shot is never to hit hard on Rims ...technically also it is really wrong to do accenting hitting real hard (at the same time of course we need to control the ghost notes as soft as possible)....that's the reason why drumming needs lots of practice and stick control is not easy.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:39 AM
Pioneer Member

I break a lot of sticks, and really it for me comes down to the style of playing. I use a lot of shots and heavy playing when I play most styles of music, excluding small combo stuff, but it shouldnt bother you to break sticks. If you practice enough, theyre bound to break.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:45 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
My experience is a stick is a stick is a stick (as long is it is from one of the major manufacturers). If you are breaking sticks, then you are 'beating' a drum and not 'playing' it.

Sticks should wear out at the shoulder (drumset, highhat) and the tip. Usually when you ride the ride a lot, the laquer on the tip wears through and you 'flat-spot' the bead, which gives it a different sound.

Flat out breaking a stick is just evil drumming!

For all you metal heads out there, you don't think Country music, or Jazz music has moments of constant high volume rim shots? Rim shots on a snare dont' break sticks. I would say I could whittle through the shoulder of a stick and break it faster at a funk show than I would ever break a stick at a rock gig.

And Finn, can you honestly say that a Pro-Mark SD1 is any better, or even different, than a Vic-Firth SD1?

I'll use any brand of the major manufacturers. More importantly the one I think is the best is the one that would like to sponsor me (banned smiley here)
I have to respectfully disagree. Rimshots have to take a toll on sticks. You cant get a correct rim shot sound unless your stick is hitting the rim, which I absolutely guarentee will wear through a sick faster than a hi-hat or normal storke on a drum excluding the rim. Also, jazz music does not incorporate near the power and rimshots as rock and metal in almost every instance. If your using as many rimshots in jazz as in heavy metal, your wading, if not over, the edge of being stylistically incorrect.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:50 AM
da cheese walks

i honestly play really really hard...doin loadsa rimshots and just going really hard...i use a lot of ride and a lot of groovey,funky 16th notes on the hi-hat...but i use Aria 7As.....beautiful!!i go through about a pair a month....its amazing how such a thin stick can take so much of a beating!!
Old 01-06-2006, 04:44 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittc89
I have to respectfully disagree.

You cant get a correct rim shot sound unless your stick is hitting the rim,

wear through a sick faster than a hi-hat. Also,

jazz music does not incorporate near the power and rimshots as rock and metal in almost every instance. If your using as many rimshots in jazz as in heavy metal, your wading, if not over, the edge of being stylistically incorrect.
My opinion based on what I'm being taught by my Instructor.

Yes you are absolutely correct..in that a Rim shot means hitting on the Rims....but getting a loud sound using a Rim_shot...doesn't means full-force hitting the sticks real hard on the rim. In techniques, Loud doesn't means hitting with great force.

I am not so sure about wearing sticks from Hi-hats. Techniques taught to me in accenting Hi-Hats is - When you accent the Hi-Hat...you hit the Hi-Hat with the shaft of the sticks FLAT-DOWN like parallel, and ghost hi-hat using tips which is just merely lifting up the sticks after the accent....a natural motion...So therefore wearing of sticks in hitting hi-hat is few.

Yes jazz music does not incorporate near the power and rimshots as rock and metal in almost every instance.

But I think ... in jazz they too uses quite a lot of rim-shot & ghosting played in a very nice & soothing manner based on the techniques on Accenting I describe as above.

PS: Honestly I do not know if drummers who play very heavy Metal or Rock have to really Use Full-Strength to do a Rim-Shot as the Music is different...but my Instructor always remind me and watch my sticking whenever I do a Fast Rim Shot Accenting in Stick Control Exercises and it has to be really consistent in overall loudness (as it sound good & smooth) when blends with the soft ghosting in an entire exercises. He always tells me...In drumming, playing loud is a technique and it doesn't means you have to wack the drums real hard..cause every drummer here in my country knows that my instructor is exceptionally particular over drum techniques. Many a times when I do accenting he has to tell me "Your sticks is too high and you are hitting too hard on the Rims"...Oooops so...I have to be on my toes always.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:50 AM

And to think you can spend $50 for a die-casy hoop only to end up shredding sticks faster. Rim shots must've been guitarists ideas for making drummers get poor faster. We're just stupid enough to actually like the sound. If I play more funk style or Jazz, rim shots are less loud. Rock music, I have to get a huge crack or it's weak.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:52 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by da cheese walks
i use Aria 7As.....beautiful!!i !
Hi...you just reminded me of Aria. I have seen Drum Kit under the Brand Name "Aria" some 28 years ago....Today I have not seen it in my country anymore....
Old 01-06-2006, 05:10 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
I break a lot of sticks, and really it for me comes down to the style of playing. I use a lot of shots and heavy playing when I play most styles of music, excluding small combo stuff, but it shouldnt bother you to break sticks. If you practice enough, theyre bound to break.
Yes so true...we shouldn't bother about sticks breaking. Afterall they are mean't to be broken though I had never broken one before, chipped & dented sticks I had plenty etc. If sticks don't break, chipped or get dented or damaged in any way...Vic, Vater and many other companies will go bust in no time...kekekeke...They are probably make not to last too long.

As a matter of fact, I love to use my drum sticks that are very seasoned....like with chips somewhere on the shaft or dents...and never never use Brand New Sticks. I really feel good as others will probably view me as "A Very Hardworking Drummer" ..... and I hope not otherwise as "Boy this guy really torture his Kit"...kekekeke... I always have a sense of accomplishment when New sticks get damaged somehow...It really means I am really working very hard on my drumming nowadays and feel good deep inside.

Cheers everyone.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:13 AM
Pioneer Member

When i first started i had VF5A's which lasted Just over 2 and a 1/4 years with 1.5hr practice everyday! So maybe i got sum good pairs. Also only one broke, so i bought the same pair again, these last another 5 months so then i had i from the old pair and one from the new pair, then the tip broke on one and they are now they r in my 'percussion' sticks part of my stick bag. My first 2 and a bit years of playing i found 5A's where perfect for me, so thats y i only used them, and i only used them so i only ever had them and another back-up pair. So 2 pairs of VF5A's lasted me 2.5 years.

But now i use VF Steve Gadd sig sticks for most playing, and for Jazz Vater 7A's. I don't like VF 7A's. I find them a bit heavier and thicker than the Vaters. But the SG Sigs r great sticks. Perfect for me, you can get a really good grip on them, but if your a sweater in your hands than i they can slip a bit. I dont sweat in my hands really unless itss a hot day, then i use normal 5A or 7A sticks. Then only downer about the SG Sigs is that they look great when you buy them, with their black finish and all, but cymbals and rimshots take their toll and they get dents/chips like normal sticks but cause they r black on the outside, u really notice the dents in them. But thats only a visual thing.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:17 AM

the only thing i hate about breaking sticks is that after that i have an odd number...i dont know why it bothers me and im not ocd but i hate it...everyone try a pair of vater los angeles 5a i have officialy fallen in love with this stick and now i have a couple bricks of them.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:18 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Yes so true...we shouldn't bother about sticks breaking
they get a little pricey when you break them as much i do tho

--The great Bonzo himself
Old 01-06-2006, 06:01 AM

i've never broken a drumstick....been playing for 4 years.

However, my drumsticks have broken twice, but never by me.

i just buy new ones when the old one are too chippy, or the point where the stick starts to taper turns into an inward curve.

which isn't very often
Old 01-06-2006, 09:30 AM
Thinshells

I have broken a lot of cheap sticks. Cheap sticks are like cheap light bulbs. They seem like a good idea at the time until they die early, usually at a critical moment.

I have come to grips, so to speak with ahead 2b's. I have been using them a lot now, and they aren't broken or chipped yet under the same use that shattered many cheap sticks.

"Friends don't let friends buy generic drum sticks"
Old 01-06-2006, 09:59 AM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Rimshots have to take a toll on sticks. You cant get a correct rim shot sound unless your stick is hitting the rim, which I absolutely guarentee will wear through a sick faster than a hi-hat or normal storke on a drum excluding the rim.

If you are breaking sticks from rim shots, then you are flat out beating the living daylight out of your drum, or you have razor sharp rims. Hi-hat edges whittle away at the shoulder and neck of a drumstick much faster, as long as you aren't bashing the heck out of your snare.

I know what you are talking about; I've seen those guys with big old 5b sticks that are splintering about halfway down the stick. That's the first sign they are beating the crud out of their drums. a rim shot doesn't have to be made 1/2 down the stick...

A lot of high volume gigs will cause you to go through a couple pairs of sticks in a night (Check out Carter Beauford on the Gorge video), but I was under the impression these guys in this thread were saying they broke sticks in one whack of a rim shot.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:13 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
If you are breaking sticks from rim shots, then you are flat out beating the living daylight out of your drum, or you have razor sharp rims. Hi-hat edges whittle away at the shoulder and neck of a drumstick much faster, as long as you aren't bashing the heck out of your snare.

I know what you are talking about; I've seen those guys with big old 5b sticks that are splintering about halfway down the stick. That's the first sign they are beating the crud out of their drums. a rim shot doesn't have to be made 1/2 down the stick...

A lot of high volume gigs will cause you to go through a couple pairs of sticks in a night (Check out Carter Beauford on the Gorge video), but I was under the impression these guys in this thread were saying they broke sticks in one whack of a rim shot.
Just one thing. Rimshots have different tones if the rim hits a different area of the stick. So, a rimshot doesnt HAVE to be made in the center, but that will yield a different tone and feel.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:26 AM
Pioneer Member

I have to buy sticks every other month.. i break maybe 8-12 sticks a year.. the shortest time i have used a stick is 5 min, it is the same size and brand that i am using now.. so, i think the way you play have all to do about how often the stick break..
Old 01-07-2006, 02:02 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
a rimshot doesnt HAVE to be made in the center, but that will yield a different tone and feel.
Yes at times I did rim-shot somewhere near edge of the Snare...so I can't use the shaft to make the hit that will be somewhere near the centre of snare..
Old 01-07-2006, 03:37 AM
Pioneer Member

I never have had a problem with breaking sticks. ive broken maybe 3 pairs in1 and a half years, but thats not bad since ive only been playing for one and a half years. I switched to oak because I like the feel. None of my oak sticks look like theyre going to break anytime soon.

Has anyone noticed that the oak sticks get REALLY dark if you play with them for a long time? Mine constantly look like theyve been soaked in water.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:54 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
I've switched back to hickory sticks now and the results arent bad at all, especially compared to the oaks. None broken at all so far (in maybe a week?)

Hickory is my favourite. I'm using TAMA Amercan Hickory H213P Sticks. They are very good. The weight is not too light and not heavy.

The only Drum Stick that I will not use it to play on my Kit is my "Hard Rock San Franciso Drumstick" which my wify bought it for me when she was there last year. Anyway it's a big fat sticks and I hate Big-Fat-Sticks kekekeke.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:52 PM

Default Best Sticks For Powerful Drumming?

Hi,

I need some new sticks for a gig that I will be doing, I need some meaty sticks. I currently have a pair of Zildjian Jon Otto sticks but I'm not that impressed with them. What do you guys recommend? Vater, Vic Firth etc? What size is best for a powerful sound (2B?)?

Cheers
Old 01-16-2006, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Best Sticks For Powerful Drumming?

You should look at Vic Firth Thomas Lang signature or Vater Virgil Donati's assault... The Thomas Lang model look like some drum corp stick and they are heavy.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:51 PM

Thanks for your help, I will check those two out.

Regards
Old 01-16-2006, 09:04 PM

why not check out the Vic Firth Danny Carey model....they are huge, but they also have a slight groove carved out for better grip, not a huge one, but its alot more comfortable than playing with a tree trunk...ive had a pair for almost a year...amazing sticks when you want some extra power
Pro-mark Japan White Oak
Old 01-16-2006, 09:28 PM
KARL MEMBER

Try some Ahead, they are made for heavy playing...

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:27 PM
Pioneer Member

I do not recommend ahead sticks to anyone, they are terrible, they dont sound or feel anything like wood and the best part is if you're a rimshot player they break. Vater makes something called a nightstick which is a little heavier and bigger than a 2b. Honestly unless you have got some serious control, you will be breaking a lot of gear with sticks like that. I am currently using some Vater sugar maple sticks which are big like a 2b but light in density unlike a normal hickory. Very nice feel and rebound.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:42 PM
Pioneer Member

I used to use Vic Firth Rock sticks back in the days when I wanted to feel like I was swinging ball ping hammers at my drums. You should try them.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:13 PM
Silver Member

Hey now, I love Ahead sticks. The balance is perfect they feel great, and you can replace the tips so you dont have to carry around 4 pairs of sticks and a pair of mallets. I will admit though, like Superflow said, don't use them if you play rimshots. I only use them for my Metal and Punk drumming.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:26 PM

vaters! they are just a good feel.