DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 08-16-2006, 05:09 AM

Default Yamaha custom maple absolute heads?

Hi all,

Don't have a clue what heads to get...got the Remo Pinstripe Weatherkings on it now, at they're much too ringy for me, I'll be recording and need a versatile sound - thing controlled but not choked. Evanc ec2's...something coated?

Oh sizes are for tom, 16x14, 14x12, 12x10

Thanks Much!
Old 08-16-2006, 08:20 AM
Stu_Strib

Default Re: Yamaha custom maple absolute heads?

Pinstripes are too ringy???????

Good luck mate, because there is only one type of head less ringy than those (Hydraulics). Pinstripes are notriously dead sounding.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:39 AM
Pioneer Member

Yea haha Pinstripes aren't meant to be ringy at all. Don't put dead heads on Maple Customs man, those drums are meant to sing. Try some Aquarian Studio X coated heads. These are my new favorite heads. They give an excellent tone.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:28 PM

Thanks we'll give the Studio X's a try.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:57 PM
Gold Member

From my experience, most drummers want maximum tone and resonance from their toms in a recording situation. Usually duct tape, pre-muffled heads, moon gel and the like are frowned upon. In order to get that sound in a recording situation, aside from proper tuning, most pro drummers go with a single ply head. They don't last as long, but they sound great. I have maple custom absolutes that I use for both live and recording and I use coated ambassadors on top of the toms with clear ambassadors underneath. The coated heads seem to bring out the warmth of the maple shells without losing the attack. I tried clear heads on them, but they sounded too "plasticy" to me. If durability is an issue, IMO, a quality 2 ply coated head would sound great on the MCA's. Of course, sound is subjective so experiment to find the sound that YOU like. You'll have a lot more fun playing your drums if they sound good to you.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:50 PM

Agreed, I have coated emperors on my toms at the moment and they sound superb recorded IMO. I certainly wouldn't want anything any duller - pinstripes sound great sat on the drumstool, but awful once you get 6 feet from the kit, and even worse when recorded!
Old 08-24-2007, 09:49 PM

Don't know how I lost track of this thread...E-mail notification must be off.

Thanks just the same to everyone.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:49 PM
Silver Member

Only reason Pins would ring is if they're really tight, like on tenors. I'd say clear or coated emperors, and read the drum tuning bible http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/
Old 08-25-2007, 02:54 PM
Pioneer Member

The most recorded head is a Coated Ambassador. If pins are too ringy so will EC2 they are the same basic concept. Seriously check out the drum tuning bible. You have an awesome kit and to choke the resonance out of it doesn't make sense. Maple drums are meant to sing. Keep in mind that the sound you hear behind your kit is totally different than what you hear 10-20 ft away, so don't base your opinion on what you hear while playing. Have someone else play it and stand in front to see what they truly sound like.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
The most recorded head is a Coated Ambassador. If pins are too ringy so will EC2 they are the same basic concept. Seriously check out the drum tuning bible. You have an awesome kit and to choke the resonance out of it doesn't make sense. Maple drums are meant to sing. Keep in mind that the sound you hear behind your kit is totally different than what you hear 10-20 ft away, so don't base your opinion on what you hear while playing. Have someone else play it and stand in front to see what they truly sound like.
Dead on! Ambassadors all the way, tho I got EC2s on mine which record beautifully ( g1 resos ). Got to get real precise with the tuning tho, because its also very easy to get them to sound dead. I agree with the guy whos surprised that pinstripes sound ringy.. tuning my friend is the secret........ and by the way- cddrums21 is the " master "...pick his brains : )

Last edited by aydee; 08-25-2007 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:58 PM

Thanks All... Some good feedback here!

I've tried the EC2's since this was originally posted but agree with the comparison posted by kona.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrums21 View Post
a quality 2 ply coated head would sound great on the MCA's. Of course, sound is subjective so experiment to find the sound that YOU like. You'll have a lot more fun playing your drums if they sound good to you.
CD...

Have you tried Emperor's for durability by chance?
Old 08-27-2007, 02:56 AM
Pioneer Member

Emperors and Pins are basically the same head, it's just the emperors don't have the "muffle" ring built into them like the pins do. Same goes for the G2's same basic design as an EC2 without the tone control ring.

I used clear emperors for a decade or better and never had a problem with durability. I recently switched to the Evans G2 (evans equivelant of the the emperor) and have had no durability issues with them either.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:06 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stixxs View Post
Thanks All... Some good feedback here!

I've tried the EC2's since this was originally posted but agree with the comparison posted by kona.

CD...

Have you tried Emperor's for durability by chance?
Yes, I have tried Emperors and if you are lucky enough to get ones that don't sound dead and all have equal sound characteristics when they are on the drums, they sound great and last a good while. The G2's also sound good.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:58 PM

OK cool...Kona and CD, Sounds like the G2/ Emperor's will be less muffled than the EC2's coated I've got on there now.

Thanks
Old 08-28-2007, 11:33 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
OK cool...Kona and CD, Sounds like the G2/ Emperor's will be less muffled than the EC2's coated I've got on there now.

Thanks
Yes. I think you'll be happy with either the G2 or Emperor. I found the G2's tuned a little easier but the Emperors had a little more high end frequency to them.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:49 AM

Great thanks Fellaz...Oh And CD those natural maples in the avatar are the BOMB!

...Got any other pics?
Old 08-29-2007, 11:14 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Great thanks Fellaz...Oh And CD those natural maples in the avatar are the BOMB!

...Got any other pics?
Thanks man, I have some pics on the your place forum on here. Let's see if I can get the link on.....

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=13342
Old 09-03-2007, 03:49 AM

Really nice cd...very clean, yet sophisticated with those lugs.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:13 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Really nice cd...very clean, yet sophisticated with those lugs.
Thanks brother, I'll have to post some new pics since I upgraded some things and changed the set up a little...better yet, some sound clips huh?
Old 09-05-2007, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrums21 View Post
Thanks brother, I'll have to post some new pics since I upgraded some things and changed the set up a little...better yet, some sound clips huh?

Excellent! With head selection would be great.

Speaking of micing the Yamaha's I couldn't believe how nice the MCA's sounded at a recent festival, used the Audix D-series mics straight to a Mackie VLZPro. The bass player got on em' so a could get a listen. I mean the sound was just perfect...I was using the EC2's and EMAD Evans heads.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:12 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Excellent! With head selection would be great.

Speaking of micing the Yamaha's I couldn't believe how nice the MCA's sounded at a recent festival, used the Audix D-series mics straight to a Mackie VLZPro. The bass player got on em' so a could get a listen. I mean the sound was just perfect...I was using the EC2's and EMAD Evans heads.
Cool! I'm not super familiar with the EC2's but I've heard alot of good things about them. I'm glad the drums sounded good to your ears, that always makes you feel good knowing the drums are kickin' butt live.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:45 PM

Yeah CD!

I'm still amazed at the difference in the way a kit sounds from behind compared to FOH, I mean i uderstand EQ and dynamic processing, but this was pretty much straight...and sounded fat, but not tubby...focused without alot of overtones, and i didn't mic the cymbals - the bleed from the D1/D2 mics got just enough of em' to keep the harshness down.

...I felt like a 'Rock Star', well for an afternoon...;-)