DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-10-2006, 11:23 PM

Default Best Drum Throne

Hey Guys. I was just wondering what is the nicest drum throne out there the seat that came with my set is pretty uncomfy.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:48 PM

Default Re: Best Drum Throne

Roc N Soc's are nice,
and Pork Pies are good too, they both run for around 150
both good seats, i might actually pick up a roc n soc this week.
they have ones with nitro, so you dont have to spin it, i play on one of those once a week, and its worth the extra 20 bucks in my opinion
Old 08-10-2006, 11:49 PM

Probably Roc n Soc or Pork Pie. With Roc n Soc, you can buy just the seat to put on your current stool, thus saving money... ish...
Old 08-12-2006, 12:58 AM

I just got a round Pork Pie and it feels great! No more peeling your pants off your skin! I went with this size as it's easier to pack and move. The bicycle style seats are too big in my opinion. MF has the PP thrones at a reasonable price (around $120)
Old 08-12-2006, 01:03 AM
Gold Member

I have a Roc N Soc and don't see myself ever buying a different throne. Really, really great.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:54 AM

right now i own the pearl roadster D-1000S and it like it quiet a bit but i just sat on the new d-2000BR with back rest and its incredibily comfortable but 350 Canadian is a bit much i find for a throne but comfort is really important for drumming
Old 08-12-2006, 08:46 AM

Roc-n-Soc Nitro, or Nitro Extended if you are tall. The gas filled cylinder that forms the main post of the throne gives a just enough bounce to soften the ride, without getting in the way of your playing.

The fingertip adjustment lever under the seat mans you can move it up and down on the fly. and it is quite comfortable. I suggest the optional backrest; it will really help your posture, and ease the stress on your lower back.

Click below for a picture.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...e/DSCN8871.jpg
Old 08-12-2006, 09:07 AM
Gold Member

i have a REALLY bad back and a pork pie feels like playing drums on a cloud.

Myspace-Add me!
Old 08-12-2006, 10:18 AM
Silver Member

iv got the pearl d-75 which i like
Old 08-16-2006, 11:08 AM
Platinum Member

Most all drum co's have their thrones made by 'Gibraltar', so you end up with a Gibraltar base, which are (too) heavy. Who needs to lug that extra weight? My pick for best throne is Tama Ergo Rider. Here you have comfort (2 different layers of foam) stability and a trim fighting weight that's easy on your finely tuned muscles and tendons.

The firs run (early) model tops are more desirable than the new ones. The seat is bigger and the vinyl covering is smoother more comfortable. If you can find one, Old- 17.5 wide and 14.5 front to back. New- 17 and 14, that half inch both ways makes a difference in support and comfort.
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2006, 02:38 PM

I have the Roc'n'Soc oversized bike seat with backrest. I really couldn't want a better throne - I'm considering buying a few more for in my studio to have at the keyboard and percussion rigs. Really comfortable even if you're quite big (like me), and the Custom Percussion base that they come with in the UK is very high quality, very sturdy and not over-heavy. I also use it for some guitar gigs.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:58 AM

Roc n soc is the way to go. BUT... Isn't it a shame as to the price of drum thrones? I mean were talking about a freaking seat here! Not a recliner. I cant see how they can price drum thrones the way they do. I guess as long as we keep buying them they'll keep going up!
Old 08-20-2006, 03:52 AM

Tam widerider cloth top, comfort
Old 08-20-2006, 04:34 AM
Gold Member

i ninth the roc-n-soc nitro. from experience. it's awesome. i went from basically a piece

of cardboard to a la-z boy. it's worth the dough. i tried a pork pie, and it was ok.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:12 PM

Tama Ergo-Rider with backrest and cloth seat. Love it....
Old 08-20-2006, 06:01 PM

Roc'n'Soc with backrest. Feels like you are sitting on a cloud!! :-)
Old 08-26-2006, 05:58 AM
Silver Member

anybody short have a nitro? thats what im looking at and im a small un
Old 08-26-2006, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauk
anybody short have a nitro? thats what im looking at and im a small un
I believe the standard Nitro has a range of 18 to 24 inches, it should suit you fine unless you are unusually short.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:23 AM

I just treated myself to a Roc n Soc and its the most comfortable throne I've ever used.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salicete
I believe the standard Nitro has a range of 18 to 24 inches, it should suit you fine unless you are unusually short.
shweet. thanks for the info
Old 08-26-2006, 04:02 PM

The best throne but i mean The Best Throne is - Yamaha DS 950 bench style , or the Yamaha DS 1100 ... or if you looking for a round seat - Yamaha DS 840 .
these thrones are for LIFE TIME and they the most comfortable thrones you'll ever sit on !!!
Old 09-04-2006, 02:52 AM

well i've been using a seat just like this for over four years now
it came with my good ol pearl target kit earlier today i was tryin to learn chris adlers fill in ruin which if anyone knows it, takes a bit of welly!!
right in the middle of the bass drum paradiddle (i'm a poet and i'm unaware of it!!)
the bar snapped and i was smacked with a face full of remo! so now i needs advice i'm 6'4 so i've a long back, comfort is nice but ergonomics too? i'm gonna splash out methinks...... at least a little bit

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=8446
Old 09-04-2006, 05:28 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore
Most all drum co's have their thrones made by 'Gibraltar', so you end up with a Gibraltar base, which are (too) heavy. Who needs to lug that extra weight? My pick for best throne is Tama Ergo Rider. Here you have comfort (2 different layers of foam) stability and a trim fighting weight that's easy on your finely tuned muscles and tendons.

The firs run (early) model tops are more desirable than the new ones. The seat is bigger and the vinyl covering is smoother more comfortable. If you can find one, Old- 17.5 wide and 14.5 front to back. New- 17 and 14, that half inch both ways makes a difference in support and comfort.
I have this seat, and need it because the kind with smooth tubes, wont hold my weight. This threaded post is the way to go.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:55 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccox01
Hey Guys. I was just wondering what is the nicest drum throne out there the seat that came with my set is pretty uncomfy.
I have had a Pork Pie round and a Roc-N-Soc tractor. Right now I am using a DW because the foam is harder. That's right; it is harder. The Pork Pie was so soft that I was starting to develop back problems. I therefore did an A/B test between the two and, with the DW, the back problem disappeared. The Roc-N-Soc wore out and was long overdue for a replacement. Probably the best throne that I can recall are the old Tama Titan thrones. Their only drawback was the vinyl covering tended to tear. I want to say something in all honesty here about this debate...This shouldn't be about brand loyalty; it should be about what makes you physically comfortable. Back problems can all but kill your drumming career and turn what should be an enjoyable experience into dread. One of the issues that we drummers face is the amount of heavy gear we have to lug around. Once you are set-up on the gig, you should have to take another beating. Take good care of your back and you enjoy longevity in your drumming!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXMxJw0VnqE

http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 09-08-2006, 06:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitch
I have had a Pork Pie round and a Roc-N-Soc tractor. Right now I am using a DW because the foam is harder. That's right; it is harder. The Pork Pie was so soft that I was starting to develop back problems. I therefore did an A/B test between the two and, with the DW, the back problem disappeared. The Roc-N-Soc wore out and was long overdue for a replacement. Probably the best throne that I can recall are the old Tama Titan thrones. Their only drawback was the vinyl covering tended to tear. I want to say something in all honesty here about this debate...This shouldn't be about brand loyalty; it should be about what makes you physically comfortable. Back problems can all but kill your drumming career and turn what should be an enjoyable experience into dread. One of the issues that we drummers face is the amount of heavy gear we have to lug around. Once you are set-up on the gig, you should have to take another beating. Take good care of your back and you enjoy longevity in your drumming!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXMxJw0VnqE

http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Mike brings up some good points, the Pork thrones foam gives little support, Roc-n-Soc is in that same catagory (cheap foam). A firmer seat will help you balance better on the stool, providing less movement due to firmness. The Tama Ergo provides support and comfort (hard to find in the seat arena) along with a decent overall weight for its size and what it does.

DW, Pearl,Yamaha have gotten on the 'support foam' train in the last few years with their top models also in order to up their quality, any of these brands are worth checking into. You want firm (not hard or soft) for best performance and physical comfort.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:07 AM
Gold Member

i ordered a porkpie leapard on purple drum thrown. it is pimp-tackular but it should feel good on my back. they feel pretty awesome. and they have 96 colors so you can always match your set.

Myspace-Add me!
Old 09-08-2006, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollymosher
i ordered a porkpie leapard on purple drum thrown. it is pimp-tackular but it should feel good on my back. they feel pretty awesome. and they have 96 colors so you can always match your set.
... cool! Get back to us after you put in a couple thousand hours on your Pork.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:05 PM

I have a Soundseat "WideAss" with the optional back rest. It's the most comfortable seat I've ever had.

Old 09-08-2006, 08:58 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore
... cool! Get back to us after you put in a couple thousand hours on your Pork.
Sure thing man! i will be able to spend many hours on it too.

Myspace-Add me!
Old 09-15-2006, 01:22 AM
Platinum Member

Roc-n-soc nitro ride throne. Theres none better IMHO.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:23 AM

Roc-n-soc > Everything else
Old 10-27-2006, 07:44 AM

i just recently got a "first chair" tama throne on ebay... and it is SOOO nice. The only other thrones i've been playing on is the school's pearl speed seat (awful, a piece of metal with leather stretched over it.) and my old Yamaha throne (don't know the model name, but it's too squishy.) The first chair is TONS better. but i'd really like to put a back on it... those 2 hour gigs of straight music get very uncomfortable without a back.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:56 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrankenator

well i've been using a seat just like this for over four years now
it came with my good ol pearl target kit earlier today i was tryin to learn chris adlers fill in ruin which if anyone knows it, takes a bit of welly!!
right in the middle of the bass drum paradiddle (i'm a poet and i'm unaware of it!!)
the bar snapped and i was smacked with a face full of remo! so now i needs advice i'm 6'4 so i've a long back, comfort is nice but ergonomics too? i'm gonna splash out methinks...... at least a little bit
Huh? There is no paradiddle in that fill?! Have you seen his explanation of it on Killadelphia?
Old 10-27-2006, 05:49 PM
Stu_Strib

This month's issue of modern drummer has a whole review of about 50 drum thrones!
Old 10-27-2006, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altered_beast
Huh? There is no paradiddle in that fill?! Have you seen his explanation of it on Killadelphia?
which... if i'm not mistaken he does a backwards right-footed paradiddle. more of a diddlepara, yeah?
Old 10-31-2006, 05:12 AM

The Tama ErgoRider with back rest and quad base for more stability. Very, very comfortable.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:19 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedox1024
which... if i'm not mistaken he does a backwards right-footed paradiddle. more of a diddlepara, yeah?
i never thought of it in terms of rudiments, more just a movement. i'm not one for breaking stuff down but i couldn't think of where there'd be a paradiddle. you are talking about the second half of the fill with the toms and the triplets on the kick pedal aren't you?
Old 11-01-2006, 05:14 AM

I have a Roc N Soc Nitro-Lift and I must say I like it alot more than the Pork Pie thrones.

My Kit
Old 02-16-2007, 06:03 PM

Pearl 2000BR ---> in one word: WOW!!!! (a bit expensive though!)
Old 02-16-2007, 08:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib View Post
This month's issue of modern drummer has a whole review of about 50 drum thrones!
What month is that? Modern drummer is usually 6 weeks late here, so what Morden Drummer is that throne test in? I have a crap throne that kills my back after 45mins of playing, and 45 mins a day is not enough! I am now looking at the Pearl D-2000 and the Gibraltar top of the line seat. I am considering Yamaha and DW aswell, would you recomend any ONE seat? I need one quick, and shipping from US to Norway is a couple of weeks, so I would like to order soon....

Thanks