DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 08-03-2006, 02:49 PM
Silver Member

Default Aquarian thoughts...

After reading on this board about how great Aquarian heads are, I put some Response 2s on my toms a few weeks ago. Sure, they sound fine but they aren't the "holy grail" that some folks claim. According to Aquarian, the Reponse 2 is supposed to be comparable to Evans G2 and Remo Emperor. I would agree, comparable but not superior. Of course this is all subjective, use what works for you to get the sound you like, but in my opinion, they're not any better than Remo or Evans.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:37 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Aquarian thoughts...

The way I look at it, a lot of the heads sound and feel has to do with the drum you have behind it. I don't see any brand as more superior than the other, although I do have my preferences. I haven't had favorable experiences with Aquarians as batter heads. I find they dent too easily, although the Superkick II is a mosnter as far durabilty is concenred, I find that it too chocked for my liking. I like the durablity of my Evans heads. They seem fit, feel, and sound right on my kit. Where as other heads do not.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:47 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Masters
After reading on this board about how great Aquarian heads are, I put some Response 2s on my toms a few weeks ago. Sure, they sound fine but they aren't the "holy grail" that some folks claim. According to Aquarian, the Reponse 2 is supposed to be comparable to Evans G2 and Remo Emperor. I would agree, comparable but not superior. Of course this is all subjective, use what works for you to get the sound you like, but in my opinion, they're not any better than Remo or Evans.
I was running a set of coated Response IIs on my DW maple kit and the sounded OK. After a couple of weeks I switched to Evans EC2s and they sounded good also. I just wanted to give them a try.

I still like the Studio X heads the best, but I agree with what Superlow said about durability.
The tend to dent very easily. I like the sound that single ply heads produce, but be prepared to replace heads on a regular basis.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:06 PM
adamjames

hmm. I dont know guys. I have performance 2's on the toms, super kick 2 on the bass and a hi energy on myu snare. I think they are the best heads that I have ever used IMO. They have been on for over a month and they get played on for an hour or 2 each day. We (my son and I) play metal. The heads are not denting. With the other brands, the 10' tom was always going out of tune. NONE of the Aqaurians have gone out of tune since I have put them on until yesterday but that was because we are in a heat wave and the temp was over 100 with high humidity.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:31 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjames
hmm. I dont know guys. I have performance 2's on the toms, super kick 2 on the bass and a hi energy on myu snare. I think they are the best heads that I have ever used IMO. They have been on for over a month and they get played on for an hour or 2 each day. We (my son and I) play metal. The heads are not denting. With the other brands, the 10' tom was always going out of tune. NONE of the Aqaurians have gone out of tune since I have put them on until yesterday but that was because we are in a heat wave and the temp was over 100 with high humidity.
The PIIs are two ply heads and are very durable as are the Response IIs. The Studio X head is a single ply and is probably not the best choice for heavy hitters.

I didn't have any issues with Aquarians two ply heads. I just like the sound of the Studio X heads better. It's worth it to me to change heads as needed for that quality of sound.

I like the High energy batter as well, and the Super kick II is IMO the best kick drum head out there.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:28 PM
adamjames

I agree with your comments. I would like to try several of their other heads in time.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:40 PM
Stu_Strib

I agree with you. They get way too much credit (especially the Super Kick line). I always try to associate myself with certain types of people, and (no offense aquarian folks) very few of the people I see as succesful musicians with good taste and ability to evaluate gear use aquarian products.

This isn't to say they are bad. I'm just saying they aren't nearly as great as everyone suggests. Most of the time, people who swear by aquarian are going from crappy stock heds to one of the good aquarian lines, without comparison to Evans or Remo (both better in my opinion).

The bottom line is people flip head over heels for no apparent reason other than they are something new to them.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:47 PM
adamjames

I have been playing for 30 years. I have used (almost) every Remo head as well as Evans. Some I like, some I don't. The Aqaurians that I have tuned up instatly. I did have a problem with the 10' head but I called Aquarian and spoke to Roy Burns who sent me a new head. Problem solved. I have never gotten attention like that from any other co. and yes, I have tried the others when it came to a questionable product. The drum head world can be confusing with so many different products and competition.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:31 PM

I've played aquarians for some time now. They never detune and you never have to crack the glue joints or anything, nothing like that needed. I love them, was not keen on the performance II heads tho. It really depends on your shells what results you get from Aquarians as they don't work as well on some shells/drums.

I'm using PowerThins as batters on my primary kit and a superkick 1 on bass with a pad. Superb, can't fault em.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:52 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
I agree with you. They get way too much credit (especially the Super Kick line). I always try to associate myself with certain types of people, and (no offense aquarian folks) very few of the people I see as succesful musicians with good taste and ability to evaluate gear use aquarian products.
You might want to check out the artist rooster before you make comments like that.

http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/artists/default.asp
Old 08-04-2006, 01:54 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Freddy
You might want to check out the artist rooster before you make comments like that.

http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/artists/default.asp
Hehehe... the artist rooster.

They have a big rooster endorsing them!
Old 08-04-2006, 02:13 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I always try to associate myself with certain types of people, and (no offense aquarian folks) very few of the people I see as succesful musicians with good taste and ability to evaluate gear use aquarian products.
You gotta look at what stu's saying. He's not saying that no big names use them, he's saying that people who he thinks have good taste and gear evaluation skills don't use aquarian.

I haven't had much experience with all types of different heads, but I chose Aquarian Performance II's when upgrading from stock because I had used them at school and church and liked the sound.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:25 AM
Pioneer Member

Thank god that im not the only one that thinks Aquarians dent easily! I never had this problem with any other head. Maybe its the fact that I was using a one ply head?

Also, isnt the power dot supposed to make it durable like a 2 ply head?
Old 08-04-2006, 05:24 AM
Pioneer Member

I use aquarian clear focus x on top and classic clears on the bottom and I get nothing but compliments... just check out some of my video threads...
Old 08-04-2006, 05:32 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
This isn't to say they are bad. I'm just saying they aren't nearly as great as everyone suggests. Most of the time, people who swear by aquarian are going from crappy stock heds to one of the good aquarian lines, without comparison to Evans or Remo (both better in my opinion).
I can't agree. Every brand has its merits. For Remo I like the Fiberskyn FA and Ambassador lines but don't have much time for Emperors, Powerstrokes or indeed much else. For Evans I like the coated G1. For Aquarian I like their Vintage heads a heap, and their 2-ply and ring-muffled options like the Superkick, Studio-X and Response IIs etc sound a lot nicer to me than their equivilents from Evans or Remo. If I was buying a 2-ply head I'd definitely go Aquarian. As it is my drums have heads from all three brands on them - my 13x4" Tama steel snare has an Aquarian head on it, my Ayotte and Yamaha snares have Evans G1s, my toms on the Recording Custom have Aquarian Modern Vintage and my toms on the Rydeen have Remo Fiberskyn FAs.

Aquarian do good stuff, but they're smaller than the other two and have less distribution and a smaller artist roster. I don't think that makes them bad.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:58 PM
Pioneer Member

I agree with you on the Vintage heads Finn. It was hard to find a good head for my old Gretsch Round Badge kit. The only head that rested snug on the bearing edge was the Aquarian Vintage. The Vintages heads have a very sensitive, dry, dark, and warm feel to them.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:49 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreppieNerd
You gotta look at what stu's saying. he's saying that people who he thinks have good taste and gear evaluation skills don't use aquarian.
You mean guys like Joe Pocaro, Camine Appice, and Chris Adler, don't have the skills and experience to evaluate gear?

Stu,

I don't want you to take this as a personal attack. It's not. I've heard your drumming clips and I think you're a decent drummer and you bring a lot to the board. That said, I just thought your comments were a little over the top.

I played Remo heads professionally for over a decade all over the country. At the time I liked them a lot. I've got a set of EC2s on my kit right now. I can afford to change heads every week if I wanted to. Thus far I like the Studio X heads the best.

As others have said, sound is subjective. I couldn't agree more, and If you don't like the sound of Aquarian heads then I can respect your opinion. The thing is when you state that only inexperienced drummers like them I have to call you on that. Again, look at the artist rooster. Not the six pictures on the right of the page, but the drop list on the left.

OK, I'm over it. I'm gonna go put some dents in my Evans heads now.

Take care.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:06 PM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreppieNerd
You gotta look at what stu's saying. He's not saying that no big names use them, he's saying that people who he thinks have good taste and gear evaluation skills don't use aquarian.
Actually I was just talking about guys I gig with and have seen on drummerworld posts. Aquarian has many fine endorsers. But money will buy allegiance, so it isn't really worth anything. The rare exception is Yamaha drummers, since they seem to be lifetime loyals (Peter Erskine be damned!).
Old 08-04-2006, 07:27 PM
Pioneer Member

Well, I've tried just about every drumhead known to man, predominantly Aquarian.
Sound nuances aside, there is not a drumhead out there that matches the overall build quality of Aquarians.
Their heads sit better than any others, hold their tuning better, and tune up easier than any of the competition. However, because the type of film that they use tends to be thicker/denser than either Remo or Evans, this can lead to some undesirable sound characteristics, depending on what series you use. (and depending on what you desire, of course).
I still prefer Evans double-ply in clears, but Aquarians Response 2 coateds are fabulous.
In fact, Aquarians coateds generally seem to be superior in sound, certainly at lower tunings.
The bonus for me, is that my music store here in Southern Ontario, sells the Aquarians at a lot less than either Remo or Evans.
It's of course subjective, but I think anyone owes it to themselves to at least try them, particularly before you diss them.
Cheers
Phil
Old 08-04-2006, 07:38 PM

I noticed that you can play a Remo Ambassador or Emporer, and after an hour of playing you've got this crap all over the snare head and the coating comes off, and it just gets worse from there. My drum teacher has an Aquarian Studio-X, people have been hitting it every night for years, and it hasn't achieved the marks, and coating loss of an hour old Remo.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:38 PM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooltonboy
there is not a drumhead out there that matches the overall build quality of Aquarians.
Their heads sit better than any others, hold their tuning better, and tune up easier than any of the competition.
I have to disagree. Strongly. None of the big three companies are that far different than the others. There is nothing about Aquarian that is magically better than Evans or Remo, like better "seating" and holding tuning better. It simply isn't true and just shows a little bias on your part.

This reminds me of silly arguments about how Zildjian is better than Sabian, when they are basically the same cymbals with different names.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:26 PM
adamjames

Quote:
I have to disagree. Strongly. None of the big three companies are that far different than the others. There is nothing about Aquarian that is magically better than Evans or Remo, like better "seating" and holding tuning better. It simply isn't true and just shows a little bias on your part.

This reminds me of silly arguments about how Zildjian is better than Sabian, when they are basically the same cymbals with different names.

They are different. If they weren't different, they wouldn't be in business. Aqaurians DO tune better and as far as the seating bs goes, you do not have to go thru the trouble that have to go thru with the other brands. That is....simply true. Plain and simple. It's been proven. I don't know if you had a bad experiance with them. If you have, then I can understand your comments. If you have not tried them you may want to give them a shot. I ignored them for years. I'm sorry I did. That's my 2 cents.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:31 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:

Sorry to disagree Stu, but Aquarian uses a completely different hoop assembly and epoxy system than Remo or Evans. They have a safety "T" system built into the hoop that stops the head from slipping around, holds it's place and tuning better.
I change heads almost every 3 or 4 days, and believe me, i notice the difference.
Cheers
Phil
Old 08-04-2006, 11:49 PM
Pioneer Member

This reminds me of silly arguments about how Zildjian is better than Sabian, when they are basically the same cymbals with different names

That is one of the most ridiculous things you've said yet Stu!
Senior consultant?.. Mmmmm You should really know better
Phil
Old 08-05-2006, 01:09 AM
Stu_Strib

Wow, who would have thought such innocent comments would be taken so harshly?

Ok, this isn't a back-pedal (yet) but let me try to be more clear.

1- I never said Aquarian is bad and I've never had a bad experience, other than dealing with the guys who love them so much. I'm sorry if that's what you all thought.

2- I never said endorsed artists who use aquarian have bad taste. What I was saying is the majority of the people I've encountered in MY life that are big fans of aquarians have questionable taste. For example, most wannabe punk drummers who bash the living crap out of their kits tend to love aquarian. I'm JUST saying, my circle of musicians don't particularly fit into that target demographic.

3- Sabian vs. Zildjian....you fail to see the similarities of say, a 20" AAX Stage ride and a 20" A Custom ride? How about the whole line of hand hammered vs. regular ks? How about the fact they use the exact same "secret alloy" since they are both Zildjian family companies? Of COURSE the two companies have different stuff, but at the end of the day, they mostly have different names and logos. Mass produced B20 Zildjian bronze
with mostly machine hammering...one in Canada and one in New England...that is about the only difference.

4- Claims that Aquarian somehow have magic glue or mystical 2-ply technology is just silly. To claim it has been "proven" that they tune easier is also a joke. How exactly do you prove that?

5- Like Finn said, they are a smaller company, so their marketing has to "appear" that they offer something different. In actuality, though, they are smashing plies of mylar together with rims and glue, just like the others. Again, SURE they have different models from the others, but the difference is nothing to write home about.

To summarize, I would gladly use the Aquarian equivalents of G1, G2, Embassadors, etc, but fail to see Aquarian being better, cheaper or more attractive than Remo or Evans.

Just read your own posts! I've never seen people buy into that much marketing before! T safety systems that prevent slipping? LOL! Here's a hint: a properly tuned Evans or Remo head doesn't slip either if you don't abuse your gear. The head is only as good as the lugs anyway, so what does slippage have to do with that?

I have to call you out on the "changing heads every 3 to 4 days" Phil. I change heads out of interest for different sounds. I would NEVER change heads out 3 or 4 days because they needed changing. For that, see me in about a year. I don't abuse my gear.

Adamjames, I don't agree they are very different. The main reason all three companies offer similar lines is so they CAN stay in business. If I want to jump ship from Evans, I need to know what the equivalent Aquarian is (I already know the equivalent remos). You give them too much credit. I guess now we have to say Pro-Mark is so much different than Vic Firth? I agree though that we should all give all the different models from differenct companies a shot. I can say honestly that I only have experience with two aquarian tom heads and the superkick II system. Both have been good, but nothing wildly different from the other companies.

Basically what I'm saying, and hopefully some of you will understand this sentiment, is: put me behind a great tama/sonor/yamaha/pearl/whatever kit with great zildjian/sabian/paiste/bosphorus cymbals and evans/remo/aquarian heads and I'm perfectly happy. Quit claiming that your beloved brand is the mighty trump card to all things drumming (Yamaha drums being the exception, LOL!)

Stu
Old 08-05-2006, 01:15 AM
Pioneer Member

Stu- there IS a difference between the heads. Look at the hoops alone; Aquarians are generally much thicker and beefier than Evans/Remo.

Also, what they say aobut their 2 ply heads is right. Ive owned all of the big 3s 2 ply heads, and Aquarians is the ONLY ONE that doesnt have that rainbow looking crap on it. Also, they sound much deeper, with less sustain.

Edit:I didnt mean ALL of the big 3s two ply heads, but I have tried:

G2 clear/coated
EC2
Aquarian P2 (my best so far)
Remo (forgot the name. 2 heads out of the 4 I bought were bad. Given me a bad impression ever since.)
Old 08-05-2006, 01:25 AM
Stu_Strib

Steady Freddy, because I respect your opinions and posts so much, I wanted to take the time to respond to your post by its self.

Quote:
You mean guys like Joe Pocaro, Camine Appice, and Chris Adler, don't have the skills and experience to evaluate gear?
To reiterate...I was speaking merely of my experience working with other drummers, not established pro's like these guys (although I've never been impressed with Appice, and Pocaro is one of my three legends, what they play is irrelevant to me.)

Quote:
That said, I just thought your comments were a little over the top.
Yes I see how they can be taken as over-the-top.. Rest assured I wasn't talking about Jeff Porcaro. I was talking about could-be-anyone-you-know-guy-who-opens-for-stus-band-every-saturday-night-and-who-swears-by-superkickII-and -fill-in-the-blank-tom-heads-from-aquarian-here.

Quote:
I can afford to change heads every week if I wanted to. Thus far I like the Studio X heads the best.
As well as can I. This is why I feel so strongly that the major three are so similar: because I've tried most of them, and have been a drum tech for 100s of touring bands coming through my last town.

Quote:
As others have said, sound is subjective. I couldn't agree more, and If you don't like the sound of Aquarian heads then I can respect your opinion.
I fail to see where I said I don't like the sound of Aquarians? I just said they are overrated by people who have different subjective evaluation than myself ;-)

Quote:
The thing is when you state that only inexperienced drummers like them I have to call you on that.
Again, I didn't mention anything about inexperienced drummers. I was speaking merely of people I've worked with (and DW posts) of people who have questionable evaluation skills. Take the "it has been proven that aquarian heads tune better" argument for example.

Quote:
OK, I'm over it. I'm gonna go put some dents in my Evans heads now.

Take care.
You DENT your heads? Blasphemy! You are probably an Aquarian fan.... hehe, LOL! ;-)
Old 08-05-2006, 01:29 AM
Pioneer Member

I can see what Stus saying actually. Aquarian, however, can actually back up their marketing claims.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:34 AM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinj
Aquarians is the ONLY ONE that doesnt have that rainbow looking crap on it. Also, they sound much deeper, with less sustain.
When did prismatics become a selling point? Who says deeper and less sustain is better?

I get it that you like the sound better, but that doesn't make them magically different than EC2s or Pinstripes. Granted I haven't used P2s on my own gear, so I can't say which I like the best of those three. All I know is they are probably all very similar.

Can you ellaborate on Aquarian having thicker hoops? I can't say I believe that. And even if they are thicker, so what? What does that do for the sound or the tuning or the durability?

Ok, here's a challenge for you all:

Tell me what aquarian heads to get for my kit that are most like G1 coated or clear heads (since this is by far my favorite 'type' of head) and I will buy a set and let you all know what I think.

Hell, you all tell me what YOUR favorite line of Aquarian heads are and I'll try them. Don't bother with kick drum heads...I got suckered into the Superkick II/Regulator combo before and that was a waste of $80.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:36 AM
Pioneer Member

I have to call you out on the "changing heads every 3 to 4 days" Phil. I change heads out of interest for different sounds. I would NEVER change heads out 3 or 4 days because they needed changing. For that, see me in about a year. I don't abuse my gear.

Actually Stu, I should have explained my head-changing habits more clearly.
I am admittedly a completely drum-obsessed gearhead. I have spent so much money on all types and brands of heads, it has become an all encompasing hobby.
Rather than go out golfing, or spend the night in front of the TV drinking ale, I mess around with my kit. I just love taking my kit apart, cleaning, tweaking and of course, changing heads.
One great thing about this "obsession" is that it's actually turned me into a great tuner!...lol
All that head changing has to pay off...lol
But, I do swear by Aquarian for "some" of the sounds I experiemnt with.
One thing they advertise, that i find true, is the "Tap Test".
Their heads do have a definate tone, before you install them. Any Remo or Evans head I've taken out of the box, when tapped, sounds like a thick piece of Saran Wrap.
This has to translate into a better drum sound.
Better still Stu, go out and spend a few quid and try them if you haven't.
Ah well, everyone to their own!
Cheers Stu
Phil
Old 08-05-2006, 01:42 AM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooltonboy
Stu, go out and spend a few quid and try them if you haven't.

Cheers Stu
Phil
Heh, since I'm American, I'll spend a few BUCKS on Musiciansfriend.com and have them shipped to my military address ;-) Beats paying 15-20 quid per head on the economy here, when I can get them for $10 per head online!

Trust me Phil...I've been in your gear junkie shoes before! When I got back into drumming after a long layoff, that's all I did for about 2 years....If you just look at my drum pictures since joining this thread last year, you'll see probably four drumsets and about 50 cymbals and probably 10 snares. You'll also see a heads from Attack, Evans, Pearl (yeah, I said Pearl), Aquarian and Remo. I don't speak of things that I have no experience in: at least not without a caveat. In this case, no caveat needed. I was in a band sponsored by Attack heads, so technically speaking, I was quasi-endorsed there. They have the same types of heads as the major brands too, just different names. I'd happily play them as well.

P.S. I find it odd that the guy who started this thread (and the only guy who agrees with me) hasn't been back here to post his thoughts!
Old 08-05-2006, 03:13 AM
adamjames

Quote:
When did prismatics become a selling point? Who says deeper and less sustain is better?

I get it that you like the sound better, but that doesn't make them magically different than EC2s or Pinstripes. Granted I haven't used P2s on my own gear, so I can't say which I like the best of those three. All I know is they are probably all very similar.

Can you ellaborate on Aquarian having thicker hoops? I can't say I believe that. And even if they are thicker, so what? What does that do for the sound or the tuning or the durability?

Ok, here's a challenge for you all:

Tell me what aquarian heads to get for my kit that are most like G1 coated or clear heads (since this is by far my favorite 'type' of head) and I will buy a set and let you all know what I think.

Hell, you all tell me what YOUR favorite line of Aquarian heads are and I'll try them. Don't bother with kick drum heads...I got suckered into the Superkick II/Regulator combo before and that was a waste of $80.
I guess the Classic Clears would be comparable to G1's. They don't come coated but they do come with the power dot. I have never tried them.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:16 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Tell me what Aquarian heads to get for my kit that are most like G1 coated or clear heads (since this is by far my favorite 'type' of head) and I will buy a set and let you all know what I think.

Hi Stu,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post, and I do understand what you are saying now.

I think part of the problem when discussing stuff like this is that we're not all trying to get the same sound. We all have in our mind a particular sound(s) that may be totally different from one another. Some guys like sustain, some don't. There are just so many variables.

The Aquarian equivalent of the G2 is the Response II and the classic clear is a substitute for the G1 clear. I recently tried that combination of heads and didn't like it that much.

When I got my drums the had pins on them. They were a little too dead for my liking. I replaced them with Performance IIs. A similar head, but they did have a little more tone and had a slightly more open sound. Now I'm running EC2s.

Of the two ply pre muffled heads I like the EC2 the best. Some guys may not. As we've said before it really is subjective.

Of the heads I've tried thus far, I like the clear Studio X over classic clears. They sound round, punchy, and have a short sustain, I like a medium to high tuning range so the drums project through the mix.

A lot of us have spent a lot of time and money looking for our signature (for lack of a better word) sound so when one comments about this head or that head in a negative light, it can be taken a little personally.

I am curious about what you didn't like about the super Kick II.

While some of us may agree to disagree at times, I am impressed that we can do so as gentlemen and not get too wrapped around the axle.

Again, that you for you comments and your time.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:48 PM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
I am curious about what you didn't like about the super Kick II.
It sounded odd...the closest analogy I can make was it sounded like kevlar heads do on marching snares, but for a bass drum. Loud, percussive, lots of attack. Not things I look for in a bass drum sound (well, loud is usually pretty good).
Old 08-05-2006, 08:48 PM

I've personally tried heads from all three companies, and I liked all three. However, I can truly say that I like the Aquarian Studio-X clear heads the most - they simply give me the sound I want. I don't think there is anything magical about them (though I do think their rims are thicker), I just like the sound.

I think what Stu is saying is that he has nothing against Aquarian heads, he just happens to prefer the competition.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:56 PM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHW200

I think what Stu is saying is that he has nothing against Aquarian heads, he just happens to prefer the competition.
Not even that! I'm just saying Aquarian isn't anything BETTER than remo or evans. There is no magical formula that sets them apart from the others.

I didn't like SuperkickII/regulator, but I liked p2s. I haven't tried studio x, but I'm guessing they are just like EC2s. Maybe I'll pick up a set...they are the ones with the black ring on them right?

stu
Old 08-05-2006, 09:10 PM

Yeah, they've got the black ring.

http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/pro...splay.asp?id=6
Old 08-05-2006, 09:46 PM
IDDrummer

I've owned exactly four Aquarian heads. All four were coated. The snare drum head was a Satin Finish Texture Coated single ply, the tom heads were two ply. I believe they were Double Thins, but I don't see that model on the website any more. They sounded fine, not unlike Remo Ambassadors and Emperors. However, the 14" floor tom head was the ONLY drum head I've ever owned that truly had a defect (I am not talking about inconsequential bits of coating coming off). The head started sounding really dead shortly after I put it on. It turns out the ply on the underside had come loose and was wrinkled underneath the top ply.

I also had the opportunity to play the Studio X's last night on a friend's DW kit. Interestingly, the 14 floor tom head, though looking virtually brand new in other ways, had a 2" spot of coating worn off. Rick said it started coming off almost immediately, but didn't affect the sound any, so he wasn't worried about it.

So, in my limited experience, I would say they are decent enough heads, but nothing special. The coating comes off, just like many other heads. The heads pull loose from the "special" rims sometimes, just like I've heard of other heads doing. And they sound just fine, once you find the model that suits you, just like other heads. Pretty much sounds just like Remo or Evans to me. However, the different companies DO offer slightly different models, so if an Aquarian model floats your boat, by all means, use it!

And Stu, if you want to try something close to a coated Ambassador or G1, try the Satin Finish Texture Coated.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:02 PM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHW200
Holy smokes! I didn't know those were single ply heads! I'm off to get some.

The texture coated ones look interesting...do they have the control ring in them too? It is hard to tell from the website.

Stu
Old 08-05-2006, 10:04 PM
Pioneer Member

ID-if you get a hold of Roy Burns, he will ship you a head for free if theres a defect with it. Same with your friends coating.