DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 05-08-2007, 10:45 PM

Default Re: The Bonham set thread

I've just ordered a new custom kit from a guy based here in the uk, called Alan Gilby of Richmo Drums. In about three weeks, I'll have my dream kit, a 4 piece in red sparkle finish, sizes 28x18, 15x12 and 18x16. Obviously, I've got to have the remo coated emperor batters, with coated ambassadors resonant side. Yum! What a monster. I'm gonna go and reinforce my walls with steel now! lol! I CAN'T WAIT!!!!
Old 05-08-2007, 11:53 PM

28x18!?!! Holy moly!

Be sure to post up some pics when it arrives!
Old 05-10-2007, 01:16 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Levee Breaker View Post
I've just ordered a new custom kit from a guy based here in the uk, called Alan Gilby of Richmo Drums. In about three weeks, I'll have my dream kit, a 4 piece in red sparkle finish, sizes 28x18, 15x12 and 18x16. Obviously, I've got to have the remo coated emperor batters, with coated ambassadors resonant side. Yum! What a monster. I'm gonna go and reinforce my walls with steel now! lol! I CAN'T WAIT!!!!
That kit come with its own zip code???? : ^ P
Old 05-14-2007, 08:22 AM

Haha! Almost. I've always wanted a bonham-esque kit, and being 14, well, they don't come cheap, so i built up my old mapex to a big double bass kit over 3 years and, then sold it to afford the custom Richmos. I'll try and post some pictures once i receive them. I've now changed the toms to 14x12, and 16x16. I'll order the 18" later this year. The only problem with pictures is fitting the bass drum in the frame!

Last edited by The Levee Breaker; 08-03-2007 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:52 AM

Well can't wait to see 'em!
Old 05-14-2007, 10:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmrakich View Post
That kit come with its own zip code???? : ^ P
No, but they've had to re-route all air traffic around it to avoid collisions.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboKnife View Post
I guess I'll post a few pictures of my kit. If you want the deets on the set up, go to the link in my signature.

I'm pretty sure Bonham didn't play Axis pedals
Old 06-07-2007, 10:24 PM

I posted this recently in the "Your Gear" section but I just got my 26" bd on Tuesday. Until about a week ago I didn't even know Rogers made that size. Anyway, now my kit is this:

'68 Rogers in butcher block finish
10x14
16x16
16x18
(and a matching 14x24)

early 70s Rogers in New England white finish
14x26

'78 Ludwig alloy Supra
6.5x14

My plan is to re-wrap the whole kit in blue onyx, hopefully in a few months, and then I'll probably sell the 24" bd. I had my first band practice with the 26" last night. To my surprise it didn't feel entirely different from the 24". I sort of feel like a little kid sitting behind it, though. I'm still working on just the right tuning but I've got a coated Emperor/smooth white Ambassador with 3" felt strips on either side and it sounds pretty decent. Big yet controlled. I just switched from 2.5" felt to 3". It almost muffles it too much but I'm still playing with the placement.

So far I like it. It's a beast.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:06 PM

Cool! Sounds great. Any pics?
Old 06-12-2007, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Cool! Sounds great. Any pics?
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...8/NewBD002.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...8/NewBD001.jpg

I have white duct tape over the extra holes. When I re-wrap it I'll fill them in with dowels.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:29 PM
Silver Member

I KNOW this is probably a stupid observation but when you have the rack tom on a snare stand doesnt it put a lotta distance between the rack and the floor[s] if you wanna go round the kit? I know its what you get used to but there seems to be some serious distance on some of these 'bonham rigs', and when I've seen the dvds of JB he has the snare stand as well as the rack fitting on the bass drum, is that for added stability or didnt he trust Luddies hardware??
Old 06-16-2007, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Cable View Post
I KNOW this is probably a stupid observation but when you have the rack tom on a snare stand doesnt it put a lotta distance between the rack and the floor[s] if you wanna go round the kit? I know its what you get used to but there seems to be some serious distance on some of these 'bonham rigs', and when I've seen the dvds of JB he has the snare stand as well as the rack fitting on the bass drum, is that for added stability or didnt he trust Luddies hardware??
I got used to it. However when I do need to do some really fast triplets, or something similar, between 2 toms I use the 2 FTs for it.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:21 PM

Just a little update, I'll have my Richmo kit on tuesday, 2 days time! I had a little delay because part way through building them the supplier had a problem sending 28" hoops from the USA and i wanted a cymbal arm too, so that had to be ordered.

Ah well, I guess it's all worth it in the end eh? I can't wait. I'll post some quick pics before playing them.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:47 PM

Quote:
works fine for me and I believe jb just used a snare stand for his first tom
Old 06-20-2007, 09:54 PM

Here's mine, poor picture i know, and the bass drum isn't exactly bonham but the toms are so here goes...Name:  Richmo1[edit].JPG
Views: 3816
Size:  47.3 KB

Specs:Custom Richmo Birch kit in Red Sparkle
28x18 bass drum w/ raw maple hoops and a cymbal arm
14x12 tom on snare stand
16x16 floor tom

Snare is a Limited Edition Mapex Black Panther 13x7, in honey amber over birdseye maple finish.
Enjoy!!!!!
:)

Last edited by The Levee Breaker; 07-27-2007 at 12:02 AM.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Here's mine, poor picture i know, and the bass drum isn't exactly bonham but the toms are so here goes...Attachment 13080

14x10 tom on snare stand
16x16 floor tom

Snare is a Limited Edition Mapex Black Panther 13x7, in honey amber over birdseye maple finish.
Enjoy!!!!!
awesome!

I have a maple kit much like that, but with a 26x18 and 13x9 and 14" deep floor tom, but its also red (stain though) with the large round lugs (mine are offset) and set up much like yours

you''ve got a killer kit man, i love my bass drum, i can only imagine how much fun a 28 is
Old 06-21-2007, 06:07 AM

Quote:
The big misconception is that Bonzo always used a snare stand for his tom and that is false. The only kit he used a snare stand for the tom was his first Ludwig kit which was the maple kit. He used a Rogers swiv-o-matic mount plus a snare stand I feel for added stability because the tom was a 14"x 12". On the rest of his kits he used the Ludwig rail mount with no snare stand so I feel he did trust the Ludwig hardware. Then on his last kit which was the stainless steel kit he used the standard Ludwig "T" mount. With a snare stand there is a lot of distance between the tom and the floor toms, I say it's a personal preference. On my kit I mount the tom off of my cymbal stand which is really comfortable for me.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:09 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmckay View Post
The big misconception is that Bonzo always used a snare stand for his tom and that is false. The only kit he used a snare stand for the tom was his first Ludwig kit which was the maple kit. He used a Rogers swiv-o-matic mount plus a snare stand I feel for added stability because the tom was a 14"x 12". On the rest of his kits he used the Ludwig rail mount with no snare stand so I feel he did trust the Ludwig hardware. Then on his last kit which was the stainless steel kit he used the standard Ludwig "T" mount. With a snare stand there is a lot of distance between the tom and the floor toms, I say it's a personal preference. On my kit I mount the tom off of my cymbal stand which is really comfortable for me.
The Rogers stuff was used by everybody there for a few years...Moon used TWO of them per kick drum to hold his 14x8 tuna cans.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Here's mine, poor picture i know, and the bass drum isn't exactly bonham but the toms are so here goes...Attachment 13080

14x10 tom on snare stand
16x16 floor tom

Enjoy!!!!!
That's a great looking kit. Very nice. You must have one hell of right leg.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:01 PM

I put some red felt in the resonant side of the 28 yesterday, to slightly shorten the boom, and get a reasonable amount of definition. It's really got that bonham sound now, good job i really do thump it good.
It's strange really, when you hear bonham on recording, cos' you think "that sounds great", but it's even better when you're the one making the noise!

Rock on!!!!
Old 06-22-2007, 08:34 PM
Silver Member

My bonham-ish setup, well sort of.

birch
Old 06-22-2007, 08:48 PM

Quote:
I put some red felt in the resonant side of the 28 yesterday, to slightly shorten the boom, and get a reasonable amount of definition. It's really got that bonham sound now, good job i really do thump it good.
It's strange really, when you hear bonham on recording, cos' you think "that sounds great", but it's even better when you're the one making the noise!

Rock on!!!!
Did you dampen the batter side at all? What heads do you have on it? And, last but not least, what kind of tension do you have on the heads?
Old 06-24-2007, 01:12 PM

To rogers_68, No i didn't dampen the batter side, because i like the feel of the natural resonance of the head. I use coated ambassadors on both sides at the moment and it sounds great. The heads are quite highly tensioned with the batter being slightly lower in pitch, to get the natural low end sound from the drum. Because, if you think about it, there is a large amount of air to move in that space, so you want to move it quickly to get a nice thump sound, but you can tune high, because the larger size of the drum means you still get all of the low end, and that was the trick to bonham's tuning. Trust me on this, it works!
Hope that answers your q's!
Old 06-26-2007, 12:44 AM

Here is my version of the bonham type setup. Not the exact sizes but these suit me better : 28x20 Kick , 12x9 , 14x12 , 16x14 toms and 14x5 snare

Drivers Seat
Old 06-26-2007, 04:56 AM

Quote:
To rogers_68, No i didn't dampen the batter side, because i like the feel of the natural resonance of the head. I use coated ambassadors on both sides at the moment and it sounds great. The heads are quite highly tensioned with the batter being slightly lower in pitch, to get the natural low end sound from the drum. Because, if you think about it, there is a large amount of air to move in that space, so you want to move it quickly to get a nice thump sound, but you can tune high, because the larger size of the drum means you still get all of the low end, and that was the trick to bonham's tuning. Trust me on this, it works!
Hope that answers your q's!
How do you mike your bass drum? Sometimes I get a lot of complaints from sound guys they say my bass drum is to "live" and they can't mike a bass drum with a solid head on the front. And this is with a felt strip on the batter side and the front head.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:58 AM

Madwatch, that is finee kit you got there
Old 06-26-2007, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzepjb View Post
Madwatch, that is finee kit you got there
Thanks! I had to wait a while for Pork Pie to complete the kit for me , but it is so much fun to play. Worth the wait.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:38 AM

every body have their own setup so did bonzo....
Old 06-26-2007, 09:43 PM

How about no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-26-2007, 11:27 PM

Quote:
How do you mike your bass drum? Sometimes I get a lot of complaints from sound guys they say my bass drum is to "live" and they can't mike a bass drum with a solid head on the front. And this is with a felt strip on the batter side and the front head.
Stinkin' sound guys...! There's one sound guy that I've worked with a lot over the course of several years and he's learned how to handle my bass drum (no hole, not overly ringy but certainly not over-muffled) and he's told me many, many times to tune how I want and he'll deal with it. He says that a good sound guy can make it work using mic placement, EQ, et cetera.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogers_68 View Post
Stinkin' sound guys...! There's one sound guy that I've worked with a lot over the course of several years and he's learned how to handle my bass drum (no hole, not overly ringy but certainly not over-muffled) and he's told me many, many times to tune how I want and he'll deal with it. He says that a good sound guy can make it work using mic placement, EQ, et cetera.
I agree completely a good sound guy should be able to handle any situation that they have to deal with. If we had our own sound guy it probably wouldn't be an issue because they could just set their board to fit us. Every once in awhile I will get a sound guy where my drums aren't even an issue, but mostly I get these guys that are so used to miking drummers that just muffle the hell out of their drums and they come to me and they are lost they don't know what to do.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:48 PM

Quote:
I agree completely a good sound guy should be able to handle any situation that they have to deal with. If we had our own sound guy it probably wouldn't be an issue because they could just set their board to fit us. Every once in awhile I will get a sound guy where my drums aren't even an issue, but mostly I get these guys that are so used to miking drummers that just muffle the hell out of their drums and they come to me and they are lost they don't know what to do.
I know, I know. I'm not a sound engineer by any means but even I can figure out that if you back the mic off about an inch it takes a ton of ring out of the PA system, and even I can figure out that one can take a little low end out on the sound board if needed. Most guys are looking for a "thump-you-in-the-chest" sound and I don't at all. I want a drum sound, not an effect.

*Ends semi-rant.* ;)
Old 06-30-2007, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogers_68 View Post
I know, I know. I'm not a sound engineer by any means but even I can figure out that if you back the mic off about an inch it takes a ton of ring out of the PA system, and even I can figure out that one can take a little low end out on the sound board if needed. Most guys are looking for a "thump-you-in-the-chest" sound and I don't at all. I want a drum sound, not an effect.

*Ends semi-rant.* ;)
AMEN to that Brother!
Old 06-30-2007, 05:51 AM
Silver Member

how does bonzo move so fast? id love to know.. like were gonna groove how does he do fills so fast?
Old 07-03-2007, 10:37 PM
Silver Member

Now, I've researched this so here goes; with the exception of the stainless steel reissue all the JB tribute kits have the rack tom on a snare stand with a virgin bass. I've sat thru the Zep dvd, song remains the same AND looked thru 'thunder of drums' and the only kit that Bonham used with a virgin bass and rack on a snare stand was the natural maple kit he had in '69. Even the vistalites had a tom mount! Should they be selling the reissue kits as 'bonham/zep' kits, when he didn't have the setup that they're selling??
Old 07-06-2007, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Now, I've researched this so here goes; with the exception of the stainless steel reissue all the JB tribute kits have the rack tom on a snare stand with a virgin bass. I've sat thru the Zep dvd, song remains the same AND looked thru 'thunder of drums' and the only kit that Bonham used with a virgin bass and rack on a snare stand was the natural maple kit he had in '69. Even the vistalites had a tom mount! Should they be selling the reissue kits as 'bonham/zep' kits, when he didn't have the setup that they're selling??
That is something that I have never understood either. Even the maple kit didn't really have a virgin bass drum because he did have a tom mount and the snare stand. But anytime there is a "Bonham" reissue kit they always have the tom on a snare stand. It drives me nuts!
Old 08-14-2007, 02:00 PM

Here's my new Ludwigs that I recieved just about 2 months ago. Classic Maple Ludwigs in "Bonham" sizes w/ green sparkle wrap...26x14, 14x12, 16x16, 18x16 wouldn't trade them for the world!!!!!
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2007, 08:58 PM

Quote:
That is something that I have never understood either. Even the maple kit didn't really have a virgin bass drum because he did have a tom mount and the snare stand. But anytime there is a "Bonham" reissue kit they always have the tom on a snare stand. It drives me nuts!
And don't forget the bass mounted ride. I could've just used one of my cymbal stands, but I wanted that cymbal holder!
Old 09-05-2007, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjlee24 View Post
Here's my new Ludwigs that I recieved just about 2 months ago. Classic Maple Ludwigs in "Bonham" sizes w/ green sparkle wrap...26x14, 14x12, 16x16, 18x16 wouldn't trade them for the world!!!!!

How do you get in the driver's seat? Wall to wall drums!! I love it to death!

Arty Z out
Old 09-05-2007, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Even the maple kit didn't really have a virgin bass drum because he did have a tom mount and the snare stand. But anytime there is a "Bonham" reissue kit they always have the tom on a snare stand. It drives me nuts!
And we can go 1 step further. The tom mount on that kit is a Rogers swivomatic. (good photo on page 39 of "Drum presents Traps the Art of Drumming" magazine with John Bonham on the cover). Typical modification a lot of Ludwig players did. But let's face it, if someone wants a tom holder, they can go out and buy one. Drill 4 holes. Done. If I was gonna mount a 14x10 or a 15x12 off my 26x14, I'd probably use the DW rail consolette. I'd rather have a virgin kick myself. Easier to drill holes into a virgin kick than un-drill holes (re-virginize) a kick with a factory mount.

Last edited by harryconway; 09-10-2007 at 08:47 AM.