DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 07-25-2006, 08:45 PM

Default The Bonham set thread

Someone had mentioned starting "the best Bonham set" thread. I guess its really hard to say any one is the best, when they are all relatively the same, and all loved by their owners. But it would be cool for everyone whose got a Bonham setup, to post a pic of their kit here. So here we go...

Last edited by themac5150; 12-07-2013 at 01:29 AM.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:49 PM

Default Re: The Bonham set thread

Is that your set? Or is that just a pic off google or somethin?? either way its nice. I don't really see too many Ludwig sets like Bonham used anymore.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:51 PM
Gold Member

sweet kit.....im waiting for ludwig to come out with their bonham kit that their only selling exclusivly to guitar center. Its in the august catalog. Now all i have to do is sell my stage custom for at least 500 bucks and ill have enough money.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:51 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonham15
Is that your set? Or is that just a pic off google or somethin?? either way its nice. I don't really see too many Ludwig sets like Bonham used anymore.

i see them everywhere
Old 07-25-2006, 08:58 PM

Really? Maybe its because i live in PA. it seems everyone here has a huge double bass setup. A lot of the drummers here are idiots and think smaller, more basic sets are for pussies...
Old 07-25-2006, 08:59 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonham15
Really? Maybe its because i live in PA. it seems everyone here has a huge double bass setup. A lot of the drummers here are idiots and think smaller, more basic sets are for pussies...

i love the idea of the simpler set. Make you more creative with fills and technique
Old 07-25-2006, 09:05 PM

Quote:
im waiting for ludwig to come out with their bonham kit that their only selling exclusivly to guitar center
What is so exclusive about it? I ordered mine as a shell pack from Midwest Percussion for $1929.95, and got to choose the exact color I wanted. Wrapped drums are a little bit cheaper, but more durable, that's why I chose wraps. If you're talking about the stainless steel limited addition set...YOUR THE MAN!
Old 07-25-2006, 09:14 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themac5150
What is so exclusive about it? I ordered mine as a shell pack from Midwest Percussion for $1929.95, and got to choose the exact color I wanted. Wrapped drums are a little bit cheaper, but more durable, that's why I chose wraps. If you're talking about the stainless steel limited addition set...YOUR THE MAN!

ya i wish the i could afford the stainless steel kit...but ludwig made a whole line of bonham kits just exclusivley for guitar center to sell. Its not the exact exact sizes tho but really close to them

philipine mohogany wood

14x6.5 snare
26x16 bass
13x9 tom w/ snare stand
16x16 floor tom
18x16 floor tom

either in natural maple finish or in silver sparkle (i dont know why they wouldnt do green sparkle)
Old 07-25-2006, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdp 9091
ya i wish the i could afford the stainless steel kit...but ludwig made a whole line of bonham kits just exclusivley for guitar center to sell. Its not the exact exact sizes tho but really close to them

philipine mohogany wood

14x6.5 snare
26x16 bass
13x9 tom w/ snare stand
16x16 floor tom
18x16 floor tom

either in natural maple finish or in silver sparkle (i dont know why they wouldnt do green sparkle)
Oh, that sounds like a step DOWN from what you have now. I don't think you'd be impressed. It sounds like the entry level accent drums.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:00 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Oh, that sounds like a step DOWN from what you have now. I don't think you'd be impressed. It sounds like the entry level accent drums.

well me being only 16 i dont have 2000 to spend away on a new classic maple set
Old 07-25-2006, 11:26 PM

Quote:
well me being only 16 i dont have 2000 to spend away on a new classic maple set
Don't get me wrong, not knocking it one bit. If that's what you want then go for it. I've heard good things about the Yamahas, that's all.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:29 PM

sweeeeeeeeet kit. i love the purple sparkle finish.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:31 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, not knocking it one bit. If that's what you want then go for it. I've heard good things about the Yamahas, that's all.

well now that im thinking about it, i might want to keep saving another 1000 after i sell my kit to get something like yours. It would definatly be worth the wait and i might be more satisfied. I still have time to decide though
Old 07-26-2006, 12:07 AM

Here is my "Green Monster". Definately the best kit I have ever owned, incredible sound!
Old 07-26-2006, 06:54 AM

If you order through a Ludwig dealer you should be able to get any size that Ludwig offers in any configuration. My kit is not a "Bonham Kit" it wasn't a package deal. I ordered the sizes and color that I wanted.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:33 AM

on my bonham setup for my drumset feels too weird when doing fillz and having to turn my body around so much to hit the last floortom. Does anyone else have this problem?
Old 07-26-2006, 09:39 AM

k, I just registered for the drummerworld discussion forum and I have a few questions I hope to have answered eventually.

QUESTION #1
Does anyone else have the setup where they have 2 floortoms? Because when I put I have two floortoms on my set, John Bonham Style. It just makes it more strenous and hard to turn my body all the way toward my the last floor tom.

QUESTION #2
What personally do you guys think sounds better? New Beat or Quick Beat? I have a Quick Beat.

QUESTION #3
What is the difference between all the different wood types that drumsets are made out of? I have Maple.

QUESTION #4
Can anyone really do what John Bonham does on "Moby dick" with one pedal? and Who can? Cause I have been working on it and I can only partially do the double pedal sound with one pedal thing. I do a weird heel-toe action...

That is all for now, But if any of you could answer any of my questions I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:57 PM

I have two drums to my left, their just not floor toms. But I did it for the same purpose. I can reach them fine. Try backing up the throne a little bit and move it a little to the left. [I'm supposing your right handed]

I don't have New Beats or Quick Beats. And your in the wrong thread.

All I know about woods is that mahogany is lowest, maple's in the middle, and birch is at the top. Also in the wrong thread. I tried a thread about this and someone gave me this link.

http://drumdojo.com/tech/shelldesign.htm

I bet someone could play as fast as Bonzo with their right foot. What I don't think that person sould do is have the groove and the style like Bonham did+ the insane foot speed. Even if you could do that all together, your cheating. You have to create your own style.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:02 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnathen
k, I just registered for the drummerworld discussion forum and I have a few questions I hope to have answered eventually.

QUESTION #1
Does anyone else have the setup where they have 2 floortoms? Because when I put I have two floortoms on my set, John Bonham Style. It just makes it more strenous and hard to turn my body all the way toward my the last floor tom.

QUESTION #2
What personally do you guys think sounds better? New Beat or Quick Beat? I have a Quick Beat.

QUESTION #3
What is the difference between all the different wood types that drumsets are made out of? I have Maple.

QUESTION #4
Can anyone really do what John Bonham does on "Moby dick" with one pedal? and Who can? Cause I have been working on it and I can only partially do the double pedal sound with one pedal thing. I do a weird heel-toe action...

That is all for now, But if any of you could answer any of my questions I would greatly appreciate it.
Answers:

Q1
I do have my set up like bonhams (and like 3957887386 other drummers) with the 2 floor tom set up and no i dont have problems with turning my body. In fact i dont turn my body....i keep it straight and just turn my right arm. Youll adapt to it eventually

Q2.
I personally like the quick beats better. I do not own them but i like them better than new beats because they have more crisp and more defined sound to me.

Q3.
All different shell types produce more darker, more brighter, more louder, more softer sounds.

Maple:

Maple is a general overall warm sounding product, it can reproduce frequencies of the drum fairly well across the spectrum.

Mahogany:

True mahogany from USA or Honduras will have about a 20% increase in low frequency resonance over the maple drum, mid and high frequencies will be the same from a reproduction point of view, but because the Mahogany has the 20% low end increase, the perceived tone is warmer.

Birch:

Birch is a very dense tough wood, blond in color that tools well. It will have about a 10% loss in reproduction of low end compared to Maple and about a 20% increase in the high end, with the mid range remaining about the same, so the Birch kit will definitely be a “harder” and “brighter” sounding kit

Poplar:

Poplar is derived from fast growing straight medium hardwood trees and is a less expensive alternative to Birch and Maple.

Q4
People have definatly master bonhams foot speed in every song....easily....Can you say JoJo Mayer?? And in the studio recording theres really nothing goin on with his foot speed that is really hard to master....his live solo is much more advanced

Last edited by pdp 9091; 07-26-2006 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:46 AM

As far as playing with two floor toms there are many different things you can do to make it more comfortable. Some people say that sitting higher makes it more comfortable to hit that second floor tom. Or you can tilt the drums toward you more which some say helps. Personally I like my floor toms flat as possible and instead of having them in a direct line move the second floor tom out a little bit. By doing this it feels more natural rolling down the kit for me.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:56 AM

With a two floor tom set-up, here are some tips and tricks:

-You should be turning your torso to hit the drums, it's good to face what you are hitting.

-If you find this uncomfortable, don't change seat height, which is probably perfect for you the way it is. Don't change the seat positioning, which is probably perfect for you the way it is. You should be able to play the drum comfortably by simply moving the drum. Try moving it away from you more, as opposed to behind you. Ex. Face your kit from the front. Looking at your drum, think of moving it to the left as opposed to fowards.

-Don't give up. It can take me eternities to set stuff up to my comfort, but in the end it's all worth it! Your comfort is number one, as it allows you to play your best, with the less effort possible!

-DM
Old 07-27-2006, 09:28 AM

Quote:
sweet kit.....im waiting for ludwig to come out with their bonham kit that their only selling exclusivly to guitar center. Its in the august catalog. Now all i have to do is sell my stage custom for at least 500 bucks and ill have enough money.

DUDE! whats wrong with you?? keep the stage custom ans sell your computer! Why would you want to throw away an awesome set like that? even if you are getting another, the SC is worthy of keeping.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylover
DUDE! whats wrong with you?? keep the stage custom ans sell your computer!
but then there will be no 'drummerworld' for the poor dude!

ha ha............ soon the world will be mine!!!!! :)

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 07-27-2006, 06:43 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylover
DUDE! whats wrong with you?? keep the stage custom ans sell your computer! Why would you want to throw away an awesome set like that? even if you are getting another, the SC is worthy of keeping.

well first its not my computer...its my parents so i dont think theyd be happy if i sold it....second i wouldnt be able to go on drummerworld....third....i want bigger drums....a 22 kick just doesnt do it for me
Old 07-27-2006, 10:25 PM

Dude, all those Bonham kits are beauties! My favorite Bonzo kit (right now) is the Black Oyster Pearl version.

Mapex Pro M
Aquarian Studio X
Zildjian K
Paiste 802
Zildjian Rock sticks
DA BEARS!
Old 07-28-2006, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummonkey000
With a two floor tom set-up, here are some tips and tricks:

-You should be turning your torso to hit the drums, it's good to face what you are hitting.

-If you find this uncomfortable, don't change seat height, which is probably perfect for you the way it is. Don't change the seat positioning, which is probably perfect for you the way it is. You should be able to play the drum comfortably by simply moving the drum. Try moving it away from you more, as opposed to behind you. Ex. Face your kit from the front. Looking at your drum, think of moving it to the left as opposed to fowards.

-Don't give up. It can take me eternities to set stuff up to my comfort, but in the end it's all worth it! Your comfort is number one, as it allows you to play your best, with the less effort possible!

-DM

Very well said. I've torn down and rebuilt my kit more time than I can remember, spending huge amounts of time just stitting on the throne visualising the way my apendages want to naturally flow. Setting up your kit comfortably and efficiently takes a lot of time and trial and error, and is a very personal process. And totally worth it. It definately helped me improve my drumming.

That being said, IMO a properly set up Bonham style kit is extremely effiicient and comfortable to play.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:14 PM

I agree completely. This style set up also used by Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa, Mitch Mitchell and countless other legendary jazz and rock drummers, is a very efficient set up. When I decided to go with this configuration, about 15 years ago, it was after a few years of building up and stripping down my kit that I finally realized that I was very comfortable playing this set up. There is nothing obstructing my full range of motion, everything is spread out and very comfortable.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:47 AM
Platinum Member

my frankenstein, before it gets re-finished.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2006, 11:08 AM

i just love the ludwig's sparkle finish....
great looking kit's.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:19 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway
my frankenstein, before it gets re-finished.
Are all the shells from the same era???
What are you gonna recover them with, finish wise???
Old 08-02-2006, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmrakich
Are all the shells from the same era???
What are you gonna recover them with, finish wise???
Toms are all 6 ply blue/olive badge. Kick is a 6 ply large keystone badge. Clear maple finish will be the end result. 1st time I've had all the pieces set up as a kit.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:31 AM

The kit really has potential. I think the clear maple finish is a good choice, very classy. I really got a kick of how your floor toms are upside down so that you can get them lower, I have never seen that done before, interesting. The bass drum is a beauty!
Old 08-03-2006, 05:58 AM

I'm planning on getting a Bonham kit once I get older and have some money. I love the low sound of them, and I love Led Zep :).
Old 08-06-2006, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmckay
As far as playing with two floor toms there are many different things you can do to make it more comfortable. Some people say that sitting higher makes it more comfortable to hit that second floor tom. Or you can tilt the drums toward you more which some say helps. Personally I like my floor toms flat as possible and instead of having them in a direct line move the second floor tom out a little bit. By doing this it feels more natural rolling down the kit for me.
nice kit, dude. how do you have the bass tuned? (i.e., head tensions, felt tensions, etc.) i play a 24 but i like it big and open. just curious how you have your set up.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:25 AM

I guess I'll post a few pictures of my kit. If you want the deets on the set up, go to the link in my signature.

Word.

http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15840
Old 08-07-2006, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogers_68
nice kit, dude. how do you have the bass tuned? (i.e., head tensions, felt tensions, etc.) i play a 24 but i like it big and open. just curious how you have your set up.
I have felt strips on the batter side and the resonant side. The front head is tuned higher then the batter side. All in all the drum is tuned a lot higher then one would think to get the full round sound of the drum. It has a nice big boomy sound. It is the way Bonham tuned his bass drum, in fact all of his drums were tuned with this method. Check out the Bonham page on this site and they really go into depth on his tuning method.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:08 AM

This may interest you, but this is one of Bonham's actual spiral vistalites that was hired for a session I was on! The floor tom was 20x18!!!!!!
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2006, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolskid
This may interest you, but this is one of Bonham's actual spiral vistalites that was hired for a session I was on! The floor tom was 20x18!!!!!!
That is a SWEET kit! Got any sounds of that kit in the studio? They have a pic of a kit like that in the book, that Bonzo GAVE away to a friend. I wonder if thats the kit? Very cool!
Old 08-07-2006, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmckay
I have felt strips on the batter side and the resonant side. The front head is tuned higher then the batter side. All in all the drum is tuned a lot higher then one would think to get the full round sound of the drum. It has a nice big boomy sound. It is the way Bonham tuned his bass drum, in fact all of his drums were tuned with this method. Check out the Bonham page on this site and they really go into depth on his tuning method.
I also have the strips on the batter and resonant side. Both heads are tuned way up, mine are probably tuned closer to each other than "Bonham's" tuning. I don't have the coated heads, but I like the batter very firm. Nice tone to it, and still sounds HUGE! When I wear out the Ludwig heads I'll try the coated 2 ply/1 ply combo and see how that goes.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:59 PM
Gold Member

This combo of power stroke batter and reso emp is great for wide open sound.