DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-22-2006, 11:29 PM

Default Nylon tips VS. Wood Tips

Which do you prefer nylon tips or wood tips on drumsticks and why? What are the pro's and cons of each? Express your opinion here.

[Cool signature no one else has thought of]
Old 07-23-2006, 12:54 AM

Default Re: Nylon tips VS. Wood Tips

nylon. pro: longer lasting. consistent sound. con: tonal quality isn't as good.

BTW, best stick you'll ever use is a 5A Nylon.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:04 AM

Personally I use Nylon tips simply due to the fact that ride and hi-hat work stand out more than when using wood tips.

Last edited by Bttl; 07-23-2006 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:47 AM

I prefer wooden tips for their great tone. Nylon tips sound like what they are...plastic. Wooden tips don't have the longevity that nylon tips do because the wood chips off after time, but I find that nylon tipped sticks are prone to breaking right at the neck because the nylon/wood intersection creates a weak point. Solid wooden sticks (in my opinion) are not only better sounding but stronger.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:25 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylover
BTW, best stick you'll ever use is a 5A Nylon.
That may be true for you but not necessarily everybody else. My preference is the 747 (played those for the past 10 years) and 717's (been using those for little over a year and use those depending on what I'm playing.) both wood tip.

I prefer the tone of the wood tip myself. Here again sound is a very subjective animal. I played nylon tips for a while and they did give a brighter tone out of the ride. Provided the nylon tip itself doesn't snap off the tips themselves will last a little longer than wood. But I prefer the tonal quality of a wood tip.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:35 AM
Silver Member

Lots of opinions (including mine) on this topic here: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=13197
Old 07-23-2006, 10:17 AM

I like the sound of nylon tips a lot more than wood. It has a brighter sound on cymbals.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:19 PM

Nylons

PRO: High Hats & Ride respond well to the tips. You receive a more crisp sound.

CON: When they break off... your screwed. *Happens ALOT*
Old 07-25-2006, 09:57 AM

personally, i've never had a problem with nylon tips breaking off. it may just be conditioning, but they seems to me to have better response when working with the cymbals, and give the cymbals a more crisp clean ping. It is just my opinion, but wood tip sticks that i've used get a more dull sound out of the ride especially, and the nylon tip is a little brighter. I buy VF american classics, 7an for jazz and 5an for rock, and i love everything about them.

"You only get better by playing."

The Buddy
Old 07-25-2006, 10:01 AM
Gold Member

i use nylon when im using vaters but when im using sticks orderd from Customdrumsticks.com i use wood. the reason being, nylon is the only thing that can take my hard hitting for longer than a song. but in the case of custom drum sticks they are 20$ a dozen... so who cares.

Myspace-Add me!
Old 07-27-2006, 10:59 AM

what the heck u guys. The only time i had a nylon tip come off was when I was using the crap sticks that came with my beginer's snare kit thing lol!

the problem with wood sticks isn't the chipping, but the speed at which they chip. I'm scared to ever play a set with them. Middle of the song, and there goes half my tip! Crap! now what? I have to constantle roll it in my hand to get the good side so my ride cymbal beat doesn't sound like im playing on plastic. lol... some one has to know what im talking about.

Not to mention, Vic Firth makes excellent sticks. wood or Nylon. (even though I like nylon) takes 2-3 monthes of daily play for me to break 1 pair of 5A nylons. and the tip never breaks, I just kill the stick with rimshots.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:29 PM
Stu_Strib

If you can stand the sound of nylon tips (I sure can't) the benefit is they don't wear out like wood tips.

I usually wear the tip out of my sticks before any other part of the stick. I hate when the lacquer/wood wears out on the tip and then the ride sound starts going flat. I hate burning a flat spot into the tip too. I find myself rotating the stick to a part that isn't worn out a lot. I'm thinking about trying those regal tip sticks that have the nylon tips that have spaces in them. Seems like they might be the best of both worlds.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:17 PM

nylon tips dont sound that great in my opnion either they are bright and all that but sometims one a slow song it may make the ride too loud or just not right for the song wood tips are perfect they are warmer and more real i would say... bad thing is they break but i they are tottaly worth it
Old 08-18-2006, 11:12 AM
Platinum Member

i used to always use nylons, and i really dont like the sound of them on the ride especially. i have some wooden 5b's now, but i had a cheap set of nylons, the tips came clean off, and them on the ride has a really dry tone, really great for a jazz. interesting sound if u can get a pair of cheapies.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:47 PM

I vastly prefer nylon tips for most things, and I've never had a single tip come off (or a stick break, for that matter), despite being a fairly hard hitter. I use ProMark 420's. But there are certain occasions when I'll turn to wood tips (which will either be Vater 5A's or ProMark Carter Beauford signature sticks). That's primarily when I'm playing more of a percussive part, with lots of cowbells and blocks, and very little cymbal work. Also, nylon tips sound awful on bongos and congas. Something I've got recently that I like is the Vater Karl's Drumbale stick, which has no tip at all, but is still tapered to balance and feel like a drum stick. Great for all percussion playing, not so good on the ride cymbal.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:27 PM
OZjazzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
If you can stand the sound of nylon tips (I sure can't) the benefit is they don't wear out like wood tips.

I usually wear the tip out of my sticks before any other part of the stick. I hate when the lacquer/wood wears out on the tip and then the ride sound starts going flat. I hate burning a flat spot into the tip too. I find myself rotating the stick to a part that isn't worn out a lot. I'm thinking about trying those regal tip sticks that have the nylon tips that have spaces in them. Seems like they might be the best of both worlds.
I've been on and off with RegalTip E series for about a year and am still not sure. They sound in between wood and nylon which is good but the little ribs do wear down but then they often sound even better. I'll be interested to hear what you think. The idea is good and their Jazz model with the long taper is nice.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:05 PM

I use nylon tips...I use the bell and use my tips when im on my hi hat so wood tips chip on me fast. I love the sound wood tips make though, But i use nylon because i dont have the cash to offered one pair of sticks week after week
Old 08-18-2006, 04:16 PM
KARL MEMBER

Wood tips 4ever!

I use wood, sounds more natural...okay, it is also faster damaged but the sound the most importent, or? ;-)

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:07 AM

Just want to clarify... since I'm trying to decide if I should stick with wood-tips or migrate to nylon-tips. I like the sound to be brighter, but the volume tends to make me wary.

So which is louder? Nylon, or wood tips?
Old 02-22-2007, 06:13 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Smasher View Post
Just want to clarify... since I'm trying to decide if I should stick with wood-tips or migrate to nylon-tips. I like the sound to be brighter, but the volume tends to make me wary.

So which is louder? Nylon, or wood tips?
nylon.

twenty characters.

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:26 AM
Gold Member

I only play the drums since september 2006, but I already used a few sets of Vic Firth 5A's. Now I have 5AN for a few months, and they work better for me. The tips don't wear out, and I find them more responsive on the ride and hihat. The sound on my ride is really crappy, but that says more about my ride then about the sticks I think...
I think I will use 5AN for a while and see if I continue to like them.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:47 AM

I prefer wood tips. they just sound more natural to me and feel as they should. nylon sounds plastic to me.

as for nylon tips lasting longer... I'm playing vic fitgh 5a for more than half a year and they still work great, they look almost like new. I'm not a heavy hitter, maybe that's why...
Old 02-22-2007, 04:14 PM
X22

Sticks are cheap. Buy a pair of nylon tips and see how you like it. Nylon is brighter, not louder. I can be loud with either tip. Nylon holds up better. I use both depending on the situation.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:34 PM
Gold Member

I hate nylon tips. I feel detached when I play with them. The rebound feels strange and I don't like the sound the give on cymbals.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:43 PM
Platinum Member

I can't stand nylon tips.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:34 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pasquini View Post
I hate nylon tips. The rebound feels strange and I don't like the sound the give on cymbals.
I play nylon tips because i like the cut and i like how long they last, however i will agree with you -- i hate they way they rebound on my ride.

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:42 PM
Gold Member

It is all just an opinion thing. I really do like the way it can help you cut, but it changes the sound I think, rather than just intensifying it, you get a click, almost... Just how I feel.

P.S. I'll preach some Vater. They last really long compared to other wood tips IMO. I use 7A's and I hit REALLY hard. They are chipping, but not about to break or become unusable by any means.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:48 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pasquini View Post
It is all just an opinion thing. I really do like the way it can help you cut, but it changes the sound I think, rather than just intensifying it, you get a click, almost... Just how I feel.

P.S. I'll preach some Vater. They last really long compared to other wood tips IMO. I use 7A's and I hit REALLY hard. They are chipping, but not about to break or become unusable by any means.
well i may have to give vater wood tips a try -- i play fusions. The reason i went to nylon tips is i also play steve gadd signatures and the wood tips broke within a few hours of play. Ridiculous.

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:48 PM
Pioneer Member

I totally prefer Wood tip. They are more prone to breakage, but i love the sound they make on the cymbal. More natural feel, it's great.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:17 PM
da cheese walks

It depends what im playing!

I usually use wood tips....brilliant for dynamics, and they feel so much nicer...

I use Nylon tips if im doing heavy stuff, that usually destroys tips....because the only thing that happens to my sticks is the tips crack off etc....i always have left over stick shafts with no tips when using wood.....ahhhh....
Old 02-22-2007, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maytridy View Post
INylon tips sound like what they are...plastic.
And what are drumheads made out of? It ain't calfskin!

Because the dominant style nowdays is wood tip, it's hard to find plastic tips. I really like the Zildjian line of sticks, especialy the Trilok Gurtu signatures, but NONE of them are plastic tipped.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:33 PM
Gold Member

Growing up my Uncle and Mom both used Regal Tip 5B Nylons. So I tried those first, but my drum teacher was a die hard wood tip guy, so most of the time that's what I used. I was playing Zildjian sticks for a long time and they would chip and wear out real fast.

Only thing was, I like a real pingy clear ride, and the ride I had only gave me that sound when I was playing nylon. So I changed up to nylon, but the tips on the Zildjian sticks smashed into little bits!!!!
So I figured if you want nylon, go to the people who invented it. Regal Tip. Started played with the 5B's at first, then the 5BX, when those came out. And I have NEVER had a problem with the tips coming off or breaking.

Problem is, now I use the Metal-X and they only make it in wood tip :(
Old 02-27-2007, 01:24 PM

Every time I have ventured into wood tip sticks I've had to retire them early because part of the tips have sheered of. Now I may have inadvertanly hit a rim causing this to happen but at least this doesn't happen with nylon tips and I do like the sound of the nylon tips on cymbals and bells. So its nylon for me. Vater 5BN or 5AN for lighter playing.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:48 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib View Post

The same problem with me, that's why I use my favourite sticks - Vic Firth Jojo Mayer Signatures for gigs and recordings and when I practice on my drumset then I use 5A (shortened by 1cm, to match JM Sig stick dimensions) with nylon tips

my new d'n'b set-up!
Old 02-27-2007, 06:41 PM

I only use all wood sticks. especially with my cymbals, everything sounds so much brighter than with the wood tips, and you lose some of the "woody" qualities of jazz cymbals using nylon.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:27 AM

If you play any sort of aggressive music, esp. those at faster tempos, nylon tips offer little advantage. The extra durability everyone is speaking of applies mainly to softer music i.e. jazz. I you hit the drums (not cymbals) hard, your tips will fly off in a few days. And you probably will be using a pingy ride to start with, so you dont need any extra cutting power. And imo, Vic firth makes some of the best wood tip sticks available, but there nylons are the worst for losing tips, in fact i would go so far as to say zildjian has them beat in that respect.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:01 AM
Pioneer Member

In the 10 years or so that I've been drumming, I've found the difference in sound between wood and nylon tips to be so minute that it doesn't even matter. I always go for the wood tips first, but I have absolutely no reservations whatsoever to buying nylon tips if they are available. Then again, I play loud rock & roll, so I don't use the tips very often anyways.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:18 AM
Pioneer Member

I prefer the wood tip but use a nylon tip in the studio as most engineers tell me that it gets a more cutting and brighter sound.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=drummermikemccraw
Old 04-09-2007, 06:22 AM

Nylon tips will give a tone that cuts through the mix (wanking guitars). If you play at church, please don't use the nylon tips, (the soundman has enough of a challenge trying to please 200 helpful critics), and you probably don't need to cut through anything.

Nylon tips might also (just maybe) make a cheap cymbal sound a little better. But a crap cymbal is still crap, and there's little use in polishing a turd. I used to think that the nylon was absolutely awful on the drums and so-so on the brass, but for the last two decades, I just don't like them for either. Now that's the best I can do as far as listing the PROS of nylon.

Wood offers an organic tone, and that's why 98% of the posts before mine prefer wood.

I play the Zildjian 7A Hickory wood tip, they have the little round tip, and allow me to get many different tones. I like the weight, balance, density. The small round bead will chip away quicker than other shapes, but I love this stick. I play Gospel, R&B, Funk, in a eight piece band, and each pair of sticks last me about 12-15 hours. It is always the flat spots on the tips (from striking the bell of the ride I suspect) that causes me to retire them, but I think the mileage is reasonable.

This is alot like tube amplifiers versus solid state amplifiers, it's all about the tone, but the musicians are the only ones that really hear that perfect tone, most folks can't tell the difference and don't give a hoot.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:49 PM

This is why it is a good idea to buy more than 1 pair of sticks at a time. The other drummer at my church told me that he has broken ALL 15 pairs of sticks that he had! And now he wants to move on to mine lol

On the nylon vs wood. One of my nylon sticks got broken and so at the moment I'm playing with one nylon stick and one wood stick. But before it was broken I would use the nylon sticks for playing praise music because they cut through the music more and I would use the wood sticks for playing worship because they were not as loud.At the end of the day, you are the one playing so it is up to you to experiment and find out what suits you best.

Last edited by JCM; 04-12-2007 at 06:47 PM.