DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-18-2006, 04:36 AM

Default drumming gloves

Hey guys..new to the forum. Just wondering if any of you guys have ever heard of using batting gloves instead of various brands of drummers gloves? I have had a pair of Ahead gloves and Zildjian gloves and they both fell apart in a couple of weeks. Just curious.....
Old 07-18-2006, 06:12 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: drumming gloves

I like the Ahead gloves, I only use them with sticks that have grip tape though. No tape, no gloves.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:15 PM
adamjames

I use Nike batting gloves. I have went thru several pair of the Aheads. As you have said, they fall apart. The batting gloves hold up much better and IMO they hold up better too. The best part is they only cost 15 or $20. The Ahead gloves are almost $40 where I shop.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:33 AM

Do you guys use drumming gloves to prevent blisters or does it also improve your grip on sticks?

|| Mosquito ||
Old 10-16-2006, 06:46 AM

Default gloves

i've noticed some drummers use fingerless gloves while they are playing, and i'm wondering where to get some gloves like that and how much do the cost? My hands have been getting blisters latley and they hurt! So I want a pair of gloves to help stop getting blisters. Thanks in advance to anyone who helps
Old 10-16-2006, 06:54 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: gloves

Well, I think first you should look at your technique, including how tightly you are gripping the sticks, how much they move around in your hands, and how hard you are playing. I know that one day I was playing with a pep band on a bass drum, just walking around campus. I completely ignored any technique, and by the end of an hour, both of my hands had blisters, and they had both broken open.

I'd take a look at your technique first. A mojority of problems can be solved this way.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:06 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Clicky linky searchy posty.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:55 PM

Ahead grip tape is the only thing I'll ever need. I swear by it. Gloves (in my opinion) are dorky.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:28 PM

I didnt need gloves until i joined my band where every song is 90mph metal. That will make anyone blister, trust me. Coaches' tape on your sticks helps me quite a bit and is cheaper than any drum-specific grip tape, and imo is better overall.

Has anyone tried using Mechanix brand gloves?
Old 01-26-2007, 05:37 PM
Administrator

I have some tape from work that is like an Ace bandage but has adhesive on the back. Just one wrap around and success, no more dropped sticks, and no more death grip causing blisters. If you are dead set on gloves try cheap golfing gloves.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:29 PM
Senior Consultant

I hear that they make them in a nice shade of pink.

Seriously, if you need gloves then there's something wrong. It always comes back to a technique thing. It has nothing to do with how hard you hit or how fast you play.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Almeyda View Post
I hear that they make them in a nice shade of pink.

Seriously, if you need gloves then there's something wrong. It always comes back to a technique thing. It has nothing to do with how hard you hit or how fast you play.
I'm with you , my drum teacher told me a long time ago, if your getting blisters your holding too tight. He was right. You don't need gloves.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:26 AM

I don't mean to insult anyone, so please don't take this to heart, but to me, gloves are the wussy way out. The blisters are all part of drumming. As everyone of my drum teachers has said in the past: if you haven't been playing enough to have caluses, then you need to practice more.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:46 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonhamPeart View Post
I don't mean to insult anyone, so please don't take this to heart, but to me, gloves are the wussy way out. The blisters are all part of drumming. As everyone of my drum teachers has said in the past: if you haven't been playing enough to have caluses, then you need to practice more.
I dont really get blisters, but BP, check out my signature.

The Incarnate, http://www.elevation-music.com/sthasoshskdr.html check that out. I was actually thinking about getting them because i drop my sticks alot.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:58 AM

I always thought glvoes were wimpy, too, and I have some major calouses that I've had for almost 20 years. Recently though, I have been having problems with my hands drying up and cracking and bleeding all the time as I live in a very dry climate. Also using bigger sticks than I used to and playing every day have contributed some pretty gnarly blisters. I also tend to get a different set of blisters when I practice at home on my practice pad set up than I do playing on my kit. This seems to have to do with where I'm striking - one surface vs. the whole kit.

So, I picked up a pair of the Zildjian gloves and they do the trick quite nicely. I don't play with them every time, though, and I don't imagine I will. But I think that if you're having a hard time with your hands, it's definitely worthwhile to wear them until the problems clear up.

I do agree with the guys that say you should have calouses - if you don't, you're not playing right/enough.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:36 PM

A lot of drummers struggle with dropping sticks due to sweaty hands. My problem has always been the opposite; I have very dry skin. A couple of years ago I discovered coated drumsticks (Zildjian, Vic Firth, Pro Mark) and my problem was solved - almost.
Although my grip was improved, I was still getting sore spots and blisters. Unlike some of the more "macho" drummers out there, I prefer to avoid pain and discomfort so I can focus on playing.
One night at rehearsal I tried playing with a pair of neoprene handbell gloves, which worked okay, but they wore out quickly. Then our bass player, an avid golfer, brought me a pair of Ping golf gloves, and that was it! I now play with more confidence than ever because I don't have to worry about dropping sticks anymore.
To all of you decrying gloves as 'dorky' and 'wussy' I say this: Grow Up! The goal of drumming is to make music, not establish your manhood. If a drummer, such as myself, finds a solution that allows them to play more comfortably, then more power to them!
I recommend golf gloves in cabretta leather - they are lightweight, comfortable and fairly durable.
As for wrapping your sticks, don't waste your money on "drum tape" from drum makers. I use regular old electrical tape - it's the same stuff, anyway! It comes in lots of colors (including clear) and is a lot cheaper.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:31 AM

I don't understand why anyone would want to wear gloves for any reason while drumming. Not trying to bash anyone, I just think it looks goofy. I had to wear gloves with my marching uniform back when I did drumline and i absolutely hated it. I don't like the lack of feel from the sticks making contact and even though the had grip on them, I actually felt like I was gonna send the stick flying on every upstroke. IMO gloves are bad for playing and for looks...but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member

I use Vater gloves, which are very nice. They're very tight-fitting, so I lose very little stick feel, but they give me lots more grip on sweaty gigs, and keep my hands mostly blister-free (not completely, since they're so thin and tight). Been using the same pair for 3-4 months now, and they hold up well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonhamPeart View Post
So if I don't have callouses, I can't be a good drummer? Give me one reason why blisters have anything to do with drumming, and I might take you seriously. As it stands, you just provided your opinion with no reasoning to back it up.

Last edited by Naigewron; 05-24-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Incarnate View Post
Hey guys..new to the forum. Just wondering if any of you guys have ever heard of using batting gloves instead of various brands of drummers gloves? I have had a pair of Ahead gloves and Zildjian gloves and they both fell apart in a couple of weeks. Just curious.....
I have never heard of that nor have I heard of anyone wearing out their gloves in a couple of weeks maybe you should check your technique. What grip do you play with? A lot of drummers that play traditional wear gloves and also to protect your hands from blisters.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naigewron View Post
I use Vater gloves, which are very nice. They're very tight-fitting, so I lose very little stick feel, but they give me lots more grip on sweaty gigs, and keep my hands mostly blister-free (not completely, since they're so thin and tight). Been using the same pair for 3-4 months now, and they hold up well.

Give me one reason why blisters have anything to do with drumming, and I might take you seriously. As it stands, you just provided your opinion with no reasoning to back it up.
well, when you play long enough and PRACTICE you get blisters. A good , long practice will give you blisters definetly so I would say they are a definite negative but prooful part of drum practice!!!!Plus, if you hold your sticks to tight you get blisters so either way you will at least one time get blisters one way or the other!!
Old 05-27-2009, 01:00 AM

Wow!
It appears there's not much middle ground on the gloves issue; they're either loved or hated.
To each his own, I guess, but it makes sense to me that if you're practicing long and hard enough to get blisters maybe you should take a break. Or practice with gloves!

I'm surprised to hear that so many gloves are wearing out so quickly. I got my golf gloves back in November, and just this past week wore a hole in one of them. Granted, I only play a few times a week, but that includes a 2-3 hour rehearsal and 3 high-energy services on Sunday. (This is not your father's praise band!)
Since I didn't have time to pick up a new glove I put a band-aid on my finger so I wouldn't get - you guessed it - A Blister!

Uh-oh! Since I took preemptive steps to avoid a blister, does that mean I'm no longer a 'real' drummer??
Just playin' around, folks! Don't cuss me out too bad!

Find what works for you, and make it work the best it can. The important thing is to KEEP DRUMMING!
Old 05-28-2009, 10:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicTheStick View Post
Wow!
It appears there's not much middle ground on the gloves issue; they're either loved or hated.
yea this caused quite a bit on controversy

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=48664
Old 05-28-2009, 11:25 PM

A friend of mine recommended football gloves for wide recievers which makes sense. I was also thinking golf gloves but definatly not drummer gloves, you could probibly get alot more grip from something else.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:57 AM

I wore Mechanix Wear utility gloves after some trial and error with other gloves (curling, baseball, golf, drumming). I liked them and was comfortable in them. But then I found I had to wrap the sticks in hockey stick tape so I could keep a grip on my sticks.

When we went from playing as a 4 piece to a three, I was working on my grip and was finding I was gripping softer and didn't feel I needed the gloves or tape. When I tried without the gloves I found I had way more feeI... No gloves was the right choice! (sorta)

I got the odd small blister if I was not watching what I was doing. Nothing I could not handle... That was until Sunday. An old band mate came out for a visit and we jammed as a 4 piece. The volume level went up just due to the second amp/cab and well, my volume followed suit. With my increase in volume I went right back to my old habits, and got blisters in the same old spots. I am going to have to go for some lessons.

Its my thought that gloves and blisters have as much place in drumming as knitting and hot dogs do. If you got blisters on your feet from a crappy pair of shoes, would you keep the shoes and wear band aids on your heals? Not this guy!

But if you are still in for the gloves thing, head down to an auto parts store or hardware store and try a pair of these gloves on. I have big paws and the XL ones fit great...

Joe

Old 05-29-2009, 10:19 PM

Thanx for the tip! I'm going this weekend to scope out some batting gloves, and I'll definitely take a gander at the Mechanix.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:00 PM

Well, I have Ahead gloves and they are falling apart, I noticed a whole in them the other night at practice. AND, I don't even wear them much when I practice alone? I have just worn them to band practice and gigs. I also don't like the fact that the velcro tears up the top of the gloves when not in use too. I do like the exra support on the wrists.
I recently got some batting gloves at Walmart but have yet to use them in a gig..I think I'll try them next practice and may use them for our gig next friday. It's supposed to be outdoors (unless rain) and I know my hands will be very sweaty! I can play either way, bur when I first came back to drumming I had lots of problems dropping sticks, so that's when I started using gloves. now, I use them some, sometimes not, whatever.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member

Just don't tell anyone that they look "gay" and only belong in "butt rock". ;)
Old 06-01-2009, 12:36 AM
Silver Member

Unless you are on tour playing 5 or more shows a week there is no need for gloves. Learn better technique as the others have mentioned. Then practice till they bleed.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirwill View Post
Unless you are on tour playing 5 or more shows a week there is no need for gloves. Learn better technique as the others have mentioned. Then practice till they bleed.
This is the attitude I don't get, why do gloves automatically mean I have bad technique? Can't I both have good technique and prefer to play with gloves? Your post simply makes no sense at all, and frankly, it's a little insulting. I suppose if you happened to see my band play, you'd automatically think I was a bad drummer? Prejudiced much?

As for "practicing until they bleed"... Well, given the choice between bleeding and not bleeding, I prefer not bleeding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
Just don't tell anyone that they look "gay" and only belong in "butt rock". ;)
No need to bring that into this thread as well

edit: I just realised how ancient this thread is.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:13 AM
Silver Member

If you have good technique then please post a video to share. If you want to were gloves when you drum thats your choice. I truly don't think that there is a glove out there that will give you the feeling of a well worn hand of a drummers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naigewron View Post
This is the attitude I don't get, why do gloves automatically mean I have bad technique? Can't I both have good technique and prefer to play with gloves? Your post simply makes no sense at all, and frankly, it's a little insulting. I suppose if you happened to see my band play, you'd automatically think I was a bad drummer? Prejudiced much?

As for "practicing until they bleed"... Well, given the choice between bleeding and not bleeding, I prefer not bleeding.

No need to bring that into this thread as well

edit: I just realised how ancient this thread is.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ness View Post
i've noticed some drummers use fingerless gloves while they are playing, and i'm wondering where to get some gloves like that and how much do the cost? My hands have been getting blisters latley and they hurt! So I want a pair of gloves to help stop getting blisters. Thanks in advance to anyone who helps
bike shop
bike shop
bike shop

like performance bikes
Old 06-05-2009, 07:23 AM

well an update: I tried my batting gloves tonight at rehearsal and they were okay but maybe a little thick? They were pretty comfortable but seemed a little more restrictive than the ahead ones. It's like the don't hardly breathe at all. They do seem like they will hold up very well though. The Ahead gloves are thinner and more comfortable but they are starting to rip on the thumb seam. I haven't been wearing gloves at all when I practice but I think at certain shows when I get sweaty they do help some. It's not that big of a difference but I guess a personal decision. I will be playing outside tomorrow so I'm not sure if I'll wear or not? May for the 1st set to see how it goes. I've been drumming for 29 years and have only just tried gloves this past year. I had to quit drums for a while so my technique/grip, well everything had to get back into shape. I do think the gloves helped during that period but I wouldn't say I have to wear them now and after I get my strength and touch back to where it was I may not wear them at all?
Old 06-05-2009, 11:29 PM

This may sound very traditional, but actually just use my bare hands.... :-D
Old 10-25-2010, 11:31 PM

ive been using mechanics gloves 4 a while when my hands cant take the blisters anymore...they work great and last a long time. even after 25 years of playin...ya STILL git a painfull blister or two!!! just bust it or cut it off and wear gloves till it heals!! \m/ ROCK ON!! \m/
Old 10-26-2010, 08:52 PM

I used to tape my figures, kinda like Lars. Once I learned to loosen up my grip I didn't need the tape anymore. I little moisture gives me some grip when needed.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Incarnate View Post
Go to a golf pro shop or something like SportsAuthority and get golf gloves they will have lefts and rights, you can always get them cheaper that the drumming gloves, and they last a long time. Never dropped a stick yet after wearing gloves for the last year.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:57 AM
Silver Member

I have some seriously sweaty mitts...I use gymnasts chalk...dries out my hands and makes the sticks tacky, so I dont drop em....the stuff is dirt cheap to boot.

F
Old 11-01-2010, 06:11 PM

I can make a quick and cheap suggestion to those that drop their sticks often. Buy 19mm (3/4" dia.) heat shrink tubing and apply/shrink it to your sticks. 19mm tubing shrinks down to 3/8" diameter so it fits all the popular sizes. The benefits are two fold, it absorbs shock and provides a nice grippy surface. Plus you can cut it to whatever length you want. One tip however, heat it starting from the butt end first. Most importantly, for what you'll pay for one pair of drumming gloves, you could probably apply the tubing to dozens of sticks!

Edit: there's different material heat shrink. The type I used was polyolefin and it's typically black, but also can be red or green.

Last edited by SAINTDRUMS; 11-01-2010 at 06:15 PM. Reason: add material name
Old 11-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Platinum Member

I only use the one, my left hand feels better bare.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:34 PM

I bought a pair of some lambskin fingerless gloves when i first started drumming because of the callusing i'm sure we've all experienced, i liked em at first but then when i got better and my hands toughened up from callusing i realized that they just kind of restricted my movement, i don't know if all gloves are like this, but maybe invest in some gorrila snot or something