DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 08-17-2005, 06:07 PM

Default Tommy Lee

[edit: What's the point of starting a thread to say how much you don't like someone? Maybe others will have something more positive to say. DB]

Last edited by DogBreath; 10-03-2005 at 08:02 AM.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:18 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Tommy Lee

Please... you're going to start another Travis Barker type post. Tommy Lee is an OK drummer. Drumming is something secondary to his personal life and his career as a 2-bit celebrity. He is a lucky guy who was in the right place at the right time. You should spend less time worrying about what goes on TV. It seem's that "reality TV" has very little to with reality.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlow
Please... you're going to start another Travis Barker type post. Tommy Lee is an OK drummer. Drumming is something secondary to his personal life and his career as a 2-bit celebrity. He is a lucky guy who was in the right place at the right time. You should spend less time worrying about what goes on TV. It seem's that "reality TV" has very little to with reality.

You said it best, he's an OK drummer...nothing special so dont go see motley crue for the drum solo's
Remo Heads
Email: hotsauce3n@aim.com

MY DRUMS
Old 08-18-2005, 12:24 AM

Tommy Lee is just ok. I like Motley Crue and their music a lot, but I can still understand how Tommy Lee isn't great, or even good. I think he's a good showman though. But not technically a good drummer. Alright.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:18 AM

and zildjian designed the thrasher series for tommy lee??
Old 08-21-2005, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce3n
You said it best, he's an OK drummer...nothing special so dont go see motley crue for the drum solo's
I remeber back to when Motley Crue came through in June of 1990. The thing everything was talking about was the upside down drumming. How many regular people do you know come back from a concert and talk about the drum solo? That was the only time I remember plus the huge percentage of people that brought it up was amazing. He deserves some credit for that. Yeah he isn't the most technical but when it comes to rock, he seems to get his point across.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:38 PM
Thinshells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plook
I remeber back to when Motley Crue came through in June of 1990. The thing everything was talking about was the upside down drumming. How many regular people do you know come back from a concert and talk about the drum solo? That was the only time I remember plus the huge percentage of people that brought it up was amazing. He deserves some credit for that. Yeah he isn't the most technical but when it comes to rock, he seems to get his point across.
I have a video of Buddy Rich that did the inverted kit playing (simple riser with cables) and toasted Tommy Lee's solo. Toomy's rig looked cooler. He said it was a nightmare, and that a "Drum solo is such a waste of notes."

Listening to some of Motley Crue's stuff, Tommy sounds like he has kind of a disco-rock beat on a lot of tunes. He fit that band though.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:47 PM

i saw tommy lee talking about his show the other night on 'late night with conan o'brian' and it was pretty funny when he confessed he couldn't read music because he only learnt it in high school, and how his band never used music (which is fair enough). i would like to see how bad he is at reading music, but i live in europe so i can't watch that show.
he also has a fetish for toes and likes to lick people on their faces.

hehe thomas lee bass!
Old 08-25-2005, 07:11 AM
Pioneer Member

He is a good example of a decent drummer. His playing is ok, his fills are ok, his feel is neat, his live performances are fun... he's very much an icon to non-drummers, but to those of us who know what to look for, he's just ok. Nothing special, but he's definately "great" to people at large.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:07 AM

I think hes better than what you guys are saying about him I'm sure hes great I bet he can do alot of stuff but I never heard his drumsolo's so if anyone has make an attachment because I would like to hear it thanks...
Old 08-26-2005, 04:17 AM
Pioneer Member

I have some old solos on tape I will try to get them up into a wav file...

I have always liked him he is a very good drummer, just because you may not like his tv show or Motely Crue does not mean he is as bad as some of you think.

I don't care for Blink 182, but I can admit Barker can play better than me, just like Tommy Lee can play better than more than half of you that are bashing him.

Just my opinion....
Old 08-26-2005, 07:24 AM

I found one drum solo by Tommy I'm sure there's more if anyone can find any but this one is pretty cool the interesting thing about Tommy's solo's is he's doing something cool with his drumset it's amazing he played a solo 50 feet above the audience It's not that he wants to make his solo's sound perfect he just want's to have fun and make his solo's look cool by either playing upside down, in a cage, Fire etc..... although his solo's (musically) didn't really impress the crowd. He's a good drummer If I ever do a solo live I would want to be upside down or above the crowd in this globe thingy that would be so cool :D anyways check his solo out...
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Tommy Lee Drumsolo.mp3 (5.98 MB, 2021 views)
Old 08-26-2005, 08:14 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymasta
I found one drum solo by Tommy I'm sure there's more if anyone can find any but this one is pretty cool the interesting thing about Tommy's solo's is he's doing something cool with his drumset it's amazing he played a solo 50 feet above the audience It's not that he wants to make his solo's sound perfect he just want's to have fun and make his solo's look cool by either playing upside down, in a cage, Fire etc..... although his solo's (musically) didn't really impress the crowd. He's a good drummer If I ever do a solo live I would want to be upside down or above the crowd in this globe thingy that would be so cool :D anyways check his solo out...

It's not a bad solo in my opinion but listening to it and the speed of some of his double bass patterns incorporating the cowbell is very cool and something that I would love to hear the others on here that are bashing him, try to duplicate.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsjr44
It's not a bad solo in my opinion but listening to it and the speed of some of his double bass patterns incorporating the cowbell is very cool and something that I would love to hear the others on here that are bashing him, try to duplicate.
Yes I loved how he did the cowbell. His solo's are all about fun and they are fun to watch. I think the solo's are the funnest that happens at a motley crue show Tommy is a good drummer everytime I hear him play he gets me to run for my drums and just play a bunch of random stuff. :)
Old 08-27-2005, 03:39 AM
Silver Member

I gotta say he's one of my favourite drummers. He's always tried his best to make the drums seem like an exciting and fun instrument, whether its playing upside down in a cage or flying above the crowd. Those are the kinds of things that make people want to play drums.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:28 AM

is tommy lee even on this site?
Old 08-27-2005, 08:31 AM

i do not find tommy lee impressive or even a good drummer. i don't even lik motley crue. i think they r a bunch of sell outs. i personaly think he was at the right place at the right time nd got lucky. especially after that band tryout on his t.v. show. i KNO i couldve done better. nd as far as tommy lee playin better than half of the ppl baggin on him i highly doubt that. nd if its tru thats sad nd im not 1 of them.

nd i think travis barker is a fine drummer.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward
good question. i azwel would lik 2 kno.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h3lli0N
i do not find tommy lee impressive or even a good drummer. i don't even lik motley crue. i think they r a bunch of sell outs. i personaly think he was at the right place at the right time nd got lucky. especially after that band tryout on his t.v. show. i KNO i couldve done better. nd as far as tommy lee playin better than half of the ppl baggin on him i highly doubt that. nd if its tru thats sad nd im not 1 of them.

nd i think travis barker is a fine drummer.
You can't just judge tommy now you haven't seen everything he can do on drums and I think he is an excellent drummer he can do alot of stuff. His solo's are mainly about fun and he probably is better than most here that are bashing him he started playing when he was four and he's pretty damn good. Before you say you could of done better you should try out for yourself It's harder than it looks. Travis Barker is also a fine drummer he's got alot of talent but his latest solo on drummerworld was also about the fun of it! Flashing lights and a spinning drum platform that goes high it more about the visuals for that solo In my opinion And Tommy Lee is on the site just look! or type it....
Old 08-27-2005, 08:56 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward
Quote:
Originally Posted by h3lli0N
good question. i azwel would lik 2 kno.
Right here, guys.

Last edited by DogBreath; 10-03-2005 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:47 PM

Quote:
You can't just judge tommy now you haven't seen everything he can do on drums and I think he is an excellent drummer he can do alot of stuff. His solo's are mainly about fun and he probably is better than most here that are bashing him he started playing when he was four and he's pretty damn good. Before you say you could of done better you should try out for yourself It's harder than it looks. Travis Barker is also a fine drummer he's got alot of talent but his latest solo on drummerworld was also about the fun of it! Flashing lights and a spinning drum platform that goes high it more about the visuals for that solo In my opinion And Tommy Lee is on the site just look! or type it....

ur right as far comparing goes he has his style i hav mine...but what bout this ^ (bold) ^. i shur could've done better than him nd i hav tried it. i played snare nd quads for 3 yrs. (8th-soph) nd im planing on playin hem this junior yr. azwell.

note: i was one of the best snare drummers at my old highschool. it was a private school not huge, but filled w/ talent.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:52 PM
jamndrummer

Yesterday I spoke with Skillets Drummer - Lori Peters and she told me she recently seen Tommy Lee performing at a concert. She mentioned that during the show, Tommy was lifted off the stage into the air where 2 more drum kits and percussion instruments were stationed and he played on them for part of his drum solo. She rather enjoyed his drum solo.

She also stated that on his stage kit, he actually used a 31" kick drum....is that HUGH or what?
Old 08-30-2005, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamndrummer
Yesterday I spoke with Skillets Drummer - Lori Peters and she told me she recently seen Tommy Lee performing at a concert. She mentioned that during the show, Tommy was lifted off the stage into the air where 2 more drum kits and percussion instruments were stationed and he played on them for part of his drum solo. She rather enjoyed his drum solo.

She also stated that on his stage kit, he actually used a 31" kick drum....is that HUGH or what?
Yeah man just look at his live performances you'll see it!
Old 08-30-2005, 11:24 PM
Silver Member

Tommy Lee was one of my major influences growing up as a kid; he definately made me want to pick up a pair of sticks. I have to laugh at the comments about him being "mediocre", "a nobody", "not impressive", or "not even a good drummer". As far as the bashers, and I'm not saying this just because of Tommy's influence on me, he's sold millions of albums with Motley Crue, toured all over the world and is still selling out shows on Motley Crue's reunion tour...but I guess that's what happens when you're a nobody.

I have to agree with Jaymaster that if it weren't for most bands, the drummers would be nobodys.

I don't like Blink 182 at all...but I think that Travis Barker is a great drummer.

Oh, I'm sure that h3llion would've done better on that college marching band tryout than tommy did on his TV show...even if he hadn't picked up a set of quad toms in 20 plus years! I started marching band when i was 11 years old and played all the way to my graduating year of high school; If i were to pick up my quad toms now after being away from them 10 years...it wouldn't be easy either.

If you've really listened to Motley Crue's stuff...Tommy's drumming is killer...both his sound and his playing...he was perfect for the Crue. His solos and his drumming might not have been very "technical", but his solos were fun to watch and his drumming definately inspired me. And I'm sure they've inspired others.

Not bad for a "medicore" drummer.

birch
Old 08-31-2005, 12:47 AM

I don't understand what people got against him He's an entertaining drummer very good to. He has a good show I watch it every Tuesday. He's in a great band. He tours across the world. He get's good pay for what he does. And he's a really really nice guy I never met him but I've seen how he acts when meeting new people. And he has two solo records that other successful singers/bands helped him out with I just don't like that music. So what do people have against him?.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:12 AM
Silver Member

I thought I was the only one on this forum who was a Tommy fan. Serously, as far as rock drummers go, I think he's one of the best. Check out the Crue's live album, there's some cool playing on it.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:53 AM
iamanditwill

I think its Tommy Lee's passion for the music that makes him great.Just like Lars and Travis.The exact opposite would be like the drummer from the Rolling Stones who looks like he is thinking about what he's going to watch on tv later while he's playing.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:01 AM
iamanditwill

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlit
I thought I was the only one on this forum who was a Tommy fan. Serously, as far as rock drummers go, I think he's one of the best. Check out the Crue's live album, there's some cool playing on it.
The double bass roll he did on the first song was sick!One of the baddest things I have ever heard.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:35 AM

I don't like tommy lee, which I stated before. But, I will give him this...him, and Motley Crue played a version of "Hot For Teacher", by Van Halen...and Tommy did a pretty nice AVH impression.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:18 AM

Tommy played the opening of Hot for Teacher!!!!????
Old 09-08-2005, 05:04 AM
Pioneer Member

as many said before I don't think his drumming is bad but not great either. however he does know how to put up a great show (which probably also makes a lot non-drummers like him more) and also plays a quite impressive set-up.

http://www.dwdrums.com/artists/backs...e_pix/lee1.htm
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2005, 05:38 AM

Top Notch Heavy Rock drummer who made a lot of money and fame doing what he loves. Not a Marco Minnemann or Lang by any means, however.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMunsey
Tommy played the opening of Hot for Teacher!!!!????
Well yes from what I heard. Although, his bass drum doesn't sound like it has anything inside of there. Sounds almost like a rally really low tom-tom. He might've just played that instead.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:00 AM

geez, a lot of haters on the board here. i'd say T.L. isn't mediocre at all. a great rock drummer who played his parts with the crue perfectly. lot of cats talking a lot of BS about how they could do much better etc. same guys you'll never see post any soundclips of 'em selves i'm sure. how does it feel to be so jealous?
Old 09-09-2005, 05:05 AM

Hey did any of you see that episode of Tommy Lee goes to college there's a part where he's messing around on a drum set It was pretty damn cool what he was doing he was like soloing and it was very impressive especially for a 4-piece when he plays on a bigger set!
Old 09-09-2005, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by on_the_one
geez, a lot of haters on the board here. i'd say T.L. isn't mediocre at all. a great rock drummer who played his parts with the crue perfectly. lot of cats talking a lot of BS about how they could do much better etc. same guys you'll never see post any soundclips of 'em selves i'm sure. how does it feel to be so jealous?

Couldn't agree with you more bro. Stay Loud .
Old 09-10-2005, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Hey did any of you see that episode of Tommy Lee goes to college there's a part where he's messing around on a drum set It was pretty damn cool what he was doing he was like soloing and it was very impressive especially for a 4-piece when he plays on a bigger set!
I wish I could've seen that. I haven't seen his show yet.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:45 AM
Krupamoon

Seems like some folks are jealous of Tommy Lee. If you are so much better of a drummer, how come no one has heard of you?
Old 09-15-2005, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krupamoon
Seems like some folks are jealous of Tommy Lee. If you are so much better of a drummer, how come no one has heard of you?
Most of us weren't in a real popular Hair Metal band...
Old 09-22-2005, 12:16 AM

Tommy Lee is a solid rock drummer. Period. I don't understand what you guys want from him. Terry Bozzio coordination? Dennis Chambers speed? It's all totally irrelevant in the context of the music he's chosen to play. Which he plays well.

It was amusing to watch him fumble around on the quads, though. But you do have to realize that they edited out 99% of the rehearsals and threw in the shots of him blowing it. And it had been twenty years and is a totally different instrument than the kit.