DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-07-2006, 06:24 AM
Silver Member

Default DW 9002s

Has anyone ever played on these pedals and thought they weren't that good for the price they were? I played on my friends set of these and I was expecting god-like pedals and i was extremely dissapointed they seem so fake and it felt like you couldn't get much power out of them. I don't know if it was just his set of pedals and they were adjusted weird or what, but I wasn't getting any $499.99 speed out of it that I couldn't get out of my $200 ludwig double bass pedal. I thought mine felt faster and better actually. Anyone think that it was just the pair i was playing on? I played on some DW 5002's and they felt so much better.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:33 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: DW 9002s

never played on the 9002 outside of GC. I have the 5002's -- and when i went to go buy em, i tried the 9002's. I could not tell enough difference to justify the $140 in cost difference. Plus, i do like having the springs on the outside of the pedal -- i cant imagine why it would be better to have them on the inside where you are placing your foot.... ?

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:36 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

I tried out a 9000 and a 5000 (along with an Elminator) when I was choosing my new pedal back last September, I found the 9000 to be too smooth for my normal playing, (bear in mind I was coming from a Pearl P-100) I liked it, but I couldn't justify the massive price difference either. The floating cam design IMO is a bit of a gimmick. Sure they're good pedals, but the 5000 seems a tad more 'sensible'. It's not like the 5000 is exactly lacking in smoothness.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:46 PM

Hey, guys, I bought the 9000 double pedals about 4 months ago. When I was researching new pedals - I played the 5000 for 8 years - I looked at almost everything. The point is, I went with the 9000's because of the infinite adjustments. When I first got them, I felt the same way as far as not getting enough power. But, I gotta tell ya, those pedals really are infinately adjustable. You can adjust anything and everything on those pedals down to a milimeter. In short, I'm super happy I bought them and I would recomend them to anybody...provided you've researched all your options. Just my 2 cents.

http://www.myspace.com/stevenoreilly
Old 07-07-2006, 02:54 PM
Gold Member

i played them and i think there just as good as dw 5000 double pedals. i think they overcharge wayyyy to much for those. i think the best buy though is the pearl eliminator
Old 07-07-2006, 03:09 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Oreilly, you have a point. The infinitely adjustable cams look like a great idea. For half the money though you can get an Eliminator, which admittedly doesn't have infinitely adjustable cams, but how much difference would a tiny increment make anyway? I'm very firmly in the DW overcharging camp. Although I do appreciate that the 9000 is a great pedal.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:03 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdawg_2010
i played them and i think there just as good as dw 5000 double pedals. i think they overcharge wayyyy to much for those. i think the best buy though is the pearl eliminator
Thats what my Uncle said, he stated that the 5002's were just as good as the 9002s
Old 07-07-2006, 09:23 PM

I'm pretty sure the reason why you didn't like the 9000s of your friend were his adjustments. Many possibilities of adjustment also bring many possibilities of "making it worse". You're probably just used to your own pedals so that you don't have a feel for your friend's.
Still, I also think the 9000s are overpriced.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:43 PM

I got a pair of 9002's a few months ago, very nice pedals. As Oreilly said they have an INFINITE amount of adjustments you can do to it, spring tension and cam adjustments and messing with the foot plates and what not. Althought I did have to play around with it for a few hours when I first got it, I really believe it can be adjust to almost anyones playing style. As far as them being "floaty" and not being able to get power out of it, thats the users fault right there because If I loosen the cams and spring tension on mine, I can stomp down on that sucker and get a huge sound out of it, or go in reverse and tigten up on the cam and get that "floaty" feel. You should definately get to a GC or some drum shop though and try out all the pedals there though.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:55 PM

i really can't tell the difference on pedals. i own double bass pedal DW 5002 and to be honest i can play the same on those as i can on a 100 double bass pedal. don't feel much different to me
Old 07-08-2006, 04:43 AM
Silver Member

The 9000 series feel super smooth to me and require more touch to play IMO. I can't get my Tama Iron Cobras to feel like those. Every tiny movement is transmitted to the beater and I wanted that to get my touch with the BDs to improve. I have a little 18" BD on the way from Fed Ex and I'm going to work on my jazz grooves and BD sensitivity with the tiny BD, the 9000s, a "Frankenstein" snare and a few light, jazzy cymbals.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:17 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sLarkin20
I got a pair of 9002's a few months ago, very nice pedals. As Oreilly said they have an INFINITE amount of adjustments you can do to it, spring tension and cam adjustments and messing with the foot plates and what not. Althought I did have to play around with it for a few hours when I first got it, I really believe it can be adjust to almost anyones playing style. As far as them being "floaty" and not being able to get power out of it, thats the users fault right there because If I loosen the cams and spring tension on mine, I can stomp down on that sucker and get a huge sound out of it, or go in reverse and tigten up on the cam and get that "floaty" feel. You should definately get to a GC or some drum shop though and try out all the pedals there though.
I think that was actually the problem right there, my friend doesn't know how to adjust things very well, i have a feeling he just took it out of the box and plopped it on there. He gets on my kit and tells me my boxers are to bouncy and too far back (i love that)
Old 07-08-2006, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat
Oreilly, you have a point. The infinitely adjustable cams look like a great idea. For half the money though you can get an Eliminator, which admittedly doesn't have infinitely adjustable cams, but how much difference would a tiny increment make anyway? I'm very firmly in the DW overcharging camp. Although I do appreciate that the 9000 is a great pedal.

I will definately agree that DW stuff is way expensive. But, for me, I haven't found anything that holds up as long and feels as good as DW stuff. So, I can justify paying a little more for good gear. And, DW's customer service has been outstanding to me and that says a lot about a company. When I got my first 5000 double pedal about 8 years ago, one of the rivets in the connector bar popped out and caused a sluggish feel on the left pedal. I called DW and I had a brand new bar at my door within 3 days, no questions asked. Again, for these reasons, I don't mind a little higher price...that, and they're pedals just feel so damn good!

http://www.myspace.com/stevenoreilly
Old 07-08-2006, 02:51 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

That's fair enough. Ultimately if you're prepared to pay that little extra and you can justify it to yourself, then I see no problem.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:29 AM

I have the 9002's.

Its day 2, and I still cant get the left pedal to feel like the right.

I'm starting to get frusterated. I've tried all the adjustments ( and there is many ).
Old 12-08-2006, 07:24 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
never played on the 9002 outside of GC. I have the 5002's -- and when i went to go buy em, i tried the 9002's. I could not tell enough difference to justify the $140 in cost difference. Plus, i do like having the springs on the outside of the pedal -- i cant imagine why it would be better to have them on the inside where you are placing your foot.... ?
I agree with Fat Elvis. I have never found one of these that the feel justifies the price tag and my old tried and true 5000 single chain accelerators feel better than the 9002. The 9002 just feel strange!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=drummermikemccraw
Old 05-07-2010, 01:12 AM

My big thing is no matter what thread you read pearl, dw, axis and trick pedals people always complain. They are all expensive, all of them, I would say not overpriced cause they are all priced relatively the same. When it comes to pedals you get what you pay for and sure you can do the same on 200 that you can do on a 600 dallor pedal for the most part. They are all pedals and fundmentally all work the same. You can play with pearl forum series or dw collectors and guess what if you put nice heads on the forums and tune them well they sound good. Price is subjective to everyone. If you wanna play complex kick beats all high end top dallor pedals makes a difference in feel and speed. Finding which one that is right for you is the key. I went from pearl elimanators to demon drive, the difference was night and day. DW 9000 series are awesome also. No experience on trick or axis because I don not know anyone who owns them and no store carrys them. I will not buy something I canot test first.