DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-26-2007, 05:57 PM

Default Re: How to get PUNCHY bass?

Karl - there's no doubt that you're a prolific poster :-) - I've always taken that as a sign of your enthusiasm for the subject and not as sign of arrogance or anything like that.

And after all - it is a discussion forum.

keep it coming.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Karl View Post
thanks. =)

Anyway, it really hurts that I look like a person here who just likes to hear his own voice, that I seem arrogant for people here and without "a clue"

Karl
Okay, here's my thoughts on the matter at hand: i.e. criticism.

If you want to be a musician you have to get used to it. Remember the line "everyone's a critic" because it is true. I was once on a gig playing percussion with a pop act and in between sets this guy came up to me and complained that I wasn't playing, in his words "Afro Cuban enough!" I had been instructed by the artist not to play conventional latin style percussion. And here I was covering the artist to her satisfaction and then being balled out by some guy who didn't have a gig on that particular Saturday night. I simply said to him "Really?". Collected the cheque and laughed it off.

As we saw here it was only a matter of someone probably not fully awake at the time anyway. He seems a decent sort and so do you. The point is not to let it get to you. You need a thick skin in this business. The sensitive ones don't usually last. At least that's my experience.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy yung View Post
Okay, here's my thoughts on the matter at hand: i.e. criticism.

If you want to be a musician you have to get used to it. Remember the line "everyone's a critic" because it is true. I was once on a gig playing percussion with a pop act and in between sets this guy came up to me and complained that I wasn't playing, in his words "Afro Cuban enough!" I had been instructed by the artist not to play conventional latin style percussion. And here I was covering the artist to her satisfaction and then being balled out by some guy who didn't have a gig on that particular Saturday night. I simply said to him "Really?". Collected the cheque and laughed it off.

As we saw here it was only a matter of someone probably not fully awake at the time anyway. He seems a decent sort and so do you. The point is not to let it get to you. You need a thick skin in this business. The sensitive ones don't usually last. At least that's my experience.
Hmmm... I like that story. You're certainly correct about the criticism/sensativity message. My feelings about wack posts hasn't changed... I just realized that I should not say anything at all instead of saying what I did... this is (as you guessed) just a case of being a bit grumpy this morning. My bad... but there's a difference in not knowing something and reading and learning and not knowing something but sharing it anyway, then changing ur mind, then reading something someone else posted and changing your mind again, etc. Like: "Fill your bass 40% with pillows... no no, 10%... no no, 27%". Blind leading blind. It's like when someone asks a question on a forum and someone replies with "Not sure dude... have no clue"... anyway, I'm not trying to be a jerk... I just say what I think inside... unfiltered here.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightill View Post
I just say what I think inside... unfiltered here.
You say what you mean and you mean what you say. I'll have to buy you a beer one day.

And that, my friends, is how one gets a punchy bass drum sound! ;-)
Old 01-26-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
You say what you mean and you mean what you say. I'll have to buy you a beer one day.

And that, my friends, is how one gets a punchy bass drum sound! ;-)
LOL. Yeah, let's return the thread back to the freakin kick drum. =)
Old 01-26-2007, 06:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
LOL. Yeah, let's return the thread back to the freakin kick drum. =)
OK.

I think it's crazy to choke off the sound of the drum by stuffing pillows, blankets and mattresses into it. You might as well be playing a block of wood.

I don't understand why drummers get the brightest, ringiest heads possible, then kill their drum with stuffing to control all the ring. I have a plenty punchy bass drum and I don't put anything into it. I simply have very thick heads (Fiberskyns). This lets the full voice of the drum punch through, but kills ringiness.

www.terrasonus.com
Old 01-26-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
OK.

I think it's crazy to choke off the sound of the drum by stuffing pillows, blankets and mattresses into it. You might as well be playing a block of wood.

I don't understand why drummers get the brightest, ringiest heads possible, then kill their drum with stuffing to control all the ring. I have a plenty punchy bass drum and I don't put anything into it. I simply have very thick heads (Fiberskyns). This lets the full voice of the drum punch through, but kills ringiness.

www.terrasonus.com
I agree... and with that said I have a question. Is it pointless to use your kickdrum's spurs to lift it off the ground to increase resonance and then throw a pillow in it? With a muffling device in your kick, will it sound the same on or off the ground? Just saw a picture of a drummer in a local band a bit ago.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I agree... and with that said I have a question. Is it pointless to use your kickdrum's spurs to lift it off the ground to increase resonance and then throw a pillow in it? With a muffling device in your kick, will it sound the same on or off the ground? Just saw a picture of a drummer in a local band a bit ago.
I think the drum resonates more when lifted off the floor.

I too agree with not using pillows etc. But one likes to leave options. ;-)
Old 01-26-2007, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I would just use the spurs to balance the drum and raise it level. I haven't thought of them as a factor in resonance. If you can get away with it, why have spurs or any other type of hardware bolted to the drum at all?

I have a custom-made 18-inch bass drum and I ordered it without spurs. I use a cradle Velcroed to the hoops to keep it level and to minimize the holes and points of contact with the shell.

www.terrasonus.com
Old 01-27-2007, 01:31 AM
KARL MEMBER

Quote:
Like: "Fill your bass 40% with pillows... no no, 10%... no no, 27%". Blind leading blind.
Sorry that I talk about this again...but I just wanna mention that my replies are never blind. When I filled my Basix bass drum I just noticed that 40% are too much. I post here not what I guess and believe, I post here my experiences and opinions.

I thought that 40% are good and a few month later I just make the experience that 20% for example are much better.

So, to be a nominal (so, having no own opinion) and to be arrogant is something I can not offer. Definitly not.

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:15 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
I think the drum resonates more when lifted off the floor.

I too agree with not using pillows etc. But one likes to leave options. ;-)
I don't know about more resonance, but I think the most important part of getting the bass off the floor is so the beater hits paralell to the head.

I don't use pillows either. I have a hard time getting volume from my right leg so more muffling is a bad idea for me. I usually just use pre-muffled heads like an Evans EQ3 which is what I Have right now. I usually tighten the reso head more than the batter to get a punchy sound, and I want to try using a solid pre-muffled head with a felt strip per side on the edge of the head.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:16 PM

My friends put pillows inside my old kit and tool like at least 60% space. It just gives off a quick "tod". My current kit (22x18 catalina maple) used to sound very boomy which sounded good at first but soon I was looking for more attack. I just retuned the kit, I don't know how... if I lowred the tension or what but now it sounds more balanced (no pillows, no holes). Exeriment with the tuning first. Just wanted to share my experience.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:11 PM
X22

I can tell you're new. Not knowing something but sharing it anyway is the rule of thumb around here.

Quote:
...and not knowing something but sharing it anyway, then changing ur mind, then reading something someone else posted and changing your mind again...
Old 01-28-2007, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X22 View Post
I can tell you're new. Not knowing something but sharing it anyway is the rule of thumb around here.
What? That is absolutely retarded man. Were you the kid in class that raised your hand to say "I don't know"? Great. This is amazing to me.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:58 PM
X22

What don't you understand? I even used your own words. Does this mean you have no idea what you're even talking about? If I type slower or move the words around, will that help?

The... general... rule... of... thumb... is... to... post... when... you... know... nothing...

Thank you for reinforcing my point though.

Quote:
What? That is absolutely retarded man. Were you the kid in class that raised your hand to say "I don't know"? Great. This is amazing to me.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:34 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Well, I'm new to the forum and this will sound bold but... I can't believe they let you even post here Karl. I've read a ton of your posts and you contradict yourself so much and have no clue what your saying. You seem like one of those ppl who just likes to hear himself talk. Reading your posts confuse the crap out of me.

I know Karl pretty well from the forums. he is young, but very very bright.

he is also a German, and from what i have noticed he makes you seem illiterate. Be polite to people, More so the old guard like Karl, he has been here a lot longer, and with your mouth he will be here long after you are gone. Start being nicer to people because as of right now, allot of the people that you should befriends with think you are an ignorant harlequin.

Myspace-Add me!
Old 01-29-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X22 View Post
What don't you understand? I even used your own words. Does this mean you have no idea what you're even talking about? If I type slower or move the words around, will that help?

The... general... rule... of... thumb... is... to... post... when... you... know... nothing...

Thank you for reinforcing my point though.
??? It's fine to post a question when you don't know something... but sort of pointless to post replies/answers about things when you don't know. Who's getting what confused?
Old 01-29-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollymosher View Post
I know Karl pretty well from the forums. he is young, but very very bright.

he is also a German, and from what i have noticed he makes you seem illiterate. Be polite to people, More so the old guard like Karl, he has been here a lot longer, and with your mouth he will be here long after you are gone. Start being nicer to people because as of right now, allot of the people that you should befriends with think you are an ignorant harlequin.
Jollymosher... I'm really not here for the drama... I apologized to Karl early in the post for not keeping my mouth shut when I had something that wasn't polite to say... everything after that I have replied to ppl with comments about it... which I have the right to... being a discussion forum... and you are funny if you think I worry about this before bed or something. I'm just here for the drum talk and to learn... not to find new buddies... and at the same time, not to harass anyone or anger anyone... my original comment was indeed a mistake because it seemed to anger all you dorks... so I'm sorry. Too much drama for me really... if ppl would leave this thread alone now, I wouldn't feel compelled to come back and post and defend myself.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:27 AM

Punchy can be percieved in many ways but one thing it isnt is boomy so some sort of muffling must be used either by syle of the head or use of felt stripes or pillows.

But i do think there's such thing of too much punch where you just choked the kick and when you mic it it just sounds like a drum sample from a cheezy drum machine.. i kid you not but if you are goin for that cheezy pop sound for a song or section of a song (certainly not the whole album, I pray) then its an effect. But in general let the drum be a drum and let it breath. It all depends on what type of sound you want, though. For playing live its no biggie most of the time especially if it miced, if not then yeah don't choke it. Sometimes finding the sound you want can be tough but once you got it, you got it.

I always tend to think of drum sounds from a recording stand point since thats when you r sounds are more critical. Do what works not what looks good. If that means using a hole or even removing the head to get a sound then do it. Have some one hit you kick drum, stand in front of it, move around, analyze the sound. if thats the sound you want then fine if not, try different heads or a different drum.

Right now im sporting the emad and emad reso on my 14x20 kick. Its sounds really good but im I 100% satisfied no. Personally, i think a coated heads would sound better on it since thats the type of heads they put on it back in the day ..the 60s. At this point i'd just rather play then worry about head choice. if i am gonna record i'll pick up another beater and reso head and try different combinations heads and tuning.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Well, I'm new to the forum and this will sound bold but... I can't believe they let you even post here Karl. I've read a ton of your posts and you contradict yourself so much and have no clue what your saying. You seem like one of those ppl who just likes to hear himself talk. Reading your posts confuse the crap out of me.

Well maybe find you confusing dude, have frigging patience. People showed lots patience with your hi-hat set-up problem. I bet smart Karl even contibuted to that topic as well.But seriously act your age not your shoe size.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWfan20005 View Post
Well maybe find you confusing dude, have frigging patience. People showed lots patience with your hi-hat set-up problem. I bet smart Karl even contibuted to that topic as well.But seriously act your age not your shoe size.
"But seriously act your age not your shoe size."

LOL. I haven't heard that one since 4th grade. Good one.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:57 PM

For a really punchy sound I would tune medium- tight with a slightly higher reso head. Port the head with a 4-6" hole around the 5 o' clock position, and use a falam slam patch on the batter side. Muffling depends on your drum, but too much and it'll sound completley dead. Then the biggest thing is for when you're playing out or recording have the sound guy turn up the mids in the kick. Get it sounding good to your ears but don't worry about cutting out most of the boom, because at shows the sound guy is really going to have more control then you realize, so talk to them and have them help you in getting it sounding the way you want through eq's. Thats what Lombardo for slayer does, especially on the newest album, and it works GREAT!