DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-05-2006, 05:13 PM

Default How to get PUNCHY bass?

I play on a Mapex Saturn kit....currently I have a EMAD batter and a Powerstroke 3 (with hole) resonant head, with an EQ Pad...its sounds nice and bassy but I want to get more punch out of it....think Chris Adler and his saturn kit...

How do I have to tune the heads to get that same sound???
Old 07-05-2006, 06:12 PM

Default Re: How to get PUNCHY bass?

Perhaps more dampening, unless u already have a pillow or something in there. Also i always tune the resonant side of the drum higher than the batter, that should help. If these don't work then you may concider a change of head, perhaps pinstripes for the batter side, i think Chris Adler uses Aquarian heads thought i don't know which.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:02 AM
Gold Member

Max my brother,
What I didn't mention to you in the email is what was mentioned above. If your heads are tuned low, front head the same or slightly higher, and you're still getting too much tone, a bit more dampening may help, but with the head combination you mentioned, you should be able to get that kick drum sounding pretty sweet with some minor adjustments.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:07 AM

both of my heads on my kit are as low as possible but the ressonant is a little higher i use the plastic side of my beaters...and people tell me my bass drum sounds like a cannon...

I also have an aquarian kick pad
Old 07-06-2006, 06:34 AM

It is all about the side of the beater you are using!!
Old 07-06-2006, 02:58 PM

My Mapex drum pedal comes with a beater that has 3 sides: wood, felt, and plastic....currently I am using the felt side...should i use the plastic side?
Old 07-06-2006, 03:36 PM

This would definetely increase the attack/punch. It's not very hard to just try all three sides, is it?
Old 07-08-2006, 04:54 AM
Silver Member

I changed my Iron Cobra beaters from felt to rubber and got a HUGE difference in sound and tone. In fact, too much so and I've switched back. I've come to like more tone from my BDs instead of the attack/punch.

I never tried plastic, but I'd guess that would be even punchier.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:08 AM

Try losing the front head completely if you want a lot of punch and nothing else. A lot of studio album are recorded like this. Also, use the plastic side of the beater, but beware..this will definately cause the head to wear faster....
Old 07-08-2006, 05:43 AM

i am switching to big wood beaters..hopefully it will give it some extra kick..
Old 07-08-2006, 06:36 PM

Put a pillow inside. Thats what Adler does.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:52 PM

You could also try EMAD Resonant head.Emad Batter + Emad Resonant = Much Punch!
Old 07-09-2006, 06:15 PM
Stu_Strib

Try a small pillow touching both heads. It deadens the ring and gives it more of a thump sound and less of a boom sound.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:05 PM

Yes.. the EMAD Did wonders for me.. It turned my 90's export select bass drum into a Professional sounding Thump. I cover my resonent head on my bass drum 15% with a evens drum pillow.. and it seems to be perfect for me.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:56 AM

I have an 18" bass drum, which gives me less "boom" as it is, but I also use an Aquarian Powerkick 1 (single ply) batter head, a Remo Falaam slam kickpad, a stock Tama (unported) resonant head and a Tama wooden beater with no muffling whatsoever. I get more of a sharper "click" sound with little resonance. If we are playing in a larger venue, I will put on a Evans G2 ported (ebony) resonant head for mic'ing, but it doesn't detract from the nice "punchy" sound that I prefer from my bass drum.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:15 PM

I'm curious to know what your definition of punchy is maximusppl. Some drummers definitions vary. Could you explain or give an example?
Old 07-15-2006, 04:29 PM
KARL MEMBER

Try to cut a hole wich is around 8-10" big. Put a pillow into your bass drum wich fills around 30%-40% of the bass drum. Pay attention that the pillow touches the batter and the resonant head!
then tune your batter head and your reso soooo low pitched that it makes a "brr" sound if you play it. then pitch it up A BIT (so that it doesn`t make this "brrr" sound anymore)
then you should have this punchy sound...

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:19 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalRaZ
I'm curious to know what your definition of punchy is maximusppl. Some drummers definitions vary. Could you explain or give an example?
he did: "think Chris Adler and his saturn kit..."
Old 07-15-2006, 07:23 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt986
Try losing the front head completely if you want a lot of punch and nothing else. A lot of studio album are recorded like this. Also, use the plastic side of the beater, but beware..this will definately cause the head to wear faster....
you can get a falam slam pad from remo and they go on the bass drum head where you hit it and they will make the head last a lot longer, plus it will give it the extra punchy sound you're looking for
Old 07-15-2006, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Karl
Try to cut a hole wich is around 8-10" big. Put a pillow into your bass drum wich fills around 30%-40% of the bass drum. Pay attention that the pillow touches the batter and the resonant head!
then tune your batter head and your reso soooo low pitched that it makes a "brr" sound if you play it. then pitch it up A BIT (so that it doesn`t make this "brrr" sound anymore)

Karl
You really should not cut a hole over 6 inches.... it starts to sound like cardboard.. Same with putting pillows in it.. Dont over do it.. covering the heads 15% is about as much as you want.. Unless you like that cardboard sound.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofriendlyunitshifter
he did: "think Chris Adler and his saturn kit..."
Ha... thanks dude. Funny I missed that! *stoooooopid*

Well... everything has been said that I could come up with.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:06 AM
KARL MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdoubleE
You really should not cut a hole over 6 inches.... it starts to sound like cardboard.. Same with putting pillows in it.. Dont over do it.. covering the heads 15% is about as much as you want.. Unless you like that cardboard sound.
yeah, he can experiment with the pillow...but for this situation I like bigger holes...no cardboard sound, we made a very big hole into the 22" in the music school, sounds VERY punchy. but very pleasing, too!

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:25 PM

you could always get an evans retro screen for reso? that provides no resonance...my resonance head got ripped up (stock one) so i removed it completely, and i have blankets in my bass drum and it sounds soooo punchy, i love it....so i think the retro screen would give the same effect...i have evans eq3 for batter right now
Old 08-16-2006, 02:51 PM
Silver Member

Keep in mind that any hole in the kick reso head bigger that 7" is the same as not having any reso head at all...
Old 08-22-2006, 04:52 PM
fusssion

Aquarian Super Kick II w/ a Falam Slam pad, .....cut an 8 - 10" hole in the reso side...NO MUFFLING!

It's all you need.......no fuss! :)
Old 08-22-2006, 06:38 PM

yeah man, crank your reso head... itll make it go POW

LOL
Old 08-25-2006, 01:31 AM

yeah tight reso head all the way & no muffling!..check out this bonzo tuning video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDxoGmyrwDg
Old 01-25-2007, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Karl View Post

Karl
????????????????? (wow)
Old 01-25-2007, 08:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximusppl View Post
I play on a Mapex Saturn kit....currently I have a EMAD batter and a Powerstroke 3 (with hole) resonant head, with an EQ Pad...its sounds nice and bassy but I want to get more punch out of it....think Chris Adler and his saturn kit...

How do I have to tune the heads to get that same sound???

Over the years I've used many kinds of bass drums, from concert bass drums to rope tuned south American bass drum. One thing I have learned is that the sound I desired was always achieved through tuning. When I have wanted a brighter, punchier tone, I have tuned the drums to a higher pitch. Usually keeping the tension equal on both the batter and resonant heads.

As for the heads, I think that we have a great deal of choice today and even though this is great, it can turn us from the basics. Such as tuning. Were I you I would tune the resonant head first to a higher pitch than what I've been using. Once I have a bright, clear and even tone, I'd then tune the batter in the same way.

Muffling is something that you will need to experiment with. I would begin without muffling and try to get the desired tone from the drum first. If then I needed muffling I'd probably begin with a folded towel against the batter. I may also use a wooden beater. If the folded towel failed, I might use some foam in the bottom of the drum, or perhaps one of those plastic rings made by Remo that hold a circle of foam against the outer ring of the head.

The best method as far as I have been able to tell over the years is experimentation. Just try different tunings until you discover the sound you like. You may also discover different tonalities along the way that you can use at a later time. If you begin to enjoy tuning, you may end up like myself and find yourself adding entire pieces of fabric or naugahyde over the batter head. When I began doing this, I would lay the fabric across the head before putting the hoop on. Then I would cut around the hoop, leaving enough so as to secure it down with the tension rods while making sure the fabric was evenly spread across the head held down by the hoop. This gives you a really nice muffled tone that can work very well in some circumstances. I've used it on a few recordings when people wanted a really warm, natural tone. It's great fun experimenting like this.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:51 PM
KARL MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightill View Post
????????????????? (wow)

huuuh? =) what do you mean?

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:29 PM
KARL MEMBER

Okay, here is my personal update:

Since I wrote my first suggestion about a punchy bass I experimented and was told much. I also got my Basix and tuned it punchy (playing with it in a rock band mostly). So this is also an experience for a Jazz drummer...lol

Heads: Take whatever you want. For the punchy sound you don`t always need Powerstroke or EMAD. I made the experience that a normal muffled single-ply head can sound much more punchy sometimes than a powerstroke for example. So there are no rules! Try some heads out and take what you like most. At the moment I play a Powerstroke 3 as batter head on my Basix. It is tuned very low and it sounds "medium punchy" for smaller gigs and versatile projects.
I also still have this stock single-ply head by Remo UK. It`s the batter head which is most versatile in my opinion and I heard and really felt that it is also the most punchy head. Don`t know, it just amazing. Perfect for bigger and louder gigs.
Honestly I always thought that Powerstroke & Co make the punchiest sound...but I was wrong. With the following things also a single-ply head sounds killer.
As for the reso head I don`t refer any special heads, just a normal single-ply (normal muffled).

The hole: Very important part...so in my last post I said that an 8" or 10" hole would be good...lately I saw and heard that the hole shouldn`t be too big. But in my opinion also not too small. If I cut a hole in my Basix bass drum reso head I`ll do it not so big, maybe 6" or 7". It`s also about the size of the bass drum. For a 20" (like mine) I would dislike a 9" hole for example. For a 22" maybe yes.
Overall you can notice that we can bash each other (especially about the hole topic) the whole day. For me it is a personal thing.

Pillow & Co: Kinda neccesary for me. I always get a long "brrrr" sound when tuning it so low. So a little blanket or a small pillow which touches the heads is good for sound. Gives even more punch. Also about this little topic I made my experiences. Sometimes you just need a simple small pillow...lol I`d fill about 20% of my bass drum...I am honest: 40% are just a bit too much.

Overall I find it amazing how versatile a bass drum is. On the one hand I listen to so many Jazz drummers whose bass drum sound like a note and on the other hand I listen to many funk/rock drummers whose bass drum sounds either like an unreal punch or like a sound what is in between those two.

These are my suggestions and it`s my personal point of view about that topic...

Karl =)

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:44 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximusppl View Post
My Mapex drum pedal comes with a beater that has 3 sides: wood, felt, and plastic....currently I am using the felt side...should i use the plastic side?

Yes, and here is the twenty minimum.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=drummermikemccraw
Old 01-26-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
huuuh? =) what do you mean?

Karl
Well, I'm new to the forum and this will sound bold but... I can't believe they let you even post here Karl. I've read a ton of your posts and you contradict yourself so much and have no clue what your saying. You seem like one of those ppl who just likes to hear himself talk. Reading your posts confuse the crap out of me.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:53 PM
KARL MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightill View Post
You seem like one of those ppl who just likes to hear himself talk.
Actually not...and I never want to be one of those people.
And that point with contradicting...well, I`m 15, every day, and I promise, every day I make so many new experiences, the same was with that thread. Don`t wanna use my age as an excuse but what should I do?? Delete my old posts?
lol, read some posts of me a year ago and compare them with some new posts of me. Just in the my gear topic you`ll find many contradicting things (e.g. one year ago I didn`t like one finishes so much but now I compliment those finishes because I love it. Or a year ago personally my favourite Ride cymbal I really loved for Jazz was the AAX Stage Ride, now I go for other things because I find that AAX Stage Ride sound too "sythetic".)

And your sentence "You seem like one of those ppl who just likes to hear himself talk.": I can just take this statement as insulting because particulary those people I don`t like.

er....and why should one ban me because I change my opinions over the months and I make new experiences every minute I play drums?

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Actually not...and I never want to be one of those people.
And that point with contradicting...well, I`m 15, every day, and I promise, every day I make so many new experiences, the same was with that thread. Don`t wanna use my age as an excuse but what should I do?? Delete my old posts?
lol, read some posts of me a year ago and compare them with some new posts of me. Just in the my gear topic you`ll find many contradicting things (e.g. one year ago I didn`t like one finishes so much but now I compliment those finishes because I love it. Or a year ago personally my favourite Ride cymbal I really loved for Jazz was the AAX Stage Ride, now I go for other things because I find that AAX Stage Ride sound too "sythetic".)

And your sentence "You seem like one of those ppl who just likes to hear himself talk.": I can just take this statement as insulting because particulary those people I don`t like.

er....and why should one ban me because I change my opinions over the months and I make new experiences every minute I play drums?

Karl
Karl,

I applaud your very clear and mature way of explaining your self. I beg you to keep that open mind that allows you to take your experiences and build upon your knowledge and opinions.

Opinions should have room to grow or change as we gain more knowledge and experiences in life and in music. The only thing that is constant is change.

Cheers!!
Old 01-26-2007, 05:36 PM
KARL MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvsmb View Post
Karl,

I applaud your very clear and mature way of explaining your self. I beg you to keep that open mind that allows you to take your experiences and build upon your knowledge and opinions.

Opinions should have room to grow or change as we gain more knowledge and experiences in life and in music. The only thing that is constant is change.

Cheers!!
thanks.

Anyway, it really hurts that I look like a person here who just likes to hear his own voice, that I seem arrogant for people here and without "a clue" <--- quote. Because as I said, I don`t like people much who are like this...
I`m always open for other`s opinions and never wanna get insulting. If I did this, I`d automatically throw myself on a very low level. (I learned that previous thing also through the forum). Id never write something like: "Hey, whats your problem you *******, I`m the best and you know nothing, ****!" Sorry, was just a hard example. lol

I`m sorry if I seem strange or arrogant through my posts, actually I`m the opposite. or if I seem to contradict myself but I`m nothing but a human who also changes his opinion, especially in this age. Well, and I love this place and post day for day here (just because I wanna learn and talk in a constructive way, not because of my post count!!!) so the people can just read very well when/that I change my opinion.

I have to say that I like critism and also pick it up...IF it is constructive and not destructive.

and I remember this sentence of my father: "If you have friends, you also have comrade-in-arms."
Never fight against them, accept them and their critism. That is my point of view.

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:41 PM

Word, Karl. Mature response indeed. I'm just here to learn more like every one else... but some ppl think something and don't say it... I just say it... so my banter can be harsh sometimes... I really dig ur response though and apologize for being an ass this morning. =)
Old 01-26-2007, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member

We all get out of the wrong side of the bed at one time or another. We're only human.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:49 PM
KARL MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvsmb View Post
Karl,

Cheers!!
thanks. =)

Anyway, it really hurts that I look like a person here who just likes to hear his own voice, that I seem arrogant for people here and without "a clue" <--- quote. Because as I said, I don`t like people much who are like this...
I`m always open for other`s opinions and never wanna get insulting. If I did this, I`d automatically throw myself on a very low level. (I learned that previous thing also through the forum). Id never write something like: "Hey, whats your problem you *******, I`m the best and you know nothing, ****!" Sorry, was just a hard example. lol

I`m sorry if I seem strange or arrogant through my posts, actually I`m the opposite. or if I seem to contradict myself but I`m nothing but a human who also changes his opinion, especially in this age. Well, and I love this place and post day for day here (just because I wanna learn and talk in a constructive way, not because of my post count!!!) so the people can just read very well when/that I change my opinion.

I have to say that I like critism and also pick it up...IF it is constructive and not destructive.

and I remember this sentence of my father: "If you have friends, you also have comrade-in-arms."
Never fight against them, accept them and their critism. That is my point of view.

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:52 PM
KARL MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy yung View Post
We all get out of the wrong side of the bed at one time or another. We're only human.

Well...that is right indeed!

No fear...I won`t come to Chicago and stalk you with a pink bunny costume. ;-)
Its okay.

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.