DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 06-21-2006, 04:06 AM

Default Re: Ian Paice

[quote=dawg]jay was that snaremaster or staremaster,stairmaster or....uh,never mind![/QUOTE

No I don't mind at all dawg! In fact it's an excellent question! I believe he invented some of his most complex music whilst playing the snare on the actual stairmaster after walking a flight of stairs with his snare........ therefore... Snaremaster. Can anyone else corroborate this? Oh ok.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:48 PM

When I was growing up and learning drums, if someone asked what influences I had, I'd always respond with many of the greats for the day - Bruford, Palmer, Bonham, Moon, etc - but for some reason Ian Paice never got mentioned, even though every time I heard him, his playing just blew me away. I wish I would have paid more attention to him back then - one of the greats, no doubt...
Old 07-01-2006, 02:21 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKbKE...ch=ian%20paice
Old 07-01-2006, 02:46 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Joe
Yeah I have this show on video tape at home. It's called Scandinavian Nights, great show but terrible sound quality. It's a pity there's not more live shows video archive in this glory time of Deep Purple.
Ian Paice playing has some hypnotizing power energy!!

https://soundcloud.com/#sitas-master
Old 07-15-2006, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchein Vouivra
Yeah I have this show on video tape at home. It's called Scandinavian Nights, great show but terrible sound quality. It's a pity there's not more live shows video archive in this glory time of Deep Purple.
Ian Paice playing has some hypnotizing power energy!!
You can get the Scandinavian Nights concert on cd and the quality should be much better than the version you have on video. And there's some great new dvd's of Purple featuring live performances from 1970, 71, 72 and 73.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:08 PM

What I admire most about his playing is how freakin' clean it is. He NEVER sounds like he's trying and it all fits the songs great.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:18 PM
Platinum Member

he is one of my favorite drummers totally underrated him and Bonham correct me if i'm wrong came from the same part of England there must be something in the water overthere
i've seen Deep Purple several times but the best time I saw them was about ten years ago and my friends and I sat behind the stage for about 8 songs until the management showed up seeing Ian work his magic from behind the kit is one of my coolest memories.
never a ok show always incredible.too bad Jon Lord doesn't. tour with them anymore he'll always be my favorite Rock keyboardest.But thats another thread altogether.

Keep Swatting IAN

Bonzolead
Old 10-12-2006, 01:29 PM

I'm currently playing in a Deep Purple tribute band & am a massive fan of Ian Paice!

One song not mentioned so far is 'Lay down stay down' from the Burn album, it's the most difficult of the tunes I've had to learn as yet (including Burn, Fireball, Lazy etc), the fills under the verses are almost all different & extremely well played by Ian & I toyed with the idea of refusing to play it for the 1st week or so of rehearsals. The Groove on 'You Fool No one' from that LP is also woth mentioning.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:32 PM

Well, I wish I could find some transcriptions of his fabulous chops

John
Old 10-27-2006, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamStew
Ian's work in You Fool No One is great! The way he uses the bell and even the stopped crash, amazing. Then the base drum pattern in Fireball (WITHOUT a double bass pedal!) is the whole insanity! And then his awesome solo in The Mule. Just listen and enjoy it! I find no words to describe it!

All in all Ian Paice is one of the greatest hard rock drummer ever. He has got such a great timing and feeling (his shuffle feeling is AWESOME!) like only a few other drummers have.
Ian Paice is one of my largest influences (beside Neil Peart, John Bonham and Rodney Holmes). He's the ultimte mixing of speed, accuracy and feeling.

I'm a HUGE Ian Paice fan. But... "Fireball" is played with two bassdrums: If you get the video "Scandinavien Nights" from 1972, they do "Fireball" as an extra, an they simply bring in a second bassdrum on stage, for just that particular song! It still rocks though...

The thing i really love about him is:

(01) He has a feeling (that swing feel!) that makes him recognizable when you hear it...
(02) He has a sound that is recognizable when you hear it...
(03) His solos are so musical, almost melodic... I think the solo on "Made in Japan" is HIS best ever recorded solo... I don't know if it's because I grew up with that solo, but I still think it's one of the greatest solos ever...
Old 10-27-2006, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz
I usually listen to everything, but when a classic rock band like Deep Purple comes on I'll shun it off, thinking "Eh.......smoke on the water.......corny.
Corny? It never struck me a corny. It's a song that tells a story of an incident that really happened. There was a venue in Europe, was it Amsterdam? I don't remember, but the venue was actually burned to the ground after "some stupid" idiot shot off a flare gun in the middle of a concert..I believe it was the Mothers Of Invention. The band helped get people out of there but lost all their equipment. If I have the story right Deep Purple provided the Mothers with gear so they could continue their tour. Do I have this right or was it Deep Purple who lost the gear and the Mothers who helped? Musically I find the best way to enjoy the song is to listen to what Paice is doing.
Somebody tell the story correctly please.
Matt
Old 10-27-2006, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhavart
Well, I wish I could find some transcriptions of his fabulous chops

John
Just listen to the tunes,play drums from the heart not a testbook.

Bonzolead
Old 10-27-2006, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemat
Corny? It never struck me a corny. It's a song that tells a story of an incident that really happened. There was a venue in Europe, was it Amsterdam? I don't remember, but the venue was actually burned to the ground after "some stupid" idiot shot off a flare gun in the middle of a concert..I believe it was the Mothers Of Invention. The band helped get people out of there but lost all their equipment. If I have the story right Deep Purple provided the Mothers with gear so they could continue their tour. Do I have this right or was it Deep Purple who lost the gear and the Mothers who helped? Musically I find the best way to enjoy the song is to listen to what Paice is doing.
Somebody tell the story correctly please.
Matt
"We all came out to montreux
On the lake geneva shoreline
To make records with a mobile
We didnt have much time"
They're referring to when they were setting up to record an album on the Stones' Mobile Studio in Montreux, Switzerland. Bernhard might be able to provide more details on this ;)
Old 01-07-2007, 07:40 PM
Pioneer Member

I found this on youtube..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmnnyDPEMhU
Got to love ian sense of groove and feel..
Old 01-09-2007, 12:42 AM

As a huge Ian Paice fan since the release of In Rock I finally had the immense pleasure of playing the Swedish rock festival in 99 on the Purple bill and, for the first time, seeing him play live from 10 feet away. I felt like a sixteen year old fan again and even got a pair of autographed sticks from him. I'm not easily impressed but that was 90 minutes I'll never forget.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pywacket View Post
As a huge Ian Paice fan since the release of In Rock I finally had the immense pleasure of playing the Swedish rock festival in 99 on the Purple bill and, for the first time, seeing him play live from 10 feet away. I felt like a sixteen year old fan again and even got a pair of autographed sticks from him. I'm not easily impressed but that was 90 minutes I'll never forget.
Great:) i too had this pleasue recently. My band Roadstar Opened for Deep Purple last summer at the UKs Monsters of Rock festival..
i was lucky enough to hang out with Ian Paice for a while, hes one of the greats and also happens to be a very friendly guy:)
Old 01-11-2007, 12:39 AM

..on that subject, i couldnt resist shearing a few more pics with you from the day

ERIC SINGER..

(thats Roadstar managers sons with Eric..)

.me and my bass playin brother!...lol..

AND FINALLY , ONE FROM ALICE HAHA!
Old 01-26-2007, 04:49 PM

Great drummer from a great band. and an amazing technique.
i saw purple last year in Brussel and they still rock.
Btw his fills are always right, not too much, not too little and perfectly timed.

Paice has been a major influence to Lars Ulrich too you know.

|| Mosquito ||
Old 01-26-2007, 06:47 PM
Banned

I really enjoyed reading this thread. I remember being a very young boy (about 35 years ago) and playing drums along to Deep Purple with pencils on a lounge chair. He was the first drummer I ever mimiced. I am so pleased to see that he is back in the public eye and that young drummers are discovering the beauty of his playing.

And a big thanks to Chrisroadstar for taking the time to share those great pic's.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mook View Post
I'm currently playing in a Deep Purple tribute band & am a massive fan of Ian Paice!

One song not mentioned so far is 'Lay down stay down' from the Burn album, it's the most difficult of the tunes I've had to learn as yet (including Burn, Fireball, Lazy etc), the fills under the verses are almost all different & extremely well played by Ian & I toyed with the idea of refusing to play it for the 1st week or so of rehearsals. The Groove on 'You Fool No one' from that LP is also woth mentioning.
"You Fool No one" definitely has an awesome groove but the live versions are what you really want to hear! They're louder, heavier and faster....

There is a very cool version of "You Fool No one" on the California Jam DVD from 1974 in front of 200,000 people.

But a real treat is the live version from "Made in Europe" in 1975... It's a much better recording than the California Jam version and is so much clearer and the drums sound so powerful and hard... It's amazing!
Old 04-03-2007, 06:14 AM

Ian Paice is awesome. One reason cause he is left handed like me and i play kind of like he does
Old 04-07-2007, 06:52 PM

" Paice has been a major influence to Lars Ulrich too you know. "

If you have ever read Lars Ulrich's history you would no that unlike most other story's where they say thanks i wouldn't be her if it wasn't for _______ . Lars Means it, if there was no Ian Paice = No Metallica . Lars was a tennis prodigy until his father was given tickets to see deep purple in 1970 after seeing the show Lars quit tennis and got a drum kit. Of coarse anyone that knows Metallica history can tell you. It is all because of Lars. He got a spot on a record before he was in a bad then Found James ( Who brought A Bass player ) Then found Dave. Then Cliff. So in short Thank you Ian for giving me not only your sweet music but also for giving me Metallica.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:23 PM

Does anyone know about a solo dvd that Ian was working on? The Deep Purple web site http://www.deep-purple.com/band/?paice mentions it on his bio page, but no further info.

Anyone have it?
Old 06-10-2007, 07:34 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmeris View Post
Does anyone know about a solo dvd that Ian was working on? The Deep Purple web site http://www.deep-purple.com/band/?paice mentions it on his bio page, but no further info.

Anyone have it?
It is called Ian Paice - on the drums/not for the pro`s.. It is a dvd featuring playing, kit update, live takes etc.. I ordered mine yesterday, I cant wait!
here`s a link with some info about the dvd.. Hope it helped..
http://www.deep-purple.net/review-fi...d/paicedvd.htm
Old 06-14-2007, 02:22 AM

he is an awesome drummer and he's got much respect in my eyes even if im not a huge fan. but as i am playing with 2 friends this song i was really curius if the verse part ian is playing along with notes or he just thinks it that moment ?? right now im playing it keeping time but soloing over it ... im affraid if im wrong. please help me
Old 06-14-2007, 03:28 PM

amazing drummer... my first inspiration...

he plays in with bit of a nervy spontaneousness with that professional confidence in his general image...

I realize that left handed drummers have something unusual in their way of drumming...
I'm left handed too!!!! lol!!
Old 06-21-2007, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wegadrummer View Post
It is called Ian Paice - on the drums/not for the pro`s.. It is a dvd featuring playing, kit update, live takes etc.. I ordered mine yesterday, I cant wait!
here`s a link with some info about the dvd.. Hope it helped..
http://www.deep-purple.net/review-fi...d/paicedvd.htm
Did you get Not for the Pros, which is listed as an NTSC version or did you get On the drums which is listed as a PAL version and how do you like it/quality/ etc.

Sounds like the web site review that the PAL version is more up to date but i dodnt know if it will play in my sony DVD player
Old 06-22-2007, 07:10 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmeris View Post
Did you get Not for the Pros, which is listed as an NTSC version or did you get On the drums which is listed as a PAL version and how do you like it/quality/ etc.

Sounds like the web site review that the PAL version is more up to date but i dodnt know if it will play in my sony DVD player
I got not for the pro`s.. I think it had good quality, both sound and pictures.. I can play it on my dvdplayer, computer and xbox360..
I is a good drum dvd, If you a REALLY into Ian Paice style.. There are some good playing, and ALOT of talkning about how his drums are made, cymbals etc.. The cool think I liked was a "roadie view" section where you can se Ian play some songs live with a the camera on the side of him..
Old 01-29-2008, 09:01 PM

I saw Deep Purple with ELP and Dream Theater in the late nineties. I have been a die-hard DT fan since 1990 but I must say Deep Purple stole the show that night. Ian kicks @ss. I even got to meet Steve Morse the next morning in the hotel lobby!!! (he jokingly asked if I was the I.R.S.)
Old 01-29-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intooder View Post
My favorite drummer and the reason I drum. In addition to all the above, another must have is the Fireball 25th Anniversary Edition album. "Slow Train" is one of my favorite tracks on there.
Seconded. The '1st take' of Fireball is a bit of a 'work in progress', but there's still some jaw dropping fills in it.

Have you heard In Rock 25th Anniversary? The outtake of Speed King when he smashes one of the drums mics.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:09 PM

Ian Paice is amazing. I love his playing with deep purple. He is one of my idols aslo because he is one of the first to use a left-handed drum set. Thats how i reolized that i could play with my kit like him since im left-handed. I say he is the buddy rich of rock because he is strong on the snare. Thats what i think.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeellis View Post
Seconded. The '1st take' of Fireball is a bit of a 'work in progress', but there's still some jaw dropping fills in it.

Have you heard In Rock 25th Anniversary? The outtake of Speed King when he smashes one of the drums mics.
Ian's fills have amazed me since I first got into DP (about 20 years ago). That take of Fireball is a fine example of his virtousity and real-time syncopation skills.

I don't own that edition of "In Rock" but I'm tempted to go get a copy immediately - yummy...
Old 02-08-2008, 07:19 PM
Platinum Member

Ian is a really nice guy and one of the greats for sure!
He was nice enough to talk about his foot technique on that old Mule solo where it goes from slow singles to real fast too.

His feel on the kit is real smooth and a lot lighter than he looks like he's playing (and what it sounds like).
To me, he's like the Joe Morello of rock.

He used one pair of sticks for the whole show, which say's something about having good technique.
His speed and power are still there that's for sure.

I have the "Not for the Pro's" DVD and I really like it.

I'd recommend it to any Ian fan, it's worth the money.

The DVD's of Ian with Chad Smith are cool too.

Here are a few pics I took last summer.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:55 PM

Great pics Karl. Thanks for posting them. My thoughts exactly on the DVD. His teaching style is really laid back and he covers some fundamentals (although not too intricate) that are the foundation for rock drumming.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:42 AM

Does anyone know if Ian was playing Pearls for the Perfect Strangers album? Has he always used a 14x6.5?

I love the sound of his snare on Machine Head album...I'm guessing it's the mighty Supraphonic.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:22 PM

Some time ago, I was told that Ian still uses his old Ludwigs for recording. Naturally this was NOT from Ian himself so I can't be 100% sure if that is the case.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:09 AM

What's the difference between the two DVDs?

Ian Paice: On the Drums (I've got that) & Ian Paice: Not for Pros. (Thinking of getting).

Anyone seen both? (Karl.......Nice pics)
Old 02-20-2008, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member

I don't have the On The Drums, but I have Not For The Pro's.

NFTP's is worth the money, and it's not a "one watch, put it away for a year till you forget about it and have nothing else to do before you put it on again" DVD.

The MD Chad/Ian, and the London Drum Co. Ian/Chad DVD's are pretty good too.
They are kind of the same, but there's enough differences (for me at least) to justify buying both.

BTW, if you get the London drum DVD, my friend is Ian's tech, and the section where they go through Ian's kit is a joke, and he really can pronounce "Paiste" and does know drums...even though it's not apparent. It's a very funny section to me though.

He was Bun E. Carlos' tech some years ago when we first met.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:28 AM

I've got the Chad/Ian DVD & On the Drums which I'm happy with. On the Drums includes a factory tour etc. so sounds as if it overlaps the Not for the Pros I think I stick with just the two that I already have.

Thanks a lot Karl.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:34 AM

On the Ian Paice DVD "On the Drums" the introduction says IP played with Joe Satriani.

Was this recorded?
Is it on disc?
Anyone know?