DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-16-2015, 09:21 PM
Leftie117 Leftie117 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 27
Default Why the hate? (Lars Ulrich)

Okay, here we go internet. How and why is Lars a "terrible" drummer? What could he do differently that would make him better? I just keep reading comments on drum videos, and every top-rated comment is "Betar then thtat **** Ulrich!!!". I am curious on whether he actually deserves so much hate, or if the internet is just being, well, the internet.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-16-2015, 09:33 PM
KamaK KamaK is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,908
Default Re: Why the hate? (Lars Ulrich)

I've always found him to be a decent drummer, and has improved over the course of his career to be a great drummer. He's definitely put some work into his craft and he's reaping the benefits. People who insist he's terrible are just jelly doughnuts.

On the flip side, interviews during the Sandman era onward portrayed him to be a complete douche. While I understand that media can make us believe anything they want.... The members of that band have some issues.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-16-2015, 09:36 PM
Matt Bo Eder's Avatar
Matt Bo Eder Matt Bo Eder is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Disneyland, CA
Posts: 992
Default Re: Why the hate? (Lars Ulrich)

Good thing he's not the drummer for Rush or The Beatles. The public scathing would be much worse.
__________________
YouTube channel: youtube.com/user/boeder101
Photoblog: mattederblog.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-16-2015, 09:48 PM
Patz Patz is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 73
Default Re: Why the hate? (Lars Ulrich)

he's good and he was pretty influential. however, as my brother put it, his drumming in the past 15 years is just..uninspired. he's just keeping time. death magnetic was a little better, but overall he isn't doing anything special.

i will say though, he really expends energy at that kit. at his age that's pretty impressive.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-16-2015, 10:26 PM
gdmoore28's Avatar
gdmoore28 gdmoore28 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 263
Default Re: Why the hate? (Lars Ulrich)

Drummers play to the music while driving the band. There's not a lot more Ulrich could do with Metallica's writing style that would not begin to detract from the music. Same with Peart.

GeeDeeEmm
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-16-2015, 10:33 PM
WhoIsTony?'s Avatar
WhoIsTony? WhoIsTony? is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the city that never sleeps
Posts: 67
Default Re: Why the hate? (Lars Ulrich)

I've never hated on Lars

Metallica was an enormous inspiration to me in the 80s and early 90s .... not really Lars as much in particular .... but the bands music ... so Lars indirectly for sure ....

I think Master of Puppets is a damn masterpiece and throw it on from time to time to this day

after Cliff passed I sort of lost touch with the band a bit but continued to buy their records until they started playing Bob Seger songs

no disrespect to Bob Seger... I like him just fine .... but I like Metallica to sound like the Metallica I grew up on .... I guess I'm selfish that way
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-16-2015, 10:42 PM
Matt Bo Eder's Avatar
Matt Bo Eder Matt Bo Eder is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Disneyland, CA
Posts: 992
Default Re: Why the hate? (Lars Ulrich)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsTony? View Post
.... but I like Metallica to sound like the Metallica I grew up on .... I guess I'm selfish that way
Some people would say they preferred Bruce Jenner when he was a badass Olympian too ;)
__________________
YouTube channel: youtube.com/user/boeder101
Photoblog: mattederblog.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-16-2015, 11:18 PM
Jankowske's Avatar
Jankowske Jankowske is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 422
Default Re: Why the hate? (Lars Ulrich)

If he wan't one of the richest drummers out there and he didn't come off as an asshole...then some people would still find reasons to hate him.
__________________
100% pure Jank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankowske View Post
I am the best drummer in the world.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-16-2015, 11:22 PM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 10,202
Default Re: Why the hate? (Lars Ulrich)

I think it's because he doesn't play like he did on those first three albums. Couldn't get further from it at times. He's become progressively more minimalist over the course of their career.....often to the point of laziness that seems to imply a lack of former ability. It's a point that hasn't been lost on his peers either. When you have a contemporary like Dave Lombardo offering to give him a few lessons to remind him "of how it's done" then I guess it's no surprise that he's being considered a far cry from the levels of excitement, creativity and pioneering that he once was.

The chopping and splicing of his drum parts in the studio doesn't seem to help his "street cred" any either. The Lombardo's and Benante's of the world can still pull off all their old licks.....and then some. I guess the general feeling is why can't Lars?

Still back in the mid eighties, to a young teen growing up in Melbourne Australia, those three guys were considered pioneers of their craft. We absolutely loved 'em. In Lars' case, it's been such a shame to see that reputation diminished to the level it has been. I'm still a fan.....always will be. But I can at least understand where some of the accusations stem from.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-17-2015, 12:09 AM
WhoIsTony?'s Avatar
WhoIsTony? WhoIsTony? is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the city that never sleeps
Posts: 67
Default Re: Why the hate? (Lars Ulrich)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
Some people would say they preferred Bruce Jenner when he was a badass Olympian too ;)
same deal I guess
........................
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-17-2015, 12:26 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 10,202
Default Re: Why the hate? (Lars Ulrich)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsTony? View Post
same deal I guess
........................
Lars is now wearing a dress?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-17-2015, 12:50 AM
Defender's Avatar
Defender Defender is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 325
Default Re: Why the hate? (Lars Ulrich)

I think the hate for Lars is two-fold and neither has anything to do with his drumming ability.

1) Like was stated above, Lars has somehow always came off as a completely, arrogant, self centered moron whenever he seems to open his mouth.

2) Lars was and still is a key player against music piracy and for a lot of people it just burns into their skulls exactly how you can be complaining about something when you literally have millions of dollars. Even though he's totally in his right, he just comes off as super greedy to the average person when the subject of piracy comes up.

And that's just my 2 cents. But I really think those 2 things are why some people don't like him. In my opinion, his drumming fits in exceptionally well with the music he's playing. He plays enough to keep drummers interested, but not enough to be overbearing to the music itself.

Peace, Defender
__________________
See my PDP Concept Maple at http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...d.php?t=117040
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-17-2015, 01:05 AM
bud7h4 bud7h4 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 219
Default Re: Why the hate? (Lars Ulrich)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Lars is now wearing a dress?
Metaphorically, yes. He started wearing that on the black album.

Then there's the internet. Have you seen him solo? Thanks to the web, so have millions of others. He's aweful considering his fame and legend status.

His drumming was, however, very good in the studio and in playing the songs live. I love how he would place accents on the crashes in unexpected places, and I would point to him without a second thought when asked who influenced me to do that.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-17-2015, 01:43 AM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 14,883
Default Re: Why the hate? (Lars Ulrich)

I think any hate you hear is an inner reflection of the person doing the hating. Lars has nothing to do with it, he is just a reason to spout hate.

When people hate you, you're doing something right.

I wonder if these haters would spew hate right to Lars face?
__________________
The best way to do art, is to dispense with good and bad...and just get on with it.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-17-2015, 02:11 AM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,218
Default Re: Why the hate? (Lars Ulrich)

Lars is a major influence on all metal drumming. I'd wager 99% of the drummers who put down Lars were directly or indirectly influenced by him.

The issue with Lars is historical context.

It's like a car that was state of the art in the 1930's, but that same car can't keep up with a even a mediocre standard production car of today.


In the 80's, Lars was doing things on drums few to no one was doing in a context where it was reaching people. His influence on young drummers was huge.

But as the 90's went on, millions of kids who grew up on Lars took everything Lars did, leaned how to do it, and then learned how to improve upon it, and took to new heights.

Lars himself went in opposite direction, got lazy, stopped practicing, and got to the point where he struggles to play his own parts.

There was a time that if you could play "One" on double bass, people looked up to you as having reached milestone in double bass drumming. Now double bass has so progressed that kids are born knowing how to play "One" and it's simple by todays standards.

Made worse that Lars so rarely practices (and readily admits it) that in concert, he can barely play "One" without sounding very sloppy.

Kids who weren't around in the 80's to understand the historical context see clips of Lars struggling to get through songs, then compare it to someone like George Kollias, Derek Roddy, or Thomas Haake, and Lars looks silly.

And even more so compared to someone like Dave Lombardo who has not only kept up his drumming over the years, but has actually taken the effort to improve his playing.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-17-2015, 02:15 AM
pgm554's Avatar
pgm554 pgm554 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 152
Default Re: Why the hate? (Lars Ulrich)

Lars makes an easy target because he's not great,but the band is.

I can name lots of bands that are quite successful,with lousy to mediocre drummers.

Charlie Watts and Peter Criss come to mind.

America has a mentality of only the best musicians should be rich or famous(like classical orchestral musicians),but the pop music biz has taught us that ain't so.

Michael McDonald of the Doobies remarked that there were tons of singers out there that were quite superior to himself,but a lot of it is right place ,right time.

Lars is lucky and as the saying goes ,I rather be lucky than...
__________________
Pearl MCX Gretsch Renown and many many Fibes snares.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-17-2015, 02:32 AM
fakeflyer737 fakeflyer737 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 89
Default Re: Why the hate? (Lars Ulrich)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
Lars makes an easy target because he's not great,but the band is.

I can name lots of bands that are quite successful,with lousy to mediocre drummers.

Charlie Watts and Peter Criss come to mind.

America has a mentality of only the best musicians should be rich or famous(like classical orchestral musicians),but the pop music biz has taught us that ain't so.

Michael McDonald of the Doobies remarked that there were tons of singers out there that were quite superior to himself,but a lot of it is right place ,right time.

Lars is lucky and as the saying goes ,I rather be lucky than...


uhh you think Charlie Watts is a "lousy to mediocre" drummer? The time feel in Beast of Burden is amazing and I think he's an amazing player with a very unique time feel.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-17-2015, 02:39 AM
Midnite Zephyr's Avatar
Midnite Zephyr Midnite Zephyr is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surf City, CA
Posts: 3,708
Default Re: Why the hate? (Lars Ulrich)

Thanks to Lars, hitting a crash on the 2 and 4 is cool.
__________________
5A Sticks--Coated Heads--Acoustic Drums--Cast Bronze Cymbals--Heavy-Duty Hardware
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-17-2015, 02:47 AM
Matt Bo Eder's Avatar
Matt Bo Eder Matt Bo Eder is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Disneyland, CA
Posts: 992
Default Re: Why the hate? (Lars Ulrich)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
Thanks to Lars, hitting a crash on the 2 and 4 is cool.
Surely you jest!

..............
__________________
YouTube channel: youtube.com/user/boeder101
Photoblog: mattederblog.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-17-2015, 02:57 AM
alparrott's Avatar
alparrott alparrott is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wenatchee, WA
Posts: 4,445
Default Re: Why the hate? (Lars Ulrich)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Lars is a major influence on all metal drumming. I'd wager 99% of the drummers who put down Lars were directly or indirectly influenced by him.

The issue with Lars is historical context.

It's like a car that was state of the art in the 1930's, but that same car can't keep up with a even a mediocre standard production car of today.


In the 80's, Lars was doing things on drums few to no one was doing in a context where it was reaching people. His influence on young drummers was huge.

But as the 90's went on, millions of kids who grew up on Lars took everything Lars did, leaned how to do it, and then learned how to improve upon it, and took to new heights.

Lars himself went in opposite direction, got lazy, stopped practicing, and got to the point where he struggles to play his own parts.

There was a time that if you could play "One" on double bass, people looked up to you as having reached milestone in double bass drumming. Now double bass has so progressed that kids are born knowing how to play "One" and it's simple by todays standards.

Made worse that Lars so rarely practices (and readily admits it) that in concert, he can barely play "One" without sounding very sloppy.

Kids who weren't around in the 80's to understand the historical context see clips of Lars struggling to get through songs, then compare it to someone like George Kollias, Derek Roddy, or Thomas Haake, and Lars looks silly.

And even more so compared to someone like Dave Lombardo who has not only kept up his drumming over the years, but has actually taken the effort to improve his playing.
This is pretty much spot on with how I feel about the subject. If you're a multi-million-selling artist, at least be bothered to keep in fighting trim, is my opinion.
__________________
Al Parrott
"Jus suum cuique"
-------------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-17-2015, 04:41 AM
pgm554's Avatar
pgm554 pgm554 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 152
Default Re: Why the hate? (Lars Ulrich)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakeflyer737 View Post
uhh you think Charlie Watts is a "lousy to mediocre" drummer? The time feel in Beast of Burden is amazing and I think he's an amazing player with a very unique time feel.
Charlie knows what he is,and that is lucky.
I would be surprised if he could do a proper roll.

Dick Cavett was interviewing Buddy Rich and made the comment that Charlie could twirl his sticks.
Buddy replied ,yeah,that's nice ,but I can play.

In fact ,with the exception of Ronnie Wood,the Stones are all barely passable as musicians.

You want a great drummer of CW's era ,Dave Clark was the bomb.
__________________
Pearl MCX Gretsch Renown and many many Fibes snares.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-17-2015, 06:16 AM
Acidline303's Avatar
Acidline303 Acidline303 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 278
Default Re: Why the hate? (Lars Ulrich)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Lars himself went in opposite direction, got lazy, stopped practicing, and got to the point where he struggles to play his own parts.
This especially. He was never the craziest, fastest, or most creative player but the parts he was coming up with in the 80s had that weird ability to be sung back by drummers and non drummers alike. I cut my teeth on the entire Justice album when I started playing so it's not that I think he has always sucked.

Now he can barely get through Battery without a ventilator and he's been riding the last 23 years on the same thump-whack pattern in EVERY SONG. Looking more and more like Hannibal Lecter to boot.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-17-2015, 06:35 AM
KamaK KamaK is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,908
Default Re: Why the hate? (Lars Ulrich)

I have to admit, a fair bit of humor has come from this Lars-Hate thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qTxZzvjPjI

That gave me a real good chuckle. Do me a favor though and try not to clue in people not getting it.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-17-2015, 07:13 AM
JustJames's Avatar
JustJames JustJames is online now
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 1,233
Default Re: Why the hate? (Lars Ulrich)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
Charlie knows what he is,and that is lucky.
I would be surprised if he could do a proper roll.

Dick Cavett was interviewing Buddy Rich and made the comment that Charlie could twirl his sticks.
Buddy replied ,yeah,that's nice ,but I can play.

In fact ,with the exception of Ronnie Wood,the Stones are all barely passable as musicians.

You want a great drummer of CW's era ,Dave Clark was the bomb.
Yeah, pretty sure the Stones are still going, still filling stadiums on account of how crap they are.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-17-2015, 11:09 AM
Gertz's Avatar
Gertz Gertz is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Surrey, England
Posts: 49
Default Re: Why the hate? (Lars Ulrich)

Lars' drumming was always quite basic but it suited Metallica's style, a bit like Fabrizio Morretti who plays for The Strokes. A 10 year old can play their drum parts, it's simply true. But at the end of the day it's what the band thinks that matters.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this but if you do a bit of digging and a lot of Recording-To-Live Performance comparisons, you'll find that Lars simplifies his drumming during live performances ALOT. Like ALOT. On many songs that have 16 notes on the bass drum Lars will play 8 notes live. He also simplifies his fills quite often and at times he even continues playing when in the recording, he has stopped or vice versa. He almost-never exactly replicates his fills or a lot of the time leaves them out completely too. A lack of practice and a sign of laziness in my opinion.

Oh, and yes, he is an arrogant **** a lot of the time for how simplistic his drumming is.

- This is only my opinion on based what I have seen, heard and been told.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-17-2015, 01:50 PM
whiteknightx's Avatar
whiteknightx whiteknightx is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 193
Default Re: Why the hate? (Lars Ulrich)

Lars was one of the biggest musical influences for me as a teenager. Kill em all and Ride the Lightning are still two of my favorite albums to this day. At the time there was nothing else like them, and people forget how young they were when that came out. They got no radio air play, and didn't make a music video until One. And if you listen to those albums compared to the other music that was out at the time, you can see things Lars was doing that no one else was. Him and Lombardo, were more known for being so fast and cutting edge.

As for him not keeping up with the times, Metallica's music has gone a different direction, and I do think what he's playing matches the rest of the stripped down vibe they are having now. I like the old stuff better, but whatever. Also 20 years have gone by. Look at the difference between 50's and 70's music. or 90's music and today's music. Today's metal guys have taken what the pioneering bands from the 80's were doing and taken it somewhere else. Hell the Red Hot Chili Peppers keep releasing the same album over and over and no one bats an eye.

I do think the hate comes from the Napster days, and in the end he was right, he just came off like a dick. Hating Lars has become a Meme, even for people who don't know anything about the drums. Hell they play metallica at sporting events now, and on Rock radio. Back when they came out, it was just a few of us in my highschool driving around with the tape in the car cranked. it was just complete noise to the Duran Duran, Culture Club crowd. lol.
__________________
Gretsch Catalina Maple Amber 7 pc, Sabian HHX Evolution cymbals
Yamaha DTX950K
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-17-2015, 02:27 PM
AudioWonderland AudioWonderland is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 534
Default Re: Why the hate? (Lars Ulrich)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftie117 View Post
Okay, here we go internet. How and why is Lars a "terrible" drummer? What could he do differently that would make him better? I just keep reading comments on drum videos, and every top-rated comment is "Betar then thtat **** Ulrich!!!". I am curious on whether he actually deserves so much hate, or if the internet is just being, well, the internet.
1) Actually maintain some level of skill. Your supposed to get better with age, experience and practice. Not worse...

2) Not be a complete tool.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-17-2015, 02:30 PM
AudioWonderland AudioWonderland is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 534
Default Re: Why the hate? (Lars Ulrich)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I think any hate you hear is an inner reflection of the person doing the hating. Lars has nothing to do with it, he is just a reason to spout hate.

When people hate you, you're doing something right.

I wonder if these haters would spew hate right to Lars face?
I would have to kneel down to do it, but yes...
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-17-2015, 02:31 PM
AudioWonderland AudioWonderland is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 534
Default Re: Why the hate? (Lars Ulrich)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud7h4 View Post

His drumming was, however, very good in the studio and in playing the songs live. .
Considering the amount of punchins etc they need to get those recordings I have to question that assesment.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-17-2015, 03:08 PM
makinao's Avatar
makinao makinao is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 510
Default Re: Why the hate? (Lars Ulrich)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioWonderland View Post
Considering the amount of punchins etc they need to get those recordings I have to question that assesment.
How do you know? Where you there?
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-17-2015, 03:12 PM
AudioWonderland AudioWonderland is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 534
Default Re: Why the hate? (Lars Ulrich)

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinao View Post
How do you know? Where you there?
They did an entire documentary on the Black album where Bob Rock et al discusses what they did to get the drum parts. Its not exactly a secret

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKyAFUj768A

Last edited by AudioWonderland; 02-17-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-17-2015, 04:21 PM
kallewille kallewille is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 211
Default Re: Why the hate? (Lars Ulrich)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
I think it's because he doesn't play like he did on those first three albums. Couldn't get further from it at times. He's become progressively more minimalist over the course of their career.....often to the point of laziness that seems to imply a lack of former ability. It's a point that hasn't been lost on his peers either. When you have a contemporary like Dave Lombardo offering to give him a few lessons to remind him "of how it's done" then I guess it's no surprise that he's being considered a far cry from the levels of excitement, creativity and pioneering that he once was.

The chopping and splicing of his drum parts in the studio doesn't seem to help his "street cred" any either. The Lombardo's and Benante's of the world can still pull off all their old licks.....and then some. I guess the general feeling is why can't Lars?

Still back in the mid eighties, to a young teen growing up in Melbourne Australia, those three guys were considered pioneers of their craft. We absolutely loved 'em. In Lars' case, it's been such a shame to see that reputation diminished to the level it has been. I'm still a fan.....always will be. But I can at least understand where some of the accusations stem from.
This pretty much. He just stopped caring about music it seemed, at least his instrument. Metallica was a huge musical influence but they lost me with the Black album and I haven't bothered buying anything from them since. He just got real lazy. And the way he records his drum parts is far from inspiring. He peaked with ...And Justice for All in my opinion.

What really gets me is when I see him fuck up his own songs...bad! I saw him butcher One, and then afterwards, has the nerve to stand up and pump his fist at the crowd like he just nailed it. I get the feeling he doesn't practice, doesn't give a shit, can't remember much of his older stuff and/or didn't maintain his chops over the years.

I don't have the energy to dislike drummers anymore (with perhaps a few exceptions ;P) so I just ignore him. Metallica's albums up to ...And Justice for All will always evoke a lot of good memories, but I'm just done with them.

Here's another way to look at it. Suppose Metallica were to break up, how many people do you think would be knocking on Lars' door? Sure, some would want him just for the name recognition, but Lars' days of inspiring young drummers are over (or should be at least).
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-17-2015, 06:35 PM
JosephDAqui's Avatar
JosephDAqui JosephDAqui is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Bridgewater, NJ
Posts: 232
Default Re: Why the hate? (Lars Ulrich)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteknightx View Post
Lars was one of the biggest musical influences for me as a teenager. Kill em all and Ride the Lightning are still two of my favorite albums to this day. At the time there was nothing else like them, and people forget how young they were when that came out. They got no radio air play, and didn't make a music video until One. And if you listen to those albums compared to the other music that was out at the time, you can see things Lars was doing that no one else was. Him and Lombardo, were more known for being so fast and cutting edge.

As for him not keeping up with the times, Metallica's music has gone a different direction, and I do think what he's playing matches the rest of the stripped down vibe they are having now. I like the old stuff better, but whatever. Also 20 years have gone by. Look at the difference between 50's and 70's music. or 90's music and today's music. Today's metal guys have taken what the pioneering bands from the 80's were doing and taken it somewhere else. Hell the Red Hot Chili Peppers keep releasing the same album over and over and no one bats an eye.

I do think the hate comes from the Napster days, and in the end he was right, he just came off like a dick. Hating Lars has become a Meme, even for people who don't know anything about the drums. Hell they play metallica at sporting events now, and on Rock radio. Back when they came out, it was just a few of us in my highschool driving around with the tape in the car cranked. it was just complete noise to the Duran Duran, Culture Club crowd. lol.
Exactly.. On all points. The major point being "he was right" about the Napster issue and if more people joined the cause maybe original artists would have better control over their music. I'm feeling the pain right now after 80,000 downloads/streams and not a red cent from it.

Haters will be haters...
__________________
http://lion-hearted.us - Lion-Hearted
http://josephdaqui.com - My Music & Tech Site
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-17-2015, 07:13 PM
KamaK KamaK is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,908
Default Re: Why the hate? (Lars Ulrich)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephDAqui View Post
The major point being "he was right" about the Napster issue and if more people joined the cause maybe original artists would have better control over their music.
The only facet that Lars had right is that artists and musicians should be compensated for their work. The mechanism by which this occurs has been under contention for several hundred years..
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-17-2015, 07:18 PM
petrez petrez is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Norway
Posts: 109
Default Re: Why the hate? (Lars Ulrich)

For me, Metallica and Lars was a reason (the main reason I think) I started to play metal-oriented music with my bands in the late 90's. I unfortunately was not old enough to hear them in their prime years (80's). I don't hate the guy, I respect him a lot for what he has accomplished, and their first 4 albums (maybe 5, but it's a stretch) will always stick with me. And as you guys have said, he was sort of a pioneer in making up the thrash metal drumming style, he was really fast back then. For me, the main reason why I don't like him today, is because of his current ability (or in better words, lack off). I don't care so much about the whole Napster thing, or that he sometimes can be a bit of an a** in interviews. To me, it's just the way he plays live (nowadays, not back then), which in my opinion gives you the best impression of how he is as a drummer (you can do anything in the studio, cut and paste for hours and with enough time and money, any drummer will sound good). I stopped going to Metallica shows maybe 10 years ago, after he was well into the decline. It gives me more frustration than happyness to see them play and to me they are nothing more than a novelty act right now... It's just so un-inspiring to listen to, same boring fills (or just basic snare hits instead), no ride cymbal, hi-hats way too open to sound good, timing is all over the place, doublebass sloppyness etc. The list goes on. To me, it's borderline insulting for all those people coming to hear you play, even if most of them don't seem to care. At least when you get that big, you should try to do/be the best you can (in my opinion). That is his main job.

You might say that it's simply because todays music are so much more evolved, that Metallica simply sound outdated compared to other metal acts today, but I will disagree with that. 80's style thrash metal still can sound great, if you maintain/evolve the skillset aquired to play that style. Look at Testament, Slayer, Exodus, Kreator etc. These guys all started at the same time Metallica did, they're the same age, but still has evolved and play this type of music to perfection, some even sounding better than before, to my ears. Metallica just became lazy (in my opinion), and Lars in particular. Sure, they are not playing only thrash metal anymore, but they still play a lot of the old songs that IS thrash metal, and when the skill is lacking to do that, it doesn't sound right at all.

The last show I think Lars did pretty good, was the S&M show right before the year 2000. Seems like he practiced quite a bit at that time, to keep in time with the orchestra, and he looked to me pretty solid during that show. After that, every liveshow I've seen has been a letdown. Sad but true...(no pun intended).
__________________
Mapex Saturn IV (maple/walnut)
Sonor Essential Force (birch)
Paiste 2oo2/Rude/Alpha cymbals

Last edited by petrez; 02-17-2015 at 07:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-17-2015, 07:28 PM
whiteknightx's Avatar
whiteknightx whiteknightx is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 193
Default Re: Why the hate? (Lars Ulrich)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
The only facet that Lars had right is that artists and musicians should be compensated for their work. The mechanism by which this occurs has been under contention for several hundred years..
Yes the music industry itself has always been shameless in not fairly compensating artists, but since Napster, pretty much no one under the age of 30 believes music has any monetary value. Quite frankly from what has happened to the music industry, I believe this is the last generation of musical talent. I try to picture what will happen over the next 20 years...

As is now, it's so hard to find anywhere to play, people don't go out to clubs to see live music anymore like they used to. Bands can't spend years refining their music and stage acts in seedy little bars. There's no money in new music sales. Pretty soon everything on the radio will be just old music, or stuff people composed on garageband on their smart phones. Think of what you can do now on a phone, and picture where it'll be in 20 years.
__________________
Gretsch Catalina Maple Amber 7 pc, Sabian HHX Evolution cymbals
Yamaha DTX950K
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-17-2015, 07:46 PM
KamaK KamaK is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,908
Default Re: Why the hate? (Lars Ulrich)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteknightx View Post
Yes the music industry itself has always been shameless in not fairly compensating artists, but since Napster, pretty much no one under the age of 30 believes music has any monetary value. Quite frankly from what has happened to the music industry, I believe this is the last generation of musical talent. I try to picture what will happen over the next 20 years...

As is now, it's so hard to find anywhere to play, people don't go out to clubs to see live music anymore like they used to. Bands can't spend years refining their music and stage acts in seedy little bars. There's no money in new music sales. Pretty soon everything on the radio will be just old music, or stuff people composed on garageband on their smart phones. Think of what you can do now on a phone, and picture where it'll be in 20 years.
While this is probably best left to a different thread and or board entirely:

Think of the various incarnations of the "music industry" throughout the last several hundred years. Every time there's some disruptive new technology (printing press, player piano, phonograph, multitrack recording, radio, music video, digital audio, the sampler, positional audio, the internet, autotune) it's an end to the old way of doing things and the beginning of something new.

The barrier for entry keeps coming down. This is a good thing.
The barrier for listers to hear and appreciate the art keeps coming down. This is a good thing.

So how do artists earn a living without resorting to underhanded legal tactics that put the children who love them into jail or debtors prison? That's the multi billion dollar question.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-17-2015, 08:04 PM
whiteknightx's Avatar
whiteknightx whiteknightx is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 193
Default Re: Why the hate? (Lars Ulrich)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
That's the multi billion dollar question.
I agree, and I don't want to derail the thread any further, but I do stand behind my theory that most of the Lars hate comes from the Napster battle. And yes maybe Lars is just mailing it in for the last few years, but we all age differently, and you never know if it's health issues why he can't play what he used to. Hell I'm 46 and can't play like I did when I was in my 20's either.

The last Metallica album I own is Load, and I think I've listened to it twice. I don't like what they've done since Justice for all, but the Black album is what made them a household name, so what do I know.

I don't think we'll ever know exactly how much of the early stuff was Cliff's influence on the song writing, and that maybe the two Bass players afterwards were just employees, that didn't get the same input into the final product and the music has suffered because of it.
__________________
Gretsch Catalina Maple Amber 7 pc, Sabian HHX Evolution cymbals
Yamaha DTX950K
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-17-2015, 09:08 PM
pgm554's Avatar
pgm554 pgm554 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 152
Default Re: Why the hate? (Lars Ulrich)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
Yeah, pretty sure the Stones are still going, still filling stadiums on account of how crap they are.

It ain't about talent in pop music.

It's more style than substance .Milli Vanilli and Molly Cyrus are proof positive that a high caliber of musicianship is not required.

The Stones ,Kiss and et al are entertainers and I give them credit for their business model.

We are now in the Protools age,so musical virtuosity is no longer a requirement.

Can't keep a beat or sing on key ,Protools.
__________________
Pearl MCX Gretsch Renown and many many Fibes snares.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-17-2015, 09:09 PM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,218
Default Re: Why the hate? (Lars Ulrich)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioWonderland View Post
Considering the amount of punchins etc they need to get those recordings I have to question that assesment.
That has always been another knock on Lars is the fact that all his tracks are results of multiple takes and punch ins.

But to be fair, so are a lot of drum tracks from many drummers and many bands. Lars was just always much more upfront about it, didn't try to hide it, and gets hammered for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteknightx View Post
I agree, and I don't want to derail the thread any further, but I do stand behind my theory that most of the Lars hate comes from the Napster battle.
That is certainly also a factor. The fact is Lars is a business man, and it shocked and upset people that this long haired, beer drinking, fight against authority, metal up your ass guy is actually handling business like a business person.

Fans generally don't want to think about their favorite band as business entity, they want to think the guys in the band are all about the music and it's the "suits upstairs" that handle the money. And Metallica had always had their perception that they were a band for the fans, and not the fame. But the fact is once a band takes money for a gig, and especially once they sign a record deal, they do in fact become a business entity. Lars had the guts to stand up and admit a band is a money making business, which is true for every band with a record out, and yet he alone got crucified for it.


Although if Lars could still play the Master and Justice era songs like he did in the 80's, I think people might be a tad more forgiving.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com