DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-30-2006, 03:16 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Practice pads

I also have a pad that has snare beads in it to create a snare drum like sound.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerboy3940
I also have a pad that has snare beads in it to create a snare drum like sound.
I have that pad, too. Starts with an "X"...
Old 04-30-2006, 12:38 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

I use a Shaw 6" red pad. It's really, really good. Much better than the Pearl one I was using before, I got a deal on it too because I bought it from Noonan. Heh. I really want to try out Shaw sticks as well, they look like quality items.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:27 PM

I bought a Roland Rythm Coach and love it. You can change the tension on the mesh head to feel more like a real drum, plus it has a built in metronome and many other electronic features to practice along with.
Has anyone tried the beatnik (?) pad?
Mike
Old 05-05-2006, 05:23 PM
Silver Member

i use a think hardbound english-filipino dictionary. the thickness of the book gives just the right amount of give so that it doesnt feel like a wall. i hit the back cover real hard at first to soften the hard cover. it feels like a real snare. i keep the front cover as it is and i hit it lightly to keep the hardness. it feels like one unusual snare that i played that i think was tuned insanely tight and i even thought they put plywood under the batter head or something. its noisier than a practice pad but hey i never spent more than $4 on that. and it helps me on my language too hehehe
Old 05-05-2006, 07:09 PM
Pioneer Member

I have tis crappy pad that my cousin wrote a whole bunch of police rules. He's obsessed with the police....anyways i hate it because their is little rebound. I want to get a real feel one though.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:21 PM

I use a tiny VicFirth pad. It is a better idea to use the larger ones because as a previous poster said you can use it without your sticks getting in the way of each other or not being able to use both sticks on it. I'm lookin to upgrade soon.

My Kit

My Band
Old 05-05-2006, 07:34 PM

I use a Beato Stealth Practice Pad. I actually got it free with a set of Beato Bags that I bought, but I love it. It is small though, so probably not your cup of tea.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:59 AM
Silver Member

im still for the thick hardbound books... you hear each stroke distinctively so i guess it will help on polishing your rudiments or something... i think large encyclopedias will do the trick hehehe
Old 05-06-2006, 06:00 AM
Pioneer Member

Im using a very small Remo pad. I love it because i can tighten it with a screw driver, as you would normally with a tuning key.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:14 PM

I own, and love, my HQ real feel 6" pad. Vic Firth also makes a good pad
Old 05-11-2006, 07:35 AM
Gold Member

i have a remo. its loud its heavy and it doesnt have enoff bounce (even after tuning)

Myspace-Add me!
Old 05-11-2006, 09:12 AM
Chip

I have a mousepad on a wooden table for exaggurated rebound to help for control, I use a pillow so I can then do the exercises on low toms etc. I also have a different mousepad that nicely replicates a drum/cymbal.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:26 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Practice Pads

I need a real practice pad, because the one i have now, well it isnt really a practice pad, you know how when you get the 2 sided ones. 1 side is a soft warm up side, then the hard real feel 'workout' side on the other half. The pad i have now is MDF with some i spose 'medium-hard' foam(no foam is really hard though) then with a smaller circle of soft foam glued ontop. Now i dont believe this is any good at all so ive been tossing up between 3 ideas.

1) I found for $70AUD a REMO pad kit (the one that has black pads and red rims) on EBAY, plus shippping so it will end up something like $140 i think. But does any1 have this set, is it any good, do they feel realistic.
2) The Thomas Lang REMO kit, this is what i really want, but i cant buy it brand new, cause its so damb much, and ive been on ebay everyday for the past 27 days to look for one but there is never one for sale. Any1 got one i can buy? This seems like the best kit out there ut yea.
3) We all know those ruber compund pads that come with a stand, like $70AUD so i spose around 40-50US. Im thinking just buy 4 of them then get a bass drum one as well. Now this idea is good because i can buy 1 thing at a time, which is good cause i need to save my money for a trip im going on. (Im going to Germany for 1month. Maybe i can find some DW members while im over there, Karl.[Trips in September]) So i could get it piece by piece. But is it a good idea? Would it be better to get one of the proper practice kits. And also if anyone has the 'red rimmed' remo kit, can you tell if the pads have different sounds...higher pitched pads for the toms. And same with the Thomas Lang one, (but i think it does). I think i could buy different sized 'rubber' pads for different sounds.
Anyway what should i do. I would love some quick responses cause the red rimmed kit auction ends soon. Thanks

wat about these any experience

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DW-Go-Anywher...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/XYMOX-SNARE-M...QQcmdZViewItem

Wat does Derrick have? His has a snare sound

Last edited by Latin Groover; 07-31-2006 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:55 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Practice Pads

Just had another idea. Does anyone have any expeirence with those REMO tuneable pads, you can get them on a stand and they're tuneable so clearly ill get different tones, but whats the feel like...
Old 07-03-2006, 08:02 AM
Chip

I was just searching eBay for 'em. There's heaps, but I don't know how loud they are, I want a really quiet one, like library quiet, I want to be able to not disturb anyone. The RTOM ones look good, but I don't know how loud they would be. I'm going to Canberra maybe this weekend, if they have some good quiet ones I might get one.

If you have one, answer me this.....How quiet are they (any practice pad)? The ones in the MD videos seem kinda loud for my needs.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:08 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip
I was just searching eBay for 'em. There's heaps, but I don't know how loud they are, I want a really quiet one, like library quiet, I want to be able to not disturb anyone. The RTOM ones look good, but I don't know how loud they would be. I'm going to Canberra maybe this weekend, if they have some good quiet ones I might get one.

If you have one, answer me this.....How quiet are they (any practice pad)? The ones in the MD videos seem kinda loud for my needs.
HEY, quit hijacking me thread!

Nah its ok, wat r these RTOM ones ur talkin about? Are in the same situation as me.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:11 AM
Chip

RTOM Practice Pad, there you go, my cranky friend, haha, just kidding.

It seems to be some sort of membranophone-practice-pad. Wierd.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:18 AM
Pioneer Member

Mmmm seems pretty 'revolutinary'. Looks pretty heavey and chunky though, but if it has great feel thats all you need. It doesn't come with the stand does it? My only critisim is how high the 'rim' is above the pad, it may force you to play with your arms up higher?
Old 07-03-2006, 08:24 AM
Pioneer Member

hey chip waddya think of this

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Roland-RM-2-E...QQcmdZViewItem

and this ones near you

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PRACTICE-DRUM...QQcmdZViewItem

But this was the sort of pad i was talking about for building the kit piece by piece.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Billy-Hyde-Dr...QQcmdZViewItem

Any good?
Old 07-03-2006, 08:34 AM
Pioneer Member

Does any1 have any experience with'Real Feel'?
Old 07-03-2006, 08:35 AM
Chip

I just contacted RTOM about Aus. retailers. and the volume of their practice products.

Damn, thanks man. I saw the 2nd one, missed the first one, I'l consult the parentals. It claims to be "almost silent". The whole rubber thing will never get quiet enough for me I think.
As for piece by piece, those look good, but BD practice pad? A full remo one looks pretty good. I think I'm going to make my own BD pratice pad. My teacher has a practice kit I may borrow......but my guitarist has it. I'll see if I can get it back. It's not loud, but it isn't quiet either.
I think I may just get the 1st one........
Old 07-03-2006, 08:47 AM
Pioneer Member

Wat the Vdrum one? ?
Old 07-03-2006, 09:17 AM
Chip

Yeah, I may get it. Either it or the RTOM snare thingo.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:31 AM
Pioneer Member

Yea just get em both and tell me which ones better. I think ive decided to do option 3. Im sure ill be able to find3 different pitched pads. Does anyone know if you can buy just the snare pad from the Thomas Lang kit? I like that pad..
Old 07-03-2006, 10:41 AM
Chip

I think I'll go with the RTOM, as it is basically a snare, just 1000 times less output (apparently). I'm saving for a 2002C Eliminator, so I can't really go all out just on pads. I think the Rtom snare goes for around $100AU. I'm heading to Canberra (to go to Albury......Yay...) maybe next weekend, there's a big drum shop there apparently, so they may have an array of pads.

I remember seeing that the snare pad can be bought individually.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:03 AM
Pioneer Member

Nahget the Vdrum 1. And yea theres the 'comrehensive kit' which is the snare pad but it also comes with the base, cable, reverse bearter and the music stand and whatever other little things, i just want the snare pad. Does anyone at all own one? Someone has to.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:19 AM
Chip

Why the vdrum one? The metronome and the input thingo? 'Spose.... Dunno, I'll have to see what the RTOM people say.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:51 AM
Pioneer Member

I remeber seeing in a Modern Drummer about the 'rythym coach'? Anyone no of it? Its like a metronome, drumometre, and it tells you how accurate you are. Like you can play any phrase and it will tell you things to do to improove it or something.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:14 AM

how'd you guys manage to get so far off base without anyone steping in and helping you out?

as far as practice pad sets go they are a huge waste of money. get yourself a realfeel pad.i started out with a remo pad, but they are kinda noisy. the 2-sided realfeel pads are the way to go. the gum rubber side has a real nice bounce to it, and the hard rubber side will give you a nice workout.

as far as kick pads go, i've only seen two on the market, gibraltar and pearl. the gibraltar looks like a remo pad stuck to a short frame, and the pearl is a small sheet of gum rubber on a frame. i've seen an instructional video where a drummer uses the pearl pad and it looks nice. quiet, but still gives a nice audible thump.

with just 2 pads you can practice pretty much anything you want and develope your chops.

if you really want to spend the money on a practice pad set consider a low-end electric kit.

the roland td-3 module comes with the rhythmcoach built into it. basically its a metronome that keeps track (via led display) of how accurate your strokes are. its got a few different exercises built into it, but i personally found it useless. all you need is a metronome and you'll be set.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:09 AM
Pioneer Member

Yea i asked about the real feels b4 but no one answered. Im thinking they're (pad sets) are a bit too much so im just going to it pad by pad, unless whats the red rimmed REMO set like cause theres on on ebay for $50AUD! That remo VDRUM pad looks pretty good as long as it has a stand.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:05 PM
Pioneer Member

Whats the diff between the orangey coloured real feel pads (dbl side) and the grey ones is it just a new colour? And can u get a stand for the 2 sided pad? I know it would be a bit different because theres the other side of the pad, but ive seen magnetic stands b4...But how do u mount the two sided real feel pad? Cause if u put it in a normal snare stand the rubber caps would hang over the top and would get in the way...wouldnt they? And u can use brushes on the real feel right.

Like say this. This is one of the ones with the grey/black pad instead of orange/black.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Real-Feel-Pra...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 08-01-2006, 04:47 AM
Silver Member

i've got a different version of the xymox (or whatever its called) snare pad with the ball bearings. i like it, it's nice and would definitely work for a nice snare sound on a practice kit. as for reelfeel, i've played on them several times and they are nice pads as well. as far as i know, the grey is just a change in color, not function. mounting them on a snare stand works fine, the 12" model (which i prefer and you linked to) is definitely big enough that the rubber grips on the snare stand dont cause any trouble. the one gripe i have with realfeel pads is that you have to modify your technique for rim hits, because the rim is lower than the pad rather than higher, like on a snare. also, i find i get a better sound for rimshots not by actually hitting the rim and pad simultaneously but instead ignoring the rim and hitting the pad with the stick flat. this gives a nice rimshot sound and isnt too different from the normal movement

ps-tell me how that RTOM pad works out, im looking for a nice very quiet pad and that's looking like a good option right now
Old 08-19-2006, 11:08 PM

Default recomendation for practice pad

hi! i going to buy a practice pad but i don't know what pad to choose 'cause there are different materials. I like the black ones but i don' t. Could you please tell me wha practice pad to choose? A practice pad with stand. I would be glad to know. bye!
Old 08-19-2006, 11:14 PM

Default a practice pad. but which one?

hi! i going to buy a practice pad but i don't know what pad to choose 'cause there are different materials. I like the black ones but i don' t. Could you please tell me wha practice pad to choose? A practice pad with stand. I would be glad to know. bye!
Old 08-19-2006, 11:17 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: a practice pad. but which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvador_nave

Get a Hugh Cameron practice pad! Awesome pad, jut use a snare stand,
Old 08-19-2006, 11:19 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: recomendation for practice pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvador_nave

I said this in the same thread you posted Hugh Cameron pratice pad
Old 08-20-2006, 05:45 AM

Hugh Cameron? i've never heard that name. But, do you know where i can buy one of the here in usa?
Old 08-20-2006, 06:18 AM
Gold Member

i use a 12" hq percussion double sided pad (http://samash.com/catalog/showitem.a...ent&GroupCode=). i quickly

realized that i could have saved a few bucks by going with the 6" instead, but it's very

nice. i used to have a remo pad, but got the hq because it was too loud. (couldn't practice quietly)
Old 08-20-2006, 06:30 AM
Gold Member

I have exactly the same story as Radio. Yes.. exactly. HQ Realfeel's are good.