DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 08-16-2005, 02:49 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Elvin Jones

Maybe it's wrong to post the obvious choices, but I gotta post my personal favorite of all time. Elvin of course. For all of you who haven't picked up John Coltrane's A Love Supreme, you might find a new love with jazz and jazz drumming. His work with Wayne Shorter and McCoy tyner is also quite wonderful. Not to mention his later solo work. His live performance at the Blue entitled the Truth is quite an amzing record.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:48 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Default Re: The Almighty Elvin Jones

He's amazing. Even when he plays simple, it's still just stunning.

Go find the track "Alabama" from "Live At Birdland". Wow. Mid-tempo time playing, mostly ride cymbal... but still an amazing and memorable piece of drumming. It has swing coming out of its eyeballs.

I must admit not being a huge fan of his soloing on A Love Supreme though.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:37 AM

Besides John Coltrane's A Love Supreme, what other albums are considered his best ???
What are your favourites from him ?
Old 08-16-2005, 05:15 AM
Pioneer Member

even mclaughlin's 'after the rain' is beautiful.
oh man, i get so emotional just thinking about that record.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:18 AM

I love all of his live stuff with Coltrane. "Spiritual" is a GREAT tune. "Afro Blue" and "My Favorite Things" too. He is SO intense during Afro blue from Live at the Birdland. It's one of my favorite songs ever. That and "Spirtual" really got me into Elvin.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:57 AM
Pioneer Member

words cannot begin to describe the amazingness of elvin jones (especially at 3 AM). i saw him play just a few months before he passed away, and it was the greatest gift i could have ever asked for. i love his playing, it's so powerful and it feels like nothing else.

another track worth checking out is wayne shorter's "deluge" off of juju (in fact, check out the whole album while you're at it). not only is elvin's playing phenominal, but so is wayne's. his solo is immensely powerful, helped hugely by elvin's work.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:20 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterB_Junkie
Besides John Coltrane's A Love Supreme, what other albums are considered his best ???
What are your favourites from him ?

I think his self titleted Jazz Machine record is one of his Best also. He plays with a pretty sick cast of musicians including Nicolas Payton and Joshua Redman. I would deinitely agree that JuJu is one his better recordings with Wayne Shorter, however Shorter sounds so much like Coltrane on that record that it kind of bothers me. If you heard it you might not be able to discern it from a Coltrane record. The real McCoy with none other than McCoy Tyner is a great record as well.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:25 PM

I adore Elvin.
I love his work with Ray Brown. Amazing drummer.

Buddy Rich is my hero ! ;-)
Old 08-27-2005, 08:51 AM
Senior Consultant

Elvin rules.
The McLaughlin record, after the rain, is his best recording. Unbelievable. From the 60's, I like the Real McCoy and Speak No Evil.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:52 AM

i <3 elvin

i havent checked out the mclaughlin record nor heard of it but i will now
hes pretty pimpin on the larry young cd "unity" tho
and i like elvins solo on a love supreme
its ill
Old 01-31-2006, 10:08 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Elvin Jones

man, elvin came to play drums and created a whole new style of his own! the man's a genius.... gotta love all his work!
Old 02-01-2006, 03:08 PM
Stu_Strib

When I get good enough at jazz I'm making a hundred of those "Jazz Machine" t-shirts for when I gig!
Old 03-14-2006, 10:31 PM

Default Elvin Jones

I'm sure there have been alot of these on the Drummers forum, but he deserves it. Probably one of the most humble and happy people that I've ever seen. Not only is he unbelievable but he makes you smile when you see him. I think more people should know who Elvin is and how much he influenced jazz. Anyways what's your favourite song with Elvin playing at the moment? Mine would have to be My Favourite Things by Coltrane. Great song. Just started this to honor a legend.

P.S. Does anyone know where I can find the picture Promark did of the empty music stationary that says "A moment of silence for Elvin Jones, 1927 - 2004" at the bottom? It was in Modern Drummer a while ago. I need it because I'm putting it on a shirt but I don't have a scanner. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:48 PM

Yeah, Elvin is just legendary. My favourite is Resolution of A Love Surpreme... The melodies, the solos, it's so super intense playing I just can't imagine what was going on inside those guys. I was just getting into jazz when he passed away, it's a shame I'll never have the opportunity to experience someone like him live (just like Tony Williams and Max Roach...).

Really, if you want to find out the 'spark' which makes jazz so interesting, you have to listen to Elvin a LOT.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanDirt
words cannot begin to describe the amazingness of elvin jones (especially at 3 AM). i saw him play just a few months before he passed away, and it was the greatest gift i could have ever asked for. i love his playing, it's so powerful and it feels like nothing else.

another track worth checking out is wayne shorter's "deluge" off of juju (in fact, check out the whole album while you're at it). not only is elvin's playing phenominal, but so is wayne's. his solo is immensely powerful, helped hugely by elvin's work.
amazing song! elvins playing give a very positive powerful feeling when i hear it.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:21 AM

Right now Im really diggin this cd by Joe Lovano Trio Fascination with Elvin and Dave Holland. any avid Elvin fans should check this out. Its Heavy Heavy stuff.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:31 PM
Senior Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly
Right now Im really diggin this cd by Joe Lovano Trio Fascination with Elvin and Dave Holland. any avid Elvin fans should check this out. Its Heavy Heavy stuff.
I just got this last week. I'll add that everyone needs this in their life. It's really, really good. Even on terms of Elvin good... what a phenomenal drummer. I need to relisten to After the Rain again.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:32 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Just listened to Outrance - Time Is of the Essence - Michael Brecker

and share it with you - enjoy:

http://www.drummerworld.com/m3u/elvinjonesoutrance.m3u

Bernhard
Old 03-22-2006, 06:59 PM

Elvin Jones' drumming is so free and dynamic - at least on his works with Coltrane. He can squeeze in so much in a short period of time, while still keeping going the rythm. His drummng also fits well with the rest of the Quartet and can be very atmospheric - just listen to his playing in Attaining
Old 03-24-2006, 06:48 PM

Just purchased Art Pepper Encounter on CD. The reproduction quality is pretty good. You can here all the phrasing. Nice work by the Machine.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:50 PM
Pioneer Member

i love his drumming on acknoledgement on 'A Love Supreme', it's such a complicated groove and I tend to end up in awe at how he manages to pull it all off...
Old 03-25-2006, 01:29 AM
Guinness

I just bought A Love Supreme this week and have since been humbled to ant size. I don't understand how someone can be that discoordinated, it's ridiculous. I have a new mountain to climb. Elvin does the best cymbal work I have ever heard on this one. I think they broke the mold after this guy.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:51 PM

Elvin Jones was my inspiration that sparked my love of Jazz drumming and desire to play it.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:46 PM

My mistake, the lead for the recording session Encounter was Pepper Adams.
Note: I've switched to Mr. Jones method of the & beat accent on burshes.

Last edited by sticksup; 03-26-2006 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:21 PM

Sorry to say this: Is this board listing only tributes to Elvin Jones. You can do better then that.... The 3/4 over 4/4 is a Elvin Jones trade mark. Anyone learning, using, expanding on this concept.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:31 PM

Default Elvin Jones

Any comments on Mr. Jones approach of playing on the 1 and 3.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:51 PM
Pioneer Member

i have his live album, The Truth. i got over a year ago and just a few weeks ago i really started to appreciate it. i wish i knew his greatness before he passed away.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:01 PM

Last comment. Some Day My Prince Will Come. Elvin playing like Elvin, but who was on the board and what were they thinking about during and on the finial cut of this session. Am I missing some background info on this session.....?
Old 03-28-2006, 02:51 AM

Does anyone know what elvins bass foot looked like?
Old 04-04-2006, 08:43 AM

do you mean how he played his bassdrum?? I got to sit right next to the drumset several times at the Regatta Bar in Boston...it was amazing.

I noticed several things about his bassdrum foot....

1)He feathered the bassdrum quite a bit - and it was very much felt not heard....and with a wood beater!

2)He cranked the crap out of his bassdrum....it was higher pitch than his 18" floortom!

3) He played heels dow for his comping patterns unless he was doing some of his mind-blowing fills and had to plays lots of doubles on the bassdrum and then he was on the ball of his foot and almost sliding his foot up the footboard a bit.

4)Elvin never buried the beater - he let the drum ring out!

I love Elvin and miss him and his presence everyday....just knowing he was alive and kicking it somehow made the world a better place. His music influenced me to leave behind one college and a path in life I would have regretted and go to Boston to study at Berklee.

Here are my favorites of Elvin:
Heavy Sounds - the duo with Richard Davis on "Summertime" is worth the price alone. His mallet solo is amazing - and if you listen close you can hear him grunting away and you can hear his sticks rattling on his bassdrum(they were shoved in between the lugs). And let's not forget - here Elvin play guitar on this recording is a real treat!

Sunship - right before the End of the Coltrane Quartet as it was known...just prior to the introduction of more musicians on titles such as Live in Seattle and Ascension. This record is heavy as anything but still more inside than later records. Elvin is EXPLODING on this one.

Transition - maybe a little more inside than SUnship - but equally impressive.

Crescent - many people consider it to the peak for this group. Fabulous.

A Love Supreme - check out this record....it is perfect. Dig Ashley Kahn's great book about with an intro buy Elvin.

Real McCoy - Elvin is amazing on this.

The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings - amazing becuase of several things but notably the presence of Eric Dolphy throughout adds an unreal dimension to these recordins. Sevveral blistering takes of "India" alone make this worth it. I mean - its about 4 hours of music plus a cool booklet and a poster for about $40....killin'! Also Roy Haynes sits in and this is interesting because Roy was very influential on Elvin and you can hear how Roy has more of a slick approach and Elvin is more like a force of nature organic approach both work and they have similar vocabulary as well. VEry cool.

Tommy Flanagan - Overseas....an early recording of Elvin from his first tour of Europe...and here is the best part....he plays ONLY BRUSHES throughout the recording.

Sonny Rollins - Live AT The Village Vanguard - an amazing double album of SOnny Rollins's Sax trio - with Pete LaRoca on drums - but Elvin sat in and he is on almost the entire recording - an early view of Elvin while he is still puttin' it together....great great great

okay one more - I could go on and on - like his Mosaic boxed set of all his Bluenote stuff is Killing! Plus it has LIve At The Light House in it.

I really like the record he did with his Borther Hank and Richard Davis. "Collaboration" - close to the end of his life http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...Fencoding=UTF8 its worth it for the cover alone.

Elvin passed and the world has never been the same....but it was better becuase he came through. I know the last tune ELvin played was Coltrane's "Dear Lord" I think that is perfect. Elvin was so cool...he once gave me a hug after a gig and I had to practically ring out my sweater....although I read he ruined Buddy Rich's calfskin jacket giving him a hug!

HE also harassed me once about not cleaning my old K's.....I was like "but Elvin, uh I mean I uh want them to sound darker......uh"...."well, some guys say they sound better when there dirty....but they don't! they sound worse! now go home and clean this thing...ahahahaha!"
Old 04-04-2006, 10:11 PM

Haha, thats pretty funny Renato. Just curious, did Elvin stick to playing old K's, or did he have some Constantinoples?

I never got to see elvin play, I have heard alot of stories, but nothing compares. When I saw Roy Haynes play not to long ago it made me think of what it would have been like to see Elvin. I really dig listening to the more recent Elvin recordings, The Lovano trio is killen, and also that Bill Frissel recording with Elvin and Dave Holland. That one took a while but now I cant get enough of it.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:09 PM

[quote=fly]Haha, thats pretty funny Renato. Just curious, did Elvin stick to playing old K's, or did he have some Constantinoples?

According to Zildjians website Elvins recent set up was...

20 inch K Constantinople Light Ride
20 inch K Constantinople Medium Ride
14 inch K Hi-hats
20 inch K ride

The setup of a true master.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:01 AM

I dont beleive those things, i mean sometimes they are accurate, but usually not.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:55 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Here's great motivational poster-type image from Steve Holmes at House of Drumming:
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2006, 10:18 PM

[quote=Zackman] Mine would have to be My Favourite Things by Coltrane. Great song. Just started this to honor a legend. [quote]

Me too! That is my favorite all-time jazz song. It's so incredible. Colrane Kills on that thing. Everytime when I listen to it, at the end, when Coltrane goes nuts, my hair literally stands on the back of my neck and I get goosebumps, its so awesome.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:22 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBreath
Here's great motivational poster-type image from Steve Holmes at House of Drumming:
Too true, too damn true...
Old 01-05-2007, 08:30 PM
fixmejesus

Yeah he's a great drummer, but he sounds just like any other great Jazz drummer.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixmejesus View Post
Yeah he's a great drummer, but he sounds just like any other great Jazz drummer.
Fair enough, but who are you putting in the "Great" category? It's probably an impressive list of cats.

So, is it fair to say that Elvin is one of the "Greats"? And if so, the use of "any" trivializes his and others' greatness.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:30 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixmejesus View Post
I disagree with you there.

Elvin came along and created a whole new sound and style of his own, his sound is truly unique and you can always tell its him playing from a mile off, go buy any record with him on it and you'll be able to hear the raw passion and emotion he puts into his play and that famous 'Elvin sound'. I suggest you buy 'A Love Supreme' and those others mentioned by Renato.

That's why he's so great because he's not like most jazz drummers, Elvin is Elvin and will always be.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:43 PM
Pioneer Member

Check out Heavy Sounds with Richard Davis if you want to hear some great Elvin Jones stuff....sounds like all the other greats? Not at all!