DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 08-14-2005, 10:32 PM

Default Gregg Bissonette

Hi every one!! I just wanted to say that Gregg Bissonette its an awesome drummer, but I also want to say that he is an Incredibly humble guy that plays drums very very good... I went last friday to one of his clinics and I have the oportunity to meet him, I told my drum teacher if I could meet him!! he said yes so I met Gregg and concluded that he is very good in playing and most important he has a humble attitude!!..

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers...issonette.html

Last edited by DogBreath; 08-15-2005 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Edited to add link to DrummerWorld
Old 08-15-2005, 12:21 AM

Default Re: Gregg Bissonette!!

Gregg Bissonette is a really good drummer. I think he's self-taught also, but don't remember. Also, I know he played with David Lee Roth which was good, and I think he played with Steve Vai.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:39 AM

I got his "Musical Drumming in different styles" DVD and I gotía say it was very, very impressive. Itís a 2 Disc set that lastís 4 hours for under $50 and itís packed with great info for making music a business to playing great chops. Not just a bunch of "see me play" stuff.
I would recommend it to any serious drummer.
Heís played on the Santana "Supernatural" album and toured with Spinal Tap (British heavy metal) and site reads music very well (he was a trumpet player in school) He has an incredible playing tallent as well as a talent for teaching. IMO.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:49 PM
fusssion

Gregg Bissonette is probably one of the MOST under-rated drummers there is!

He was Maynard Ferguson's drummer for years! This guy can do it ALL..and do it well!

If you want a great piece of what he can do, .....pick up Brandon Fields "The Other Side of the Story" and listen to "The Brain Dance" !! What a great "play over" solo!!!

Also, his second album "Submarine" is great as well.........

He's one of my favorites because of his versatility ...and ...because he seems like the guy next door. One of those guys you'd run into in the airport and he'd chat with you no problem!

AND btw.......hasn't he studied w/ Freddie Gruber ?!
Old 08-19-2005, 12:36 AM

I wish I could see him do a clinic, I'll check and see if there's anything going on. He's intense....from the videos I've seen of him playing.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:04 AM

I hear the new Gregg Bissonette DVD is awesome
Old 08-26-2005, 11:21 AM
Thinshells

I liked Gregs work on the Buddy Rich tributes, and his absolutely CRUSHING drum sound on Joe Satriani's "Time machine" album.

I rmember he played a Slingerland "mint frost" kit for a while, but I think he is with DW now.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:29 PM
devilfish

Since everyone is mentioning his DVD's, his vid about playing music with a band is great! He walks you through how to make short tabs to get you through gigs and shows you a little bit about reading while playing. He breaks everything down and is very concerned with explaining everything so that no one gets lost. The title, now that I think about it, might actually be: Gregg Bissonette: Playing Music with a Band.

He is definitely one of my favorite drummers.

Cheers.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:15 AM

no actually i think gregg is currently with mapex
Old 08-27-2005, 10:21 AM
Thinshells

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusman
no actually i think gregg is currently with mapex
Yep, you are right...Mapex. He has a bio there under "artists."
Old 09-02-2005, 07:56 PM
mlehnertz

Bisonette was actually "very taught" North Texas State (Berklee of the Midwest?) and was in their best big bands. Maynard Ferguson picked him up in the early 80s. I saw him in 1982 or 1983 and talked to him after the gig. He was playing a maple set of Yamaha recording series drums at the time. Great player and a very nice guy. We talked for at least 30 minutes while he packed up his own set.

Bisonette has played with lots of people. He was on Pat Boone's "In a Metal Mood:No More Mr Nice Guy". He was with David Lee Roth, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai - his most famous gigs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer_Boy
Gregg Bissonette is a really good drummer. I think he's self-taught also, but don't remember. Also, I know he played with David Lee Roth which was good, and I think he played with Steve Vai.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:06 PM

You guys are right about him and Mapex...I saw him do a clinic here in town a few months back and he was playing one of the Saturn series. His clinic was amazing, he played with the "Thunder From Down Under" track (under 'grooves', the 3 over 2 stuff is even more amazing live!) and also covered a huge variety of grooves and fills, mainly Police, and talked about applying them to diff styles. Go see him if he's anywhere near by! Really a classy guy too.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:03 AM

I agree that Greg is a very underrated drummer To be a success with Maynard says it all
Old 11-10-2005, 12:23 AM

I saw him in the early 80's with Maynard Ferguson. His style brought so much to the music without being either boring or overbearing. When he played a short solo, it brought the house down.

After the show, he talked with my friends and me (high school band punks) for a while and was totally cool. No attitude and actually seemed to enjoy talking with us kids. Overall, a really cool guy!
Old 11-10-2005, 02:15 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ruggiero
I agree that Greg is a very underrated drummer To be a success with Maynard says it all

haha I'm not so sure. That's kindof like saying Buddy Rich was an underrated drummer. Bissonette is HUGE and has been regarded as one of the best in the business for years (decades I think but im only one and a half of those)
Old 12-29-2005, 04:34 AM

GREGG BISSONETTE is one of the greats. Groove, feel, dynamics, chops...he's got it all. One of my all-time faves. His solo albums with his bass playing bro, Matt, are excellent. I love to watch him play as much as I enjoy listening.

TOMANO
Old 12-29-2005, 06:36 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Gregg Bissonette

guys, no joke, I totally met Gregg on an airplane, he was walking down the aisle and I totally started freaking out that it was Gregg Bissonette on the same plane as me. Well I caught him before he could get down to his seat andd he totally talked to me and my family for like 20 minutes. Then he hangs out with us at the baggage claim for like another half hour even after he got his bags. Just the nicest guy Ive ever met and a KILLER player. We watched him play some fusion/rock stuff at La Va Lee in LA and he was fantasitc! He then invited us to a clinic and I also got an hour lesson with him. An absolutely amazing experience and definitely the coolest pro-musician Ive ever even heard of.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:02 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Gregg Bissonette

Hello, what do you think of gregg?
I think he is a great all-around drummer, i got his dvd for my 19 birthday and im impressed..
http://drummerworld.com/drummers/Gregg_Bissonette.html
Old 03-25-2006, 06:19 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wegadrummer
Hello, what do you think of gregg?
I think he is a great all-around drummer, i got his dvd for my 19 birthday and im impressed..
http://drummerworld.com/drummers/Gregg_Bissonette.html
Sorry Wega - had to merge - thread already exists...

Bernhard

Last edited by Bernhard; 03-25-2006 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:52 PM

Thanks for creating this thread! Gregg Bissonette is one of my favorite drummers of all time! He truly has it all. Groove, big pocket, fastness & chops. And he's played so many styles that It's scary. Not many people know that he played with Toto in 1995 when Simon Phillips was really ill and couldn't play so Gregg filled for him during that tour!
Old 03-26-2006, 11:54 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard
Sorry Wega - had to merge - thread already exists...

Bernhard
its okai... no harm done..
Old 03-27-2006, 04:49 AM

If you wanna see some great work by Greg, check out "Eat 'Em and Smile" by David Lee Roth. Roth recorded this album after he left Van Halen; many say this albums picks up where Van Halen leaves off. Greg does some great work; he is perfectly supported by bass virtuoso Billy Sheehan and guitar virtuoso Steve Vai. I really consider this to be a "supergroup", and the album is absolutely amazing.

- Marc
Old 03-27-2006, 04:33 PM
mlehnertz

Well, let me roll up on to the sidewalk and take a look. Whoa...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambian89
If you wanna see some great work by Greg, check out "Eat 'Em and Smile" by David Lee Roth. Roth recorded this album after he left Van Halen; many say this albums picks up where Van Halen leaves off. Greg does some great work; he is perfectly supported by bass virtuoso Billy Sheehan and guitar virtuoso Steve Vai. I really consider this to be a "supergroup", and the album is absolutely amazing.

- Marc
Old 03-27-2006, 10:46 PM

Trust me, this album rules.

On the other hand, I really liked the "Texas Shuffle" that Greg played on the video on this site. 'Twas cool.

- Marc
Old 03-28-2006, 06:34 AM

I can only concur what has been said about Greg .Again like alot of you i went to a clinic that he held here in NZ he was so humble.His clinic was the breakdown of the beatles music and he played right through the many styles they encroached on .............................it was to say one of the best clinics I have been to and then he took 45 minutes of questions and gave lots of advice and a couple of great stories.He had just come from working with Carlos Santana and was on fire.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:40 AM
Pioneer Member

I've actually only gotten into Gregg Bissonette recently. He is an excellent drummer and the video of him on this site playing tony williams is awesome! is that a 18 inch bass drum he's playing?
Old 03-31-2006, 07:53 PM

I am lucky enough to know Gregg for almost 17 years. He has been my biggest influence and favorite drummer for almost 20 years. About 9 months after I made the effort to meet him I got the oppourtunity to set up his drums (may-oct 1990,91&92) at local jazz clubs, studio sessions and other things in exchange for lessons. To me It could not get any better than that. Most of time I would sit 10 feet away and watch him all night. Usualy 9-1:30. When it came to lessons we did what I wanted at lessons but it was mostly about timing, beat dissplacement stuff and double bass feet and hand patterns. I also learned alot without extra lessons from watching him so much over the years. There are drummers that have faster feet and hands or that are in to crazy independence stuff but when it comes down to it he is one of the greatest ALL AROUND drummers there is. My favorite without question. I saw him two weeks ago and I am just as happy to see him now as I was 17 years ago. So if you have the oppourtunity to see him live..DO IT!! You wont be dissapointed. He is a nice guy, funny and very approachable. And if he has the time he will answer any questions you ask him.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:44 PM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlehnertz
Well, let me roll up on to the sidewalk and take a look. Whoa...
Are you talking about a Yankee Rose?
Old 04-01-2006, 12:02 AM
mlehnertz

And she looks wild...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
Are you talking about a Yankee Rose?
Old 04-01-2006, 12:06 AM
mlehnertz

I first saw him in 1982 or 1983 when he was gigging with Maynard Ferguson. I got to catch him twice with Maynard. I then saw him with David Lee Roth. I'm trying to remember who was playing drums for Joe Satriani. More than likely it would have been Jonathan Mover.

Gregg Bissonette was the primary reason I bought Yamaha drums. He had that gorgeous natural wood set of Recording Customs with Ferguson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeybbdrummin
I am lucky enough to know Gregg for almost 17 years. He has been my biggest influence and favorite drummer for almost 20 years. About 9 months after I made the effort to meet him I got the oppourtunity to set up his drums (may-oct 1990,91&92) at local jazz clubs, studio sessions and other things in exchange for lessons. To me It could not get any better than that. Most of time I would sit 10 feet away and watch him all night. Usualy 9-1:30. When it came to lessons we did what I wanted at lessons but it was mostly about timing, beat dissplacement stuff and double bass feet and hand patterns. I also learned alot without extra lessons from watching him so much over the years. There are drummers that have faster feet and hands or that are in to crazy independence stuff but when it comes down to it he is one of the greatest ALL AROUND drummers there is. My favorite without question. I saw him two weeks ago and I am just as happy to see him now as I was 17 years ago. So if you have the oppourtunity to see him live..DO IT!! You wont be dissapointed. He is a nice guy, funny and very approachable. And if he has the time he will answer any questions you ask him.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlehnertz
I first saw him in 1982 or 1983 when he was gigging with Maynard Ferguson. I got to catch him twice with Maynard. I then saw him with David Lee Roth. I'm trying to remember who was playing drums for Joe Satriani. More than likely it would have been Jonathan Mover.

Gregg Bissonette was the primary reason I bought Yamaha drums. He had that gorgeous natural wood set of Recording Customs with Ferguson.

I saw him 3 times w/DLR. E&S tour, Skyscraper tour and at a dress rehearsal w/about 50 people when A Little Aint Enough came out. And also a lot of jazz clubs.
As far as I know it was Mover. Gregg was the reason I bought my Pearl kit 10 years ago.
And because he plays Mapex I have looked in to them and like the features of the Pro M studio kit (especially the legless 16 in floortom) and thats what im going to get soon. Emerald Green.

Last edited by mikeybbdrummin; 04-02-2006 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer_Boy
Nah hes not self-taught he went to school in Texas and hes studied with Tony Williams....

Anyways I finally got his DVD and must say hes really gotten good...I had his old DCI video and the way hes progressed with his Latin playin is unbelievable....He doesn't sound like a rocker tryin to fake a Latin groove anymore - real authentic sounding....

He comes across as a real humble - comical guy and I really like the way he continually pays homage to Tony throughout the DVD....
Old 04-07-2006, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinearDrummer
Nah hes not self-taught he went to school in Texas and hes studied with Tony Williams....

Anyways I finally got his DVD and must say hes really gotten good...I had his old DCI video and the way hes progressed with his Latin playin is unbelievable....He doesn't sound like a rocker tryin to fake a Latin groove anymore - real authentic sounding....

He comes across as a real humble - comical guy and I really like the way he continually pays homage to Tony throughout the DVD....
His new DVD is very good. Covers alot of different styles.
I have seen Gregg many, many times. Mostly from 90-93 at both Baked Potato's, Lave Le, Cafe Cordiale, Le Cafe and other places with incredible musicians including percussionists and I have never heard anyone refer to him as a "Rock Drummer" fakeing a Latin Player. The musicians he played w/at that time 15 years ago I dont think would settle for a drummer that had to "Fake" their way through any part of the music.
I believe the DCI video your refering to came out in 1990. Right after I met him and saw him at all the places I mentioned.
Also he played the same stuff on the Buddy Rich Memorial in Oct. 89 in his solo .........................didnt look fake to me.
Just thought I would throw in my two cents.

Mikey B
IM me on MSN @ mikeybbdrummin@hotmail.com
OR Email me @ mikeybbdrummin@yahoo.com

Last edited by mikeybbdrummin; 04-08-2006 at 01:25 AM.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:02 AM
da cheese walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambian89

- Marc
"Eat Em An Smile" is brilliant!!Ah my band do a cover of "Yankee Rose" and were learning "Shyboy"....the band have it down but the fact is i dont have a double bass pedal so i cant play it!!

brillinat album!brilliant band! Brilliant drummer!!

"Submarine" is also insane!!
Old 04-08-2006, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by da cheese walks
"Eat Em An Smile" is brilliant!!Ah my band do a cover of "Yankee Rose" and were learning "Shyboy"....the band have it down but the fact is i dont have a double bass pedal so i cant play it!!

brillinat album!brilliant band! Brilliant drummer!!

"Submarine" is also insane!!
"Shyboy" is a fun song to play. If you dont have a double pedal another cool song to play off that album is "Bump & Grind" also "Ladies Night in Buffalo" w/a very cool guitar solo.

Mikey B
Old 04-08-2006, 03:27 PM

My fave song to play by Gregg with DLR is Skyscraper. There is a fill after the 2nd bridge that is awesome.

"My Doctor says I need to take a LAXATIVE!"
"Not in my store you dont!"
Old 04-10-2006, 02:13 AM
da cheese walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeybbdrummin
"Shyboy" is a fun song to play. If you dont have a double pedal another cool song to play off that album is "Bump & Grind" also "Ladies Night in Buffalo" w/a very cool guitar solo.
ah yes!!!the guitar solo is brilliant....good old Steve Vai....man i love that guy!!

Shyboy is great fun to play....my guitarist an bassist have the best crack ever doing it!!!yknow the whole guitar 6 finger tapping bit near the end?well my bassist does it with the guitarist an just everything about the song blows people away when we play it!!
Old 04-10-2006, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by da cheese walks
ah yes!!!the guitar solo is brilliant....good old Steve Vai....man i love that guy!!

Shyboy is great fun to play....my guitarist an bassist have the best crack ever doing it!!!yknow the whole guitar 6 finger tapping bit near the end?well my bassist does it with the guitarist an just everything about the song blows people away when we play it!!
You should check out Whitesnakes "Slip of the tongue" CD. Vai on guitar and Tommy Aldridge on drums. I think its a good Cd.
You would probably like it................since you "love that guy".

Mikey B
Old 04-11-2006, 01:54 AM
da cheese walks

yeah man ive heard it....i like it...!haha!but im not so into whitesnake!!(in my opinion theyre a bit...eh i dunno...corny?!!!)but i do love Vai....my guitarist introduced me to Vai about 7 months ago....ive watched "live at the astoria" over 20 times now thorugh and through!!absolutley brilliant!!!

especially Virgil Donatis solo....awww lovely!!!Vai is an incredible guitar player, and hes worked with so many incredible musicians.....!I love pretty much everything hes on!!i mean his stuff with Zappa....!amazing!(Zappa is the greatest!!!!!!)

Sex & Religions a great album....i especially like "Pig" and "Survive"!brilliance!!
Old 04-11-2006, 02:03 AM
Silver Member

"Hot Dog & A Shake" from DLR's "Skyscraper" album is a fun one to play along with too.