DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 03-28-2018, 03:48 PM

Default Double bass practice issue

Hey.

I'm trying to hone my faster playing technique by doing bursts of double time while playing a constant beat of 16th notes on double pedals. I use floating foot, I think (LOL) but it's all just trying to learn how to be comfortable playing
while getting gradually faster at the same time, so I'm trying to implement swiveling because it's the most economic thing to do while going over 200 bpm. That's the way it seems to me.

Should I back off the bpm and start again at slower tempos and build back up or something like that?
Old 03-28-2018, 04:07 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Double bass practice issue

I thkn any time you start working on new technique you should go slow rnough to do it perfectly, or as well as you can wih your current understanding and level with it.

If you really want to push yourself past levels of exhaustion do it and the end of your practice.

Don't practice in a way that teaches you to do things wrong.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:35 PM
Platinum Member

If you have to ask, the answer is yes.

I have never heard of the "floating foot" technique... There is heel up, or heel down.... heel up just means it is not resting on the pedal. It doesn't look like your wearing a high heel.

As in all drumming, if it isn't 100%, slow it down until it is. Make sure you can do it for a long period and speed it up about 1 BPM at a time. It takes YEARS to get good solid clean double bass. It takes YEARS to become good at drums. It isn't a race.

99% or so of all drummers learn something partially and then try and blaze it as fast as they can. Practicing sloppy will just teach you how to play sloppy.

Work on real strokes, no heel toe, no swivel until you can keep consistent hits. Heel toe which I use should only be played at high tempos once your singles are very good or you will miss out on the techniques and endurance gained learning them. I will never do swivel after hearing how many guys have destroyed their knees and ankles using that technique, but to each their own.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondbetrayal View Post
I will never do swivel after hearing how many guys have destroyed their knees and ankles using that technique, but to each their own.
It's called "floating foot" because I'm shitty with every technique.

What do you mean destroyed their knees and ankles? How does swiveling damage them?
Old 03-29-2018, 04:38 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJKK View Post
It's called "floating foot" because I'm shitty with every technique.

What do you mean destroyed their knees and ankles? How does swiveling damage them?
Swiveling stresses the knees if the motion is too far from side to side.

Quote:
Should I back off the bpm and start again at slower tempos and build back up or something like that?
I would practice at about 180 bpm instead of 200 (for now). For me, that's about 30 bpm above the point where I transition from leg motion to ankle motion. It's a really comfortable speed to work on muscle memory.

200 BPM is actually more work for me than 250, because at 200 I'm using a pure ankle motion, whereas at about 230 and above I start to incorporate very subtle Moeller type motions that make very high speed quite easy.

On a side note, I've recently discovered that working on speed one foot at a time really boosted my double bass speed and endurance.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud7h4 View Post
On a side note, I've recently discovered that working on speed one foot at a time boosted my double bass speed and endurance.
Absolutely. The best thing for my double bass control when I started doing this.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:22 PM
Platinum Member

Yup. long periods at about 70% of your max is better than little bursts at 100% or 110% where you get sloppy.

I'll make sure I can hold it for 10 minutes. If I can't, slow it down. Once it's easy and clean up it until the last 30 seconds start to burn. Builds endurance, speed, and clean playing. Muscle memory doesn't happen in short little bursts of twitching.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:50 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud7h4 View Post
I've recently discovered that working on speed one foot at a time really boosted my double bass speed and endurance.
Often I'll drop the hi hat clutch and use my left foot for an entire practice session. I found the slave pedal doesn't respond as well as the main, but a simple tightening of the spring solves that.