DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 02-26-2018, 03:09 PM

Default Remote hi hat stand advice / questions

Hi all

I just got my first rack system and can finally get my toms exactly where I want them. That got me thinking about my hi hat stand. I always have a small conflict with where I need to place the hat pedal due to the double base stance I like to use. I have no problem using the hat pedal in this position but it puts the hats themselves in an ok put not perfect place for my liking. I was wondering for those with remote hats if you feel they work and feel the same as a traditional stand or are there some drawbacks? What would you recommend that you have used that won't break the bank. Or are there other solutions that I haven't thought about.

Thanks
Old 02-28-2018, 08:56 PM
MasterBlaster

Default Re: Remote hi hat stand advice / questions

Does no one have an answer for this fellow?

Does a remote hi-hat feel the same to your foot? The action? Smooth? Responsive?

I'm really intrigued with being able to put the pedal and the head in different positions.

Anyone???
Old 02-28-2018, 09:18 PM

There are several threads about it. In general you'll find they are not as responsive. In reality the sluggish-ness is not a big deal for me. It's close enough for what I play. The bigger problem is getting used to the hats in a certain position, then going to a rehearsal studio or playing a house kit and having to go back to a standard position.

If you do get a remote, the DW is worth the extra $ because you can remove the cable. That's a big deal for transporting.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:27 PM
MasterBlaster

I searched and the OP's thread was the first one that popped up.

I won't be moving it my hihat.

Does a shorter cable work better? Or is that not an option...
Old 03-01-2018, 06:00 AM
Platinum Member

They work good for an extra hat, the response is laggy to me.

I just cant get behind them. I bought one a bit ago and sold it as it was more of a hassle to me.

To each their own though.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:14 AM
MasterBlaster

So that's one vote for laggy?

It sounds like something I can do w/o.

Thanks!
Old 03-01-2018, 03:06 PM
Platinum Member

In terms of having the hats in the "traditional" spot (to the left of the snare), I'm wondering if the positioning of a remote of a remote hi hat would be that much better than a 2-legged hi-hat stand that swivels. They also make those hi-hat stands that mount to the rim of a kick drum as well.

I don't think they are making these any more, but this might be an option as well:

Here's the Amazon ad.

https://www.amazon.com/Gibraltar-970.../dp/B005SUW9G0
Old 03-01-2018, 03:31 PM
MasterBlaster

That is one interesting looking piece of gear!
Old 03-02-2018, 02:09 AM

Hi, thanks for keeping the thread alive. I am worried about the sluggishness. Maybe be good to find a used one first and see how it goes. DW 's are $$$ are tamas or pearls any better/same/worse.

Thanks Pork Pie, the Gibraltar stand below caught my attention too. it would definitely solve the problem but almost every review I read said they worked awesome for a bit and then within a year became unplayable or the cable broke. Maybe why they are discontinued. Does anyone know of another company that has made an attempt at something like this?
Old 03-02-2018, 03:27 AM
MasterBlaster

I would imagine one could order it and try it out?

Keep it pristine in case you need to send it back?
Old 03-03-2018, 05:48 AM
Silver Member

I use a DW 9000 remote hi hat. Took a while to get used to. They are not as quick as your stand hi hat, but i wanted mine on the right side rather than left so I could move quickly to my ride. Now I'm used to it and in the 3 years of use, absolutely no problem. As for shorter cable reducing sluggishness I don't know, but makes sense that it would since there's no coiling but rather a more direct link to the pedal.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:18 AM
Platinum Member

Let me get this straight: so your double bass drum stance is wide, which pushes your hi-hats farther away than you'd like, correct?

If this is indeed the case, have you tried putting your hi-hat on the inside of the slave bass drum pedal? That would bring your cymbals closer in, but you keep the wide width of your double bass pedals. Or would that not work?

I've seen several pros do this, namely Bill Ward does this. His slave bass drum pedal is on the outside of his hi-hat pedal and it seems to make sense since he's not using double bass all the time.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:17 PM

Thanks Bo,

I have tried that and it worked well when I played with my last band that required a lot less double bass. It's a first world problem of small measurements, also in the distance to me forward and back wise. Just not quite right if you know what I mean. I once had an old stand that I cut one leg off and attached to a cymbal stand for support. This let me tip the stand in to the spot I wanted it. Not perfect either because the hats were not exactly level.

Plus I though a remote might be fun to try other setups like putting the hats in the middle as I have seen some here do, or over on the right by the ride like johnwesley mentioned below.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerendrad View Post
Thanks Bo,

I have tried that and it worked well when I played with my last band that required a lot less double bass. It's a first world problem of small measurements, also in the distance to me forward and back wise. Just not quite right if you know what I mean. I once had an old stand that I cut one leg off and attached to a cymbal stand for support. This let me tip the stand in to the spot I wanted it. Not perfect either because the hats were not exactly level.

Plus I though a remote might be fun to try other setups like putting the hats in the middle as I have seen some here do, or over on the right by the ride like johnwesley mentioned below.
I also had a cable hat so I could do the Bill Bruford thing of having it dead center in front of me, and I loved it. Definitely changed how I played. But it also proved to me to be a PITA. Since I play out in a lot of small venues where having a band is an afterthought, taking the time to bring one and set one up was difficult at best. And then transporting a cable hat around I thought a bigger hassle than it was worth, so I stopped doing it. Iím a single pedal player so I donít have a lot of adjustment going on.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkidd053 View Post
There are several threads about it.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...mote+Speedy+HH

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...=REMOTE+SPEEDY

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...rchid=15003392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I also had a cable hat so I could do the Bill Bruford thing of having it dead center in front of me, and I loved it. Definitely changed how I played. But it also proved to me to be a PITA. Since I play out in a lot of small venues where having a band is an afterthought, taking the time to bring one and set one up was difficult at best. And then transporting a cable hat around I thought a bigger hassle than it was worth, so I stopped doing it. Iím a single pedal player so I donít have a lot of adjustment going on.

Yup, and the problem you create for yourself with exotic gear, it doesn't exist in the wild, or rarely sighted. Its why I went from a long board exotic BD pedal to a garden variety chain drive, you can find one on every street corner and just about every country store.

A fellow DRUMMERWORLD forum member created a solution, he called it the REMOTE SPEEDY HH. He either got a visit from the men in black, or ran out of money, or....?

Don't know what happened to the REMOTE SPEEDY. When I was finally ready to throw down, nothing but crickets.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:45 PM

That's good advice, I do have to play house kits sometimes and getting used to them quickly is a learned skill, but I can see having issues if one got really used to a centre mount hi hat.

Thanks for the thread links I'll check them out.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:32 PM

I ended up getting the Pearl remote that went right in my tom holder on my bass. It's not a remote, just a stationary hihat that you set. It's great.