DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-06-2018, 02:20 AM

Default Is it acceptable to audition for multiple groups/bands?

Iím currently in high school, in my 3rd year. I was thinking of auditioning for the jazz fm 91 big band but in case i donít get accepted, maybe i could get accepted for other bands/groups. Is it considered rude or unacceptable to get accepted for a band and then decline, if you have the opportunity to join the one you were mainly hoping for?
Old 03-06-2018, 02:30 AM
Banned

Default Re: Is it acceptable to audition for multiple groups/bands?

Go where your sticks lead you.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:34 AM
Administrator - Mayor

I would audition for both and feel grateful if you were selected for both. That would then be the decision, to pick the one you like best. Gigs are gard to come btt.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:35 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Note - you said both "in case I donít get accepted" and "Is it considered rude or unacceptable to get accepted for a band and then decline..." Those are two different things.

I don't know if it's unacceptable, you can certainly do what you want. Rude? Probably. Uncool? Very.

Honestly, why would you audition for something you don't actually want? Auditioning is not a sport. It's not a chance to hone your skills. And, when you turn something down once you've been accepted, you will never get another audition with them. Word gets around... fast.

You wouldn't interview for a job that you don't actually want, would you?

Bermuda
Old 03-06-2018, 04:12 AM
Silver Member

Sure it is acceptable. Not rude. Not uncool.

When I was putting a band together like 90% of the people coming over to audition were either already in other bands or were checking out several other bands and opportunities and I found out none of it until I made them offers. It seems a generally accepted practice for musicians.

And why not: when I'm looking for another "day" job I put my resume out to as many companies as possible and try to get as many interviews as possible. Same thing.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:17 AM
Banned

And there you go.

Follow your inner sticks.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlin' Bones View Post
And why not: when I'm looking for another "day" job I put my resume out to as many companies as possible and try to get as many interviews as possible. Same thing.
Absolutely line-up as many interviews as you can. But when someone calls back and says you've got the job, do you then turn it down?

Is that something new with today's younger workforce? When I was managing and hiring, and someone interviewed and I told them they got the job for which they came to me, I expected them to take it. If they didn't, I wouldn't have interviewed them again (however, they always took the job.)

Relationships are important, and conducting one's self in a professional manner at all times and in every dynamic, is important. The OP is young, and there's no better time to start on that path.

Bermuda
Old 03-06-2018, 04:55 AM

I don't have experience with bands (yet), but I disagree with Jon w/ regards to work. It is very common to interview, get an offer, and decline. The employee is interviewing the employer as well. If it doesn't seem like a good fit, if you get a bad vibe from the potential boss, if the money and/or benefits aren't up to par, if another company offered better - all reasons why the candidate might decline an offer. Just as a potential employer might decline a potential candidate after an interview. Is it rude to offer an interview and then decline to hire? No. So why would it be rude the other way around? As long as you don't string them along and make it seem like you are ready to accept and then flip flop.

Interviewing and applying for colleges and grad school is similar. I was accepted to both Stanford and Berkeley for my masters studies. I chose the one that offered funding, declined the other. I was in the minority in that I ONLY applied to 2 schools. Most people were applying to many colleges. So why should interviewing for a band be any different?
Old 03-06-2018, 05:03 AM

I should clarify; Iím not saying that the other options other than auditioning for jazz fm 91 are ones that I donít want to audition for. Itís just that jazz fm 91 is the one i would want to get the most.

What is the consensus? I just want to be sure so that I donít come across as a jerk to other people.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmcd View Post
It is very common to interview, get an offer, and decline. The employee is interviewing the employer as well.
Of course. But I'm talking about interviewing/auditioning without the intention of following through. That's uncool and hurts the person's reputation.

Only go for the job/band you want or at least are willing to accept.

Bermuda
Old 03-06-2018, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Of course. But I'm talking about interviewing/auditioning without the intention of following through. That's uncool and hurts the person's reputation.

Only go for the job/band you want or at least are willing to accept.

Bermuda
Well, yeah, but willing to accept under the right circumstances. One can go in knowing that they might not accept as long as they also might accept.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:50 AM

Yeah I disagree as well... *ESPECIALLY* with music. Unlike a lot of other professional careers, the job 'details' with a music gig are extremely vague ahead of time, and more importantly, can be solely dictated by the personalities at hand.

I want all my clients to be happy, and I don't take a job where I feel like they won't get their moneys worth. If I get to an audition and I just don't gel with them *at all* (i.e.: the dude is a complete dick), I will respectfully turn it down, because it's not worth the mental anguish and more importantly, they won't be happy with the result. This isn't something I would have had any way of knowing ahead of time, practically speaking.

So yeah... it's not rude to do, but as others have said, at least have a reasonable intent of following through if the variables line up.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmcd View Post
Well, yeah, but willing to accept under the right circumstances. One can go in knowing that they might not accept as long as they also might accept.
What? Wasn't the audition where all the cards are laid out on the table? That's usually how it works in a job interview, no?

I agree that maybe things aren't said in an audition situation that you find out later, especially in music, but that's where clear communication skills need to be honed by both employer and employee. I'm assuming they were clear enough to attract your attention to want to audition. If you actually got the gig, then I would follow through with it.

That is, of course, if you don't want to appear uncool, and then have those people tell their friends, who in turn tell their friends, that they've met a guy who likes to audition, but turns them down if they want to hire him.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
What? Wasn't the audition where all the cards are laid out on the table? That's usually how it works in a job interview, no?

I agree that maybe things aren't said in an audition situation that you find out later, especially in music, but that's where clear communication skills need to be honed by both employer and employee. I'm assuming they were clear enough to attract your attention to want to audition. If you actually got the gig, then I would follow through with it.
Exactly. Bo gets it.

Let me explain my perspective and experiences, and not from my primary, fairly high-profile gig. I've been in several bands in the last 40+ years. All were hopeful groups and artists trying to get noticed and further their career, which I believe is what most musicians want. I'm still a full member in a few fairly long term bands, 7, 13 and 37 years respectively (and that's not including the Al gig.)

I don't think I've formally auditioned for a band in probably 35 years. But I've been involved in the process with these bands where auditions are occasionally held for other players. Without fail, someone who auditions, wins the audition, and then bails, never gets called back again for the group. I personally write them off as well when asked if I can recommend someone.

Are there reasons that someone joins a band and leaves later? Of course. Everyone should want to grow and move forward, and that often involves moving to another group, or even going solo. But winning an audition is a commitment, and that's important. There's no reason to do an audition for a group that you don't want to work with.

Bermuda
Old 03-06-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
I should clarify; Iím not saying that the other options other than auditioning for jazz fm 91 are ones that I donít want to audition for. Itís just that jazz fm 91 is the one i would want to get the most.
Then audition for that one first. If it doesn't work out, go to the secondary band.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:27 PM
Silver Member

I am 62 and an executive. Any coaching on job hunting encourages you to send as many resumes out as possible and work work work for interviews. That's your "job" when job hunting. It's your livelihood and means of support you're impacting. Doing one interview and then waiting weeks or months for a response is ridiculous.

As an employer, respond quickly (within a week) and make a reasonable offer in order to avoid candidate turning you down. Typically in today's world the hiring process for a large company is long and protracted.

Quote:
Absolutely line-up as many interviews as you can. But when someone calls back and says you've got the job, do you then turn it down?

Is that something new with today's younger workforce? When I was managing and hiring, and someone interviewed and I told them they got the job for which they came to me, I expected them to take it. If they didn't, I wouldn't have interviewed them again (however, they always took the job.)

Relationships are important, and conducting one's self in a professional manner at all times and in every dynamic, is important. The OP is young, and there's no better time to start on that path.

Bermuda
Old 03-06-2018, 02:29 PM
Platinum Member

Eh, it's fine. You're what, 17? Audition for whomever you'd like. You may find that you like the band more after you get to know who's in charge of it, or, you may learn that the band is headed in a new direction, etc. Big bands are increasingly rare these days, and they're great experience for reading charts and meeting other players.

Quote:
if you have the opportunity to join the one you were mainly hoping for?
You're opinion about the bands could change. Right now you'd prefer the big band, but you don't really know enough about the other groups to make an informed decision, right? So go do the auditions. It's fine. They're (presumably) auditioning many drummers, so you are free to audition many bands. Be honest and open; it's okay to make it known that you are auditioning with more than one group. If a bandleader is disappointed by this, that's their issue, not yours.

Quote:
Auditioning is not a sport. It's not a chance to hone your skills.
For a young musician, there is a lot to be learned by going through the audition process. Being personable, and playing well, while under pressure, should be practiced.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:24 PM
Gold Member

As a division manager I am very involved in the interviewing and hiring process. The people we bring in are usually recent engineering school graduates, most of whom have interned with us or one of our sister organizations. Even in this environment, where candidates have interned with us for months, we understand that many of them will not accept our offer. We even have specific questions we ask candidates who take employment elsewhere. Its part of the deal, talented people have options, and we want talented people to work for us.

When I moved to Connecticut I tried out for 4 different bands before I finally joined one. I would have been happy in any of the 4, but I was looking for the best fit. I believe only a desperate person jumps at the first opportunity that comes around. I will say it did not hurt my reputation, if anything it helped me make friends in the local scene. There is no animosity, no hurt-feelings, and nothing is taken personally. I respect them, and they respect me, and we meet at shows and have a beer.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:27 PM
Platinum Member

I think it's great that people will post a sample of their tunes online so that you can audition them , in a sense, before deciding to audition for them. That way nobody is wasting nobody's time.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:17 PM

I would say it depends...
If I'm reading correctly, the big band is more an educational program which changes over each year, than a "band". Are the other bands you'd 've interested in along the same lines? If so, then it's just like auditioning for schools. You do as many auditions as you can and choose your best option from where you get accepted.

If the other bands are not, I have 2 lines of thinking:

If you know what these other bands are about and know the people and basically what you'd be getting into, I wouldn't audition for them unless you plan on accepting it. OR, as others have stated, just be VERY CLEAR UP FRONT that you're auditioning around and not sure who you'd want to go with. Most likely, this will be a turn off and they will tell you to never mind, but at least that would negate the possibility of any misunderstanding and nobody would waste anyone's time. And you never know, maybe they're fine with it.

If you're talking about answering Craigslist ads for auditions where something may peak your interest but the situation, level of the other musicians, and prospects for the future are vague, then I say go for it and not worry too much. I had a couple situations like this where I showed up for an audition and it was clear that I was going to spend too much time and frustration while they figured out how to do things like count 4 bars or figure out what key they were playing in, and I decided it just wasn't worth my time, despite their strong desire to have me there. I felt a little bad about it, but I was actually quite proud of myself for recognizing my value and the value of my time for once.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member

Its basically a job. Everybody applies for multiple jobs. You are looking for something, you hit the street and go out and apply for job(s)...plural. Increasing your sample size, increases chance of success.
If you get offered one and its not your thing, you move on, and the band you applied to also moves on to the next on their list.
Interviews are both ways, you interview employer, and the employer interviews you. Everybody knows there are no promises.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
I think it's great that people will post a sample of their tunes online so that you can audition them , in a sense, before deciding to audition for them. That way nobody is wasting nobody's time.
Gotta be careful nowadays with the studio magic that's so easy in the digital world. Still agree, but I have been fooled by recordings that didn't represent live or typical playing.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:18 PM
Platinum Member

As far as I am concerned the only no no is to accept the spot and then bail.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
As far as I am concerned the only no no is to accept the spot and then bail.
That's what I've been trying to explain.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:53 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

occasionally held for other players. Without fail, someone who auditions, wins the audition, and then bails.

Are there reasons that someone joins a band and leaves later? Of course. Everyone should want to grow and move forward, and that often involves moving to another group, or even going solo. But winning an audition is a commitment, and that's important. There's no reason to do an audition for a group that you don't want to work with.

Bermuda
You have an issue with people declining an offer without reason, and then applying your distaste for that to reasonable offer declines.

Sure, giving an offer and receiving a "No thanks." is lame. Giving an offer and having the guy say they found another band, or they didn't like the group dynamic for whatever reason (drinking, drugs, politics, whatever) should be completely acceptable.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:03 PM
Silver Member

Go for as many interviews / auditions as you like ..... companies / bands don't just interview one candidate and to think they do is being naive ... they likely to interview a number of candidates / musicians over a period of time and offer the role to the one they think is not just the best but also the one that's most likely to fit in.

An interview and an audition are a fact finding mission for both sides, you may have only been given brief details about the role and it's your opportunity to find out more about it.

The role you may have had doubts about beforehand, as the interview / audition progresses you find out more about it you may say WOW .... I didn't realise you were doing that and yes I'm definitely in!
Flip side the one you really wanted pre audition you may meet the manager / vocalist / guitarist and think they're a complete D*&- and could never work with them ... or that was our old demo you heard we're now doing something totally different which you're really not into.

If you make someone an offer and they don't accept find out why and learn from it, there may be a good reason .... to get churlish and say I'd never work with them / audition them in the future is cutting your nose to spite your face and in my opinion a playground response to rejection.

Flip side if you don't get offered the job find out why, from that you can improve on where you went wrong or what skills you didn't have and maybe go and learn them ... someone once gave me some feedback on a job I really wanted and hadn't been offered .... WHY they didn't offer it to me. It was one of the best pieces of advice I ever had and learnt a massive lesson from it that not only helped me with every subsequent interview but also how to be more effective in my job.

At the end of the day you want the best musicians / staff, stay in contact with them, the other job or band may not work out or you may find out the reason they said no to you is x, y or z, maybe you can easily change them to a, b or c and then everybody's happy and you've got the best and happiest people working / playing alongside you.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:12 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
Interviews are both ways, you interview employer, and the employer interviews you.
So many people don't understand this, they think it's just if the employer likes you and it's not.
The clever and more successful people go to interview and ask questions and delve to find out if the role is something they really want and how it'll progress their career and if it won't offer them the opportunity they're looking for they don't take it ... these are normally the people that will get multiple offers and will take the one that's best for them .... I've done recruitment for 20 years.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:14 PM
Silver Member

I've had a zillion guitar, bass, keyboard, and various other players come through my basement to audition and jam for spots in bands. Most of them declined offers because they were in other bands already and didn't want to make a change. I had no prior knowledge they were in another band. I was disappointed but hey it's just like a job search like if they had another job and were looking for a new job. They had a band gig already and were looking for another gig.

In business it's called recruitment, not procurement.

Do as many auditions/interviews as you can and if you get an offer make sure its a good fit for you; part of any job interview or music audition is determining if the position/job/band is a good fit for you, too.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

You wouldn't interview for a job that you don't actually want, would you?

Bermuda

I've probably worked on a half dozen or so hiring committees in higher education.

You would be VERY surprised at the amount of people who interview who aren't interested in a position.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:32 PM
Silver Member

I must be missing something here? I thought this was a Junior in HIGH SCHOOL auditioning for different bands at school---I must have misread something!
Old 03-07-2018, 05:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
You would be VERY surprised at the amount of people who interview who aren't interested in a position.
Why do they interview? Do they have to answer to someone or meet some weekly quota, like when drawing unemployment?

Why do they waste their time?
Old 03-07-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPockets View Post
You have an issue with people declining an offer without reason, and then applying your distaste for that to reasonable offer declines.
I know the difference.

I'm saying that auditioning for a band that you don't really want to be in is uncool, as well as a waste of everyone's time.

Bermuda
Old 03-07-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
I just don't get that, either from the POV of the applicant, or the person hiring. I've been both.

Bermuda
Old 03-07-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlin' Bones View Post
Do as many auditions/interviews as you can and if you get an offer make sure its a good fit for you; part of any job interview or music audition is determining if the position/job/band is a good fit for you, too.
I know the process works both ways and there are things learned only after the applicant shows up. I'm saying that it's uncool to apply for a position without the intent of taking it.

How messed up would it be for a band to hold auditions for a position that wasn't available? Yeah, I know Zappa did that all the time, and he didn't earn any respect for it.

Bermuda
Old 03-07-2018, 08:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Why do they interview? Do they have to answer to someone or meet some weekly quota, like when drawing unemployment?

Why do they waste their time?

Quote:
I just don't get that, either from the POV of the applicant, or the person hiring. I've been both.

Bermuda
Maybe the person got a bad vibe from the hiring committee or something, I don't know. It's crazy though. I'm actually in the middle of this sort of scenario right now, but I don't
Old 03-07-2018, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I've probably worked on a half dozen or so hiring committees in higher education.

Haha, I've done the same, and its true some are just 'shopping', but they have a right to shop. The trick is to invite ones who are sincere to the interview. For every 100 that are just shopping, there are another 200 who are VERY interested in the job.
The kicker is this - somebody who really shows interest in a job, will ask lots of questions of the interviewer/employer, not just sit and be interviewed and talk about themselves.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Haha, I've done the same, and its true some are just 'shopping', but they have a right to shop.
I have the absolute right to waste anyone's time, I mean, there's no law against it. However, it's a really, really douche-y thing to do.

Quote:
The trick is to invite ones who are sincere to the interview.
There's no way to know this. If you ask, they will all say "Yeah, I really want it!" but they could be lying through their teeth.

Quote:
The kicker is this - somebody who really shows interest in a job, will ask lots of questions of the interviewer/employer, not just sit and be interviewed and talk about themselves.
I agree. I used to think that the phrase "Good help is hard to find" was just a phrase, but I have learned that it is the honest truth.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Gotta be careful nowadays with the studio magic that's so easy in the digital world. Still agree, but I have been fooled by recordings that didn't represent live or typical playing.
Ain't that the truth, but I'm looking for a good vibe and music that gels with me. If I go to an audition, it would be an audition with a band that interests me musically. For me, the audition is to see how I gel with the band and the bass player. If I catch a bad vibe, I won't be returning.

I only go to auditions for bands I would want to play with. Mostly, on my level, when I go to an audition, I usually get the job. That's why I have to be careful who I audition for. I'd hate to jump ship a couple months into it. It's not fair to anyone involved.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
..I'm assuming they were clear enough to attract your attention to want to audition. If you actually got the gig, then I would follow through with it..

Thats a little a weak argument in my opinion, since that attention went both ways, otherwise someone would not be invited to audition..Then you could also say that the band is mandatory to hire the guy if he is able to play the parts, because why else invite him..

I can perfectly imagine a situation were during an audition the band gets more enthousiastic and the drummer gets much less enthousiastic..

Then why would be 'uncool' if the drummer says that he changed his mind, while maybe the band decided in the same time to hire him..?
Old 03-07-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskoolsoul View Post
Thats a little a weak argument in my opinion, since that attention went both ways, otherwise someone would not be invited to audition..Then you could also say that the band is mandatory to hire the guy if he is able to play the parts, because why else invite him..
I would suggest that if the drummer auditions and is accepted, it's incumbent upon him to accept. Why else would he show up in the first place?

I know that things are revealed during the audition that may not be appealing - on either side. But I'm talking about going through the audition process without the intent of following through. Why do that? I don't know if that's somehow fun for the player, but it's a complete waste of the band's time. I've been on the band side of things for a long time, and they're not amused by those types.

Bermuda