DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:24 PM
Platinum Member

Default Do You Drum While Not Drumming?

I am constantly drumming when I'm not behind my kit. I find myself always working on sticking, rhythms, timing, etc. I think it's at a subconscious level at this point and my mind is always playing the drums. It's really strange to be engaged in an activity that isn't music related only to be momentarily interrupted by a drum groove.

If these random drumming thoughts were noticeable, people would think that I'm totally nuts!
Old 03-05-2018, 09:28 PM

Default Re: Do You Drum While Not Drumming?

You're not the only one for sure. I got a finger rudiment exercise that helps me with dexterity. That transfers to how my fingers control the sticks. Very useful AND I can do it all while just sitting at my desk. :-)
Old 03-05-2018, 10:01 PM

All the time - even without music playing. I'm tapping out KRL as I type this.

Let me explain this once more..
Snares are like handbags,
Cymbals are like shoes!
Old 03-05-2018, 10:49 PM
Platinum Member

It does not ever stop. Rhythm fever. Gotta make more.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:57 PM

All the damn time.
It drives people nuts.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:05 PM

I'm pretty new to drums, but I'm starting to.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:16 AM
Platinum Member

My wife says I drum in my sleep.

I'll have to take her word for it.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:32 AM
Administrator - Mayor

This morning while making an omelette I was playing the range hood. I remember back in 1966 while riding shot gun one of our female friends saying “ now Johnny’s playing the dash board”. The range hood sounded good by the way. Almost as good as my double stainless kitchen sink.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:43 AM
Silver Member

Youíre not a real drummer if you havenít tapped out songs on the steering wheel, shift knob, your lap, and a left footed kick on your floorboard.

Yessir, now thatís how you figure out tunes, while driving.

Just donít text while driving... itís dangerous
Old 03-06-2018, 03:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
This morning while making an omelette I was playing the range hood. I remember back in 1966 while riding shot gun one of our female friends saying ď now Johnnyís playing the dash boardĒ. The range hood sounded good by the way. Almost as good as my double stainless kitchen sink.
I'm kind of an omelette enthusiast/fanatic, so I approve of this post including both eggs and hitting stuff in rhythm.

Do you like to make american diner style or something else? I'm partial to my own hybrid french style and like to use shmancy veggies and cheeses.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:58 AM

I've been doing this for years, if not decades, and I've only been drumming 6 months.
The real drumming only makes the habit worse (or better, one could argue).
Old 03-06-2018, 06:01 AM
Platinum Member

Who doesn't?

Old 03-06-2018, 06:05 AM
MasterBlaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
Who doesn't?
This! Ten times over!!!
Old 03-06-2018, 07:17 AM

Yes!!! Iíve driven countless teachers to the brink of insanity with my sick pencil beats :-). In all seriousness, itís actually kind of a problem for me, since I do it without thinking about it. Iíll just start banging away, whether during a test, quiz, etc. The worst is when a jam like ďTom SawyerĒ by Rush comes on and I physically have the unstoppable urge to play the tom fills on a desk.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:55 AM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
I'm kind of an omelette enthusiast/fanatic, so I approve of this post including both eggs and hitting stuff in rhythm.

Do you like to make american diner style or something else? I'm partial to my own hybrid french style and like to use shmancy veggies and cheeses.
i do chicken or turkey with cheddar cheese
Old 03-06-2018, 08:04 AM
Silver Member

I try to cure myself so as not to drive my wife or colleagues mad !
Tap on the floor, tap on the steering wheel or dashboard, table and so forth, and when I'm not, I often sing, lyrics or drum parts. I guess I'm very annoying.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:27 AM

Absolutely! As long as, if not since before, I was drumming, which started at the age of 7. Teachers and fellow students would get pretty annoyed and I wouldn't even have realized I was doing it. I don't know when it stopped bothering people, but it may have been around the time I was studying frame drums and tablas. My finger dexterity definitely improved then and the dynamics I could produce on a table/cup/steering wheel helped turn an incessant tap-tap-tap into a more dynamic musical expression (in my mind anyway). That's pretty much how I do it now and I don't get called out on it, except by my kids, who asked me to stop playing on the dog bowls while they're eating breakfast. It's just so damn tempting! Because the 2 dogs' food bowls are just about a perfect 4th apart and they sound so good together as I'm carrying them over to the counter...
Old 03-06-2018, 01:10 PM
Gold Member

When I was a kind my neighbour had a drum kit. I would bash on the arm of the chair and tap my foot in line with the rhythm of his drumming.

I was pretty confident that if I ever got behind a kit I'd be able to drum basic beats.

When I hit my early teens my older mate Sean and his band got rid of their drummer and invited me to come along and hit some bongos during one of their rehearsals. They were playing just classic rock stuff. I turned up with the drum sticks I'd bought, using their ex drummers old kit (which my mate had bought) and I could drum straight away.

I expect my timing was probably a bit ropy and I wasn't quick at getting around the kit....but I could drum to all that classic rock stuff.

I don't think I've ever really improved particularly massively. A bit faster now, and stronger control of time and tempo. And as I've got older I'm more professional in my own mind (ie. the ego is gone...I'm not always trying to smack them around like Keith Moon). But I'm still basically ok.

One thing I would say. I've always had a rather unhealthy disrespect for classic rock drummers on the basis that my experience told me that, despite all the stick tricks, the facial gurning, and the attitude and image, that they are playing music which was and remains pretty piss easy.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:13 PM
Platinum Member

Oh yeah was almost "drummed" out of grad school with my drumming and whistling while I work. Then afterwards as a post doc and then research scientist I could never share an office with anyone-I "drummed" them out. The fidgeting, whistling, drumming, talking to myself-drove all of them away. They all liked me just couldn't share an office with me. I always apologized and tried my best to be sensitive to others, but it's just an autopilot thing. True-story I was working on taking pics of some immunohistochemistry analysis of protein expression in chick embryo vascular system in a dark room. The room bordered the Chairman of Dept and another professors offices. While working both came in and nicely asked me to quit whistling and drumming-which of course I did. Well my ADD self forgot while back at work, fortunately the chairman had left his office, the other fellow was reviewing a grant so he came in, again, and asked me to keep it quiet that he was reviewing this grant and needed to concentrate. Now this man was the most gentle person who I didn't even think had a temper, but obviously when I did it again my third try was the charm. He came in apoplectic raging at me to shut the hell up. I felt bad. A few months later he was booted for sexual harassment of a lab tech so he was ironically "drummed" out.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:28 PM
Administrator - Mayor

I was taking my sister to the Airport one time and giving the steering wheel a good workout when she told me I needed a set of drums. Now look where I am.
Unfortunately she never got to see me play.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:15 PM
Administrator - Mayor

I was taking my sister to the Airport one time and giving the steering wheel a good workout when she told me I needed a set of drums. Now look where I am.
Unfortunately she never got to see me play.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:30 PM
"Uncle Larry"

No. At least I don't make noise if I do. I do everything I can to not advertise my drumming, when I'm not gigging. No drum wear, no audible tapping, no logos. I am considerate enough of others so I don't bother people with it. Not a big fan of shoving my leanings down other's throats. I keep it to myself.

And Ian, your wife is right. You do drum in your sleep. Don't ask me how I know that :P

Kidding! Sorry but you set yourself up for that so beautifully, I couldn't not take it :)
Old 03-06-2018, 06:56 PM
Platinum Member

It's funny how most people (so far) seem to drum physically on other things when not behind their kit. I am a definite steering wheel drummer, but the drumming vibe is present in a mental state 24/7. My mind is always drumming, sometimes to the extent that other external stimuli get completely ignored. Just ask my wife, she says I never listen. :-)
Old 03-06-2018, 07:06 PM
Platinum Member

One time my GF said that I was drumming on her leg while I was completely asleep in bed. She also said I too will often drum in my sleep, but usually on myself or just the bed.

I wasn't sure if I believed it but she's steadfast. Interesting I'm not the only one who seems to dream-drum.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member

I remember decades ago-when I was a young long hair I was driving to the beach (Gulf of Mexico) and stopped at a traffic light. My windows open, music blasting so naturally I was drumming away on the steering wheel, oblivious to the universe, till I noticed a commotion in the car heading toward me across the light. It was family pointing and laughing at me-all drumming on the steering will, dash, and back seats. I pointed back and went into a solo-their kids were hanging out the windows laughing as they drove by. Critics. It was traumatic so I rolled one up to ease my nerves-yeah that's the ticket.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:25 PM

Absolutely. I have a practice pad in my car on the pass seat, so I drum to the radio with (stick in right hand) on the pad, usually doing the hats and some crashes/fills, and tap the snare hits with my thumb on the wheel while doin bass hits with my foot..sometimes interfering with my driving technique. ;)

Also drum, well tap along at my desk on keyboard "wrist rest thingy".. as well as tapping (quickly) any boxes I pass by walkin around the shop where I work, they all give off different cool drum sounds (albeit quite muted).

And if im just walkin, ill do a beat on my stomach, hats n snare only though.

stuff like that.

T.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAgrippa View Post
.... stopped at a traffic light. My windows open, music blasting so naturally I was drumming away on the steering wheel, oblivious to the universe, till I noticed a commotion in the car heading toward me across the light. It was family pointing and laughing at me
The very same thing happen to me when I was in high school, except it wasn't a family, it was a couple of older guys (I assumed college age) laughing their asses off and pointing at me. Next the light turned green and as we passed, I smiled with my hands in the air and just drove on.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Four View Post
Absolutely. I have a practice pad in my car on the pass seat, so I drum to the radio with (stick in right hand) on the pad, usually doing the hats and some crashes/fills, and tap the snare hits with my thumb on the wheel while doin bass hits with my foot..sometimes interfering with my driving technique. ;)

Also drum, well tap along at my desk on keyboard "wrist rest thingy".. as well as tapping (quickly) any boxes I pass by walkin around the shop where I work, they all give off different cool drum sounds (albeit quite muted).

And if im just walkin, ill do a beat on my stomach, hats n snare only though.

stuff like that.

T.
Just a warning, I got pulled over for using a practice pad that I attached to my dash so I could do ride-type stuff as I drove.

He didn't ticket me but said he could have for "distracted driving".
Old 03-06-2018, 08:53 PM
Platinum Member

Last week I found my self playing tambourine along with Walk Like An Egyptian in the grocery store, using a box of rice.

I play finger bass a lot also. It's more quiet.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Just a warning, I got pulled over for using a practice pad that I attached to my dash so I could do ride-type stuff as I drove.

He didn't ticket me but said he could have for "distracted driving".
Wow. I guess I could see that. I do only have it resting on the seat, so its pretty low and not visible. But if a cop was next to me im sure theyd notice. (and I don't use the "dash crash" too often, although It would help my practice.) ;)

T.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:10 PM

There are plenty of ways to practice when your not at the kit or pad. Unfortunately my single stroke roll is faster with my teeth than my hands.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ght=teeth+drum
Old 03-06-2018, 11:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
i do chicken or turkey with cheddar cheese
Right, but are you a ingredients mixed into the eggs as it cooks, put on top of the omelette, or all folded into the middle kinda guy? Do you leave your eggs a little loose, or cook em till you get some browned butter marks? Thin and rolled, or fluffy and folded in half? Do you use milk or cream? Your description just doesn't give me the omelette detail that I crave.

As mentioned, I do a sort of americanized french omelette most often, I roll some delicate creamy cheese inside and then top it with herbs and veggies, never with any color on the eggs(in the french fashion). Usually I like to use gornay cheese, finely chopped chives, and I've been doing arugula baby greens on top as well. Crisp fried onions or caramelized red bell peppers are also favorites.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:37 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Ingredients mixed in all but cheese, right before fold over.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:27 AM
Gold Member

All the time and 90% of the time I don't realise I'm actually doing it until later.

Could be taping on my legs, clicking my fingers or tapping my feet. It's a bit of a problem. Even tap along to music with my fingers when out running.

Gloria Estefan was right.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
No. At least I don't make noise if I do. I do everything I can to not advertise my drumming, when I'm not gigging. No drum wear, no audible tapping, no logos. I am considerate enough of others so I don't bother people with it. Not a big fan of shoving my leanings down other's throats. I keep it to myself.

And Ian, your wife is right. You do drum in your sleep. Don't ask me how I know that :P

Kidding! Sorry but you set yourself up for that so beautifully, I couldn't not take it :)
Well, Larry, one day I'll repay you.

When you least expect it. ;-)
Old 03-07-2018, 12:22 PM

I have my practice pad set up in the garage, with a pair of sticks always poised on top of the pad.

If I go into the garage for something housework related (drying clothes, getting lawnmower e.t.c) I have to pick up the sticks and play something, even if only for 0.5 seconds (usually a beats worth of alternating 32nd notes)

Some weird kind of OCD.

.....of course....sometimes those 0.5 seconds turn into 15 minutes. Missus does not approve!

"It took you 15 minutes to load the dryer?!"

It's an addiction I swear
Old 03-07-2018, 04:56 PM
Platinum Member

I used to.

Then I had kids.

I've learned to conserve my energy.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:13 PM

I think I'm a better drummer without the kit at this point....

I've found that you can find rhythm in almost anything during day-to-day living.
I've always worked with machines/printers, they keep time pretty well.. Wasn't long before I started using them as a kind of metronome, or replicating the rhythms they make by banging on a surface near by.

Even just walking down the street with headphones on I can't help but tap along whilst keeping pace with the music (not that this is uncommon, hence why they have upbeat music in gyms). Although I suppose tapping on my legs or fingers isn't particularly normal.

Also, has anyone else allocated a drum part (eg: bass, snare, cymbal etc..) to a finger or thumb? Or am I slightly too involved with my music?
Old 03-07-2018, 09:34 PM
MasterBlaster

I just wish there was a way to play my kick pedal with my heel instead of my toes.

That sucker can go forever! The toes, not so forever.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:45 AM
Gold Member

Sitting at a table or desk I can do things with my hands and feet that I could never pull off on a kit. I love finding a surface that sounds good...I drive my wife nuts when Iím at the dining room table fidgeting without realizing it.