DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 02-27-2018, 10:08 PM

Default So Frustrating trying to pick a new kit

I've been out of the acoustic world for a lot of years. My last acoustic kit was a sweet set of Premier Signias, wish I still had them. As I venture into the acoustic market again there are so many damn options. I thought I had it narrowed down to Ludwig CM or CD but nope, my eye keeps wandering. My order date for something is 3/9 but damn I just cant make up my mind on any thing. Mahogany, maple, I go back and forth. Its drum torture. Boutique? Big Company? I dunno.

TOO MANY Choices!!

Feel free to muddy my brain even more with your thoughts. I want round and full, dont want to break the bank but eh, if I have to crack it thats OK.

Ludwig
DW
PDP
C&C

Something else. Beats me. I feel like I should go back in time and take a trip to the Soviet Union so I could only have a choice of state sponsored drums.

OH, before you say "Go play them"

Not so easy. Im like in a music store desert. I have a GC and a Sam Ash but all of them 45 min away or so and the inventory there is hit and miss.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:30 PM

Default Re: So Frustrating trying to pick a new kit

If it were me, I'd go grab some Ludwig Classic Maples and call it a day. They've never let me down.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:30 PM
Platinum Member

When in doubt.... Yamaha.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
When in doubt.... Yamaha.
I've never been a fan. I dont have a rhyme or reason why. Not a fan of Yamaha or Gretsch.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummy View Post
If it were me, I'd go grab some Ludwig Classic Maples and call it a day. They've never let me down.
They are absolutely on the list.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYP47 View Post
I've never been a fan. I dont have a rhyme or reason why. Not a fan of Yamaha or Gretsch.
But you like PDP??? Hmmmm....
Old 02-27-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumming sort of person View Post
Not at the top of my list and I really only like the wood hoop PDP and thats 95% aesthetic.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:52 PM
Platinum Member

The answer is simple....

Mapex Saturn

There. I said it.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
The answer is simple....

Mapex Saturn

There. I said it.

I have read some positive reviews but also that they are really loud.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I have read some positive reviews but also that they are really loud.
Mapex Saturns are really loud? If this is true, I'd love to have a set of them.
I can always play softer, but there is a limit to how hard I can hit the drums.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post

I dont know, thats just what I had read on another board. I have always used small sticks (7a) but I also know I tend to hit harder. Of course that was 20 years ago so who knows now HAHA.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:09 PM
Platinum Member

My advice is to narrow it down to your top three choices. Then choose the one that has your favorite color and shell finish.
You can do a lot to change the sound of drums by using different heads, tuning them and using dampening techniques. In the end you have to love the look of your drums.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post

Might be referring to specific owners of mapex saturns....
Old 02-27-2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Might be referring to specific owners of mapex saturns....

Dr Watso, did you pull the trigger on Bartons? Yes, I read your thread.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:15 PM
Silver Member

If you loved your former Signia, you should get interested in drum companies with the same approach: meaning thin maple shell with reinforcing rings, triple flange hoops and classic finishes. Which would leave with DW collector and Lud Legacy.

Still. I would keep a gretsch option : pretty good sounding high end kits classy finishes, nice build.

Signia has a vibe to it. I love those shells.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamaefx View Post
If you loved your former Signia, you should get interested in drum companies with the same approach: meaning thin maple shell with reinforcing rings, triple flange hoops and classic finishes. Which would leave with DW collector and Lud Legacy.

Still. I would keep a gretsch option : pretty good sounding high end kits classy finishes, nice build.

Signia has a vibe to it. I love those shells.

I miss that kit so much and yes, you are right, they are just out of my price range unless I go used which is also an option.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
I don't care if you don't like Gretsch. I like them and that's all that matters! :)

Seriously, even though you SAY you don't like Gretsch, I can promise if you got a set of Renowns you'd LOVE them.

Best bang for the buck by a mile.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
I don't care if you don't like Gretsch. I like them and that's all that matters! :)

Seriously, even though you SAY you don't like Gretsch, I can promise if you got a set of Renowns you'd LOVE them.

Best bang for the buck by a mile.
Ill listen to some on youtube
Old 02-28-2018, 12:44 AM
Platinum Member

If you want round and full, look in to more "vintage style" drums. Club Dates will be more full and round than Classic Maples. C&C also has some nice "modern vintage" drums with their Player Date kits. Or you can get in to a really great set of modern vintage style drums for a really good price by going with INDe. They have a more modern look with their lugs, but they are really thin maple shells with round over edges that give nice full and round tones even at low volumes.

Mapex Saturns are not round and full. Those who say they are don't know what round and full is. They are a modern, attack heavy, biting, and projecting set of drums that work amazingly in louder styles of music. You can achieve huge amounts of sustain with these drums (more than any other drums I have ever played), but the shell tone is waaayyy in the background. It's all in your head selection with Saturns. Definitely a pop/rock/metal/prog/etc. set of drums that really sound great in a modern mix.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I've been out of the acoustic world for a lot of years. My last acoustic kit was a sweet set of Premier Signias, wish I still had them..
Get what you know and love. Go make an offer on one of these below. These Signia's are a GREAT color and also great sizes. The Premier "Series" are very very nice IMO....

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Pre...ia-Drum-Kit.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Pre...te-Drum-Kit.gc
Old 02-28-2018, 01:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
If you want round and full, look in to more "vintage style" drums. Club Dates will be more full and round than Classic Maples. C&C also has some nice "modern vintage" drums with their Player Date kits. Or you can get in to a really great set of modern vintage style drums for a really good price by going with INDe. They have a more modern look with their lugs, but they are really thin maple shells with round over edges that give nice full and round tones even at low volumes.

Mapex Saturns are not round and full. Those who say they are don't know what round and full is. They are a modern, attack heavy, biting, and projecting set of drums that work amazingly in louder styles of music. You can achieve huge amounts of sustain with these drums (more than any other drums I have ever played), but the shell tone is waaayyy in the background. It's all in your head selection with Saturns. Definitely a pop/rock/metal/prog/etc. set of drums that really sound great in a modern mix.
This is very true.
I own a set of 1963 Slingerland drums. And I own a set of Yamaha Live Custom drums. So I know exactly what you are talking about.
I own both of these kits just so I can have both of these styles of drums available for different types of music that I play.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumming sort of person View Post
Are they really that bad?
Old 02-28-2018, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post

I've looked at Inde off and on because of those edges. I havent heard anything bad but the recordings I've heard have all been tuned higher than I like so Im having a hard time gauging.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:31 AM
Silver Member

Can you point us to some sounds of drums you are digging? Or even the kind of music you would like to play with these drums? Which C&C line are you thinking?

I currently have 2 C&C kits (I have owned 4 of their kits), 2 vintage Ludwig kits, a Gretsch Brooklyn, and a Gretsch Catalina Club. I have owned a couple of Ludwig Classic Maple kits as well, so I think I can speak pretty clearly to your list.

Let me know what you are thinking, and I'll give you my insights.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkaway View Post
Can you point us to some sounds of drums you are digging? Or even the kind of music you would like to play with these drums? Which C&C line are you thinking?

I currently have 2 C&C kits (I have owned 4 of their kits), 2 vintage Ludwig kits, a Gretsch Brooklyn, and a Gretsch Catalina Club. I have owned a couple of Ludwig Classic Maple kits as well, so I think I can speak pretty clearly to your list.

Let me know what you are thinking, and I'll give you my insights.
I would appreciate that. I like C&C but the "Luan" aspect worries me a bit. I like the Player Date 1 sound. Deep, thudy, almost a little warped back end to my mind.

I could care less about projection, more about sound. The sound of mahogany does it for me but Im also afraid its not versatile enough. I still want to rock out from time to time I think.

Im also not a huge fan of the center mounted lugs
Old 02-28-2018, 03:08 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artstar View Post
Get what you know and love. Go make an offer on one of these below. These Signia's are a GREAT color and also great sizes. The Premier "Series" are very very nice IMO....

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Pre...ia-Drum-Kit.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Pre...te-Drum-Kit.gc
Those are pretty cool, and you know you won't be disappointed.

I like the sizes of the black one better.

You are in a great predicament, happy hunting !
Old 02-28-2018, 03:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groov-E View Post
Those are pretty cool, and you know you won't be disappointed.

I like the sizes of the black one better.
!
Exactly... I don't know why he did'nt respond to this. Maybe he did'nt see it ?? These kits blow all those other suggestions away IMO.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Exactly... I don't know why he did'nt respond to this. Maybe he did'nt see it ?? These kits blow all those other suggestions away IMO.
I liked them both, sorry for not responding. I saved the black sparkle, two floor toms is something I want in my set up
Old 02-28-2018, 03:25 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I would appreciate that. I like C&C but the "Luan" aspect worries me a bit. I like the Player Date 1 sound. Deep, thudy, almost a little warped back end to my mind.

I could care less about projection, more about sound. The sound of mahogany does it for me but Im also afraid its not versatile enough. I still want to rock out from time to time I think.

Im also not a huge fan of the center mounted lugs
So, the C&C Player Date 1 is great for giving that low, thuddy sound. But....that's all it does. If you want some ability to play other sounds, I would look at the Player Date II series or the Gladstone series. You can order the Player Date II with single ended lugs instead of the center mounted ones, if that is an issue for you. The Gladstone series gives you more options for bearing edges, finishes, etc.. I'm not sure why, but the Gladstone series drums I have played have projected more than the Player Date I or II. By the way, the Player Date II is going to be quieter than the Classic Maples, just so you know.

Speaking of the Classic Maples, they are probably sturdier than the C&Cs, with better hardware. They will weigh a bit more, but it's not a night and day difference. The Classic Maples are better if you want volume and projection. They definitely have more "thunder" and more attack, if that makes sense. They are great all-around, do almost anything drums. The set I had was very durable, reliable, and easy to use. Personally, I like the finish options of the C&Cs better, but that's because you can go completely custom if you want.

Personal opinion:
I like the C&C drums I have played because it feels like I can dig into the drums a bit more than most other brands. It's like a worn pair of jeans, they just fit right and feel comfortable. They have a roundness that isn't attack heavy, which is what I find with a lot of modern drums.

My Classic Maples were more like a pair of jeans I have washed a couple of times. They fit well and I know they will last a long time. They aren't as comfortable, but I know I will get used to them, and they probably will last a longer amount of time than my older jeans. They give more attack than the C&Cs but not as much as most modern drums. This line is probably more adaptable than the C&Cs.

Something to think about:
I know you are probably set on buying a new kit, but I think you might be very happy with a set of late 60s- early 70s Ludwigs. They have more punch than the 60s versions, and you can get them fairly priced. I have a set of 1969 Ludwigs that are fantastic sounding. I have had to spend some money updating some of the hardware to make it tour worthy, but they are amazing sounding drums.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkaway View Post
So, the C&C Player Date 1 is great for giving that low, thuddy sound. But....that's all it does. If you want some ability to play other sounds, I would look at the Player Date II series or the Gladstone series. You can order the Player Date II with single ended lugs instead of the center mounted ones, if that is an issue for you. The Gladstone series gives you more options for bearing edges, finishes, etc.. I'm not sure why, but the Gladstone series drums I have played have projected more than the Player Date I or II. By the way, the Player Date II is going to be quieter than the Classic Maples, just so you know.

Speaking of the Classic Maples, they are probably sturdier than the C&Cs, with better hardware. They will weigh a bit more, but it's not a night and day difference. The Classic Maples are better if you want volume and projection. They definitely have more "thunder" and more attack, if that makes sense. They are great all-around, do almost anything drums. The set I had was very durable, reliable, and easy to use. Personally, I like the finish options of the C&Cs better, but that's because you can go completely custom if you want.

Personal opinion:
I like the C&C drums I have played because it feels like I can dig into the drums a bit more than most other brands. It's like a worn pair of jeans, they just fit right and feel comfortable. They have a roundness that isn't attack heavy, which is what I find with a lot of modern drums.

My Classic Maples were more like a pair of jeans I have washed a couple of times. They fit well and I now they will last a long time. They aren't as comfortable, but I know I will get used to them, and they probably will last a longer amount of time. They give more attack than the C&Cs but not as much as most modern drums. This line is probably more adaptable than the C&Cs.

Something to think about:
I know you are probably set on buying a new kit, but I think you might be very happy with a set of late 60s- early 70s Ludwigs. They have more punch than the 60s versions, and you can get them fairly priced. I have a set of 1969 Ludwigs that are fantastic sounding. I have had to spend some money updating some of the hardware to make it tour worthy, but they are amazing sounding drums.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks Chunkaway, this is wonderful insight into the kits. The C&C info is wonderful as I am looking for something sturdier so I think you have just helped me cross those off the list. I have considered vintage ludwigs, maybe ill need to consider them a bit more. I really appreciate all the insight.

Have you looked at the pearl maple master complete and maple master reserve?
Silver Member

Almost forgot, I love mahogany drums too, but they are fairly one-dimensional. They are great for certain genres of music, but if you want to get loud and ruckusy, they get lost in the din of the band.

I had a C&C mahogany kit - the real mahogany, not the luan stuff -and I LOVED the sound. But, the drums would get drowned out by any band I was playing with. If you aren't micing them up at every show, they probably aren't the way to go.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I liked them both, sorry for not responding. I saved the black sparkle, two floor toms is something I want in my set up
Components are available. There is a guy in the US that handles that if you end up with more interest in that kit.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Components are available. There is a guy in the US that handles that if you end up with more interest in that kit.
Really? Do you happen to have a link?
Old 02-28-2018, 03:41 AM
Platinum Member

I think the Tama Starclassics check all the boxes too. Very dynamic drums, from subtle to powerful, with excellent tone.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Really? Do you happen to have a link?
Yeah.... here are two guys. You have to message them in detail to get an idea of what they can do. They will check out whatever you want and give you an update.

https://www.facebook.com/DancincrowDrums/

http://stores.ebay.com/Percussion-Ki...p2047675.l2563
Old 02-28-2018, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Yeah.... here are two guys. You have to message them in detail to get an idea of what they can do. They will check out whatever you want and give you an update.

Awesome, thanks so much for the info.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:59 AM
Silver Member

Quote:

See, I like Premier drums, but I gave up on them because getting ANY service from them was like an act of God. I don't have time to deal with that. It's too bad because they used to make cool drums.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:24 AM
Silver Member

Reverb has a ton of vintage kits. For the price of new kits being suggested here, you can buy a minty used Ludwig or Slingerland. Even a Rogers Holiday or vintage Gretsch. A 60's Slingerland 3 ply with re-rings is a killer sound. Or a Roger Holiday. Just two weeks ago there was NOS vintage never used early 70's Ludwig in champagne sparkle wrap complete kit including kick, snare, two mounted toms and one floor tom that went for under $2K. No modern kit could touch that quality and sound at that pricepoint.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:32 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlin' Bones View Post
Reverb has a ton of vintage kits. For the price of new kits being suggested here, you can buy a minty used Ludwig or Slingerland. Even a Rogers Holiday or vintage Gretsch. A 60's Slingerland 3 ply with re-rings is a killer sound. Or a Roger Holiday. Just two weeks ago there was NOS vintage never used early 70's Ludwig in champagne sparkle wrap complete kit including kick, snare, two mounted toms and one floor tom that went for under $2K. No modern kit could touch that quality and sound at that pricepoint.

Anybody know what sizes of drums the OP is looking for? That could impact the search for vintage drums.