DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 02-27-2018, 02:12 AM

Default Basic hand motion exercises

Hi,

Daniel posted a great exercise for getting your hands working dynamically by combining basic hand motions (up, down, tap, full strokes). Found here;

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...d.php?t=140690

I find these exercises very challenging to get flowing (especially with lots of ups and down strokes) so I have been working on exercises that begin much simpler and work up to the one Daniel posted. (I tried to post some exercises in Daniels original thread, but speaking with Daniel, I realised that version was not helpful at all. This is the improved version).

The basic premise is to put space between up and down strokes. The exercises progress by removing an eighth note at a time, bringing the up and down strokes closer to each other. You don't have to set your metronome to all the different time signatures, it is easier to just set the metronome on eighth notes and count the notes.

These are designed to be played repetitively, either on a single hand (and then switch), or you can try to play them in unison if you are more comfortable (and want to save time!). Start at the top of the pages and work down. I have been starting with the 'All four strokes' file and then playing the 'Down, tap, up' one.

Enjoy,

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Accent study basic - All four strokes.pdf (159.1 KB, 48 views)
File Type: pdf Accent study basic - Down, tap, up strokes.pdf (111.8 KB, 51 views)
Old 02-27-2018, 03:27 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Basic hand motion exercises

Nice set of exercises you got there Andee! Good job.

Have you ever shot clips of yourself playing those?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndeeT View Post
Hi,

Daniel posted a great exercise for getting your hands working dynamically by combining basic hand motions (up, down, tap, full strokes). Found here;

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...d.php?t=140690

I find these exercises very challenging to get flowing (especially with lots of ups and down strokes) so I have been working on exercises that begin much simpler and work up to the one Daniel posted. (I tried to post some exercises in Daniels original thread, but speaking with Daniel, I realised that version was not helpful at all. This is the improved version).

The basic premise is to put space between up and down strokes. The exercises progress by removing an eighth note at a time, bringing the up and down strokes closer to each other. You don't have to set your metronome to all the different time signatures, it is easier to just set the metronome on eighth notes and count the notes.

These are designed to be played repetitively, either on a single hand (and then switch), or you can try to play them in unison if you are more comfortable (and want to save time!). Start at the top of the pages and work down. I have been starting with the 'All four strokes' file and then playing the 'Down, tap, up' one.

Enjoy,

Andy
Old 02-27-2018, 04:17 AM

Default Re: Basic hand motion exercises

Thanks Daniel, and thanks for your help.

I have nothing recorded yet, but I will try to get something up soon!

Cheers,

Andy