DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 02-24-2018, 04:19 AM
Silver Member

Default Social media ruined everything

Is there really much more that needs to be said?
Old 02-24-2018, 05:14 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Social media ruined everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheCoolNamesAreTaken View Post
Is there really much more that needs to be said?
Yes. Elaborate.

In what respect has SM done that?
Old 02-24-2018, 06:08 AM
Banned

Geez, I frickin love it - so to speak.

It got me to this place!

Last edited by MasterBlaster; 02-24-2018 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:34 AM

Social media is like a car. Use it correctly and it is incredibily useful. Use it irresponsibly and it can cause a lot of harm.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:38 PM
Silver Member

Social Media is ruining some things... in my view, with some of my new young work associates. My relationship with them can be a challenge and in themselves, I see they are struggling.

Let me state, the drum forums and Pinterest are all I do social media-wise. No Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, blah, blah, blah.

I’ve observed how the addiction of social media has changed the workplace. I’m not going to stereotype millenials, because some of them are absolute beasts at working and their learning curve. It’s truly a pleasure to work with these individuals.

But I see way too many negatives with social media and the work place. I can only assume it’s probably similar Everywhere else.

Short attention span
Multi-tasking, which I believe no one can do well, and what I think those folks say they do very well. Ya No, you can’t.
Getting absolutely stressed out about... everything.
The constant need to be texting and receiving text. One individual had the balls to have his phone positioned in front of him, where simple interactions was... Me - THE phone - Him. An absolutely ridiculous situation.

Folks with, what I call an addiction, have a different work ethic. Some cases, it’s absolutely horrible. When half the work day consists of social media, that means they are not doing work. And because of the ‘multitasking’, their ability to not maintain focus is just crippling their chances of doing good work. Believe me, they are not fooling management. Everybody is watching, especially co-workers who the affected directly.

There are positives to social media, but my experience see more negatives.

Last edited by Macarina; 02-25-2018 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:42 PM
Platinum Member

Social media didn't ruin anything. People using it obsessively/unwisely/hatefully did.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member

Scientist: I've invented a communications network that connects everyone at the speed of light! This should usher in a new era of peace and prosperity!

Humans: Hold my beer.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member

Social media is just a reflection of society and culture-just more people are connected-the problem I see is the connection seems inert rather you are talking to a real person and an identity-so I think often people say things they wouldn't directly to that person. Also I note the written word can often be misconstrued and offend even when no intention-I was commenting and agreeing my younger sis on FB-but she mistook my comments as disagreement and it blew up to a huge argument-which a phone call cleared up. I think it's difficult to communicate effectively with the written word-the reason I think authors are so gifted.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarina View Post
Short attention span
Multi-tasking, which I believe no one can do well, and what I think those folks say they do very well. Ya No, you can’t.
This is a somewhat observable shift. As each generation grows up with more and more tools for multi-tasking, it literally becomes a part of their brain structure. I am much better at it than my parents generation, and this current generation is practically glued to their devices, and I've noted they really can keep track of multiple thought threads in the same way I can, just a little better... Well, a lot better if I'm being honest. I grew up as these tools developed, and now literal babies grow up with "toys" that mimic the tools I'm referencing.

Probably not a coincidence that "ADD" as it's diagnosed is rising... The world is training us to split our attention and not focus on one thing at a time. The brain adapts.

Honestly, multi-tasking is pretty much the only way I function. I may get distracted a lot but the sum of my accomplishments ends up being quite efficient.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:25 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Yes. Elaborate.

In what respect has SM done that?
Hah, I totally forgot I posted this.

I can't possibly elaborate every detail or aspect of my viewpoint, but I think there are basic truisms:

- The less you know about people, the better
- The longer delay between having a thought and blasting that thought out to an audience, the better
- The less shallow interaction you have with other human beings, the better.

Social media violates all those precepts. And then we wonder why everyone using it is miserable.

Mostly I hate that it has accelerated making every single thing political/ideological, and imbues everything with a 'me me me' celebrity victim ('victastar') mentality. This was already a problem in Western societies, where we're so comfortable we can get screaming mad at strangers and loved ones about who does/doesn't pay for our erectile dysfunction medication and birth control.

But social media made this mentality so pervasive. Angry nonsense is all people talk about all the time. We yell at each other about nonsense in sports, music, theater, and in every movie and television show. And it just seems to get worse and worse.

Remember when you would see a car with a ton of offensive political/ideological bumper stickers on it? How it was always owned by a real in-your-face jerk who wouldn't shut up about his/her pet peeve? Well, that's everybody now.

Thanks, social media!
Old 03-15-2018, 03:30 AM
Banned

Yea, I don't follow those particular "truisms."

I hope most of the world doesn't, either!
Old 03-16-2018, 03:03 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Yea, I don't follow those particular "truisms."

I hope most of the world doesn't, either!
So your hope is that all of your personal information becomes public, people dont think before they speak, and that you will have more shallow interactions with people?

To each his own I guess.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:02 AM

I dont have and have never used twatter or fakebook or the other bs crap. Have no time for it whatsoever . Its all cancerous to society in my opinion and has done more harm than good. Dont use goolag either. The days before the internet were simpler, friends were real and people were more reliable.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:04 AM

Since I’m still a teenager, I think the general consensus among my friends is that having social media such as Instagram or Snapchat makes you “higher up in the popularity hierarchy” if you’d call it that. I only use it to keep close contact with my friends and stay updated on what their up to, but I don’t want to go look at what the Kardashians are up to.