DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 02-22-2018, 02:16 PM
Silver Member

Default Hand Motions Exercise

Hey guys,

Here's a rather simple yet difficult exercise to get you started with your hand motions. You have to play 4 loud strokes followed by 4 soft strokes but have to play those while following the 4 different types of strokes I'm describing in the clip. The four strokes will be: "Full", "Down", "Tap" and "Up". I found that by practicing these motions, my hands have developed better reflexes and my general technique is more efficient. Give it a try!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdj6xJXPOek

If you're looking for more of this type of exercises, I recommend that you check out "Accents & Rebounds" by George Lawrence Stone, "Master Studies" by Joe Morello, "The Jazz Drummer's Workshop" by John Riley, the "Patterns" series by Gary Chaffee and "It's Your Move" by Dom Famularo.

Feel free to write to me if you have any questions.

:)
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Motion exercise.pdf (16.6 KB, 47 views)
Old 02-23-2018, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Hand Motions Exercise

Thanks again Renardvert.

I have recently gone back to basics of upstrokes, downstrokes taps and full strokes and it is amazing, it is like a breath of fresh air in my drumming.

A nice variation on your exercise is to phrase it as two herta’s, one loud and one soft. It preserves the sticking (both hand to hand and up/down/tap/full combinations) but adds a different flavour. And, because hertas are cool :-)
Old 02-23-2018, 01:46 PM
Silver Member

Yes, indeed. Good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndeeT View Post
Thanks again Renardvert.

I have recently gone back to basics of upstrokes, downstrokes taps and full strokes and it is amazing, it is like a breath of fresh air in my drumming.

A nice variation on your exercise is to phrase it as two herta’s, one loud and one soft. It preserves the sticking (both hand to hand and up/down/tap/full combinations) but adds a different flavour. And, because hertas are cool :-)
Old 02-23-2018, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

Daniel,

Great post (both PDF and video)! As always, your explanations are clear and easy for students of all ages and levels to understand.

Do you have a copy of my book, The Level System? If not, I'll gladly send a free copy your way. Just PM me with your mailing address (I can't send everyone a free copy, but I do want to get it in the hands of educators who use this system of accenting).

I documented this system of upstrokes, downstrokes, full strokes, an taps, which I studied with Joe Morello, in my book. Here is a link to the Amazon page (click on thumbnails for sample pages).

https://www.amazon.com/Level-System-...m+jeff+johnson

The use of the four motions that you mentioned is a method of performance that allows the drummer to transition instantly between accented and unaccented notes. It is unlike other methods of accenting because the hands always prepare for the upcoming note one stroke in advance. This allows the drummer to perform within an extreme dynamic range while remaining relaxed.

Thanks,

Jeff

Last edited by jeffwj; 03-06-2018 at 04:11 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:10 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the kind words Jeff, truly appreciated.

I do have your book already which I had bought a while ago since it got me curious with its topic. I love those kinds of hand technique routine. I am currently revisiting the whole "Accents & Rebounds" book going through these motions again.

Let's keep in touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwj View Post
Daniel,

Great post (both PDF and video)! As always, your explanations are clear and easy for students of all ages and levels to understand.

Do you have a copy of my book, The Level System? If not, I'll gladly send a free copy your way. Just PM me with your mailing address (I can't send everyone a free copy, but I do want to get it in the hands of educators who use this system of accenting).

I documented this system, which I studied with Joe Morello, in my book. Here is a link to the Amazon page (click on thumbnails for sample pages).

https://www.amazon.com/Level-System-...m+jeff+johnson

The use of the four motions that you mentioned is a method of performance that allows the drummer to transition instantly between accented and unaccented notes. It is unlike other methods of accenting because the hands always prepare for the upcoming note one stroke in advance. This allows the drummer to perform within an extreme dynamic range while remaining relaxed.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 02-24-2018, 12:09 AM
Platinum Member

I got almost run over crossing the street this morning and I practiced my hand motions towards the car until it turned the corner.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renardvert View Post
Thanks for the kind words Jeff, truly appreciated.

I do have your book already which I had bought a while ago since it got me curious with its topic. I love those kinds of hand technique routine. I am currently revisiting the whole "Accents & Rebounds" book going through these motions again.

Let's keep in touch.
Yes, the Accents and Rebounds exercises are great. Morello also utilized the motions with pages 8-19 of Master Studies.

Jeff
Old 02-24-2018, 01:40 PM
Silver Member

They always come in handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
I got almost run over crossing the street this morning and I practiced my hand motions towards the car until it turned the corner.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:41 PM
Silver Member

Yes, they are very good. I was planing on going through them once I was done with Accents & Rebounds.

I'm currently studying with Gary Chaffee and he also has a lot of great motion exercises in his series of books "Patterns".

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwj View Post
Yes, the Accents and Rebounds exercises are great. Morello also utilized the motions with pages 8-19 of Master Studies.

Jeff
Old 02-25-2018, 11:20 AM

My original post here contained a really abstracted, not very helpful accent exercise using the four motions/strokes. I have taken Daniels comments into consideration and made an improved version of my exercise. Found here;

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...91#post1548791

Original post;

Hey guys,

I have a little exercise page to show you, related to this. I have been struggling with getting the individual motions of the down and up stroke, as well as combing these with the other strokes.

I feel like sometimes, these accent studies can let you 'jump in the deep end' a bit, if you aren't careful. I have been playing these strokes wrong for 7 years, so it takes a lot of concentration for me to play even simple accent studies well.

What I did was to make up a series of exercises that deal with the 4 strokes independently, and then start combining them slowly. Think of it as a primer to the page Renard uploaded for us.

I made sure the exercises had rests in them to let the hands relax and try to understand the motions fully. Not all patterns directly translate to a playing situation, and they are meant to be played on one hand at a time. Rather, it is just to learn how each stroke 'feels', and how some of the combinations feel, at a reasonable tempo, before stepping into the well trodden accent studies.

Let me know what you think.

Last edited by AndeeT; 02-27-2018 at 01:38 AM. Reason: poor exercise
Old 02-27-2018, 01:05 AM
Silver Member

Hi guys!

Here are two other exercises using the motions I described earlier. The first one uses triplets and the second one is a paradiddle. I still am using the "full", "down", "tap" and "up" approach.

I hope you'll enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uigVviCZeqo
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Motion exercise (2).pdf (19.8 KB, 34 views)
Old 02-27-2018, 01:39 AM

Sweet, I love the shuffle one!
Old 03-05-2018, 11:25 PM

Hi. Appreciate your doing this. I'm a beginner who recently started working working with Stick Control. How do you think I should practice these? What bpm should I try this at? And is there benefit to doing it faster, or is this more about focusing on your technique and should be done slowly.
Thanks again.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:58 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for the kind words.

I think those exercises work great along with Stick Control. Similar exercises are found in Stick Control's follow up, "Accents & Rebounds", which I think is also worth working on.

I would work on the ones I shared at around 60 bpm and with a mirror so that you have the time to see and feel the motions you're working on. I worked on some of those with John Riley and he was telling me that they were meant to develop good reflexes with your hands. I feel they also really helped me get smoother hands. You can also push them up to speed but you won't be able to think about the motions when you get pretty fast.

I hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummy View Post
Hi. Appreciate your doing this. I'm a beginner who recently started working working with Stick Control. How do you think I should practice these? What bpm should I try this at? And is there benefit to doing it faster, or is this more about focusing on your technique and should be done slowly.
Thanks again.