DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 02-15-2018, 12:49 AM
Silver Member

Default X-HATS vs H-HATS and WHEN TO USE

Does anyone use x-hats exclusively and not use hi-hats and pedal?

I was listening to recordings I made of our group playing last weekend (a sorta jam-practice gig) and I heard too much hi-hat sound. We play strictly old school authentic blues (think Red Devils, Junior Wells, and Buddy Guy).

I started listening closer to some of my blues reference vinyl and CD's and didn't hear much or any hi-hat chick with a stick.

So, I want to know if any of you forego hi-hat and pedal and just use fixed x-hats? Now, for jazz and big band I'd need to use hi-hats, but now I'm not so sure about using them playing blues.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:16 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: X-HATS vs H-HATS and WHEN TO USE

Not sure about hearing hi hat clicks in blues songs. But if that is what you want why not just quickly lower the top cymbal and lock down your hi hat for certain songs.
Your hi hat foot might feel strange pushing on a dead pedal. But so what.

(I wish I had hi hat cymbals that were too loud.)

Old 02-15-2018, 06:39 AM
Silver Member

I don't understand why you would want to block your hi hat especially in a blues setting ? For some straight forward modern pop or hard rock, OK, but for blues you would loose a lot of nuances that you can get just by changing pressure or washing the hat. I play some blues, I would really feel amputated without the hi hat, and all the small nuances I can do with. It is funny because it's in the blues songs that I play the most with the sound variety of the hi-hat.
I had a x-hat a long time ago, for practical reasons with twin pedal use.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:26 AM

I think X-hats are mainly there for when you have your left foot on something else, i.e another bass drum pedal.

I wouldn't forgo a normal Hi-hat for and X-hat in any other case. It's the most expressive cymbal(s) on the kit.

In terms of the hi-hat and recording; I have read on sound engineer forums that the hi-hat is the bane of their drum-kit recording lives; they are always asking guys to play it quieter, and it is usually bleeding into other mikes.

I had the same experience when I went in to a studio to record. the sound engineer knew it was my first time and basically pointed at the toms and snare and said 'carry on hitting these hard', and then pointed and the cymbals (mainly the hi-hat) and said 'hit these less hard!'.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:58 PM
Silver Member

That may have been the issue: I recorded us just on my iPhone and it was to let and behind me, so closest sounds were hi-hat and snare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndeeT View Post
I think X-hats are mainly there for when you have your left foot on something else, i.e another bass drum pedal.

I wouldn't forgo a normal Hi-hat for and X-hat in any other case. It's the most expressive cymbal(s) on the kit.

In terms of the hi-hat and recording; I have read on sound engineer forums that the hi-hat is the bane of their drum-kit recording lives; they are always asking guys to play it quieter, and it is usually bleeding into other mikes.

I had the same experience when I went in to a studio to record. the sound engineer knew it was my first time and basically pointed at the toms and snare and said 'carry on hitting these hard', and then pointed and the cymbals (mainly the hi-hat) and said 'hit these less hard!'.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:24 PM
Platinum Member

I don't understand the part about "I didn't hear much or any hi-hat chick with a stick."

Even if I wasn't playing the hihat with my foot much I would still want to be able to control the quality of the stick sound-- how open or closed it is. Just a static closed sound wouldn't cut it for me.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:14 PM

I flirted with this for a while as I got the use of an x-hat stand for a while from a bud. I liked the open handed playing and was able to arrange my rack toms in a very comfortable way.
I might go back to it as I liked the idea of not having to do any cross over stuff, but will miss the fast work on the left hats too.
Hmm...decisions decisions...
Old 02-16-2018, 02:27 AM
Silver Member

When I listened to my CD's and vinyls of blues like Jimmy Rogers All Stars or cats like Red Devils, Junior Wells, and Buddy Guy I didn't hear much hi-hat used with foot pedal like you'd hear in a big band or jazz ensemble. It seemed to be played mostly closed or in some songs always closed or not played at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbishop View Post
I don't understand the part about "I didn't hear much or any hi-hat chick with a stick."

Even if I wasn't playing the hihat with my foot much I would still want to be able to control the quality of the stick sound-- how open or closed it is. Just a static closed sound wouldn't cut it for me.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:59 AM
Platinum Member

Oh right-- I can see that. You could probably dispense with the foot sound for a lot of music with a heavy backbeat. But I would still be using the pedal for open sounds.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:59 AM

Ah, I see now.

Well, if you still feel like you need to play the chick sound but need a quieter sound, you can move the top and bottom hi-hat cymbals together. Bear in mind this may affect your balance on the kit,
Old 02-16-2018, 12:40 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlin' Bones View Post
That may have been the issue: I recorded us just on my iPhone and it was to let and behind me, so closest sounds were hi-hat and snare.
That right there is not a good representation of how everyone sounds especially if you have it by the hi hat, naturally the hi hat will dominate the sound if that's the closest thing to the mic. If you want to start recording and get a better representation of how everyone sounds pick up a zoom recorder and place it out front so it will pick up everything.