DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming But Music Related

Old 02-14-2018, 08:11 PM

Default Visiting England- looking for Music Club suggestions

My daughter and I will be visiting England in three weeks. We will be staying in London (we're staying near London Tower) for four days, Manchester (staying near the City Center) for two and Liverpool (staying near The Albert Dock) for one. I'm looking for ideas of live music clubs to go to. She is 18 and has pretty decent taste in music (at least she follows real bands that actually play real instruments). I am 48 and have a wide taste in music, as well. Having said that, we'd be looking for "rock" type music. No EDM, dance, etc.

I've been to Ireland plenty of times and really enjoy traditional Irish music so if you know of any pubs in those three English cities that host Irish Trad, I would love to be directed to them, as well.

So, any of you from the UK that have any suggestions, please post them up. If your band is playing while we are there even better! We'll be there March 10th through the 16th.

Thanks.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:49 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Visiting England- looking for Music Club suggestions

Sounds a great trip with three key cities of U.K. Musical heritage

For most music venues here it really depends on who is playing on the night (in terms of music genres) but the below hopefully will help, all of which are small/medium sized venues (i.e. Pubs/Clubs) which are pretty inexpensive to get in/sometimes free entry.

Know I've probably missed off a few also but it should help as a start hopefully so you can look into them.

London

The Finsbury
The Borderline
The Dublin Castle
Barfly
XOYO
Horton Square Bar & Kitchen
100 Club

Even though it's Jazz and not Rock I wouldn't miss the opportunity to visit Ronnie Scott's - even if tickets can sometimes be expensive - purely for its drumming heritage.

Manchester

Night and Day
The Deaf Institute
Band on The Wall
The Castle
Gulliver's (just over the road from The Castle)
The Ruby Lounge

Liverpool

The Zanzibar
The Cavern Club (recreation of the old venue The Beatles used to play in)
The Cavern Pub (right next to the above)
The Lomax
Studio 2 - Parr Street

I hope this helps and I wish you a fantastic trip, shame it's not from the 3rd as I would have loved to have invited you to my bands single launch gig in London.

If you have any questions or queries feel free to get in touch with me as I'll be more than happy to help further.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:11 PM

This is fantastic Juniper. Thank you so much!
Old 02-15-2018, 05:20 PM

Camden in London is also a great place to go. It's an interesting area to go anyway, but you're sure to find some live music in many of he pubs and clubs there!
The Worlds End pub is a bit touristy, but venture below to the Underworld for some great live bands.
Other venues I've enjoyed there -
The Devonshire Arms (locally known as The Dev)
Koko
Proud Camden
Dingwalls
Dublin Castle
Hawley Arms

Look up Camden Rocks for a list of loads of rock pubs!

For bigger venues there are also the old favourites O2 Brixton, Shepherds bush etc

Juniper has covered most of the Manchester and Liverpool venues. If you venture just outside Liverpool, there is also The Citadel in St Helens which is a great little venue. (St Helens isn't the nicest town in England to visit though!!!)
Old 02-15-2018, 06:17 PM
Platinum Member

Juniper pretty much covered the lot. Definitely do Camden as well!

The Cavern Club is a good night. It's cheap to get in and the drink is cheap, which is a good job because it's a sweat box. In Liverpool everything is easy to get to. If you're doing Beatles stuff there's a bit of travelling to get to Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields and their houses but there's tours on all day.

Regarding Irish music you're going to struggle to find anything in England. My wife is Irish so I'm always over there visiting the outlaws myself :). Can't drink Guinness outside of Ireland anymore!

If you're in Liverpool get a daytrip to Dublin and head for Temple Bar. Ryanair might have return flights for 20 from John Lennon Airport 30min flight if that! I'd always recommend the west coast or the wet coast as it should be known just for the seafood chowder but Knock and Shannon airports are in the middle of nowhere.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:46 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 145drummie View Post
This is fantastic Juniper. Thank you so much!
No worries at all, hope you have fun! Some more good shouts below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Cobwebs View Post
Camden in London is also a great place to go. It's an interesting area to go anyway, but you're sure to find some live music in many of he pubs and clubs there!
The Worlds End pub is a bit touristy, but venture below to the Underworld for some great live bands.
Other venues I've enjoyed there -
The Devonshire Arms (locally known as The Dev)
Koko
Proud Camden
Dingwalls
Dublin Castle
Hawley Arms

Look up Camden Rocks for a list of loads of rock pubs!

For bigger venues there are also the old favourites O2 Brixton, Shepherds bush etc

Juniper has covered most of the Manchester and Liverpool venues. If you venture just outside Liverpool, there is also The Citadel in St Helens which is a great little venue. (St Helens isn't the nicest town in England to visit though!!!)

I was horrified last week to find out Proud Camden shuts on March the 3rd as the founder has been forced out by the owners of the building as apparently it’s “tired”. One of the best small venues in london. No doubt another coffee shop or block of flats and a knock to Camden.

Such a shame, had many a great night there both gigging and watching but soon to be closed.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:00 PM

There's also the Jazz Cafe in Camden. Here's what's on over the coming weeks:

http://thejazzcafelondon.com/whats-on
Old 02-15-2018, 08:26 PM

This is all great stuff guys, I really appreciate it.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:20 AM
Platinum Member

On a similar note, on your way between the airport and your London hotel, be sure to ask the cabbie to point out local attractions on the way. Everybody knows about Tower Bridge, Buckingham Palace and Big Ben, but ask him to also take you past Cheddar Gorge, Lake Windermere and Ben Nevis.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:12 PM

:-) That did make me giggle!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
On a similar note, on your way between the airport and your London hotel, be sure to ask the cabbie to point out local attractions on the way. Everybody knows about Tower Bridge, Buckingham Palace and Big Ben, but ask him to also take you past Cheddar Gorge, Lake Windermere and Ben Nevis.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
There must be an inside joke in there somewhere that this American is not getting...

I was thinking of taking a train from Heathrow to our hotel. It looks like a long and expensive taxi ride from the airport to the tower of London area, perhaps I'm mistaken?

While I'm hitting you all up for places to visit, I probably should ask, is there any areas specifically we should AVOID going, especially in the evenings, in any of those cities? I grew up in Chicago so I'm pretty accustomed to an urban environment and paying attention to my surroundings, but still would much rather not have our vacation ruined simply because we walked into the wrong neighborhood.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:09 PM

Definitely take a train :-) The underground goes right into the city.

Ha ha, there's a bit of a joke between Aussies and Brits regarding distances! Aussies think nothing of driving 100s of miles at a time. Ben Nevis is actually up in Scotland, and Windermere up in the Lake district in Northern England, so quite some distance from London.

To be honest, if you stay central in London you are pretty safe. You'd soon know if you'd ventured out of bounds. Hackney used to be bad, but has been revitalised.
In Manchester, Moss side and Long Sight used to be places to avoid, but that may have changed. Again, if you stay central you'll be fine. A lot of the areas that were bad when I was younger have been revitalised.
Liverpool used to be pretty bad, but is now a city of culture, and fairly safe.
In all the Cities, you'll get your share of drunken rowdies outside the trendy bars and the Wetherspoons, but they are easy to stay out of the way of.

Just ask at hotel reception of any hotspots to avoid and they'll usually let you know if there's been any recent trouble.
I've had plenty of good nights out in Manchester and London, and the odd one in Liverpool, and not seen any trouble.

Quote:
There must be an inside joke in there somewhere that this American is not getting...

I was thinking of taking a train from Heathrow to our hotel. It looks like a long and expensive taxi ride from the airport to the tower of London area, perhaps I'm mistaken?

While I'm hitting you all up for places to visit, I probably should ask, is there any areas specifically we should AVOID going, especially in the evenings, in any of those cities? I grew up in Chicago so I'm pretty accustomed to an urban environment and paying attention to my surroundings, but still would much rather not have our vacation ruined simply because we walked into the wrong neighborhood.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:12 PM

I just wanted to pop back in here and thank everyone again. We just returned from our trip yesterday and we had a great time. We were able to take in quite a few performances from local bands in both Manchester and Liverpool thanks to all of your great suggestions, so again, Thank You All Very Much! You have a wonderful country.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:02 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I just wanted to pop back in here and thank everyone again. We just returned from our trip yesterday and we had a great time. We were able to take in quite a few performances from local bands in both Manchester and Liverpool thanks to all of your great suggestions, so again, Thank You All Very Much! You have a wonderful country.
Fantastic, great to hear you both enjoyed your stay.

What venues did you check out in the end if you don't mind me asking?
Old 03-20-2018, 05:30 PM

Went to quite a few in Manchester: The Castle, Gulliver's and Night and Day Cafe. Saw four local bands at Night and Day, it was a Tuesday night EP release party for one of the groups. They were all young groups, maybe late teens, early twenties. Playing their original music. My daughter enjoyed it quite a bit as she is only 18 and not able to see bands live in the clubs yet in the States.

We went to several in Liverpool, as well. I must say, I really, really enjoyed Liverpool. Closest I've seen to Dublin, I would say. Strong Irish presence there and every pub, bar and club seemed to have live music. A lot of civic pride in their city from the locals, too. We went to Wall of Fame, Sgt. Pepper's on Matthew Street, The Cavern Pub, Rubber Soul, McCooley's and The Cavern Club. I wish we would have had more than one night to experience Liverpool. Maybe next trip.

Didn't get much of a chance to go clubbing in London, too busy seeing all of the required historical sites and such. Big, big city, too big to see all of it in a few days unfortunately. But we saw a lot. Mind the Gap!
Old 03-21-2018, 02:01 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Went to quite a few in Manchester: The Castle, Gulliver's and Night and Day Cafe. Saw four local bands at Night and Day, it was a Tuesday night EP release party for one of the groups. They were all young groups, maybe late teens, early twenties. Playing their original music. My daughter enjoyed it quite a bit as she is only 18 and not able to see bands live in the clubs yet in the States.

We went to several in Liverpool, as well. I must say, I really, really enjoyed Liverpool. Closest I've seen to Dublin, I would say. Strong Irish presence there and every pub, bar and club seemed to have live music. A lot of civic pride in their city from the locals, too. We went to Wall of Fame, Sgt. Pepper's on Matthew Street, The Cavern Pub, Rubber Soul, McCooley's and The Cavern Club. I wish we would have had more than one night to experience Liverpool. Maybe next trip.

Didn't get much of a chance to go clubbing in London, too busy seeing all of the required historical sites and such. Big, big city, too big to see all of it in a few days unfortunately. But we saw a lot. Mind the Gap!
Fantastic, great again to hear.

Night and Day is a good venue, played many a fun gig there (found myself back there a couple of months ago when passing through for old times sake and it hasn’t changed in the years since, the gents toilet is probably more graffitied now though!).

Glad you and your daughter enjoyed yourselves in each city. Very pleased for you.