DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:07 AM

Default Drumming after lower Back Fusion

I have had 3 L5 Laminectomies. Now I am faced with a possible fusion of the L5-S1 vertebrae. I will play again. I was curious if anyone has had fusion surgery and what they did to help with motion?

I was advised to change the way my kit is setup so the kick is farther to the right and the tom on stand is next to the kick. The snare can be in the middle and the Hi Hat in a position that does not require turning. The floor tom can also be moved.

I will have a ride on the left and a crash on the right, low and well within arms reach.

I have also been learning e drumming with Yamaha DTX Multi 12 and DTX 430.

(I am selling the gear I cannot use from previous setup)
Old 02-14-2018, 03:09 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Drumming after lower Back Fusion

I have not had back surgery, but I have had my fair share of back problems.

I've never had my set in such a way where I had to twist a lot, but I did end up playing with a 1-up/2-down setup at my church (12" rack, 14" and 16" floor toms). When I started having all of my back problems, I moved my 14" floor tom to the left of my hats. It took some getting used to, but I love it now. I can play my entire set without having to twist a whole lot. I do have to move my elbows back a little when building on the floor toms, but it beats the heck out of having to twist to the right to do it.

Below are a couple of pictures. On change I have made since then is the splash is left of the hats as well now and my "high crash" is about where the splash is in the pics, but everything else is pretty much the same. I'm happy I don't have to set up and tear down each week.

Best of luck!

Old 02-14-2018, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Drumming after lower Back Fusion

Excuse my nonsense, but "fusion surgery" sounds like the name of a Dave Weckl album.