DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 02-13-2018, 07:34 PM
Gold Member

Default Right/Wrong For You Bass Pedal Foot Technique?

I recall back in HS, I was using a heel toe technique I had really developed on my own. Over time, I somehow ended up being a heel down player and got to be fairly quick with the technique, but now really questioning things.

I've sort of hit a wall with regards to speed and now also finding my doubles to be fairly uneven. I watched a bunch of videos on YT and tried the slide technique and also heel toe and wondering if I somehow went off track.

I know foot technique is somewhat personal, but I've noticed I tend to sit up very straight when playing heel toe than heel down, especially if I'm also chicking the hi hats. It forces me to do so, because I just need to balance. Now, in fairness, I'm completely out of shape with this technique, so I tire out pretty quickly and things aren't quite as smooth. I have discovered however, my speed improved far more rapidly than with heel down, so I'm kinda wondering if I was on the wrong path, or just a new thing that's rendering rapid benefit, like things sometimes tend to, before they flatten out.

Slide technique has been a bit interesting and I haven't taken to it as fast, so not sure it's my thing, but curious if others suddenly realized a long utilized technique may have not been the best, or maybe attributed to laziness of sorts.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Did you end up going back or did it rejuvenate your playing?
Old 02-13-2018, 10:39 PM

Default Re: Right/Wrong For You Bass Pedal Foot Technique?

No expert here, but I really don't think you can get significant speed or power heel down. All that I've read indicates that people mostly use that in slower situations where nuance is more important. For me to get fast doubles I have to share between ankle and leg, similar to a push pull type thing with the hands. I have been shaking up my approach a little though since I realized I was hyper focused on doubles and couldn't keep speed with more than two hits in a row. Heel up with the ball of the foot on the sweet spot of the pedal appears to be the ticket at the moment. Still learning.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:47 PM
Gold Member

Jojo Mayer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtAEOGQ5smA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtP98HZ6RAc

Thomas Lang:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0uS-_bzqIo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tia3nieOu0o&t=1077s

I use heel up, heel down, slide, swivel. They all have places. I think you got faster playing heel down because of the shin workout you got doing so.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:59 AM
Gold Member

Oh man! Iíd never seen the Jojo Mayer clip. Definitely canít get anywhere near that speed heel down. Donít think I could get that fast with his technique. :(

Iíve never had to push myself as far as Iíve had to lately, so I guess Iíd never really thought about having to use different techniques. Just thought you were either or. I feel like the guy in the Geico commercial who just crawled out from under his rock!
Old 02-14-2018, 08:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPockets View Post
Jojo Mayer:
I use heel up, heel down, slide, swivel. They all have places.
another vote for "all the things!".

for me, but i never got good at serious heel-down (but do warm up w/ this)...or heel / toe ala Gadd & got into swivel in early 90s thanks to Dom Famularo. got inspired watching George Kollias & swivel really kicking butt for me lately.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:40 AM

If you want to play many different tempo's, styles and dynamic levels, you definitely need a mixture of all techniques, H-up ((1)only leg, (2)only ankle, (3) a mix of both), H-down, swivel, heel-toe, constant release/rocking motions.

Of course, you don't need to learn everything, but a minimum of heel-up and down would be good.

Definitely get JoJo Mayer's secret weapons no.2 if you want to take this further.