20 years of drum kit development summed up...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
How far do you think violin building has come in the last 100 years. What about the harp has changed in the last 200 years? Has the piano changed in the last 300 years?

For drums, much has changed. Overall construction is higher than ever before. Hoops, lugs, mounting systems and plating quality and options are better than ever before. Wood choice, hybrid wood constructions, shell thickness, wood grain orientation, sizes ans depth options are greater than ever before. Drum hardware is more expansive than ever before. Theres heavy duty stands, light duty stands, double pedals, single pedals, direct drive, chain drive, belt drive, collapsable pedals, adjustable cam profiles, etc. Snares made out or magnesium or titanium, entire kits made out of spun aluminum or steel. I could go on and on.

As far as orchestral instruments go, I actually asked a similar question at NAMM this year as I have family that play those.
Most of the responses I got were "Not much. Just the selection of woods and lacquer vary, but the build of the instrument hasn't really changed at all."

That leads me to your drum question.

I'll use DW as an example as John Good is the "Wood guru" always on the hunt for some exotic growth out there to make a kit from. That company has been in the forefront of thinking outside the box in drum set sound and development while others (such as Gretsch), stick with the tried and true method.

Lacquers, wraps and stains have come and gone over the years (except for the aforementioned Gretsch), and IMO, it makes a difference in how a drum will sound off. Add whether it's sealed vs. not sealed, maple, oak, mahogany etc. all factor into this equation.

Then there's the manufacturing process. Some use high heat to seal the glue in the press, others not so high.
Different glues & how thick or thin it's applied, combined with how many layers of wood plies they use all factor into this.

Solid shell? Another topic altogether.

Quality had definitely improved over the years and almost all drum companies build a product that can take a lot of abuse and hard playing. Something you couldn't really say 30 years ago.

No you did not. This is what happens when forum members start threads in the wrong section, and other members, who could refrain, start posting in the thread at the same time I am trying to move it. I moved it to the drum section as others were were still posting in the General Discussion section. I will close this thread and ask that the OP and others please pay more attention to the section where they are posting. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back