DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-10-2018, 03:14 AM

Default Drum charts for more complex songs

Hey,

I am learning a song that jumps around between 9/4, 6/4, 3/4 and 4/4.

I have transcribed the whole thing. Unfortunately, I am not a good-enough reader to just sit there and sight read the whole song. So I am turning to making a chart to learn/play it.

I understand how drum charts work with simple tunes in 4/4 and love how easy the shorthand charts are to write/read. However, I am not too sure what to do with more complex/progressive pieces like how I described above.

Do you approach it in exactly the same manner?
Do you try and get equal numbers of bars running across the page? Even though, the numbers of beats might not add up across a page?

Cheers,

Andy
Old 02-12-2018, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Drum charts for more complex songs

I think one of the main problems I am having is keeping things concise, not just because of multiple time sig. changes.

The main problem are beats that span two bars, i.e. it's not just the same 1 bar phrase that you can repeat., it's built on a two bar repeating phrase.... everything ends up...twice as long!

Lol, maybe there is no way around this ;-/
Old 02-12-2018, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndeeT View Post
The main problem are beats that span two bars, i.e. it's not just the same 1 bar phrase that you can repeat., it's built on a two bar repeating phrase.... everything ends up...twice as long!
Use a two-bar repeat.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:27 PM
Gold Member

I wouldn't sweat it. Make it so it's comfortable for you to read. Doesn't have to be equal amounts of bars from line to line, and dealing with varying time sigs would make it more difficult to do that anyway. If for example you search dream theatre drum charts, you'll see they may have 12 bars on one line, maybe 10 on the next, maybe 8 on the next, and so on.

Regarding repeating patterns, don't forget that you can save time and save space by putting in repeat symbols without having to write that pattern more than once.

Draw an empty measure (bar) after a single bar you want to repeat and put this repeat symbol •/• in the middle of the empty bar. If you need to repeat it several times, just draw more of them consecutively.

For repeating a previous two bar pattern, draw two empty measures and put this •//•
right on the intersecting line between the two empty measures. Again, you can draw more of them if you need to repeat consecutively.

I generally do a draft in pencil to get an idea of how big or small I need to write each bar to be able to fit all the notes in. You don't want half a bar on one line and the other half on the next line. Try and write at a size that a two bar pattern is on one line, and any repeating pairs of that pattern aren't split between two lines. It just makes it easier to read.

Bit of trial and error but you'll get it. There are also other ways to abbreviate repeats. If you wanted to repeat a bar several times, you can write ' x 8' or 'x 16' next to it.
Or in the next empty bar I often just write 'continue same groove for 4 more bars' or 'continue same groove x 4'.

For a two bar pattern or more, instead of writing the repeat symbols I mentioned above, you can put double brackets at each end with a colon inside the brackets. Like this [[: • • • • | • • • • :]]

This means to repeat the two bar pattern ONCE unless otherwise stated. To repeat it more than once, write underneath ' x 4' or however many times you want.