DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 01-15-2018, 05:50 AM

Default Anyone play huge drums?

I'm talking old Dave Grohl, Vinnie Paul, Jean-Paul Gaster sizes. For a while I was curious why there aren't many 14" rack toms, and now, I'm curious to try, say, a 14-15-13, 3 up set up. Would it be a flubbery, blubbery, boomy mess? I think huge short stack toms would look great, kind of like the Spirit Of Lily kit, but a 6 piece.

With a 18" or 20" FT tuned sort of dead, or like a small kick, it could work, no?
Old 01-15-2018, 06:37 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Anyone play huge drums?

Anything can work. If you can play, you can play. Have you not listened to Led Zeppelin? John Bonham was using a 12x15 rack tom over a 14x26 bass drum with 16 and 18 floors. Can't really get larger than that - and his set up was really just a copy of what Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa used back in the day, maybe a little bigger in the rack tom department, and sometimes Gene used a 20" floor tom! The guys in those days played 28" bass drums, and had Buddy lived a little longer, he had a 14x28" bass drum waiting for him to use.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Can't really get larger than that
Bo, I’ve actually found bigger drums, Ringo’s Silver Sparkle Ludwigs he used for the filming of the video “Hello Goodbye”. They had the dimensions of 28”x14” kick, 20”x18” floor tom, 16”x10.5” rack tom, and a MASSIVE 20”x6.5” snare! Apparently, they barely saw any use because Ringo couldn’t wrap his right leg around the huge snare. They were sold in the Julien’s auction in 2015 for $115,200. I threw in some photos of Ringo behind the kit for scale.
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2018, 07:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldReliable View Post
Bo, I’ve actually found bigger drums, Ringo’s Silver Sparkle Ludwigs he used for the filming of the video “Hello Goodbye”. They had the dimensions of 28”x14” kick, 20”x18” floor tom, 16”x10.5” rack tom, and a MASSIVE 20”x6.5” snare! Apparently, they barely saw any use because Ringo couldn’t wrap his right leg around the huge snare. They were sold in the Julien’s auction in 2015 for $115,200. I threw in some photos of Ringo behind the kit for scale.
I remember seeing those pictures! Yep, those are pretty big. In fact, today, Jack White is playing a 16" snare with the Dead Weather. Oddly enough, it sounds like a snare drum though.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:35 AM

I bet "sensitive" is not a word Ringo would use to describe that snare!
Old 01-15-2018, 08:42 AM

Biggest drums I've ever seen was Abe Laborials set at a Paul McCartney concert in bossier city. 16 rack, 18 and 20 floor toms and a 28 kick! Crazy big drums, his sticks are like little baseball clubs too. To be fair the guy is huge himself though
Old 01-15-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsbclontz View Post
Biggest drums I've ever seen was Abe Laborials set at a Paul McCartney concert in bossier city. 16 rack, 18 and 20 floor toms and a 28 kick! Crazy big drums, his sticks are like little baseball clubs too. To be fair the guy is huge himself though
How were they tuned? With drums that massive I'd assume you'd have to pitch them up quite a bit to actually have tone and not like a splat sound.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:23 AM

Big drums come from a time where PA's could only really deal with vocals.

If I had a road crew then I'd entertain it because it sure looks cool.
I never go any larger than 24" BD because I have to carry them.
Maybe this is a compelling reason to have children?

"C'mon kids- let's go".
"TO DISNEYLAND?"
"Don't be silly- daddy has a gig and his 30" bass drum ain't gonna carry itself."

end scene
Old 01-15-2018, 09:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsbclontz View Post
I thought he used just a 15" rack tom, but what's another inch? Abe sounds great on those drums. Such a huge sound, but he's such a heavy hitter too!
Old 01-15-2018, 09:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
How were they tuned? With drums that massive I'd assume you'd have to pitch them up quite a bit to actually have tone and not like a splat sound.
Yes. John Bonham's kit is actually tuned rather tight - that's why they sound like drums. I discovered this myself when I played a 14/18/26 kit, and it was a worthy discovery ;)
Old 01-15-2018, 11:53 AM
Gold Member

I love big bass drums and big floor toms. You have to tune them a lot higher than you think to get the Paice/Bonham sound. Man I miss 26s!

It's big rack toms I can't get on with. I have a 14x10 Ludwig and I haven't used it for years. Got a 12x8 and use that with the 16 and 18 floors. Much easier to play with a 24.

Biggest downside to them is moving them around never mind using them in a small venue. We've all been there!

I'd love to know where Ian Paice's old Ludwig lives these days. 26/16/18/20 from the MK2/3 era.

Cozy Powell played some mad sizes but I loved the red sparkle Ludwig he had in Rainbow.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I thought he used just a 15" rack tom, but what's another inch? Abe sounds great on those drums. Such a huge sound, but he's such a heavy hitter too!
You might be right I need to double check

I read an article on it after the show because I was interested in why he chose to play drums so big. He said that because he plays in stadiums that he needed bigger drums to project more. I think that it's just an excuse to play monster sized drums but they actually sound pretty good. He tuned them a little higher and got a lot of tone out of them. Like I said he used giant sticks, so that could be part of it... I wonder if he used a giant bass beater too because that would only make sense right?
Old 01-15-2018, 05:25 PM
Platinum Member

I bought an old Slingerland 28" bass drum on a whim. Took some work to tune up because it is a single tension drum. I had been wanting a big bass drum since I started playing. It's fun to play at home but it it just so boomy and doesn't have the definition that my smaller drums have.

I did have fun taking it to an outdoor gig though, big ol' drum like that carries very well.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 01-15-2018, 10:21 PM
Platinum Member

What a amazing cool coincidence.
Mick Fleetwood's old kit with huge sizes:

Quote:
The black five piece vintage ludwigs use to be owned by Mick Fleetwood. They have a long story behind them. Mick used them recording and touring then the original Fleetwood Mac broke up and Mick became Bob Welch's manager. He hired a studio drummer by the name of Lee Kixx to play for him and gave him this set so it also toured with Lee while playing for Bob Welch. .I believe they are the drums used to record ebony eye's. I bought them from Lee in about 1984.They were silver sparkle but at the time I was in a metal band and they made me recover them black to fit our persona. Wish I didn't do that but done is done. If I had not they would be worth10 times more. You can see in the pics they could use new exterior. I have pics of them before I had them recovered and emails of conversations with Le Kixx and links to youtube videos of Mick and Lee playing them. Lee said he could be contacted if there were any more questions. The shells are in very good shape but covers not so good. The drum dimensions are / Bass drum 28" x 18" deep so it uses a 28" head. This is a custom drum to my knowledge ludwig made just for Mick. Two floor toms one is 18" x 16" so 18" head and the other 20"x 18" so 20" head. Again, how many 20" floor toms do you see? Rack toms are 14"x10" deep and 14"x12"deep.This 14x12 has extra lugs and i believe it is also custom made. also selling a Tama bronze piccolo used maybe ten times 2 1/2"x14"$175 add $50 for case obo and Ludwig supraphonic 5"x 14" $175+ $50 for case obo
Feel free to email me with any questions or for more pics.Thanks
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/msg...453693972.html

#YamahaDrummers
@YamahaDrummers

www.musiqoundsproductions.com
Old 02-06-2018, 06:49 PM

I do at home and on rock gigs. Got a 22"x20" cannon kick, 14"x12" floor tom (as a rack), 16"x16" and 18"x18" floors.
All this makes the kit look low and flat and with the bigger tom sizes, it's nice and boomy.

I cut my drumming teeth as a teenager in the mid 80's where "power tom" sizes were all the rage. Seems some habits and desires are hard to break.
I've made bop kits in really small sizes and play a 16" foot tom and 10" popcorn snare at my acoustic gigs.
So I'm not beyond going small when needed, but I do prefer the larger sizes as it makes drumming fun for me.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:08 PM

Guy on here named Hexhammer posted a video of him playing not too long ago. Pretty Huge Toms.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...d.php?t=140130

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWqXRxhKePg
Old 02-07-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderRoss View Post
I do at home and on rock gigs. Got a 22"x20" cannon kick, 14"x12" floor tom (as a rack), 16"x16" and 18"x18" floors.
All this makes the kit look low and flat and with the bigger tom sizes, it's nice and boomy.

I cut my drumming teeth as a teenager in the mid 80's where "power tom" sizes were all the rage. Seems some habits and desires are hard to break.
I've made bop kits in really small sizes and play a 16" foot tom and 10" popcorn snare at my acoustic gigs.
So I'm not beyond going small when needed, but I do prefer the larger sizes as it makes drumming fun for me.

Got pics?

I piecemealed a kit together, recently added a tom and I thought the best bang/buck was Tama Rockstar. The look of the 13x12 has really grown on me. Tonally, I don't think it matter a TON vs say, 13x9 or 10, but I am warming up to the look. I love how deep kicks look but honestly don't see the need. I always planned a custom kit eventually and imagine I would end up with something like 22x14.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:01 PM
Gold Member

Yep and big cymbals too!
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerendrad View Post
Guy on here named Hexhammer posted a video of him playing not too long ago. Pretty Huge Toms.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...d.php?t=140130

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWqXRxhKePg
Hei there! :D Thanks for sharing my video! Appreciated!

Here's a fresh pic from few days ago.(We got a sweet deal for free studio time and the place was no joke, world class equipment all the way.)

Bassdrums are usual 22"x16"(I'm on the lookout for another 24"x18" Tour Custom BD.), snare is 14"x8", rack toms are 12", 14" and 15" square sizes and floor toms are 16"x16" and 18"x16".

I just recently started using this kit and I'm loving it. The deep toms are awesome. Power tom is a very fitting description for these things, the projection and volume is phenomenal and they're nicely sensitive too with right tuning. Only require maybe a bit more oomph to really open up than regulars. If I could only find the other 24" kick but these damn things seem to be rare.

EDIT:
Actually I'll add this here too, my cymbals aren't all tiny either. ;)

Old 02-07-2018, 02:52 PM
Platinum Member

I think bigger drums sound like they'd be a lot of fun if someone else was carrying them, setting them up, and tearing them down. Also, if the music you are playing calls for it, then play them and have fun. I know that they simply would not work for the kind of music I'm playing these days, which is praise and worship at church in addition to an Americana band who plays relatively small stages.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm feeling a lot of sympathy for that tiny little "L" arm holding that huge rack tom!
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2018, 03:31 PM
Silver Member

Big kits are only for the young, or dudes that just play them in the basement, or players that have roadies and don't have to schlep their own gear. I can't imagine lugging monsters around to gigs.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlin' Bones View Post
Big kits are only for the young, or dudes that just play them in the basement, or players that have roadies and don't have to schlep their own gear. I can't imagine lugging monsters around to gigs.
I play big drums because they sound right for the music I do, and I ALWAYS take my own gear on gigs when I have the chance. My band mates are cool enough to help me out with it as they want that sound and looks on the gigs too. But I still do most of hauling all that stuff around.

I don't mind, I'm not lazy. Its been worth the effort so far. I've got much praise from other metal drummers for the stuff I have... The only thing they might complain about are tom angles, bu most don't mind that. I think 90% of all rock and metal drummers I have seen play with either small or regular setups and they seem to go totally bonkers when they get to play something bigger than that. :D
Old 02-07-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
I think bigger drums sound like they'd be a lot of fun if someone else was carrying them, setting them up, and tearing them down. Also, if the music you are playing calls for it, then play them and have fun. I know that they simply would not work for the kind of music I'm playing these days, which is praise and worship at church in addition to an Americana band who plays relatively small stages.
The fun factor is phenomenal, take my word for it. :D It is quite a lot of work to haul all that stuff all over the place, but some times sacrifices must be made to have THE sound the music requires. Haha, that would be crazy, play in a church with some monster setup with 26" kicks and nine toms or something. I bet it would be just a little bit out of place there. But playing rock or heavy metal, big drums are really at home in that environment.

The downside for me is to setup everything nicely. Its so much easier to play a smaller setup with everything low and flat. If I would play different kind of music, I would definitely switch to four or five piece with shallow toms. Ride + Hi-hat and two crashes to go with it. Its so effortless to play. For heavy metal, I'll definitely keep using huge drums, it just fits.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexhammer View Post

Haha, that would be crazy, play in a church with some monster setup with 26" kicks and nine toms or something. I bet it would be just a little bit out of place there.
If I'm not mistaken, the guy who owns this is a pastor.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the guy who owns this is a pastor.

Oh this one, I've seen it before. xD And its ridiculous. Would be fun to try it out and see how many sounds can be got out of all that. Could take a while.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:05 PM
Platinum Member

Is 24 - 16 -12 huge enough? Can I be in the club?
Old 02-07-2018, 08:14 PM

13/16/18/24 here, but the 18 doesn't travel with me.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:17 PM

I'm jealous of you guys with your 24" kicks. xD
Old 02-08-2018, 04:23 AM

I traded my Gretsch Renown Walnut 10-12-14-20 to a good friend for his Ludwig CM 9x12 - 16x18 - 14x26 last year. I've been wanting a kit with a 26, and lucked out without having to shell out 2500 for a special order or kit on ebay. I ordered a 16x16 floor tom to match come tax time (last year) as well as some Ludwig Atlas mounts to try and mount the 12 over the bass drum. I decided to play it on a gig with my classic rock cover band, thinking that it would be too much bass drum, and that after that gig it will only reside in the basement whenever I want to get my Bonham rocks off, because it was too loud for the room.

Except that it wasn't. It was perfect. The Ludwigs played so well, they made me a fan. It fit with the music so well, I'm hoping that it will fit in some more contexts.
I've even gone 24 with my main gigging kit. Big drums are where it's at. Except for acoustic jazz, but then again, Tony did it.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:46 PM

I have old 2 old TAMA Rockstar kits with deep power toms 8,10, 12, 13, 16, 22 + 24 kicks
and a 10,12,14,16 rack toms 18 floor and 2x22 kicks
Love them
I dont understand the small drums
Attached Images

Last edited by Judge; 02-18-2018 at 12:03 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlin' Bones View Post
Wrong and wrong. Im late 40s I have 2 big drum kits and i bring them to my gigs. I also workout 4x a week. Exercise is good for you ;)