DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 02-09-2018, 07:43 PM

Default Sonor essential force vs pearl decade

Hello everyone,

I want to upgrade my horrible steel snare with a wood one. A 14"55

I'm looking either on the pearl decade maple snare or the sonor essential force birch snare. In terms of price they are the same and it's all I can afford right now. I know birch is different than maple. I could only hear the sound through thoman website and both sounded good and I know that it all can be adjusted with tunning wires and heads.

My question is I play mainly rock grunge or similar or much of funk. I love the sound of a high tuned top snare with that attack and that's what I'm mainly looking for. I'm not too much of an 80"s mid tunned snare and I want to have one that I could use for different styles also (blues jazz funk) apart from mainly hard rock.

Between the two which one would you recommend?

Thanks for all the inputs.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:01 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Sonor essential force vs pearl decade

Pearl maple. I'm a big maple snare fan, and never ever had a Pearl snare I didn't like.
Go online and listen to many sound samples, not just Thomann. Only you know the answer.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:50 AM
Platinum Member

I normally wouldn't peddle a certain type of snare but when Pearl sent me a 8x14 Utility snare (also in your price range), at first I was skeptical. Then I started to play around with it.

If you are looking for a nice woody body, but you want to crank it up tight for definition without sounding too thin, I'm convinced snares in the 8" deep range are the way to go. I now own three different 8x14 wood snares and just love it. If you want it tight and funky, it can go there, as well as deep and thuddy if you need that too. But the presence produced by a deep shell just can't be duplicated by a shallow shell, especially if you go to a tight, funky tuning.

I usually leave my snare at a medium tuning most of the time but I'm convinced the depth is what makes that sound. I'm not even so sure it's the material, either. I also had a Ludwig 8x14 Supralite, and that drum really delivered pop, crack and depth too (also in your price range).

The only down side is if you're short (like me), you will need a snare stand that will go low enough to accommodate the deep snare, but I think it's worth it.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:24 AM

Thanks for the inputs.

an 8" for me I think it would be a little strange to play. I'm also a short guy, and playing such depth would feel very strange...
Old 02-12-2018, 06:15 PM

Lots of people who are happy with mid range drum kits tend to upgrade the snare and sell the stock one via eBay etc.

I bought a Tama Superstar Birch snare on evil bay for 50 (which was great until I dropped it!)

I then bought a Mapex Meridian Birch snare for around 40 (the throw feels a bit cheap and basic but it works OK - I am tempted to replace the snare mechanism with the one from the Tama but can't be arsed to drill the shell)

Although I bought new heads for both snares when I got them, both ended up costing a total of about half of the new price.

If you can play the waiting game Mapex Black Panther snares seem come up fairly frequently on eBay auction and seem to sell for around 125 - 150, which is a similar price to a snare supplied with a mid range drum set, they are mainly the 'older' versions with different design lugs and badges, but the shells are basically the same.

I don't know what the situation or pricing policy for used gear is in Portugal but I'd definitely check it out before buying a drum you may want to upgrade later.