DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 02-07-2018, 09:42 PM

Default Slide/skip technique & downbeat volume

Hey y'all, I'm in the woodshed nearly every day and have encountered an issue with my bass drum technique...or lack of, as the case may be. I'm sure this topic has been discussed, as it seems as though foot speed is a fairly talked about subject. However, after literally weeks of searches, I have not been able to find what I'm looking for.

Getting to it...it seems that my natural tendency is to aim for the second note of my doubles/diddles when I kick the confounded contraption that sits behind my bass drum (the pedal) and the first note can be light, graced, or sometimes even nonexistent, while the second note is nice and full. It's quite frustrating. I'm really aiming for a controlled throw of the beater off of the drumhead and it's very aggravating when that first note is a wounded duck. Has anyone else had this issue and conquered it?

Thanks a bunch!
Old 02-08-2018, 01:18 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Slide/skip technique & downbeat volume

Slow it down. A lot. LOL for real, though.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:32 AM
Platinum Member

Yup. slow down and practice it like that at same volume.

also, if you "slide/skip" too far forward you generate more power further up the pedal.

when i do that technique my foot really only slides up a 1/2 inch or a cm or so.

when you practice doubles on your hands you work out RRLLRRLLRRLL by hitting the notes first. not bouncing. do the same for your feet. practice slow.

RLKKRLKKRLKK RRKKRRKKRRKK LLKKLLKKLLKK KKRLKKRLKKRL things like that and work on making every note count.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:08 PM
Platinum Member

I like watching Colin Bailey bass drum videos-he just basically lays his foot on the pedal, finds the "sweet spot" (the key), and then heel down foot flat on pedal goes to town with excellent dexterity (his heel will barely come off at times). He's got complete control to feather it, slam it, play any combination of notes. He makes it look so easy.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:52 PM
Platinum Member

Practice strings of (single pedal) 16ths. Focus on consistency in both volume and sound.

I also recommend playing standard rock beat with all your other limbs and moving through sub-divisions on your bass drum foot. 1 bar quarters, one bar eights one bar trips and one bar 16ths before repeating. Make sure you don't vary the time on your other limbs.

It's crazy how well this gets my foot in shape for whatever else I want to do.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAgrippa View Post
I like watching Colin Bailey bass drum videos-he just basically lays his foot on the pedal, finds the "sweet spot" (the key), and then heel down foot flat on pedal goes to town with excellent dexterity (his heel will barely come off at times). He's got complete control to feather it, slam it, play any combination of notes. He makes it look so easy.
Yes he's great, I've been working out of his book for some weeks now, and it has paid off. I think he recommends playing heel down until you reach somewhere by the 80bpm mark 16th notes.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:57 PM

Wow, great information! I definitely agree with taking slower tempos to develop consistency in the stroke. I think I was getting away from that and trying to go too fast before my muscle memory could wrap itself around the technique. I've checked out the Colin Bailey vids too (along with just about every other foot speed YouTube video) and he's amazing. Lately though, I've been trying to get off the interwebs and play...the information is there, but it's up to me to put foot to pedal and make it happen.

I'm currently running a few exercises daily to help develop my foot speed. First, I run a breakdown of 16th note partials (two bars each of: 1e, e&, &ah, 1ah) while keeping eighths on the hats and 2&4 on snare. Second, I cycle through RLKK, LRKK, RRKK, LLKK, RKKL, LKKR...I have a few more exercises that I'll run for about an hour or so daily. It's slow goings, and I'm striving for consistency over all else...but, of course I ultimately want to speed up the metronome and see how fast I can rip through it.

At the end of the day this is really just for me though. I do a lot of country and singer/songwriter gigs around town and I don't think many folks would dig me rippin' some fast bd doubles during a Patsy Cline tune. It's just nice to have in the ol' bag of tricks.

Thanks y'all, it was nice to get a reminder to slow it down and focus on the basic stroke!

-Jeff
Old 02-09-2018, 12:12 AM
Platinum Member

"I also recommend playing standard rock beat with all your other limbs and moving through sub-divisions on your bass drum foot. 1 bar quarters, one bar eights one bar trips and one bar 16ths before repeating. Make sure you don't vary the time on your other limbs." That's a nice exercise Doc-I want to try that. I like to play melodies on my kick that has doubles and triplets and quadruples-like Bolero', Lone Ranger/William Tell Overture, and other songs-the only problem with that is it can start a bad habit of playing the melody on the kick.Today I was just working alternating my hands and feet playing doubles, triplets and combinations with a pattern at various tempos with a metronome. I've gotten so use to playing melodies it's way easier for me to do that than play an alternating pattern on kick-so I'm going to work on that.