DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear

Drum Gear Reviews and Discussions of Drums - Pedals - Cymbals - Sticks - Heads - Electronic Drums

Old 02-06-2018, 01:42 PM

Default Paiste PST 7s

Hi, my first set of hi-hats after transitioning from e-kit are the PST7 medium. I like them a lot, they sound great!

As I'm building my kit piece by piece and making use of rehearsal studios, I'm looking to buy crash and ride cymblas next. The rehearsal room hires out cymbals and luckily (or so I thought!) they have a PST 7 crash, so I thought I can test before I buy one. But honestly, I don't particularly like it (its a 16" medium I think)! I see there's a few versions of this cymbal though (sizes and thickness) - does anyone have any experience of comparing them? Perhaps a larger, "thin" crash is the one to go for?

If I wasn't going for a PST 7 crash, what else would be a good match for my hi-hats?
Old 02-06-2018, 11:48 PM

Default Re: Paiste PST 7s

Depends what you don't like about the 16. Pitch, tone etc etc.

What sounds good to me might not sound good to you, but since the paistes are b8, you might want to listen to some Sabian B8 Pros. Just bought one for my son to practice with, it has what I think of as that B8 shimmer/glassy sound but not too harsh to my tinitus-ravaged ears. Good price too.

Others may say 'buy used pro' and they're right IF you know what sound you like, imo.

The paiste website sound files are renowned for being accurate so check those out too.

BTW with pst7s if it doesn't say thin or heavy then it's a medium.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:04 AM
Platinum Member

To be honest, hi-hats don't necessarily need to be very good-sounding cymbals in and of themselves to work well as hi-hats. At one point I used a brass Pearl cymbal over a Camber B8 cymbal to get a certain sound. They get most of their sound from the edge-to-edge contact and the stick than from the outward/upward projection of the actual cymbals.

But when it comes to crashes, beginner cymbals aren't designed for the spread or frequency range that more carefully made cymbals can muster. This isn't necessarily related to cost - we've seen cymbals by Wuhan, Dream, etc. that are relatively inexpensive but sound very sophisticated. Neither is it a B8 issue - Paiste 2002s and Alphas are frequently cites as professional-grade B8 formula cymbals with top-shelf sound.

I usually suggest scaling up to "pro-quality" for crashes, to at least "intermediate quality" for ride cymbals, and leave hi-hats for the last major upgrade foe newer players.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:44 PM

Default Re: cymbals to match hi-hats (pst7)

update to this - I've ended up with a random assortment of vintage cymbals now! -

Paiste Rude 16" Crash/Ride (dates from c. 1981)
krut special 18" (1960s I think)
krut special 20" (ditto)

Still trying to decide if I like this combination, but its getting me by just now!

Last edited by davor; 04-16-2018 at 05:48 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-17-2018, 04:19 AM

Just throwing this out for gee whiz information. When I was very young I had a KRUT cymbal and had no freakin idea who made it. About two months ago I posed the question on the Premier drum users page on Facebook to see if anyone had ever heard of KRUT cymbals from years ago. One older guy told me that back in the 70's Premier wanted to introduce a low budget beginner cymbal so they did and called it KRUT because it was TURK spelled backwards and they didn't know what else to call it. I remember that I had one and despised it and everything about the way it sounded. But that is the information I came up with. Just thought I'd pass it along. I love all of my Paiste Alpha (A)'s

Paiste Alpha (A) 20" Power Ride
Alpha (A) 18" medium crash
Alpha (A) 16" medium crash
Alpha (A) 13" sound edge hats
And a 10" Alpha (A) splash that I'm going to take to the range and
use a metal target for my Mini-30 at 100 yards because it sucks.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:26 AM

Yeah I've gleaned that info elsewhere (although I think I read Ringo used one when he started out which would date them much earlier than the 70s) Anyway, I mostly read bad things about these cymbals but mine actually sound pretty decent.

(probably not well matched the Paiste rude though hahaha)
Old 04-28-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
To be honest, hi-hats don't necessarily need to be very good-sounding cymbals in and of themselves to work well as hi-hats. At one point I used a brass Pearl cymbal over a Camber B8 cymbal to get a certain sound. They get most of their sound from the edge-to-edge contact and the stick than from the outward/upward projection of the actual cymbals.

But when it comes to crashes, beginner cymbals aren't designed for the spread or frequency range that more carefully made cymbals can muster. This isn't necessarily related to cost - we've seen cymbals by Wuhan, Dream, etc. that are relatively inexpensive but sound very sophisticated. Neither is it a B8 issue - Paiste 2002s and Alphas are frequently cites as professional-grade B8 formula cymbals with top-shelf sound.

I usually suggest scaling up to "pro-quality" for crashes, to at least "intermediate quality" for ride cymbals, and leave hi-hats for the last major upgrade foe newer players.

100% this. I use an older, cheap Sabian AAX 16" crash over a 16" Camber
as my hats, and have no complaints. I was also willing to use Wuhan hats before prices went up. I also like some of the SR2 hats I have heard, a lot. None of my other cymbals are what I would consider 'non pro'. Jason Roeder, from Sleep and Neurosis, uses two cut down cracked rides as his hats. Hi hats are where your money goes the farthest. Some people even really like sheet bronze hats for recording, and I've never heard anyone say that about crashes or rides.

There is nothing at all wrong with mismatching hats, either, especially if you can find a used bottom, which you can. Again, my bottom hat right now is a $30 Camber crash that I didn't like the sound of, as a crash. Hats don't usually resonate openly, and the bottom hat never does.