DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-23-2018, 02:02 PM

Default Albums that had a huge impact on your current playing?

I saw on one of Tom Morello's Instagram posts earlier this week that it was the 16th anniversary of Audioslave's debut album which contained timeless classics like Conchise, Show me how to live and Like a Stone. I was besotted with this album when it came out and used to drum along to many of the tunes for hours at a time. Then I lost interest in the album (as you tend do when you over-listen to something) until I saw the Instagram post by TM. So after many years I decided to have a listen to that album again and I was astounded by how much Brad Wilk's drumming on that album influenced my current style of playing - simple grooves, lots of variance between hats and ride, variance in tightness of the hats, wash-riding etc. Most of my current traits I hear on that album. Which led me to the conclusion that - albeit subconsciously at the time - listening to and playing along to that album over and over again many years ago, moulded my general playing into what it is now, 16 years later.

Are there any albums (as opposed to drummers or specific songs) that you can attribute much of your current playing stykle to?
Old 11-23-2018, 02:36 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Albums that had a huge impact on your current playing?

Go West by Go West. Many of the Tom runs by Tony Beard, would end with a slow double on the bass drum before a crash cymbal. He also would crash a beat behind where you’d expect someone to crash. Although I never played along with the album it has shaped how I do fills. I once recorded with a band and the engineer said afterwards how the drum track in isolation sounded “wrong” but once the guitars and vocal were laid on he saw how it worked.

Restless And Wild by Accept. In the title track there’s a fill that goes between the snare and the hi hat closing as the bass drum is struck. As a young drummer I couldn’t quite figure it out at first, when I did it became a staple fill for years.

Flaunt It by Sigue Sigue Sputnik. There’s a rhythm in one of their songs that I realised had travelled into my consciousness by osmosis when I listened to it again for the first time in years.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:45 PM
Platinum Member

Karizma - "Document"

Michael Landau Group Live

Five Peace Band

Joni Mitchell - "Wild Things Run Fast"

Anything by Tower of Power

Basically, some of my all time favourites. The difference is that I can play some of it now.
Old 11-23-2018, 03:07 PM
Silver Member

The albums that influenced the most my drumming are, of course, the one i've listened the most.
Mostly Marillion albums (Fish period) pink Floyd and Deep Purple (best of).

Last edited by Tamaefx; 11-23-2018 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-23-2018, 03:37 PM

Steely Dan's Aja was, and still is, a HUGE album for me. My drum teacher at the time raved about it. Many lessons were built around those tracks. I loved it then, and still do.

Next, Frank Zappa's Overnite Sensation, Apostrophe, and Roxy and Elsewhere albums. I bought/listened to everything Zappa released, but those three were special. Loaded with rhythmic gold!

Last edited by sumdrumguy; 11-23-2018 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-23-2018, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member

Jeff era Toto, the last 2 albums (Seventh One/Kingdom of Desire). He's always been a guy that you can listen to one of his drum parts and think man that's perfect.

The guy nails feel but leads the band, just what a good drummer should do.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member

Roger Hawkins, the Muscle Shoals drummer....on early Aretha Franklin records.
Led Zeppelin II - Lemon Song, What is And What Should Never Be, Heartbreaker.
First stuff I played along to after getting a set of drums. Like you I played along over and over.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:49 PM

James Brown's In The Jungle Groove. I know that it was a rarities collection when it was released and the tracks wouldn't be considered rarities anymore, but hearing Jabo and Clyde for the first time.. It made me totally rethink my playing.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:00 PM

Bleach-Nirvana

Dookie-Green Day

Paranoid/War Pigs- Black Sabbath
Old 11-23-2018, 08:18 PM
Gold Member

Chicago II ,25 or 6 to 4.

When I listen to my playing ,it's amazing how many Danny Seraphine licks I stole.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:26 PM

For me, it was definitely Ten Summoner's Tales by Sting. Vinnie's playing throughout is so tasteful and spot-on, especially on the track Seven Days. But I think the way he approached 7/8 on Saint Augustine in Hell has had the most lasting impact. To this day, the way he emphasized the bell of his ride in 4/4 over the 7/8 groove (so it resolves itself every other measure) is how I often approach 7/8.

That whole album is a true masterwork in how to play interesting drum parts that elevate the song.

Last edited by TK-421; 11-23-2018 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:14 PM

For me it's Death's SYMBOLIC. Gene Hoglan is a major influence for me. Imagine how I felt 20+ years ago (before the interwebs), when I found out that he is also a lefty who plays open handed on a right handed kit. Maybe thats why his playing appealed to me so much?

DW, Sabian, Axis, Gibraltar
Old 11-24-2018, 06:22 AM
Gold Member

I would have to say the first Bad Company LP. Simon Kirk gives a textbook lesson in how to play for the song.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsits View Post
I would have to say the first Bad Company LP. Simon Kirk gives a textbook lesson in how to play for the song.
I've never taken lessons, but I credit Bad Company's debut album, Boston's debut, and Whitesnake's Slide It In for teaching me how to drum.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:11 AM
Platinum Member

I don't really listen to albums much anymore. I mostly just learn songs that my country band plays, and then I stream quite a few styles of music, from smooth jazz to death metal. In my early yrs there were many and Bad Co. s 1st was one of them, Others were Grand Funk Survival, Deep Purple Made In Japan, Black Sabbath Paranoid, Led Zeppelin IV to name a few.
Sabian AA,AAX,HH,
Paiste Sig.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:16 PM
Gold Member

I wouldn't say my current playing but hearing Mitch Mitchell on Hendrix's 'Axis: Bold as Love' was an absolute revelation as a young boy.

The Who's 'Live at Leeds' and Paul Wellers 'Stanley Road' were others.

The latter even more important now I've changed as a player and that album is still to this day a massive inspiration.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:09 PM
Silver Member

..................... TOMMY by the Who .....................
Old 11-26-2018, 06:21 PM

Siamese Dream by The Smashing Pumpkins.
Jimmy Chamberlin magic.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:29 PM
PorkPieGuy
This message has been deleted by PorkPieGuy. Reason: I want to rewrite my answer.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Label View Post

Are there any albums (as opposed to drummers or specific songs) that you can attribute much of your current playing style to?
None.

Albums that had a major influence on me when I first started were 311 (self-titled), Goldfinger (self-titled), Under the Table and Dreaming (Dave Matthews), and Clumsy (Our Lady Peace).

I can't tell you the last time I listened of any of these on a regular basis. It has to be over 15-20 years ago. These days, I'm playing a lot of country/Americana music which has absolutely nothing to do with any of these albums.

Great question though. :)
Old 11-26-2018, 07:42 PM

UFO's Strangers in the Night.
Andy Parker's drumming on that live masterpiece takes him through all the styles and dynamics while perfectly adding to the MUSIC. 100% solid.

Last edited by Armor of Light; 11-26-2018 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:59 PM

I'd say what one of my biggest influences has been, but it's downright embarrassing compared to some of the answers that have been posted.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:16 PM

Many years ago when i was in 7th and 8th grade just about every day after school i would go home and play these 3 albums start to finish:

King Diamond - Conspiracy

King Diamond - Them

Guns n Roses - Appetite For Destruction

So a lot of whatever my 'style' may be probably comes from Mikkey Dee and Steven Adler.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:47 AM

Lateralus by Tool still blows my mind.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:25 AM
Administrator - Mayor

Anything with Jimmy Smith playing the B3 and Grady Tate on drums
Old 11-27-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickg View Post
I'd say what one of my biggest influences has been, but it's downright embarrassing compared to some of the answers that have been posted.
hahahaha!!! I hear you brother :-) Ringo, Charlie Watts, Phil Rudd, Don Henley ...... even Lars Ulrich,....... were huge influences on me. Maybe that explains why I still am a rather basic drummer with not many fancy chops and fills. But I love to groove.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I saw on one of Tom Morello's Instagram posts earlier this week that it was the 16th anniversary of Audioslave's debut album which contained timeless classics like Conchise, Show me how to live and Like a Stone. I was besotted with this album when it came out and used to drum along to many of the tunes for hours at a time. Then I lost interest in the album (as you tend do when you over-listen to something) until I saw the Instagram post by TM. So after many years I decided to have a listen to that album again and I was astounded by how much Brad Wilk's drumming on that album influenced my current style of playing - simple grooves, lots of variance between hats and ride, variance in tightness of the hats, wash-riding etc. Most of my current traits I hear on that album. Which led me to the conclusion that - albeit subconsciously at the time - listening to and playing along to that album over and over again many years ago, moulded my general playing into what it is now, 16 years later.

Are there any albums (as opposed to drummers or specific songs) that you can attribute much of your current playing stykle to?
I've noticed my grooving has a certain amount of swing to it - I can do the straight 8th-note grooves, but I tend to swing more than I should rock. And as I look back on my upbringing, there were two influential albums that probably got me unconsciously, but I do remember trying to play to them since I was six. They were both on the Crown label (I believe it was a precursor to the west coast swing that began to come out of Los Angeles), one was "The West Coast Jazz of Gerry Mulligan" that had Chico Hamilton on drums, and the other was just "Bud Shank" by saxophonist Bud Shank - the drummer wasn't listed but I think it was Stan Levey. I would spend hours playing swing along to these two records.

I was so happy I found them on CD just recently. It makes me feel good to have had parents who listened to so much jazz - I feel like I got to hear all the great players before I was ten and knew who to emulate.

Like everyone else, I got with my contemporaries, but those two albums got me swingin' before rockin' ;)
Old 11-27-2018, 02:19 PM
Platinum Member

When I first started studying drum set, I was developing big band chops. So it was anything I could get my hands on by Basie and other popular swing bands of the 40's.
When I moved towards rock and pop playing, a few of the C.D.'s I loved playing along to were:
Peter Gabriel- So
Level 42- Running in the Family
Paul Simon - Graceland
Moody Blues- The other Side of Life

Last edited by Jeremy Bender; 11-28-2018 at 03:13 AM.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:44 PM
Platinum Member

Mine would be Tarkus from ELP.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:29 PM
Gold Member

Gosh thats a good one OP. I listen to so much, but what has influenced my current playing....hmmm. At this stage i just want to make music sound as yummy and dynamic and feel good as possible, tricks, patterns, licks, fireworks, etc dont drive me the way they used to. Id say the what has influenced my current playing the most has been listening to Jim Gordon and falling in love with his thing and approach. Cant really isolate albums per say, but his body of work in general. His playing on Johnny Rivers Last Boogie in Paris, to me, just sets the bar for hired gun drummer on a live gig. The feels he cops, the energy, the way he drives the band, sets the tone....its unreal! So yea, Jim.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
hahahaha!!! I hear you brother :-) Ringo, Charlie Watts, Phil Rudd, Don Henley ...... even Lars Ulrich,....... were huge influences on me. Maybe that explains why I still am a rather basic drummer with not many fancy chops and fills. But I love to groove.
In my case it's an early 90s record where Bobby Rock was the drummer. LOL!

Seriously though, I pulled out that record on a lark a while back, kind of to laugh at some of the stuff I listened to back then, and listening to the drumming I was like, "oh...I do that...and that....and that...." To be fair, there are some cool licks on that record, but it's embarrassing because it's not held in very high regard at this point.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:42 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickg View Post
..In my case it's an early 90s record where Bobby Rock was the drummer. LOL!..

Are we speaking about the worldwide acknowledged ROCKHEROES of Nelson..?

Lol..
Old 11-27-2018, 09:57 PM

I walked into a record store in the mid 70's and the guy who worked there was playing "Believe It" by Tony Williams. Inspired by that, shortly thereafter I stumbled upon "Enigmatic Ocean" by Jean Luc Ponty. (Steve Smith). Both had a big impact on my playing. Alan Holdsworth also played guitar on both.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskoolsoul View Post
Are we speaking about the worldwide acknowledged ROCKHEROES of Nelson..?

Lol..
Hahahaha! Yep! Seriously though, it's amazing how much of that album for how I hear and feel drumming stuck with me.

To be fair, I wasn't yet even 21 at the time, I was going through an awful breakup, and those songs just kind of spoke to me and helped to brighten my days. I also wasn't a drummer at that time - I was a full-time Army trumpet player.

In any case, that, and a lot of the other rock from the late 1980s is kind of what I gravitate to stylistically as a player.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:51 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Kansas' first 3 albums. Chicago Transit Authority. Grand Funk Railroads first few. Lynyrd Skynyrd's first few. Deep purples first few. Close To The Edge.

And Hal Blaine.

Ringo too.

Oh and Jim Gordon.

Can't leave out Roger Hawkins.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:55 PM
Silver Member

Alive II from KISS was huge for me. The drum solo in the middle of God of Thunder got me interested in drumming while still in single digit age.

A Show of Hands by Rush did a lot. Seeing Neil play the way he did while still in HS changed my direction of playing.

Then Dave Weckl's Master Plan and Steve Gadd's work on Dave Grusin's album Out of the Shadows got in the mix and I learned even more.

Not much from modern talent, but I'm always on the lookout.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:10 PM
Gold Member

Although I mostly grew up on rock, pop rock as a youngster, when I started playing I was drawn to hip hop beats and enjoyed trying to play the ones I was hearing. I think I still try to cop that feel and that style creeps into my playing. That too, besides the Jim thing.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:28 AM

In my early years, starting out in the mid-90's, I believe Metallica - Black album formed me a lot as a player, as well as Green Day - Dookie and The Offspring - Smash. Later on I got more into the thrash metal genre, so albums like Master Of Puppets, Testament - The New Order and Slayer - Reign In Blood formed me a lot. Hard to pick out one over the other though, but when I think of drummers that I caught my eye on and probably tried to emulate quite a bit, I think of John Tempesta (especially during his Testament years) and probably Mike Portnoy as well. I don't feel like a copycat though, just picking some tricks here and there and tried to develop my own style further on.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:56 PM
Silver Member

Cowboys from Hell - Pantera

Reinventing the Steel - Pantera

The Violent Sleep of Reason - Meshuggah

Wrath - Lamb of God

The Power Station - self titled
Old 11-28-2018, 07:11 PM

Kiss - All albums
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Slayer - Reign in Blood
Green Day - Dookie, Insomniac
Marilyn Manson - Portrait of an American Family, Mechanical Animals
Type O Negative - October Rust, World Coming Down
Foo Fighters - The colour and the shape
Meshuggah - Contadictions Collapse, Obzen
Dimmu Borgir - Death Cult Armageddon, Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia
Old 11-28-2018, 08:30 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephDAqui View Post
..The Power Station - self titled..

Often forgotten, but thats indeed a very nice album..

And Tony Thompson plays pretty nice on that one too..