DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 01-31-2018, 05:53 PM

Default Forgetting names of bands/albums/songs

Anyone else have this problem? I listen to a good deal of music and my tastes are very broad, but I have such a hard time remembering names of bands and albums and songs. This is particularly frustrating when I want to suggest some music to a friend, but all I can say is, "Oh! You'd like this album I heard yesterday! Hmm.. let's see, I think there was a bird or something on the album cover and I think one of the songs sounds like this *hums a few notes*" Same frustrations apply when people ask me what music I listen to.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Forgetting names of bands/albums/songs

Keep notes on your smart phone. It only gets worse when you older.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

I have always had a hard time remembering the damned names of my own band's original songs. It's pretty embarrassing how many times a tune will get called and I have to say "hey, can you give me the first few notes/chords?" to the guitar player.

But as soon as I hear those first few notes, (assuming it's an established song) I know the song front to back. Weird how I can't remember names but I can remember the song forms and specifics. Kinda like how I can't remember people's names but as soon as I see them or I'm reminded of them, I remember all sorts of things about them and my interactions with them.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:10 PM
Platinum Member

I've never paid much attention to lyrics of songs-who could understand much of it from 60-80's. Don't know the name of songs much either-usually I just make up my own lyrics LOL. But I use to memorize most songs musically pretty quickly. I was in a big band and orchestra and memorized everything-I suck at reading. The conductor would tell the band any start point and without any music to sight-I'd come in right spot. Even when learning new songs I had an innate feel for changes and shifts so would pick up a new song quickly-he was amazed considering I'm a talentless hack. Sadly age caught up with me and I finally had to make myself cheat notes to keep it all straight. Heck now I spend my time looking for my cell phone and checking to make sure I'm not walking around with my fly open. LOL.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:01 AM
Platinum Member

Back in the record store days I remember having a special disease where I would forget what I walked into the store to buy.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyY View Post
Back in the record store days I remember having a special disease where I would forget what I walked into the store to buy.
For me, this disease has mutated and adapted to my new music consumption world.

I'll be thinking for hours about how I want to listen to some band I haven't heard in ages until I get to my car or have time to listen over the earbuds, at which point I almost always forget what it was I wanted to listen to in the sea of music streaming options.

Oh well... There are certainly worse problems to have.