DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 01-30-2018, 11:21 AM
Pioneer Member

Default China nailing it!

Ok - I'm going off piste here a bit, but bear with me.

I see a gradual dumbing down of production quality / delivery on TV shows - especially talent shows / singing competitions. Especially in the UK - shows such as X factor typically use pre recorded backing tracks with the only live element being the main vocal. Production on the vocal tends to be smothered with multiple layers of processing, to the point where all diction / clarity is lost. Theres also that obvious disconnect between the live vocal & the recorded backing. Overall, just horrible.

I've been following Jessie J's progress in a Chinese singing competition - a competition for established singers. IMHO, the best live TV show music production I've heard in decades. Full band C/W strings, brass, BV's, etc. Not only are the players top draw, but the quality of arrangement is stunning. Additionally, whoever's on sound production needs an award = absolutely Faultless.

Here's last weeks performance from Jessie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC-o...=RDlC-oCA_v9Iw

Please check it out through good headphones, etc.

Western shows, & especially UK shows, have much to learn from this. The overall delivery is a music lover's dream - vocals sitting seamlessly with the band.

Disclosure: I think Jessie is one of the most stunning vocalists to come out of the UK in decades too. From pop frivolity to super performances like this. She's growing every year.

If you're further interested, two more performances from Jessie with this stunning band:

Brave take on a classic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YFO...=RDlC-oCA_v9Iw
Props to the drums on this one :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD8J...=RDlC-oCA_v9Iw Use of a china cymbal in a TV show band - you don't see that every day :)

Last edited by Andy; 01-30-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:10 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: China nailing it!

Yeah, I tend to agree. Talent shows here still tend to feature live bands, but other than that it's mostly all flash, cynical manipulation with backstories and editing and just general overproduction.

However, there's one show here that's similar to the one Jessie J seems to be part of though, called "Stjernekamp" (loosely translates to "Battle of the stars" I guess). Established artists compete in different styles each week (anything from metal to opera), with excellent production value and amazing backing bands every time. The show is consistently great, and it's provided some absolutely stellar performances.

Last year's winner Adam Douglas absolutely nailed everything he attempted. Here's his version of I Can't Do This from the C&W show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qHIgyEM0Fo

Lisa BÝrud's absolute firecracker performance of 99 problems:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-qtA61zrYo

The opera show is pretty hit and miss depending on the artist's ability to master the technique, but every year we get one or two artists who just absolutely nail with a goosebump-inducing performance. Here's Didrik Solli-Tangen (of Eurovision "fame") singing Tosca:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXmxVBrycQQ
Old 01-30-2018, 03:46 PM
Platinum Member

Why spend money on musicians and writers for a show when it is of no direct benefit to the mega corporations which own the media outlet? ;-)

Andy,

Take a look at Scott Bradlee's efforts to provide a showcase for aspiring vocalists.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ScottBradleeLovesYa/videos

A lot of good stuff in there.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naigewron View Post
...Here's Didrik Solli-Tangen (of Eurovision "fame") ...
As a citizen of a non-European country which has embraced Eurovision wholeheartedly, I would like to salute your use of the terms 'fame' and 'Eurovision' in the same sentence.

That is all.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:58 AM
Platinum Member

I can't believe you guys actually watch these shows.

SOLD: PDP Concept Maple 12/16/24
Old 02-01-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
As a citizen of a non-European country which has embraced Eurovision wholeheartedly, I would like to salute your use of the terms 'fame' and 'Eurovision' in the same sentence.

That is all.
ABBA started by winning the Eurovision contest for Sweden.

Also, France Gall (recently deceased, RIP) won it (for Luxembourg but I believe that she was actually French) and became a big star.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
I can't believe you guys actually watch these shows.
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha....HA!!!
Old 02-01-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

I see a gradual dumbing down of production quality / delivery on TV shows - especially talent shows / singing competitions. Especially in the UK - shows such as X factor...

I've been following Jessie J's progress in a Chinese singing competition - a competition for established singers. IMHO, the best live TV show music production I've heard in decades. Full band C/W strings, brass, BV's, etc. Not only are the players top draw, but the quality of arrangement is stunning. Additionally, whoever's on sound production needs an award = absolutely Faultless.

Western shows, & especially UK shows, have much to learn from this. The overall delivery is a music lover's dream - vocals sitting seamlessly with the band.
Good analysis Andy. Yes, I heard depth, warmth, dynamics, and brilliant clarity. An important combination which in western pop music has become near extinct.

Unfortunately it's not only production of contemporary music that falls prey to abysmal standards. Just took posession of a nice 3 CD compilation of the Beach Boys. Only to find that the sound is not akin to my memories. And it's not because it's digital. I've had their CDs before but this set is different. I bit of research on an audiophile forum quickly reveals that in the last 15 to 20 years "old" music recordings are being reissued with slightly new mixes and mastering that makes them less pleasing to listen to for those who know and appreciate the originals. Wanted to complete my Doors collection with the one album that I was missing only to find that the currently available batch of CDs is made with remixes. Tracked down an older CD copy of the album I wanted in new condition. Shipping from Italy cost me more than the actual CD! But at least I know that I'm getting "the sound" I expect.

Sorry for going a bit off topic but it is the off topic section after all. And I think that it's all related. Just so sad that it's now also affecting the classics that were so well produced despite the limitations of recording technology in the early days of Rock 'n' Roll.