DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:00 PM

Default The DW Double Tom Holder Jinx

It just seems not meant to be, so far. Have been playing a DW performance kit for the past year. As we know they are virgin kick drums. For my entire life I have played the toms mounted on the bass drum. Tried to get used to mounting them on tom stands either offset to the left or centered over the bass drum with two cymbal stands.

I got tired of this and ordered through Amazon the bass drum double tom amount. Low and behold, they shipped me a DW double pedal instead. I returned it. I continued to mount my toms off of cymbal stands and continued hating it.

About a year later I tried ordering, again from Amazon, the DW double bass drum tom mount. This time I got the correct item, but one of the L arms could barely be moved no matter how loose the wingnut was. The ball scraped against the metal housing leaving a pile of plastic shavings and a wrecked ball. Never in all of my years of playing different kits have I ever encountered a piece of tom mounting hardware defective like this. Further, there was no instructions or template included in the box. I know the Instructions must exist because somebody posted them online here at one point. I returned the defective mount to Amazon.

I tried a third time, ordering from a another reputable retailer. Not shockingly, this time the mount had the exact same problem the one from Amazon did.

Below is a link to the photo of the mount and the pile of plastic crap residue from trying to move the l arm the wing nut at its loosest position. This cannot possibly be the way this mount is supposed to be. I've had better tom mounts ffrom CB700 35 years ago. I'm going to place a call to DW to see if they have anything to say out of curiosity.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AoN3-43GwMe7ikCXiw1DQlxu835q

Old 01-28-2018, 08:11 PM

Default Re: The DW Double Tom Holder Jinx

This wont help your cause, but...a while ago I ordered a Performance kit from Boston Drum, and I asked them to install a DW double tom mount for me, which they did -- no issues.

EDIT: Ok, I got a look at your pic -- have you removed the L-arm from the holder for a look, or are you unable to? Personally, I would unscrew and remove the L-arms and compare both resin balls and mounting holes against each other -- maybe even switch them around.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signals View Post
This wont help your cause, but...a while ago I ordered a Performance kit from Boston Drum, and I asked them to install a DW double tom mount for me, which they did -- no issues.
Glad it worked out for you. Thanks for the post. I did have one thought which was to order a performance kit from a company on the East Coast who also can install the tom Mount and order the exact sizes of the drums that I want. And then sell my performance kit bundled with the Gibraltar cymbal stands and Tom clamps. However, the resell value of performance drums from what I have seen does not seem to be that good. Correct me anybody if I am wrong on this.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:

EDIT: Ok, I got a look at your pic -- have you removed the L-arm from the holder for a look ,or are you unable to?
I tried and I cannot. With the Gibraltar Tom mounts I have been able to successfully remove the L arms. Also with my PDP tom mounts I have been able to remove the l arms. I was unable to do it with this DW mount.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:23 PM

Ugh! Well, something is wrong, obviously. It's a great mount so I hope that you can get this sorted out. If not, well, I don't blame you! (I Googled "DW Bass Mount Problem" just for the heck of it, but I didn't see any other issues).
Old 01-28-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:

EDIT: Ok, I got a look at your pic -- have you removed the L-arm from the holder for a look, or are you unable to? Personally, I would unscrew and remove the L-arms and compare both resin balls and mounting holes against each other -- maybe even switch them around.
Just want to add that the defective side L arm will not come out. Unable to open the clamp. The nondefective l arm can come out however.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:11 AM

OK I tried it again. Had to use a screwdriver to pry open the clamshell where the ball for the l rod goes. Once I did that and then reassembled it, it seems to work as expected. I have an l rod ball that is scratched up now but it's a cheap replacement part. It may less hassle to just use it then return it and then have to order it all over again. The thing is this has never happened with other Tom mounts and clamps I've bought. Thanks for the suggestions really appreciate them.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:08 AM

Ok, cool! Did you get a chance to compare the "good" side with the "bad" side to identify the problem?
Old 01-30-2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Ok, cool! Did you get a chance to compare the "good" side with the "bad" side to identify the problem?
I couldn't tell...all I know is after I pried open the clamshell, and then put it back all was OK. Thanks again for giving me the idea. And on Friday, someone is going to install it for me and then my days of clamping toms to cymbal stands are OVER! :)