DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 01-22-2018, 06:28 AM

Default Teaching question

For the fellow teachers, I'm wondering if you have any particularly good ways of explaining tempo and pocket to young students (9 years old)? I've got a student who is capable of keeping time but when playing along with songs or if I accompany him on guitar like I frequently do in my lessons- he tends to speed up drastically. If I ask him to pull back he goes completely the opposite direction. To me it almost seems like he's guessing the tempo and not counting but simply asking him to count doesn't seem to help the issue. I'm wondering if this idea of tempo and pocket is just a concept that he doesn't understand and if there's a way to help him understand it?
Old 01-22-2018, 10:15 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Teaching question

I wouldn't bother with the concept of 'pocket' at this stage.

Definitely tempo though. If a metronome is too hard, get him to play along with some songs. eg. Beat It or Love Shack, with a clear beat. Also get him to count to four listening to the song, but without playing - to see if he gets it.

Then turn the volume down for a bit while he keeps playing or counting, then bring the volume back up and see if he's still in time.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummindan8484 View Post
To me it almost seems like he's guessing the tempo and not counting but simply asking him to count doesn't seem to help the issue. I'm wondering if this idea of tempo and pocket is just a concept that he doesn't understand and if there's a way to help him understand it?
Have you taught him how to count and read?
Old 01-22-2018, 04:00 PM
Platinum Member

Teach with a metronome, make sure he uses one at home... Play very simple stuff. It's something I work on even after playing 20 years...

a 9 year old most likely doesn't listen to very much music. that could be why the internal pulse isn't there yet.