DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 01-19-2018, 04:06 AM

Default Finally found out what's wrong with my bass foot... but I don't know how to fix it.

I've been working on improving my bass foot for the past 2-3 months by using using this one simple exercise I kind of made up (picture below).

Yesterday, I decided to go at it a bit longer. I started at 72 BPM. After 20 minutes, I felt my foot coming "loose" , should I say, and I lowered the tempo to 70 BPM to avoid tensioning up my foot muscles; I'm training myself to play clear strokes and not "stutter" the notes.

Felt myself going looser losing even more control, so I lowered it again to 67 BPM after 5 minutes. This went on until I reached 55 BPM. And I went "what the hell?" and just stopped. Then I tried a double bass stroke exercise I had, but I stuttered the kick on that one as well.

Then it dawned on me : I lose control when I get tired, so I started missing notes (not pushing the pedal enough for the beater to hit) and stuttering, but I don't know any way to fix this. Would love to know of any solutions from y'all, thanks in advance.

(Just in case anyone wants to know, I use a Pearl P-930 pedal which is quite old and the chain has rusted a bit and a Yamaha DTX540K with a KP65 bass pad (which in my opinion sucks, it feels like a hockey puck and I could feel that it doesn't transfer vibrations well).
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2018, 04:50 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Finally found out what's wrong with my bass foot... but I don't know how to fix it.

Buy Jojo Mayer's Secret Weapons for the Modern Drummer Part 2.

After you learn from Jojo, go to YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afFHm6wJf7g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjRqBIxxdrg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh8jq3T3w6w

It's all about practicing and pushing yourself to develop your leg muscles.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:22 AM
Farahin65
This message has been deleted by Farahin65.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:29 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Finally found out what's wrong with my bass foot... but I don't know how to fix it.

I'd go through all the 2 beat rhythm possibilities ie. accent sheet, Greb' s language or Chaffee fat back exercises. There's coordination and a need for constant focus then. Keeps you on our toes and forces you to do what you have to do.

Warm-up: One minute each of constant 16th notes, first heel down, then heel up.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPockets View Post

I've watched all of those YT vids...! I'll try giving Jojo Mayer's Secret Weapons a try.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd-Arne Oseberg View Post
I'd go through all the 2 beat rhythm possibilities ie. accent sheet, Greb' s language or Chaffee fat back exercises. There's coordination and a need for constant focus then. Keeps you on our toes and forces you to do what you have to do.

Warm-up: One minute each of constant 16th notes, first heel down, then heel up.
What do you mean by "accent sheet"?

And your warm up idea is pretty good too. What BPM should I start from?
Old 01-26-2018, 09:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPockets View Post

It's also about eventually using less muscle and letting the pedal do more work.
This is quite ironic, and seems to be contradictory, but developed muscles (strength and endurance) does seem to be a necessary step toward better technique which requires less strength and endurance.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farahin65 View Post
What do you mean by "accent sheet"?
It's just going through all possibilities. I Chaffee' book he alls them "fat back" exercises and goes through every 16th note combination over two bets, two bars each. Takes about 20 mins to go through one time at a medium tempo.

Quote:
And your warm up idea is pretty good too. What BPM should I start from?
I generally start at 50 bpm. It's just 4 mins, but makes a HUGE difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud7h4 View Post
This is quite ironic, and seems to be contradictory, but developed muscles (strength and endurance) does seem to be a necessary step toward better technique which requires less strength and endurance.
Certainly. There's a lot of experimentation and experience needed to find "your" way and also lots of little muscles that aren't used to doing this percentage of the work. Those hours upon hours and thousands of hits do at up, though. Conditioning. That's the key.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I've been working on improving my bass foot for the past 2-3 months by using using this one simple exercise I kind of made up (picture below).

Yesterday, I decided to go at it a bit longer. I started at 72 BPM. After 20 minutes, I felt my foot coming "loose" , should I say, and I lowered the tempo to 70 BPM to avoid tensioning up my foot muscles; I'm training myself to play clear strokes and not "stutter" the notes.

Felt myself going looser losing even more control, so I lowered it again to 67 BPM after 5 minutes. This went on until I reached 55 BPM. And I went "what the hell?" and just stopped. Then I tried a double bass stroke exercise I had, but I stuttered the kick on that one as well.

Then it dawned on me : I lose control when I get tired, so I started missing notes (not pushing the pedal enough for the beater to hit) and stuttering, but I don't know any way to fix this. Would love to know of any solutions from y'all, thanks in advance.

(Just in case anyone wants to know, I use a Pearl P-930 pedal which is quite old and the chain has rusted a bit and a Yamaha DTX540K with a KP65 bass pad (which in my opinion sucks, it feels like a hockey puck and I could feel that it doesn't transfer vibrations well).
Well how long have you been playing? how long have you been working on this? I see 4 posts so that could mean your new to drums, or new to the forum?

I lose control when I get tired, but I get tired when I am not relaxed.. If you play to fast and get tense you will burn out fast. When I practice double bass and blast beats I do it at a speed I am relaxed at for long periods of time... Too many want to show off at their max and gas out.

Start slow, get the motions and muscle memory down, SLOW.. for a long time gradually increasing it.. Make sure you are balanced correctly, seat height is at a level your not straining and pushing too hard etc. It will come in time, but bass drum speed takes years to get super fast. (to play loud and tight) It's half building the muscle, and have your leg remembering the motion.

At the end of practice I push myself a bit, but that is after I work on playing clean for a long period first
Old 02-10-2018, 07:02 PM
Gold Member

Take on road cycling. That'll help immensely in the stronger legs department!!
Old 02-11-2018, 07:29 AM

Breathe in one the 1 of every bar, and exhale for the rest of the bar. Think of it like running. As soon as you stop breathing, you fall over.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:49 PM

If you are tiring then I would suggest practicing that particular motion for longer periods of time.