DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:36 PM

Default Round vs. Saddle throne?

I've got an old worn out piece of junk throne at the moment. It's round. I really need to work on maintaining good posture while I play and started wondering if a decent seat would be helpful. Any opinions on whether it matters much to have a stable seat, and pros/cons of round vs. saddle? I think I've only ever used round. I'm not really planning on a back rest, but I'd be interested if people have found that helpful to work on posture.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:51 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Round vs. Saddle throne?

It is a personal thing, it makes a big difference, though.

I use a Rock-n-Sock saddle. Reson for the saddle to me is that it doesn't hinder the movement of my legs. Especially if you like to sit pretty high it's not the most cofy thing and with some people round seats even cut off circulatin a lot, making your legs fall asleep.

Those who prefer round seats will often sit more on the edge.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:51 PM
Platinum Member

I think just so long as the throne is stable, and you can lock the seat from spinning, that’s what matters. I have both round and saddle seats and it doesn’t matter much. Locking it from spinning while you’re playing is more important. If you play with a loose seat, you limbs are pushing your hips, and you back is using muscle to try to keep still so you legs can play the pedals, and this leads to lower back problems down the road.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:54 PM

Round for me.
And as small as possible.

I find tractors/saddles get in the way.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:54 PM

Just opinion, but I feel like saddle thrones are restrictive. It's like they're telling my legs where they're supposed to (and not supposed to) go. Also I sit pretty forward on my seat, for the sake of posture, and this can be awkward on a saddle type seat.

I recently bought 2 pork pie round thrones and my butt has been very happy about that decision especially on longer gigs/rehearsals.

A friend of mine told me the DW thrones are also super comfortable as well, and maybe a bit more structured than the pork pie but I haven't had a chance to try it.

It might be easier to work on posture on a harder surface but you definitely want quality and stability (i.e. no floppiness at any point where two different sections meet), but as long as you are aware you can still have good posture on a softer seat.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:02 PM
Silver Member

Purely subjective, but like Octatonic and Concerttom, I have found the bicycle\motorcycle "saddle" style seats to be too restrictive and uncomfortable. They seem to hold me in a fixed position that I can't adjust out of when I want to relieve the saddle sore effect from sitting too long. Also, rather than help with leg movement, I felt the thigh cut-outs actually were more restrictve than sittng on the edge of a round seat.

As far as posture goes, I think I would benefit from a few crunches more than a new saddle. Not matter what you sit on if your core is soft (like mine) you are going to slouch....
Old 01-16-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I think just so long as the throne is stable, and you can lock the seat from spinning, that’s what matters. I have both round and saddle seats and it doesn’t matter much. Locking it from spinning while you’re playing is more important. If you play with a loose seat, you limbs are pushing your hips, and you back is using muscle to try to keep still so you legs can play the pedals, and this leads to lower back problems down the road.
Interesting point. I never even considered it. My current one most definitely spins freely. Do most quality seats lock from spinning?

I was considering this one, since I'm a DW fan (not stuck on it by any means though):

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DWCP5100
Old 01-16-2018, 08:06 PM
Platinum Member

Saddle for me. I have a Roc-n-Soc throne with a back rest. Best buying decision I have ever made.

Remember, not all thrones are considered equal.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:44 PM
Platinum Member

Stability, balance and long-term comfort are my requirements in a throne. The two I play on most often happen to be saddle-style (a Roc-N-Soc and a Gibraltar 9600 series), and I like them well, but I think I'd be perfectly happy with a round throne that met those criteria as well.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:22 PM

I have a Tama 1st Chair saddle type with the backrest and it's by far the best thing going for me.
Hours can go by at a gig and I hardly notice it.
I use a round POS one at the smaller, intimate gigs and I notice a big difference.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderRoss View Post
I have a Tama 1st Chair saddle type with the backrest and it's by far the best thing going for me.
Hours can go by at a gig and I hardly notice it.
I use a round POS one at the smaller, intimate gigs and I notice a big difference.
Me too. I like the saddles. I have 2 Tama 1st Chairs and a Gibraltar Hydraulic. All saddle type. My butt is too big to be comfy in a round throne all night.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:57 PM

Looks like about 50/50 round vs. saddle. Any consensus on free rotating vs. fixed? The Roc-N-Soc makes a point that it is free rotating.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:58 PM

I used a round throne for a long time and switched to a saddle-style after sitting on it at a music shop and it felt comfortable. I had (still have) a Sound Percussion (Guitar Center's label) saddle throne and it was great.

I decided to go for a Roc-N-Soc saddle, Spindle throne and I love it. The only downside is that you can't lock it from spinning and it took a long time to adjust. It still feels a bit unstable. You can crank that wing screw tight, but it still comes loose after a few minutes.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Interesting point. I never even considered it. My current one most definitely spins freely. Do most quality seats lock from spinning?

I was considering this one, since I'm a DW fan (not stuck on it by any means though):

I have had this seat since 2012 and it has been a good one. I like the round ones better but then I am old and set in my ways. :)
Old 01-16-2018, 11:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiff View Post

Definitely try locking your seat from spinning. You’ll find your lower back much happier over the years. I knew a guy who had a spinning seat and eventually threw his lower back out because of the minute twisting going in while he was playing. Of course, a spinning stool is not a problem when you’re not physically exerting yourself, but for drummers I think it’s important. Because the seat moves, your low back is working harder than it has to for you to transfer power from your hips to your feet. This puts unnecessary strain on the low back muscles.

There’s a reason those cannister thrones were (are) so popular - they can’t rotate!
Old 01-16-2018, 11:24 PM
Silver Member

Round for me. I have a broken down saddle type throne at the moment that I really need to replace. I find my self sitting on the edge of the saddle, and then what's the point?

Backrests are fine for stretching out between songs. I can't imagine anyone actually putting weight on them while playing!
Old 01-16-2018, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

I'll throw my vote in for the round seats for the same reason as the others stated.

I don't like the annoyance of needing to make sure the saddle is facing forward.

I have a Tama First Chair and I might even buy a new round seat for it instead of using the saddle.

Also, those big seats are hard to pack.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:39 PM
Silver Member

Listen to your cheeks, they will tell you what they find post comfortable.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Any consensus on free rotating vs. fixed? The Roc-N-Soc makes a point that it is free rotating.
When I first got my Roc-n-Soc, I definitely was not used to a rotating seat. But as time went by (a short time), I got used to the throne and it doesn't even move when I play now. No back problems here, and I've got lower back issues, too.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:36 AM
Silver Member

Thoughts on the rotating vs non-rotating seat...

I have for years left my seat "free wheeling". It seemed better to me to have some movement in my hips as I pivoted around the kit rather than using my lower back as the pivot point. While I have disc issues unrelated to drumming, I have never felt or experienced lower back pain either during or after playing.

As I have gotten older (55) and my kit has shrunk I pivot very little and notice no movement of my throne at all unless I am turning around to change CDs or ipod settings...
Old 01-17-2018, 03:57 AM

New guy here!!!

I just picked up a kit(1989 Yamaha PTC 1182) last week. It came with a saddle. Having played over the years, I'm leaning towards a round seat. The saddle, as mentioned above, seems to hinder how my legs can move. So far I find myself sitting out on the tip of it. Sometime in the near future, I will grab a round throne and compare them. If I prefer the saddle, I will just return the round one.

Also, it's great to be here!!!
Old 01-17-2018, 10:27 AM
Gold Member

I'm a round seat guy.

I have a Pearl travel stool thingy that I used for years. Seat wasn't the comfiest but got the job done. Good job I've never suffered from the 'grapes of doom' (aka haemorroids)

Upgraded to a Ludwig atlas B/O seat to match the B/O kit...aren't I cool! It's well comfy, only downside is it has a cancer warning underneath.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:42 PM

The first truly impulse buy for drums I ever made was a Tama 1st Chair, saddle type: I was in a music shop while a mate was buying... something. I sat down on this nearby stool (cos it was there) and immediately bought it.

Only problem is that the base is 4-legged and double-braced (so it is HEAVY) and the seat doesn't really fit in my trap case. I therefore bought a round Tama 1st Chair for gigs (it only has 3 legs but is still pretty weighty) and keep the saddle for practice.

Go to a music shop and try some out - trust your butt!!! But check the size and weight too.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Looks like about 50/50 round vs. saddle. Any consensus on free rotating vs. fixed? The Roc-N-Soc makes a point that it is free rotating.
Locking seats are good if you don't have to turn to get to floor toms/cymbals & the like.

Also, if you go with a hydraulic adjustable post, be aware that will be the first thing to fail and will happen at a very inopportune time (I speak from experience).
Sure, the small bit of bounce you get is cool & comfy, but once it goes, it's all gone suddenly.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:19 PM
Platinum Member

Round. Rock n Soc. Spindle.

It's comfy, durable, portable, and the height adjusts easily without the annoying "bounce" of the pneumatic chairs.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 01-17-2018, 06:40 PM
Platinum Member

I have 3 Roc-N-Soc saddle thrones. One at my acoustic kit. One at my electric. And one at my most used computer station. Then I have 2 "other"
saddle thrones at another computer station, and at my hobby desk. And an old Tama saddle throne that lives outside.
Getting the right throne for you .... like getting the right pair of shoes. May take some trial and error. Also, getting the right seat height may take some experimentation.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:15 PM

I have 2 non rotating thrones because the little bit of spin eventually loosens the seats and then the seats wobble, causing balance problems for me. Round seats work better for me too. I hate “aiming” the saddles.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:43 PM
Platinum Member

I have three Pork Pie Thrones, each with a Roc N Soc backrest, one round and two "big boy"-tractor style. I like the tractor style over the round.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:49 PM
Gold Member

I don't get the value of locking the seat. I seem to take advantage of a little bit of rotation. I also use a round roc n soc spindle. Been using it for 3 years with no issues. I also had back surgery 15 years ago and no back issues. I would like a second roc n soc for rehearsal but don't want a saddle and they seem to be the one that is most available. Saddle seems like to would be restrictive but I have not used one for a full practice session or a gig.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderRoss View Post
Locking seats are good if you don't have to turn to get to floor toms/cymbals & the like.

Also, if you go with a hydraulic adjustable post, be aware that will be the first thing to fail and will happen at a very inopportune time (I speak from experience).
Sure, the small bit of bounce you get is cool & comfy, but once it goes, it's all gone suddenly.
I've had my hydraulic Roc N Soc for 12 years now with no issues. But I set it pretty low, almost to the bottom, so there's little accumulated pressure.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:58 PM

I'm gonna through some medical science into the discussion. One of the factors that possibly influences personal preference is how we sit/hip shape. The topic of hip shape came up w/ some people I work out with a while ago and why we some of us had such different stances. This article explains it quite well.

Article: https://www.theptdc.com/2015/02/why-...-squat-stance/

I think it would be interesting to take a group of drummers, separate them by the type of throne they prefer, have them perform a set of squats, separate them by squat style/foot positioning and see if there is correlation/overlap between the two. Even more interesting would be to have x-rays of the hips to further see how hip shape affected (or didn't) throne choice.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:11 PM

Learned on a beat up Roc & Soc saddle throne.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:10 PM
Silver Member

I like a round seat for some of the reasons listed already, but also for transport purposes. I got my floor tom bag with a few inches of extra depth and the round seat top fits in there nicely.

As far as improving posture, I would imagine that the more ergonomic saddle seats would be better, but I have been trying to improve my own posture in recent years, and really the most important thing is disciplining yourself to sit correctly. Slouching is a hard habit to break, but it can be done, especially if you focus on improving your posture in everyday life, whether sitting, standing, or walking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer-russ View Post
I don't get the value of locking the seat.
Maybe it's more of a preference than a "value." I prefer to have all my gear nice and stable, so a moving seat is a distraction for me.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:27 PM

I almost pulled the trigger on a saddle style throne recently, but changed my mind when factoring in packing and transporting. The smaller round one that I use currently fits into my rolling gear case nicely. Were I to get a saddle style, I would have to come up with a third gear box (I already use the big rolling gear case and a tub for the smaller stuff, both packed to the max) just to accommodate the seat.

Some day, perhaps, I might do it. I already carry more than I should, I don't need to add more to the list...
Old 01-23-2018, 09:14 PM
Silver Member

I go either way, just as long as there is no bounce in the seat....as mentioned above.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

My round big ol memory foam pork pie throne was one of the best investments I've ever made.

You'll have to decide about round vs tractor on your own. We can't tell you what your body needs there.

The comments about locking the throne are spot on though. Don't want that moving around.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:27 PM

I don't notice any bounce in the Roc N Soc pneumatic saddle type throne. It is heavy and bulky for transport though.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
My round big ol memory foam pork pie throne was one of the best investments I've ever made.

You'll have to decide about round vs tractor on your own. We can't tell you what your body needs there.

The comments about locking the throne are spot on though. Don't want that moving around.
Interesting. I actually loosen the set screw so the seat WILL rotate. I want it to move with me, without resistance. I don't know which is best, but I like it to move.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
Interesting. I actually loosen the set screw so the seat WILL rotate. I want it to move with me, without resistance. I don't know which is best, but I like it to move.
I used to do that too. Over time/trial and error I noticed that my lower back was much happier when I locked it.

Originally I always had it in my head that by leaving it loose I had more "freedom" to move about and do things like hit the floor tom with both hands. Probably is true, but as stated, I noticed that the next day lower back issues are mitigated greatly by locking it and simply re-adjusting my position on the seat between songs or whatever. Not something I consciously do, and I can't say for sure if everyone is better served with it locked, but I sure am.

Now I look at it like Matt does, and feel that locking it is healthier for my purpose rather than leaving it loose and forcing my core muscles to keep me from turning on the throne when I don't mean to.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:43 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
I used to do that too. Over time/trial and error I noticed that my lower back was much happier when I locked it.

Originally I always had it in my head that by leaving it loose I had more "freedom" to move about and do things like hit the floor tom with both hands. Probably is true, but as stated, I noticed that the next day lower back issues are mitigated greatly by locking it and simply re-adjusting my position on the seat between songs or whatever. Not something I consciously do, and I can't say for sure if everyone is better served with it locked, but I sure am.

Now I look at it like Matt does, and feel that locking it is healthier for my purpose rather than leaving it loose and forcing my core muscles to keep me from turning on the throne when I don't mean to.
Respectfully, not my experience.

You guys seem to be saying that your hips are rotating out of control all over the place or something-like you have to fight the seat to keep from rotating you out of position.... I have never had that type of feeling on an "unlocked" throne... No matter how hard I played, never felt like I had to lock my core up to keep from spinning around. Especially nowadays when I (and it seems like a good number of others) are playing a 4 piece kit, movement is at a minimum if at all.

My feet are planted and my hips\core\trunk gently rotate as needed-sometimes with the throne moving and sometimes not at all. No back pain ever when playing or after.

When I lock the throne I feel the exact opposite-and this is when my back starts to let me know it isn't happy. That pivoting in my spine with my hips locked to the throne is what bothers me. When I loosen it up that restrictive feeling goes away.

BUT...as we all know-this is all "YMMV" and a very personal thing. I recommend trying anything at least once to see what you prefer.