DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:21 AM

Default How do YOU break down a Hi Hat stand?

I feel like I keep seeing people say that breaking down and transporting a Hi Hat stand is this huge pain in the ass. People talk about not knowing what to do with the various parts, losing stuff, even crazy stuff like leaving it out of their hardware case! I've even had drummer friends of mine help me pack up at a show and do the weirdest crap with the HH.

This may seem totally obvious to some so my apologies if this seems unnecessary or dumb, but I've seen it come up enough times and I haven't seen it answered anywhere so I figured I'd bring it up.

It occurred to me that I don't remember anybody actually ever showing me how to do this but AT SOME POINT I figured out a way to break it down simply, quickly, and without the risk of losing anything. Since I've been doing it this way for over 30 years, I've assumed that this is the correct and ubiquitous way to do it. So, my post here is 2 fold... A) to possibly help those who are having trouble and perpetual annoyance at the necessity of taking a Hi Hat stand places,and B) to see if there's some even more efficient way of transporting it that I haven't thought of.

Steps and Pics correspond with each other...

1) remove cymbals from clutch.

2) turn clutch upside down and tighten it as high on the rod as it will go (reason for this explained in #4) and still tighten securely.

3) unscrew upper part of rod (the clutch comes in handy here as a lever for loosening the rod) then remove upper tube letting the clutch and rod fall into it, thus securing the felt and washer.

4) on every hi hat stand I've ever used or owned, if the clutch is upside down and just barely holding onto the rod, the threaded bottom of the rod sticks through the bottom of the tubing about an inch or so, making it super simple to line up when you're setting the stand up again.

5) unclip the pedal support braces and fold the pedal up and fold the legs away. This barely takes more space than a regular boom cymbal stand in my case.

I've been doing it this way for decades and can't remember ever losing any part of my hi hat stand, though I still always keep a backup clutch in my cymbal bag.

Now, how do YOU all do it? I'm genuinely curious if theres some other consensus way of putting it away that makes more sense.

Last edited by ConcertTom; 01-16-2018 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:24 AM

Default Re: How do YOU break down a Hi Hat stand?

Pictures didnt upload first time. Trying again.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2018, 03:40 AM
Platinum Member

I don't know about weird, but since my other stands are just as long I don't break it down. I just raise the tube all the way to cover the rod and put the clutch in my stickbag.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:02 AM
Platinum Member

I don't.

I remove the cymbals, put the clutch back, and done.

I see no point in breaking it down further.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:15 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd-Arne Oseberg View Post
I just raise the tube all the way to cover the rod and put the clutch in my stickbag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
I do a little of both: tube goes up a bit, and the clutch goes back on the rod (that way, I never have to look for it.)

Bermuda
Old 01-16-2018, 04:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I don't.

Exactly the same thing here.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:44 AM
Platinum Member

I transport mine with just the legs folded. I don't keep the clutch on my pull rod, though.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:55 AM

I put the clutch at the top of the rod, which is shortened, raise the tube and put it in the rack bag. My hi hat stand doesn't have legs, so no need to fold those.

DW, Sabian, Axis, Gibraltar
Old 01-16-2018, 04:58 AM
Platinum Member

After reading a horror story on here about somebody coming close to impaling themself eye-first on a cymbal-less hi hat stand, I do the same.

And I don't disassemble the hat stand either.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:15 AM
Silver Member

I just fold the legs and hold them in place with a heavy duty rubber band.
The main felt is super-glued to the base so it doesn't fall off.

This size transport fits right into my accessory bag full length.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:24 AM
Platinum Member

You guys remove the clutch from the top cymbal? Why?
I never do that. The cymbal with the clutch fits just fine in my cymbal bag.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:29 AM

I never considered the impaling hazard, but I always just fold the legs after removing the cymbals. It saves a lot of time keeping all the stands at their correct height.

Jim, the clutch wouldn't work in my hard cymbal case, and it keeps the felt and washer for the bottom hh cymbal from falling off the stand.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcertTom View Post
Pictures didnt upload first time. Trying again.
I do it like that too. It's the only way to keep the pull rod from getting bent while being transported in the trap case with everything else.

I do take the clutch off the cymbal because again, while transporting, I don't want this one bit to be stressing out the cymbal hole in the event something lays against it from the outside of the leather cymbal bag.

Sometimes dismantling is a good thing.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:16 AM
Silver Member

Very similar from me too.
The main difference is that I keep the clutch the same way up and clamp the pull rod at the top meaning that none of it protrudes from the bottom of the pipe. I do this because after years of using used hi hat stands I was fed up of the cymbals not seating properly because of slight bends that the pull rod had picked up in transit over the years, this way itís fully shielded.
Iíve always tried to have my hardware fit in the smallest bags possible for convenience of transport as I donít have a van or estate car which is why I disassemble the hi hat.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I do it like that too. It's the only way to keep the pull rod from getting bent while being transported in the trap case with everything else.

I do take the clutch off the cymbal because again, while transporting, I don't want this one bit to be stressing out the cymbal hole in the event something lays against it from the outside of the leather cymbal bag.

Sometimes dismantling is a good thing.
This exactly the reason why I do the same. Plus, my hardware case is so small that none of my stands would fit in without fully collapsing them.

If I'm not wrong, my Yamaha stand has a nice feature: it's designed so that the pull-rod cannot be pulled out of the upper tube from the top, only from the bottom.
So, when the stand is dismantled there's no risk of losing any parts because the clutch holds in place the washer and felt from the top and prevents the pull-rod from sliding out of the bottom of the upper-tube. At the same time the pull-rod cannot be pulled out of the top either. It's all stuck in place.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:22 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldie View Post
I just fold the legs and hold them in place with a heavy duty rubber band.
The main felt is super-glued to the base so it doesn't fall off.

This size transport fits right into my accessory bag full length.
I do the same : thick rubber band to keep the pedal against the folded leg, and I don't break down any part of the stand. I leave the clutch up on the rod. The hi-hat stand doesn't go in my hardware bag anyway, I leave it on the carpet in front of the back seat of the car.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:26 AM
Gold Member

I just fold the legs up and fold the pedal up.

The clutch lives on the stand,

The back seat footwell in the car is made to put folded up stands in. Not many people know that :) I don't use enough stands to warrant using a hardware bag.

Taking all the stands down and re-assembling falls into the ballache category for me.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:36 PM
Gold Member

I've cut 3" off the rod, so the stand fits in my hardware case intact. I leave the clutch in its normal position clamped onto the rod.

For the person who suggested leaving the clutch attached to the top cymbal - I always take the cymbal off, so that all my cymbals can sit flat in my cymbal case. I also rotate between three sets of hihats, so leaving the clutch on one cymbal is not convenient. I do use a quick release hihat clutch though.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:43 PM
Silver Member

I pretty much do it the OP's way. I typically use two 30" bags with shoulder straps to balance out and carry all my hardware. Only two cymbal stands, snare, hat, throne base and my hand percussion. No big deal.

Never saw collapsing stands and setting them back up as a major hassle. Certainly not enough hassle to justify carrying a golf club size bag around. I'd rather not be knocking into people, walls, or other things while walking into a venue...lol.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:12 PM
Silver Member

I wish more brands would figure out how to keep the pedal folded tight against the folded tripod for transportation ; the rubber band I use is efficient, but somekind of locking system would be appreciated : by busy drummers, ... and hi-hat chain :)

What Tama does is great :
Old 01-16-2018, 05:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrisman View Post
I've cut 3" off the rod, so the stand fits in my hardware case intact. I leave the clutch in its normal position clamped onto the rod.
Ooooh... that is very clever. I'm not gigging this weekend either so this would be a quick modification with a hack saw or an angle grinder.

I normally do just like the OP does except I don't flip the clutch. I use one of those single braced Yamaha stands with the stock clutch. Only downside is that sometimes the clutch slips off and I have to go looking for the metal washer and the rubber pad in my bag.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 01-16-2018, 07:36 PM

Wow this is very interesting (to me at least).

I've never had a hardware case long enough to hold my hihat stand uncollapsed, except when I was using an army duffle bag as a teenager. I experienced one bent rod as a result of this and, like Bo, never wanted to have that happen again.

I also have no interest in having my clutch poking into the fabric of my cymbal bag and into my stick bag which is in a pocket on the back. And again, once you separate the clutch from the stand, there s nothing holding the felt in place (unless you do that superglue idea, which is interesting, but would seem to negate any tilting ability for the bottom cymbal)

I've never felt like setting up hardware was that much of a hassle, but having hardware not in one case or bag means an extra trip in and out of the venue, poking yourself or other people in the process, and that DOES seem like a hassle.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamaefx View Post
I wish more brands would figure out how to keep the pedal folded tight against the folded tripod for transportation ; the rubber band I use is efficient, but somekind of locking system would be appreciated : by busy drummers, ... and hi-hat chain :)

What Tama does is great :
While the floppy pedal doesn't bother me in a hard case because it's usually held in place by all the other stands in there, I can't see a reason NOT to have a more secure system in place, especially if you're using a bag.

I've got some extra of those large Velcro cable straps things lying around. I might try to see if that'll work holding the pedal in place
Old 01-16-2018, 07:53 PM

I forget where I heard about this concept, but this is how I pack the top of my hi-hat stand. I also keep it in a separate bag with my stickbag and accessories, which then goes into my hardware case. I'm on the road quite a bit and have never had a problem.

Name:  hihat2.JPG
Views: 315
Size:  318.3 KB
Name:  hihat1.JPG
Views: 318
Size:  298.2 KB
Old 01-16-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppermint_Sanders View Post
I forget where I heard about this concept, but this is how I pack the top of my hi-hat stand. I also keep it in a separate bag with my stickbag and accessories, which then goes into my hardware case. I'm on the road quite a bit and have never had a problem.

Attachment 80925
Attachment 80924
Interesting. You never lose your felt like that?
Old 01-16-2018, 08:09 PM

Haven't ever had a problem with the felt. The threaded section of the rod holds everything in place. It may be different on other models, but it works fine on my DW9000. I've even just thrown it in the hardware case by itself and it's been just fine. It definitely puts my mind at ease, knowing that rod isn't going to get bent!
Old 01-16-2018, 08:14 PM

It actually works better with the original clutch, as it will actually fit in the tube. I have a lot of fast set ups/tear downs, so it's more efficient to use the bulkier Gibraltar Quick-Release deal.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppermint_Sanders View Post
Haven't ever had a problem with the felt. The threaded section of the rod holds everything in place. It may be different on other models, but it works fine on my DW9000. I've even just thrown it in the hardware case by itself and it's been just fine. It definitely puts my mind at ease, knowing that rod isn't going to get bent!
Oh I see, basically the same as me, just with the rod flipped around! That makes sense in absolutely making sure the rod can't ever come out. Neat.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:13 PM

The hi-hat stand is the ONLY item I have that doesn't get put into a case when traveling to/from gigs (I try to remember to keep a large plastic trash bag in car to cover it in the event rain is possible during load-in/out.....if not, then I run VERY fast with it.)

I keep my other cymbal stands in a rolling hardware bag, with pretty much just the booms hidden to make for a quick set-up.

My hi-hat stand, I fold the legs in and that's it. I lay it CAREFULLY across the top of my hardware bag so the rod doesn't get damaged. I leave the clutch on and tighten it.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:30 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
While the floppy pedal doesn't bother me in a hard case because it's usually held in place by all the other stands in there, I can't see a reason NOT to have a more secure system in place, especially if you're using a bag.

I've got some extra of those large Velcro cable straps things lying around. I might try to see if that'll work holding the pedal in place
I have a gator hardware trolley, which I pack while it's standing upright. The stands slide in and out from above, and the hihat pedal always gets caught.

I was looking at this yesterday and wondering if one or two of those tiny magnets would hold the pedal up. Depends on what metal it's made of though. Velcro looks like another possibility - thanks.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:25 PM

I don't.

On all of my stands, except my ride stand, I don't use the boom arm. I keep everything straight and I don't extend my stands that high to begin with. I fold in the legs and put everything in a mic stand back and they all fit perfectly.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmulcahy1 View Post
Exactly the same thing here.
Same here as well. I think the time saved is waay more valuable than any awkwardness of it not being completely disassembled.

YMMV.

T.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:20 PM
Silver Member

Break down the legs. Remove the hats.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I pack all of my hardware into a suitcase, so I break down my hi hat stand. The time I save hauling everything compactly more than makes up for the extra few seconds it takes me to reassemble the hi hat stand.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 01-17-2018, 06:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I've never had a hardware case long enough to hold my hihat stand uncollapsed, except when I was using an army duffle bag as a teenager.
I actually do use an old army duffel bag to carry my hardware. I like it because I can carry it on my shoulder while I wheel my cart. Makes for a single trip from the car to the gig.

I have also really been wanting to check out one of those Gibraltar quick release clutches. Seems like a great time saver.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 01-18-2018, 01:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
I pack all of my hardware into a suitcase, so I break down my hi hat stand. The time I save hauling everything compactly more than makes up for the extra few seconds it takes me to reassemble the hi hat stand.
I have one of these:

Got it used in 96 or so. Used to belong to Tony Thompson (R.i.P)

The length of the case is the exact width of a Doge mini-van. lol.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
I don't.

This is what I do, too. I have a 48" road case, and had the rod cut down some (why do the hi-hat rods stick SO far up, does anyone play their hi hat that far up) and it fits nicely.

I take the clutch off the cymbal cuz it won't fit in my cymbal bag properly that way. I put the clutch back on the hi hat rod for transport.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:21 PM

I just do the minimum for my DW9000 2-leg

cymbals off, clutch clamped on rod
load it in car lol
Old 01-18-2018, 11:19 PM
Silver Member

Whoah thats super cool Drum Eat Drum....big fan of the man! You own a piece of drum history imho
Old 01-19-2018, 03:33 PM
Platinum Member

I just fold the tripod legs up and put it in my SKB Golf Club case with everything else.