DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear

Drum Gear Reviews and Discussions of Drums - Pedals - Cymbals - Sticks - Heads - Electronic Drums

Old 01-09-2018, 10:26 PM

Default Age induced gear change - thoughts?

The recent thread about Vinnie Colauita changing sticks made me wonder if age and physical need precipitated his change. Perhaps he reached a physical point where he wanted/needed a different feel or balance in the stick and switching companies was the easiest (design and financially) to do. But I'll let that debate/discussion remain in that thread.

It did make me wonder outside of downsizing kits, bass drums particularly, what other changes in gear and equipment has age brought upon us:

-Perhaps loss of hearing (with regard to specific frequencies) makes us choose different cymbals because the old ones "don't sound like they used to." The same thing I guess could be said of heads too.

-Using drum thrones w/ a back support or an air cylinder because sitting a certain way for prolonged periods can be a challenge.

-Finally getting an automatic because driving a manual/shift is too much on the knees.

What other gear changes have you made due to a physical requirement?
Old 01-09-2018, 10:30 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Age induced gear change - thoughts?

I think you've officially thought about it more than Vinnie.

Focusing on sticks will not help anyone's drumming and age will have very little to do with stick choice.

What I do see is that as drummers age, we tend to make our whole setup more ergonomic, smaller and easier to get around without acrobatics or reaching.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:42 PM
Platinum Member

I've always maintained that.... If you want to figure out what you like, you need to try a wide variety of things, otherwise, how would you know any better? I've applied this to many facets of my life, and have been enriched by it (in terms of wisdom and well being).
Old 01-09-2018, 11:48 PM

Over the years I've made these changes due to, I hate to admit, age:
  • Downsized from a five to a four piece setup to accommodate moving ride cymbal closer to left side of bass drum where second tom used to be.
  • Lowered cymbals.
  • Roc N Soc seat with back rest.
  • Went from five rides to three.
  • Used clamps to eliminate two cymbal stand bases.

Getting old sucks.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:44 AM
Platinum Member

Throughout my life I've always tried to play two-up kits, only to always go back to one-up kits (as in basic four-piece). I reserve the right to continue to try playing two toms on top of my bass drum, but I don't know if this is an age-evolved thing or not. My sizes haven't changed much since I started when I was 8 to now that I'm 51.

Maybe the one thing that I insist on more and more is a perfectly smooth bass drum pedal. I cut my teeth on a squeaky Speed King, but when I went to the Camco-style pedal, my playing changed and became easier. Everything else has been what it has been since I began.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
I think you've officially thought about it more than Vinnie.

Focusing on sticks will not help anyone's drumming and age will have very little to do with stick choice.

What I do see is that as drummers age, we tend to make our whole setup more ergonomic, smaller and easier to get around without acrobatics or reaching.
While I whole-heartedly agree that we become more efficient and ergonomic with time, I disagree with what you say about sticks. I've surpassed hurdles in my playing over the years by switching to a different type of stick that was better suited to either a style of play I was striving for, or to better accommodate a change in my technique. So stick choice can be an important part of one's development.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:12 AM

I guess I'm going to be the outlier here. My drum set has expanded over time to offer me more tonal range. And I've added more cymbals, for the same reason.

And I've raised my cymbals, to provide better separation for recording.

But as Dr_Watso mentioned, most changes that come with age have to do with becoming more efficient around the kit, so I can say that I've often tweaked angles, heights, etc. in an effort to improve that efficiency in addition to what I was doing on my own in terms of technique.

It should be also said that at my age of a year shy of 50, I'm still playing extreme metal, and trying to play faster and faster, and of course with more dexterity and musicianship.

One thing I have done in the past decade, is increase my physical workouts and activity... so that I can play the grueling stuff with more stamina.

One could hire a drum tech though... that would probably be the best age-related investment. LOL
Old 01-10-2018, 07:22 AM
Platinum Member

The only two things I have changed that are probably due to age are:

Using Vic Firth Active Grip drum sticks instead plain wood sticks. I started using them a couple of years ago and now I'm addicted to them.
If I play really hard and loud I can develop blisters from the increased grip they provide. But I have only played that way twice in the last 4 years.

I divided up my drums and hardware into several smaller bags for easy lifting. And I use a cart with four wheels.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:16 AM
Platinum Member

Oh sure.

I loved the sound and look of my big rock kit, but last year I finally bit the bullet and admitted that I was not physically up to playing it the way I wanted with the extremely limited amount of practise I'm able to fit in these days.

So I downscaled to a setup that's much easier to move around. I really miss the rumble of the bigger toms, but I really like the feel of playing the smaller kit; it's just so much easier.

Went from this (12, 16, 18, 24):

To this (10, 12, 16, 22):
Old 01-10-2018, 08:49 AM
Pioneer Member

My only age induced gear change is a regular upgrade of my B.S. meter.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klamhammer View Post
While I whole-heartedly agree that we become more efficient and ergonomic with time, I disagree with what you say about sticks. I've surpassed hurdles in my playing over the years by switching to a different type of stick that was better suited to either a style of play I was striving for, or to better accommodate a change in my technique. So stick choice can be an important part of one's development.
Yea, we'll have to disagree. When I was earlier in my drumming career I used to think that gear made a big difference,(I even spent too much time worrying about sticks myself) but as I age and gain more experience, I see that it's really just something for our brain to blame and focus on. As long as we aren't playing something that's broken or setup in an extremely incorrect way, musical knowledge, well executed technique and practice are the only things that really matter.

To put it a blunt way, if you can't do it with any stick you pick up, you can't really do it. You're on the edge of the technique and dependent upon a specific thing.

Obviously this is still just my own opinion, but it's an opinion that changed into what it is over time and experience.

So if you ask me, don't go on some weird journey to find the "perfect" stick for your ideal situation. Sure, spend a few minutes at the store with a practice pad and pick something that feels good, but don't put too much focus on the gear when you could be focusing on what matters to a musician. Also consider that if you play the standard common sizes, you'll never have to look around to find your stick even when out on the road or in an emergency.