DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 06-17-2006, 12:40 AM

Default snare heads huh?

I was wondering what a good snare head for me to get would be. I have a begginner set as of now, w/ a steel snare. I play rock funk fusion, and loud, lol. So what is a good head

respond please!

fatedrummer
Old 06-17-2006, 03:22 AM

Default Re: snare heads huh?

I have a steel snare, and what I have on it right now is an Evans Genera Dry. Its a great head that dries out the sound. The only things I dont like about it is that it's a bit on the ringy side, and since it's a 1-ply head, it isnt super durable, which is why I'm switching to an Evans HD Dry when I get a new snare head. The HD Dry (from what I understand) is just a 2-ply version of the Genera Dry. Hope this helps!

My Kit
Old 06-17-2006, 03:26 AM
Platinum Member

I really like Aquarian texture coated (little bit thicker than REMO ambassador) and the coating stay on the head longer than any other brand. You can try too Aquarian High-Energy (if you're an hard hitter) or studio-x if you like a little bit of a dryer sound.

If you want to go with REMO, I'd go with coated Ambassador or Controlled sound (CS) and with EVANS, I'd try the coated G1 or Power Center reverse dot.

Good luck, but like I said, dont count out Aquarian, they have amazing snare head :-)

My Kit Latest Update
Old 06-16-2007, 05:34 AM
44Ronin

Coated Ambassador. Or CS DOT
Old 06-17-2007, 08:27 PM

evans reverse power dot head.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:03 PM

try evans hd dry, nice head
Old 06-19-2007, 12:40 AM
fourstringdrums

It's personal preference. As you can already see, you're going to get a million different answers. Any brand name head, Remo, Evans, Aquarian etc.. is going to be a vast improvement. The only decisive thing I can say is that if you play hard, and play rock, you will want to look more for a 2-ply head for durability and a more focused sound.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:41 AM

i concur with the guy above (about how about you are going to get about as many good answers as their are drummers). but dont limit your self to a two ply head. there is a lot out there. even consider clear heads (neil peart used a clear snare head through a lot of the 80s). clears are supposidly louder.

just know that the thicker your head, the less sensitive the drum and rebound are going to be. i have an evans reverse power dot on mine. i can get great buzz rolls right until i hit the dot. the sound acts just the same.
really, even a single ply like a g1 will work, but it wont last as long as the thicker ones if you really beat it. its all about finding the sound you want.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:05 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDrums24 View Post
i concur with the guy above (about how about you are going to get about as many good answers as their are drummers). but dont limit your self to a two ply head. there is a lot out there. even consider clear heads (neil peart used a clear snare head through a lot of the 80s). clears are supposidly louder.

just know that the thicker your head, the less sensitive the drum and rebound are going to be. i have an evans reverse power dot on mine. i can get great buzz rolls right until i hit the dot. the sound acts just the same.
really, even a single ply like a g1 will work, but it wont last as long as the thicker ones if you really beat it. its all about finding the sound you want.
Oh yes I should have said there are no hard and fast rules, but just that with rock music the first thing I would look at is a 2 ply head, if I was a heavy hitter. There are so many types of heads out there that really you just have to experiment.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:19 AM
Rickk

Aquarian sent me a Texture coated head to try on my Black Beauty Snare, absolutely
wonderful, Love it.
Just when I thought, that snare couldn't sound any better.
I am quickly becoming a big fan of Aquarian Heads.

Rick
Old 06-19-2007, 08:24 AM
Pioneer Member

Since you say that you play hard, I would suggest a Remo Emperor (2 ply) head. No offense to other brands as I am just partial to the classic and tried and true Remo sound! You could also opt for the Coated CS or even the Emperor X (Emperor with a dot).

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 06-25-2007, 07:46 PM

Ive always been playing Remo coated ambassador on my snaredrum, never really been in the mood to try new ones either, im just very comfortable with it. Try it out!
/Marten Kaiser