DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:12 PM

Default Wrap vs. Stain

Opinions...........?
Old 12-14-2017, 10:27 PM

Default Re: Wrap vs. Stain

It's stain for me....
Attached Images

Let me explain this once more..
Snares are like handbags,
Cymbals are like shoes!
Old 12-14-2017, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

For me, it was PBL. There's nothing like real lacquer on a musical instrument.

Sonically, stain (under Lacquer/CA/Poly/nitro) will place fewer restrictions on the shell, though the difference is infinitesimal to most ears. There's a couple A/B comparisons out there, and you'll likely come to the conclusion that the difference isn't enough to worry about in most circumstances.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:56 PM

I like a good job in both.

I have an old 70's ludwig which had a white marine pearl wrap on it. I took the wrap off and put some poly on the bare wood. It looks gorgeous.

but, now I'm bored again and was thinking about putting a vintage black oyster pearl wrap on it.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:03 PM
Administrator

There are some woods that just cry for stain, and yet there are some wraps that I am in love with. Gretsch has a White Pearl flame that I would love to find for a snare. If I was using a decent set for gigging it would have to be wraps.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:08 PM
Gold Member

My good sounding kit for recording and classy gigs is lacquered.

The kit that gets thrown around bars and dives is wrapped - less likely to get scratched. And the 50's band gets a pearl wrap kit for looks.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:10 AM
Platinum Member

Lacquer all they way, higher resale value, implies a higher quality instrument.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:01 AM
Silver Member

If the wrap is properly applied, as in fully glued to the shell, then it's whatever looks best.

A proper wrap job will sound almost the same as a non wrapped kit IME. But a poor wrap will muffle the drums and cut back on resonance.

Removed wrap on a few kits that only had it taped on, and there was a huge improvement in the drums sound.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:17 AM
Ghostnote

I simply must own a Gretsch kit in Chestnut Duco nitrocelulose lacquer one day. That finish absolutely REEKS of class. For now though, I've got an ongoing love affair with vintage wraps, the stankier the better. So durable and funky. PUT SOME STANK ON IT!!!
Old 12-15-2017, 08:45 AM
Platinum Member

My Gretsch is a wrap - which I really like. But I must admit I'd love a blond natural or walnut stained one, but that's not in the cards.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:52 PM

I'm a wood guy, I always default to the optics of wood grain, heck we built a log cabin, so we love wood. I am a stain guy.......

I just think wraps look "meh".....no matter how high end the underlying drum is.

This is why having so many choices is fantastic in the marketplace
Old 12-15-2017, 03:13 PM
Silver Member

If the grain is interesting, then wood. But it’s really tough for me to look at something like this and think it spells cheap....

Last edited by AzHeat; 12-17-2017 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:31 PM

What do you guys suggest I do with this ludwig?

As I mentioned before, I removed the wrap and liked the blonde enough to just put a few coats of poly on it. Picture on top is how it looked when I was using it, its been sitting in cases for a few years now.

I was thinking buffing it out again and putting a dark mahogany stain on it, but then I remembered how laborious that was and am thinking of just putting a black oyster wrap on it.

Thoughts?
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2017, 03:48 PM
Silver Member

If you've already sanded it once, doing it a second time may be risky. That black oyster wrap is timeless and speaks to the drums well.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:27 PM
Ghostnote

Ludwig just re-introduced Blue Strata! Just another option...
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2017, 06:42 PM

I'm about the stain myself. I find as a Drumsmith most people don't want wraps as they seems to bubble and peel over time. Stain is forever.
I have a Gretsch Catalina Club rock kit in the tribal wrap & over the years of clubs, bars and outdoor Phoenix/Tucson gigs in the heat, it's got some bubbling going on.

I've been giving serious consideration to peeling the wrap and bringing out the mahogany underneath.
My issue is the hardware is black & I'm not sure how that would look.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderRoss View Post
I'm about the stain myself. I find as a Drumsmith most people don't want wraps as they seems to bubble and peel over time. Stain is forever.
I have a Gretsch Catalina Club rock kit in the tribal wrap & over the years of clubs, bars and outdoor Phoenix/Tucson gigs in the heat, it's got some bubbling going on.

I've been giving serious consideration to peeling the wrap and bringing out the mahogany underneath.
My issue is the hardware is black & I'm not sure how that would look.
I'd look into a google search to try and see the color or go to a drum parts site and order some new ones.

I just did that for my surpraphonic, stripped it and painted it black and put new parts on it. Looks incredible.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:14 PM

Maybe this is a cop-out, but I just tend to respect the original designer of the instrument, even if it came off a Chinese production line - so if it's wrapped it's wrapped, if it's stained it's stained.

I've de-wrapped supposedly good quality drums before now with a view to refinishing them as stained/laquered, only to find the quality of the grain to be so ugly (typically open, coarse and uneven) that I've re-wrapped them again. I have in fact noticed that on many de-wrapped kits; staining/lacquering the shell as it is once a wrap has been removed can often look exactly as if that's what you've done. Not that surprising, given that the actual wood on a wrapped kit was never meant to be seen. If I attempted something similar again I'd probably use veneer.

I've also found - particularly on vintage drums - that the thickness of the wrap needs to be taken into account regarding hardware fitting. For example, I've got drums with tension rods that are angled slightly inwards because the lugs no longer sit on a layer of wrap.

My own view about the sonic effect of wrap is that if it exists it's too minimal to worry about.

I also like buying cheap drums to experiment on, so the universal availability of black and more-or-less-matching wine red wraps across different brands is very useful when putting a try-out kit together. : )
Old 12-15-2017, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearblastbeats View Post

As I mentioned before, I removed the wrap and liked the blonde enough to just put a few coats of poly on it. Picture on top is how it looked when I was using it, its been sitting in cases for a few years now.

I was thinking buffing it out again and putting a dark mahogany stain on it, but then I remembered how laborious that was and am thinking of just putting a black oyster wrap on it.

Thoughts?

When we're talking about a nice finish, we usually use the factory OEM finish as a measure. To refinish a drum kit takes many hours, and only the best wood refinishers will get it looking like (a good) factory standard.

IMO your kit is a wrap candidate, unless you're an ace wood person and want to put in the hrs the kit is going to end up looking like some person just sanded it and threw some stain and clear on it. Its very very rare you see a real nice refinish job that's not a wrap.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Thoughts?

I'd leave it like it is, and just refinish the bass drum hoops.

Edit: forgot about the original question - ha ha.
I like both wraps, and lacquer/stain/paint finishes. They all can look great.

Last edited by wildbill; 12-16-2017 at 05:20 AM.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:04 AM
Platinum Member

Most of my kits are wrapped but I like both. Satin can look pretty sweet too. I like simplicity in the look of a kit whether it's wrapped or laquered. Nothing too garish.

If I have to choose I'd go with wrap, probably a sparkle or glass glitter.

That WMP Sonor above is gorgeous.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdevil9 View Post

That WMP Sonor above is gorgeous.
Indeed! It's dressed to kill.

The problem is it makes the rest of the band look like roadkill.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
I'd leave it like it is, and just refinish the bass drum hoops.

Edit: forgot about the original question - ha ha.
I like both wraps, and lacquer/stain/paint finishes. They all can look great.
+1. Get the bass hoops to match and give it a good clean if its been stored for a few years. I'd only rewrap a drumset if it looks bad - yours looks fine to me.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:23 AM
Silver Member

Check this video from INDe Drums:

https://youtu.be/6fr4esT3KTQ

There’s a difference in sound. I’d take the stained shell myself, but the slightly more muted sound from the wrapped drum could be valid too based on your preference.
Wraps are more durable and there are some beautiful finishes out there. A White Marine Pearl will never go out of fashion.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:12 PM

Last week I got a Ludwig 8" Evolution tom. Transparent black finish looks really nice (photograph here does not do it justice). Horizontal wood grain pattern makes me think of a pint of Guinness at it is being poured.

But now here is something I noticed: with this new drum the heads over-hang the shell noticeably more than with the no-name black wrapped 8" tom that I am replacing.

I put a new calfskin head on top... but below is a comparison photo of the clear reso-heads on both drums [lacquered shell on left, wrapped shell on right].

Is this diameter differential a standard expectation when comparing a lacquered shell to a wrapped shell ? Or is Ludwig's Evolution series a narrower-than-usual drum ?
Attached Images

Last edited by JoePasko; 12-17-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:05 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePasko View Post
Last week I got a Ludwig 8" Evolution tom. Transparent black finish looks really nice (photograph here does not do it justice). Horizontal wood grain pattern makes me think of a pint of Guinness at it is being poured.

But now here is something I noticed: with this new drum the heads over-hang the shell noticeably more than with the no-name black wrapped 8" tom that I am replacing.

I put a new calfskin head on top... but below is a comparison photo of the clear reso-heads on both drums [lacquered shell on left, wrapped shell on right].

Is this diameter differential a standard expectation when comparing a lacquered shell to a wrapped shell ? Or is Ludwig's Evolution series a narrower-than-usual drum ?
Wraps thicken the shell quite a bit so yes that is about normal.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
I'd look into a google search to try and see the color or go to a drum parts site and order some new ones.

I just did that for my surpraphonic, stripped it and painted it black and put new parts on it. Looks incredible.
Good call.
I recently saw an SJC kit in mahogany with dark gunmetal grey lugs that pretty much gave me the look I'd get.
I'll start with the snare first & go from there.