DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:48 AM

Default Has anyone taken a Drumcation before?

I had this crazy idea last night to take a Drumcation... I booked an Airbnb cabin in the woods (northern cali) for 5 days, 4 nights, and am going to take my full A-kit + E-kit + camera rig + PA/Monitors + DAW rig up, and just play/practice for the whole time. Between gigging and prep, I rarely get more than an hour stretch to practice at a time, and even then I'm lucky if it's on a real kit.

I know playing for this long is going to be a shock to my body, hence I'm mixing it up with recording/video aspects to make it a little more fun and break up the practice.

Is this a dumb idea, or has anyone else done this before? What would you guys do with the time?
Old 12-13-2017, 09:02 AM
Ghostnote

Default Re: Has anyone taken a Drumcation before?

It's not a dumb idea at all. I'm quite envious of you. I've done it before, but with a whole band. It was really fun. We went to the middle of nowhere and played for 4 days in a log cabin that belonged to our bass player's brother. He met us up there and he happened to be a phenomenal guitar player, so he jammed with us the whole time. It was a real hoot.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:23 AM
Platinum Member

Drumming all day is possible if you take a sort of athletes approach to nutrition and when you take a break you lay down, really relax and maybe lift your legs up.

I've done that for months on end, but taking one day off every week.

When he forearms start giving out I had a pint of elderberry tea with just a little bit of protein powder and some enzymes. Takes care of it in minutes.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:06 PM
Gold Member

Took a sabbatical from work to just play in bands when I was still at home. Could still pay rent/bills and survive just about.

Did original stuff in the week and paid stuff Friday - Sunday.

Did it more to get away from work.

Sometimes happiness is more important. I'd kill to be able to do it now!

Still less work than having to do a recital mind!
Old 12-13-2017, 02:12 PM

I do it once a year. For the past two years, in fact, I've done it in Nocal too. Its a great idea. I would go into it with a plan and some goals otherwise you may just piss the time away doodling on the kit. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:44 PM

Yesterday I was informed that my request for a sabbatical year has been approved. So I will dedicate most of 2018 to improve my musical skills. Will finally put everything into learning guitar and bass, and work on my drumming. I plan to shed on the practice pad everyday and 2 or 3 times a week with the acoustic kit.

I still have a few work-related pending things to do in the first few months and also have a family to attend, but I really want to set a schedule and dedicate 4 hours each day to music.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeylifer View Post
I do it once a year. For the past two years, in fact, I've done it in Nocal too. Its a great idea. I would go into it with a plan and some goals otherwise you may just piss the time away doodling on the kit. Just my 2 cents.
Completely agreed.... I have a long list of things that I'm planning to work on, and it far exceeds 4 days, so I just need to prioritize. I'll even post it once I get it figured out :) But at a high-level, since I don't get that much dedicated A-kit time, I'm saving all of the A-kit-specific work for daytime (Groove, rudiments around the kit, double-kick, improving my feel in other genres) and all the eKit stuff for night (time/tempo, independence)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd-Arne Oseberg View Post
Drumming all day is possible if you take a sort of athletes approach to nutrition and when you take a break you lay down, really relax and maybe lift your legs up.

I've done that for months on end, but taking one day off every week.

When he forearms start giving out I had a pint of elderberry tea with just a little bit of protein powder and some enzymes. Takes care of it in minutes.
Awesome tip on the elderberry tea... I lift as well so protein/dextrose was on the packing list, but any tips on relieving soreness is cool :)
Old 12-14-2017, 11:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhardrummer View Post
I had this crazy idea last night to take a Drumcation... I booked an Airbnb cabin in the woods (northern cali) for 5 days, 4 nights, and am going to take my full A-kit + E-kit + camera rig + PA/Monitors + DAW rig up, and just play/practice for the whole time. Between gigging and prep, I rarely get more than an hour stretch to practice at a time, and even then I'm lucky if it's on a real kit.

I know playing for this long is going to be a shock to my body, hence I'm mixing it up with recording/video aspects to make it a little more fun and break up the practice.

Is this a dumb idea, or has anyone else done this before? What would you guys do with the time?

We used to do this with psychedelics, but at gigs, not alone in a cabin... yup, the stuff your drum teacher couldn't teach, that's what we'd be working on.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I booked an Airbnb cabin in the woods (northern cali) for 5 days, 4 nights
Are you sure you'll be able to play without disturbing neighbors?
Old 12-15-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumming sort of person View Post
Are you sure you'll be able to play without disturbing neighbors?
I made it pretty clear in my posting.... will be playing loud music and need to be more than 200 ft from closest neighbor. Told them I'm a musician bringing gear to create for the 5 days... sooooo.... I did my part I think? :)
Old 12-15-2017, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I made it pretty clear in my posting.... will be playing loud music and need to be more than 200 ft from closest neighbor. Told them I'm a musician bringing gear to create for the 5 days... sooooo.... I did my part I think? :)
I dunno... playing loud music is one thing. Playing acoustic drums may be a surprise.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:21 PM
Administrator

I can imagine the complaints coming forth in the quiet, serene woods. Most people go to get away from noise other than chipmunks and squirrels.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
I can imagine the complaints coming forth in the quiet, serene woods. Most people go to get away from noise other than chipmunks and squirrels.
Count on this happening. Sound travels further in the forest than most realize and considering it's California, complaint will come no matter how quiet it is.
That being said, I do wish you the best on this endeavor. It's a really good idea, one that I'll consider here in my hometown.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:28 PM
Platinum Member

I think you'll be fine. Worst case, you just have to abide by noise regulations which typically only cover later and early hours, so your day can be drumming. If people complain tell them too bad. You have permission from the owner and they can call the cops if they feel you're doing something illegal. You also won't have to deal with fallout as you won't be there past a few days.

Also, to this end, look up the local laws beforehand.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
I think you'll be fine. Worst case, you just have to abide by noise regulations which typically only cover later and early hours, so your day can be drumming. If people complain tell them too bad. You have permission from the owner and they can call the cops if they feel you're doing something illegal. You also won't have to deal with fallout as you won't be there past a few days.

Also, to this end, look up the local laws beforehand.
Great tip!
Quote:
Subject to the exceptions in Section 8.20.070 of this chapter, in the daytime, no person shall make noise louder than 75 dBA measured twenty-five feet from the source. If a different limit is specified in Section 8.20.070 of this chapter, no person shall make a noise louder than that limit.
I looked up 75dbA and it says the sound of a toilet flushing lol... anyone have an idea of how loud drums would be when measured outside a house (20 feet)?
Old 12-16-2017, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member

That depends on how sealed the house is. Close call.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:24 AM

Reporting back... finished my 5th day of drumacation, and it all worked out splendidly. I converted the living room to a recording studio with my A-kit, E-kit, QSC PA and DAW/Mics. It was really awesome just waking up, hopping on a kit, switching between kits/pad and repeating ad-nauseum. In the breaks I would introduce stretching/planks/light yoga just to keep the soreness down.

Played close to 7 hours each day, split between practice-pad work, rudiments on the A-kit (mostly displaced sixes and 4s over 6s for some reason), timing/tempo on the E-kit, and laying down tracks/video. I really feel like I'm walking away a noticeably better drummer.

I did pay quietly with a towel on the snare and a pillow on the kick reso.. actually brought my sound meter and set it up outside to take some measurements. I was barely hitting 50dBA from 20ft away and was hitting with enough volume to accomplish what I needed. Cutting as much of the low-end out helped since that was what was traveling sound-wise. As everyone knows, practicing quietly is way harder than loud, so it served my purpose anyway :)

Highly encourage folks to do this if they ever have the chance!
Attached Images